Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish language revival

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭Reati

janfebmar wrote: »
    Its ok having the odd immigrant in a Gaelscoil as long as they integrate to the Gaelscoil way of life.

:eyeroll: obvious troll is obvious

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

So Irish people want to retain their Irish identity, what's wrong with that!
    Labelling it as racist/xenophobic is wrong, very wrong.

No I believe it's sectarian in nature. Look at those SF idiots up north making a Stormont issue out of the Irish language.

Pump all the money wasted on the dead language into hurling, handball, football, camogie, dancing, music etc. Promoting a language that only 'true' Irish people speak only comes across as secretive and sectarian in nature.

Please don't patronise us with the odd example of a black boy playing hurling and speaking as gaeilge to prove it's all inclusive. I am hugely involved in the Galway GAA scene and it certainly isn't. I have seen many supporters very uncomfortable with 'foreigners' playing Gaelic games, especially in rural clubs. They can't help it - they tend to be older and religious too.

Patriotism is when love of your own people comes first; nationalism, when hate for people other than your own comes first.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

Those people are definitely out there. Sad part is they have probably never left their own county never mind the country.
    They’re not representing the ireland I know In any way whatsoever. The ignorance and stupidity of it is appalling but thankfully they’re a dying breed.
    We beat them in marriage equality we beat them by repealing the 8th it’s not that ireland anymore and their hate and racism have no place in this ireland.

Those people are definitely out there. Sad part is they have probably never left their own county never mind the country.
    They’re not representing the ireland I know In any way whatsoever. The ignorance and stupidity of it is appalling but thankfully they’re a dying breed.
    We beat them in marriage equality we beat them by repealing the 8th it’s not that ireland anymore and their hate and racism have no place in this ireland.

Yeah but they are passing on their prejudices too. It's just that the current generation of parents are better able to hide their feelings. Again it is my perception but this Irish revival is a another way of staying separate to the 'new' Irish. I am all for Irish identity but I also think Irish identity can change.
    Jaysus we are only here for 75 off years, far more important things than identity. Now go away you freaks, I want to watch the hurling. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,366 ✭✭✭✭ted1

If I am being honest, I think the whole Irish language obsession is coming from people who want to differentiate themselves from the influx of immigrants over the past 20 years. There is definitely a racist/xenophobic element to it - especially the Gaelscoils.

That’s just Bull****

I sent mine to one as it is the best school around and feeds into a good gaelcolaiste that’s free. There’s not many good free secondary schools in south Dublin.

• Advertisement

ted1 wrote: »
    That’s just Bull****

Yeah there’s a Gemma o doolallee level of stupid in that one alright

Dead language? Yeah right. To some maybe

https://twitter.com/unakavanagh/status/1135118828361461766?s=21

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭janfebmar

Dead language? Yeah right.

A few old videos or books, which few will ever read, and which were probably made with "funding" or handouts, do not prove anything. How many books / magazines / newspapers do people ever part with their hard earned own money for?

A few old videos or books, which few will ever read, and which were probably made with "funding" or handouts, do not prove anything. How many books / magazines / newspapers do people ever part with their hard earned own money for?

Clearly loads do. You have some serious hate in you for ireland. Why are you even here?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

J at least it's not as bad as Ulster Scotts. A "language" with no difference to English.

• Advertisement

Clearly loads do. You have some serious hate in you for ireland. Why are you even here?

QED.

It will be soon time to expel non Irish speakers :D

steddyeddy wrote: »
    J at least it's not as bad as Ulster Scotts. A "language" with no difference to English.

I know your making a joke but I've a Scots Gaelige kids book that was delivered by mistake. It's incredible how different it is to Irish Gaeilge. I'd not understand a word they say though the accent doesn't help!

36 euro yesterday. About 18 during the week. Oh 12 euro, a week or two before as Cluiche na Corónach was on sale.

Someone must be making coin somewhere...

Clearly loads do. You have some serious hate in you for ireland.

I love Ireland, it's the Irish language which is the topic of this discussion and it was beaten in to me at school. What a waste of time and effort and taxpayers money Irish is in this country

I love Ireland, it's the Irish language which is the topic of this discussion and it was beaten in to me at school. What a waste of time and effort and taxpayers money Irish is in this country
    Only Irish was beaten into you, did the teachers not bother beating English, Maths & history etc into you so

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭El Tarangu

Reati wrote: »
    Show me the figures! You don't get to toss out 11billion and walk away. The breakdown is online and you're disingenuous to state a significant slice is on Irish only.

