Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Homelessness on the rise (over 130 more children) - Mod Warning Post #392

Options

Comments

This is a positive move. I hope that it gets the go ahead. https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2019/0501/1046753-co-living-housing-application/

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

This is a positive move. I hope that it gets the go ahead. https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2019/0501/1046753-co-living-housing-application/

Co-living is an interesting idea. Essentially studio apartments, generally with a number of communal areas for use by residents.

I can see how it might appeal particularly to a young/mobile workforce who otherwise might have to house-share.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

Graham wrote: »
    Co-living is an interesting idea. Essentially studio apartments, generally with a number of communal areas for use by residents.

I can see how it might appeal particularly to a young/mobile workforce who otherwise might have to house-share.

All part of the neoliberal goal of lowering the expectations of the many so the few can become richer and richer, make people thankful for anything, decrease standards in certain areas from previous generations until it becomes the norm.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,748 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

terrydel wrote: »
    All part of the neoliberal goal of lowering the expectations of the many so the few can become richer and richer, make people thankful for anything, decrease standards in certain areas from previous generations until it becomes the norm.

Previous generations had bedsits (until ~5 years ago) and tenament flats (until the early 90s).

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭IAmTheReign

I think these are a great idea. If was moving to a new city where I didn't know anyone I would definitely look into something like this assuming it was done right.

There's obviously a risk though that they won't be maintained properly or that one or two problem tenants could really bring down the place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭IAmTheReign

Ah yes, because no one in Irish history ever had to share accommodation until FG were in power right?:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

the standard of housing has been on massive increase for decades, the inner city slums of old are more or less gone, tenement buildings with a whole family in one room are gone.

My grandad worked all his life and the most he could muster was a 3 bed council house for himself, wife and 12 children, that would never be allowed now.

theres differences of opinion here but you're just factually wrong.

I think these are a great idea. If was moving to a new city where I didn't know anyone I would definitely look into something like this assuming it was done right.

There's obviously a risk though that they won't be maintained properly or that one or two problem tenants could really bring down the place.

theyre exempt from social housing requirements, should actually work out pretty well. Nice to see a strategy to house working professionals for once.

Ah yes, because no one in Irish history ever had to share accommodation until FG were in power right?:rolleyes:

We've largely moved away from that, as societal standards have improved, and people can aspire to have a property of their own, lowering expectations towards expecting to have to share is a retrograde step, but fits the neoliberal narrative nicely. Make people thankful for anything at all
    This is undoubtedly the approach now, sure look at how many in this thread alone have been duped into excepting that the biggest homeless crisis in the history of the state is not an issue or even invented?
    Its clear the vast majority posting here are extremely right wing in their views, and will deny this completely.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,748 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Its clear the vast majority posting here are extremely right wing in their views, and will deny this completely.

I was accused of being extremely left wing by another poster not an hour ago!

• Advertisement

the standard of housing has been on massive increase for decades, the inner city slums of old are more or less gone, tenement buildings with a whole family in one room are gone.

My grandad worked all his life and the most he could muster was a 3 bed council house for himself, wife and 12 children, that would never be allowed now.

theres differences of opinion here but you're just factually wrong.

I never said they havent, what I said was the goal now is to lower expectations, which is clearly going on. FG and their ilk use crisis like the one we have now to further their agenda.
    The generation now are the first in history to have it worse than their parents. Let that sink in.

I never said they havent, what I said was the goal now is to lower expectations, which is clearly going on. FG and their ilk use crisis like the one we have now to further their agenda.
    The generation now are the first in history to have it worse than their parents. Let that sink in.

but it depends on how you define worse. The baby boomer generation championed urban sprawl, poor insulation, ever larger properties, poor planning and no environmental concern whatsoever. When you realise thats not sustainable then you have to claw back.

do people have it worse now because you could get cigarettes in the cinema and they cost the equivalent of a quid in my dads day and now I have to stand outside like a lepper and they cost 13 quid, absolutely not. What was done then with regards to housing has led us to where we are now, its a claw back not 'worse off' , houses are better insulated, more secure and more practical now than they were in those days.

just because having a garden big enough for a trampoline is no longer in the 'social housing plan' doesn't mean people are suffering.

Going from old houses sliced into bedsits to insufficient house shares to purpose built co-living spaces is a lowering of expectations?

Its also interesting that nobody seemed to care when a plan for something functionally identical was put in in Tallaght some weeks/months ago (the Cookstown development includes one block of this), but when proposed for Dun Laoghaire it becomes unacceptable somehow.

L1011 wrote: »
    Its also interesting that nobody seemed to care when a plan for something functionally identical was put in in Tallaght some weeks/months ago (the Cookstown development includes one block of this), but when proposed for Dun Laoghaire it becomes unacceptable somehow.

I don't think that will ever go away

1) people who shelled out the postcode tax want nothing cheaper appearing
    2) people whove lived there for decades don't want any change
    3) people due to inherrit there have an interest in no new housing happening
    4) many of the more affluent politicians grew up in these SCD towns
    5) many don't read the article and realise that this doesn't include social housing and isnt for students, putting the comparison in the article frightens people.

My only reservation with the scheme is no parking requirement, pull a tesco stores job and lift it off the ground and have a mostly open carpark with 1 space for every bedroom.

but it depends on how you define worse. The baby boomer generation championed urban sprawl, poor insulation, ever larger properties, poor planning and no environmental concern whatsoever. When you realise thats not sustainable then you have to claw back.

do people have it worse now because you could get cigarettes in the cinema and they cost the equivalent of a quid in my dads day and now I have to stand outside like a lepper and they cost 13 quid, absolutely not. What was done then with regards to housing has led us to where we are now, its a claw back not 'worse off' , houses are better insulated, more secure and more practical now than they were in those days.

just because having a garden big enough for a trampoline is no longer in the 'social housing plan' doesn't mean people are suffering.