I haven't been able to find your €48m figure online anywhere, but this article suggests that €67.5m of the Department of Culture, Heritage and the Gaeltacht budget is spent on promotion of the Irish language. This figure takes no account of the amount spent on the language under the Dept of Education budget. I don't think that there is a subject-by-subject breakdown the this dept's budget (at primary level, for sure). But your claim that the only cost associated with the Irish language is €48m, without taking into account that a portion of the separate DoE budget is also spent on the language, is completely disingenuous.

Only Irish was beaten into you, did the teachers not bother beating English, Maths & history etc into you so

Let those who want to study Irish language as a hobby do so. All other school subjects were of use. I never heard Irish spoken (Apart from a cuppa focail) since leaving school, which was many years ago. It is a dead language

Let those who want to study Irish language as a hobby do so. All other school subjects were of use. I never heard Irish spoken (Apart from a cuppa focail) since leaving school, which was many years ago. It is a dead language
    You didn't answer the question about the beatings..

• Registered Users Posts: 33,172 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Not aimed at me, I know, bit l answer it as I was in the sane boat.

No, they didn't.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

You don’t use It so it’s a dead language?
    That some serious self centered myopia right there

• Advertisement

Virtually nobody else uses it, despite the huge amount of time, effort and money spent on it, so that is what makes it a dead language.

Irish was beat in to me at school. We all knew once we left school it would be of no further use and we were right. Them were the days.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,090 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Virtually nobody else uses it, despite the huge amount of time, effort and money spent on it, so that is what makes it a dead language.

Sigh. Proof by blatant assertion. "I say Virtually nobody else...' - uhh, who is this else?

Friday night at the local pub with the Comortas Gaelige running locally, place was packed with young people. The minority were speaking English. Had to be 50+ there, all speaking Irish.

Though I did hear someone ask for the Irish for "Relegation" in one conversation.

Is there an Irish language section on boards, or better still an Irish language version of boards.ie? Why not get 100% grant and set one up?

That some serious self centered myopia right there

• Registered Users Posts: 10,298 ✭✭✭✭branie2

It's a pity there's no voice output for Irish on Google Translate

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Yeah, anybody who doesn't like your version of being Irish should **** off - very reasonable suggestion. :rolleyes:

Del.Monte wrote: »
    Yeah, anybody who doesn't like your version of being Irish should **** off - very reasonable suggestion. :rolleyes:

never said that. Or implied it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

Beaten into me by a collection of ideologues and left a lifelong bitter taste.

There is a way to teach cultural heritage but terrorizing children isn't one of them.

Haven't spoken a word since June 1980 and actively encourage my own kids to avoid.

Gospel!
    Its also questionable about who they let teach. I had a teacher who got a political appointment (He was someones nephew in Kerry and no school between Kilkenny and Kerry wanted him). Bloody loon took time away from the REAL subjects (Maths and English) so everyone could do "Onorocha".

Finally someone got sense and paid him to retire early after a court case.

• Advertisement

El Tarangu wrote: »
    I haven't been able to find your €48m figure online anywhere, but this article suggests that €67.5m of the Department of Culture, Heritage and the Gaeltacht budget is spent on promotion of the Irish language. This figure takes no account of the amount spent on the language under the Dept of Education budget. I don't think that there is a subject-by-subject breakdown the this dept's budget (at primary level, for sure). But your claim that the only cost associated with the Irish language is €48m, without taking into account that a portion of the separate DoE budget is also spent on the language, is completely disingenuous.

You didn't try very hard then did you. Attached the figures for you direct from the government website.

Anyway, given your unable or unwilling to work out numbers for education (more proof if you ask me maths is clearly thought badly in schools).

Let me help you out.

3.69 billion is the cost of teachers wages (excluding any extras they might get for subbing etc) in both primary and secondary. I'm been nice including secondary as most secondary teachers don't teach Irish.

Let's divide that by 1/8 as that's around the time spent teaching Irish and we get 461 million in wages if all teachers in primary and secondary were to teach Irish.

As we know, that's not true in secondary so let's do the numbers for just primary which is 303 million.

So we're up to 351 million. Still well short of a billion. Even if we include the secondary figures, still well short.

So let's get to the next part of the debate (God its almost like I've heard every argument here a BILLION times before). We should remove Irish from schools and spend the money else where. It's a waste.

Cool, Should we make the school day shorter by 3.5hrs a week, pay the teachers less or fork out to have all the teachers upskilled in another subject? Let's not forget the Irish teachers in secondary, do we fire them? We'd only have to replace them with teachers of the other subject. Those wages arent some magic pot of gold that can be rerouted somewhere else.

Hence why I use the 48 million figure as it's direct government spend on the Irish langauge.

Advertisement