They are poorer by all meaningful, quantifiable measures, lower relative income, higher debt etc. There are loads of studies done which you can go and read if you wish. The effect of this will only play out after we are in the grave.

Going from old houses sliced into bedsits to insufficient house shares to purpose built co-living spaces is a lowering of expectations?

Going from aspiring to have a home of your own to yourself/your family, to living in a shared home is a lowering of expectations.

Going from aspiring to have a home of your own to yourself/your family, to living in a shared home is a lowering of expectations.

You're debating against something nobody has suggested.

They are poorer by all meaningful, quantifiable measures, lower relative income, higher debt etc. There are loads of studies done which you can go and read if you wish. The effect of this will only play out after we are in the grave.

not really though, if you want 'affordable' housing back you have to convince all the women to stop working again. We have had a massive explosion in available labour and a decreased need for human labour , and its now standard that its a double income couple bidding on a house.

in my parents day there was none of this foreign holidays, takeaways every few days, 2 cars in the driveway etc... one wage had to support a man, his wife and a gaggle of kids so buying power was severely constrained compared to now.

You're debating against something nobody has suggested.

Im saying that people's expectations are being lowered, by design by the current political leadership and predominant ideology.
    Are you saying this is not the case?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

The Homelessness Report April 2019 has been released:
    https://www.housing.gov.ie/sites/default/files/publications/files/homeless_report_-_april_2019.pdf

Homelessness is on the rise. I've updated the two charts based on the totals they give.

Homelessness (Adults)
    481474.png

Family Homelessness
    481473.png

The latest report does not have commentary where previous reports did. They used to include:
    The long term solution to the current homeless issue is to increase the supply of homes
    or:
    The root cause of increased homelessness is the supply shortage across the housing sector, which in turn is a result of the recent economic collapse and the associated damage to the construction sector. Accordingly the long-term solution to the current homeless issue is to increase the supply of homes.

Slydice wrote: »
    https://www.housing.gov.ie/sites/default/files/publications/files/homeless_report_-_april_2019.pdf

Homelessness is on the rise. I've updated the two charts based on the totals they give.

Homelessness (Adults)
    481474.png

Family Homelessness
    481473.png

The latest report does not have commentary where previous reports did. They used to include:

or:

Great to see a fall in the number of families homeless. The system is obviously working.

Homelessness (Adults)
    481474.png

Family Homelessness
    481473.png

or:

Interesting charts. Are there any similar counting rough sleepers?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,885 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Great to see a fall in the number of families homeless. The system is obviously working.

Obviously I welcome any reduction but I wouldn't be jumpin up & down at 4 families less out of 1733. My primary school maths suggests to me that the celebrated reduction is .23 of a percent. less than quarter of a percent. I think that clearly shows that the government isn't really making any dent in these figures at all

you forgot to mark it as obvious sarcasm.

I suggest the ":rolleyes:" or even a "/s"

• Registered Users Posts: 5,786 ✭✭✭Old diesel

Sleeper12 wrote: »

Obviously I welcome any reduction but I wouldn't be jumpin up & down at 4 families less out of 1733. My primary school maths suggests to me that the celebrated reduction is .23 of a percent. less than quarter of a percent. I think that clearly shows that the government isn't really making any dent in these figures at all

At that small level of decrease - we could easily have an increase again in June.

Remember too that reclassification of figures previously took place. So the decrease could well be people still being funded by section 10

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭The Student

On the contrary with the numbers of landlords leaving the market I would suggest that the policy is working. I would however urge caution to the Govt. Unless they review the treatment of private landlords they risk more leaving the sector to be replaced by institutional landlords.

I think we are in for problems if institutional landlords are the majority supplier of rental accommodation. Once they are big enough they will have the power to dictate rental policy to the Govt rather than the other way around.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,885 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Old diesel wrote: »
    At that small level of decrease - we could easily have an increase again in June.

Or keep decreasing the number by four every month for 433 months or 36 years. Yes these are wonderful figures.

I can't wait for the next election.

Provide some analysis or get a blog instead, link dumping is not acceptable as you've been told before.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,786 ✭✭✭Old diesel

On the contrary with the numbers of landlords leaving the market I would suggest that the policy is working. I would however urge caution to the Govt. Unless they review the treatment of private landlords they risk more leaving the sector to be replaced by institutional landlords.

I think we are in for problems if institutional landlords are the majority supplier of rental accommodation. Once they are big enough they will have the power to dictate rental policy to the Govt rather than the other way around.

Small landlords cannot be depended on for a majority of our rental properties in the longer term imo.

1) Generally disinterested in a wider market beyond their own situation.

2) unable to work closely with other people in the wider market to deliver sustainable market solutions.

3) To have a market made up of mainly small landlords requires a sufficient amount of random people who both have funds AND a willingness to invest in property. Where do you find the numbers.

4) if I am Govt - want to put in sustainable housing solutions - who do I talk to when it comes to dealing with 170 k suppliers of rental housing.

Let's consider how a bigger supplier model might work in future.

1) people for whome housing is their profession and who are interested in the longer.

2) a professional supplier can work with Govt, builders and other suppliers to deliver to the market.

3) in the future 170 k people could invest into a fund. The fund takes on all the property problems and the small investor can invest as much or as little into the fund as desired. This allows more people to invest - even tenants.

4) if there were 20 suppliers into the Dublin market then it's easy for Govt to talk to 20 suppliers both in a meeting with all 20 or meeting individually

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement