Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Homelessness on the rise (over 130 more children) - Mod Warning Post #392

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

I can't understand how so many of us work everyday, save money and make sacrifices to get a deposit and then pay a mortgage for years while others are handed a house, have their rent payed for them and some don't even bother to find gainful employment.

How do people see this as normal or sustainable. It's absolutely sickening

• Registered Users Posts: 28,809 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Blueshoe wrote: »
    I can't understand how so many of us work everyday, save money and make sacrifices to get a deposit and then pay a mortgage for years while others are handed a house, have their rent payed for them and some don't even bother to find gainful employment.

its amazing how many cant see a problem with ever rising house prices, but put up with relatively much lower wage inflation, maybe these are the true unsustainable facts

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    its amazing how many cant see a problem with ever rising house prices, but put up with relatively much lower wage inflation, maybe these are the true unsustainable facts

If wages go up quickly so does everything else.
    Food , drink, fuel etc etc
    Low wage inflation is a good thing.

The housing price inflation is a supply and demand situation

• Registered Users Posts: 5,786 ✭✭✭Old diesel

Wanderer78 wrote: »

The reality is this......

If wages grow slower then rent continously - then your ability to service the rent becomes less and less overtime.

Initially you might try......

1) cutting back on nights out.....

2) trying to work more hours......

The rent still keeps going up faster then the income you can bring in.....

Temporarily you.....

1) take on a 2nd job or even a third....

2) dip into savings.....

Eventually you hit the limits of what can be done as work 2/3 jobs or extra hours becomes unsustainable.

Bear in mind that extra hours or an extra job will mean more tax to pay.....

Landlords whine of the tax - but a tenant working extra hours or a 2nd job to try and pay a landlord fall into the exact same tax trap.

Old diesel wrote: »
    The reality is this......

If wages grow slower then rent continously - then your ability to service the rent becomes less and less overtime.

Initially you might try......

1) cutting back on nights out.....

2) trying to work more hours......

The rent still keeps going up faster then the income you can bring in.....

Temporarily you.....

1) take on a 2nd job or even a third....

2) dip into savings.....

Eventually you hit the limits of what can be done as work 2/3 jobs or extra hours becomes unsustainable.

Bear in mind that extra hours or an extra job will mean more tax to pay.....

Landlords whine of the tax - but a tenant working extra hours or a 2nd job to try and pay a landlord fall into the exact same tax trap.

And why can there not be a reduction in income tax?

Because we have a dysfunctional health service and ever rising social welfare costs among many many other things to fund.

Handouts to those who can't be bothered are an absolute burden to tax payers who should expect their tax money to be spent improving the country.

It's a bottomless pit

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,886 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

I'm on a job in Dominick Street flats. Loads of empty flats here. New ones being built across the road & everyone moves into the new building in 18 months. In the meantime anyone moving out their old flat gets boarded up. What's nuts is that some sleep rough in the complex with empty flats!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,017 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    I'm on a job in Dominick Street flats. Loads of empty flats here. New ones being built across the road & everyone moves into the new building in 18 months. In the meantime anyone moving out their old flat gets boarded up. What's nuts is that some sleep rough in the complex with empty flats!

Prime city centre location, opportunity to knock down the eysore that is there and build something for people who actually work in the city centre, relieving pressure on the market, possibly reduce people's commute times etc.

But no, move the wasters that are on the scratcher that have no need to be in the city centee into brand new apartments, for free effectively. The exact same thing happening over on the southside where the tom kelly flats are/were - why is there social housing being built between dublin's CBD and one of the most expensive postcodes in the country (ranelagh)??

Such a waste of money, time and opportunity

• Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

Slydice wrote: »
    In September 2018, the number of children in homelessness increased by: 136.
    The number of children who became newly homeless was: 193.

The Homelessness Report September 2018 has been released:
    https://www.housing.gov.ie/sites/default/files/publications/files/homeless_report_-_september_2018.pdf

Homelessness is on the rise. I've updated the two charts based on the totals they give.

Homelessness (Adults)
    464565.png

Family Homelessness
    464564.png

The latest report does not have commentary where previous reports did. They used to include:

or:

Coverage of this report:
    Almost 200 children became homeless in the past month in Dublin
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/almost-200-children-became-homeless-in-the-past-month-in-dublin-1.3674650

'Government appears to just accept this as a natural phenomenon' - 193 children became newly-homeless last month
    https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/government-appears-to-just-accept-this-as-a-natural-phenomenon-193-children-became-newlyhomeless-last-month-37455574.html

The number of homeless children in Ireland has risen by 136 in the space of a month
    There are now collectively 9,698 people living in homeless accommodation across Ireland.
    https://www.thejournal.ie/homeless-ireland-september-figures-4303866-Oct2018/

Tweets:
    https://twitter.com/FocusIreland/status/1055142703191810053
    https://twitter.com/MyNameCampaign/status/1055198426642685952
    https://twitter.com/SimonCommunity/status/1055153667500838912
    https://twitter.com/ICHHDUBLIN/status/1055150132142989313
    https://twitter.com/PMVTrust/status/1055181050303918081

Other recent media on homelessness and supply shortage in Ireland:
    'Worrying trend' of people becoming homeless younger
    https://www.rte.ie/news/munster/2018/1019/1005174-novas-limerick/

Residential property prices have risen by 8.6% so far this year
    https://www.thejournal.ie/cso-house-prices-ireland-2018-4276199-Oct2018/

Rent hikes of up to 25% spark protest outside landlord’s offices
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/rent-hikes-of-up-to-25-spark-protest-outside-landlord-s-offices-1.3653254

'Budget 2019 means students will be left out in the cold for another year, quite literally'
    https://www.independent.ie/business/budget/comment-reaction/comment-budget-2019-means-students-will-be-left-out-in-the-cold-for-another-year-quite-literally-37401136.html

Homeless people need to stop getting pregnant.

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭eurokev

Wanderer78 wrote:

House prices are being pushed up by so much social access.
    Im in the early 30s age bracket and have numerous friends who have studied and worked for years to get in to a position to buy a house. They are there now.
    Council's are actively buying houses against them. There have been at least 10 occasions in the past 6 months that the council have outbid one of my friends. This is madness beyond belief.
    Add in the madness that is HAP further driving up prices.
    It is bloody insane.

Take our 21 year old friend in the latest article. There is absolutely no way she should be given a house, but I garauntee she will have one in the next 6 months.

Saying wages should go up to get to a point of affordability is probably the most stupid solution imaginable

eurokev wrote: »
    Im in the early 30s age bracket and have numerous friends who have studied and worked for years to get in to a position to buy a house. They are there now.
    Council's are actively buying houses against them. There have been at least 10 occasions in the past 6 months that the council have outbid one of my friends. This is madness beyond belief.
    It is bloody insane.

Take our 21 year old friend in the latest article. There is absolutely no way she should be given a house, but I garauntee she will have one in the next 6 months.

Saying wages should go up to get to a point of affordability is probably the most stupid solution imaginable

That family in emergency accommodation down the country. The one with 7 children. They will receive a house. And won't contribute a cent. Most likely 5 bedrooms to accommodate them all.

I wish I could afford to buy a 5 bedroom house. I wish I was given a 5 bedroom house. Il even take a one bedroom apartment at this stage

• Advertisement

Macha wrote: »
    It doesn't matter what field it is, this applies to many fields and you're missing the point.

Should having children only be the preserve of the wealthiest 20%, or those lucky enough to inherit property? There are a million reasons why someone could go from a stable financial situation to struggling, especially in Ireland where everything is so goddamn expensive (thanks in part to the entirely mismanaged housing sector).

Yeah, how dare people assume they will not struggle to find secure, stable housing and have children. The bare faced cheek of them.

My point is not related to the housing crisis, it was if you are housed by the state you simply can’t afford children. If you think you can afford children why is that money not being paid for your housing rather than I and other hardworking tax payer having to pay for our own home, our own kids and then pay for the housing and kids of someone else through crazy levels of taxation.

retalivity wrote:
    But no, move the wasters that are on the scratcher that have no need to be in the city centee into brand new apartments, for free effectively. The exact same thing happening over on the southside where the tom kelly flats are/were - why is there social housing being built between dublin's CBD and one of the most expensive postcodes in the country (ranelagh)??

Jasus that's harsh.

The flat I was in the father was in his 60s. He's retired. His daughter lives there with he's autistic son. She works full time and her retired father looks after her son dur the day.

I understand that a lot of people living in council accommodation are on the dole but not all on the dole. In fact the vast majority of of the ones if been in at least one member of the family works. Go to any council estate in Dublin and sit there between 6 and 8am and you will see how many go to work each day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 426 ✭✭Nikki Sixx

Homelessness is falling now or so they are saying the last few days...

This handy tool shows you where your tax is spent

https://whereyourmoneygoes.gov.ie/en/

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Slightly odd in a city with a massive housing crisis that we're throwing up "student accommodation" by the new time. We're in a hole but the governments answer is to the keep throwing fuel on the fire for some reason.

Globalism is a funny thing

Bambi wrote:
    Slightly odd in a city with a massive housing crisis that we're throwing up "student accommodation" by the new time. We're in a hole but the governments answer is to the keep throwing fuel on the fire for some reason.

Students were taking up rental properties. Now with student accommodation it frees up thousands of rental units for working adults

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Students were taking up rental properties. Now with student accommodation it frees up thousands of rental units for working adults

Only if it's affordable to them ,many look essentially like a single bedsit set up ,

Any proof of that?

Because that's possible, but it's more likely that it's freeing up thousand of rental units for more "students", just like our last boom.

Bambi wrote: »

Student accommodation is highly profitable and low risk which is what investors want to put their money in. Purpose built student accommodation is also closer to a licensee setup than a tenancy which is very attractive.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,786 ✭✭✭Old diesel

eurokev wrote: »
    Wanderer78 wrote:

It is bloody insane.

So the housing needs to better match affordability.

Potential options include.....

1) Cost rental.

2) Co Op housing (like O Cualann).

3) increased eligibility up to higher incomes for social housing and/or housing supports.

• Advertisement

• Bambi wrote: »
      Any proof of that?

Because that's possible, but it's more likely that it's freeing up thousand of rental units for more "students", just like our last boom.

Proof of what?

If there is student accommodation for lets say 1000 students, where exactly did you think they lived before the student accommodation was built?

Gatling wrote: »
    Only if it's affordable to them ,many look essentially like a single bedsit set up ,

They are managing to afford it as all of Dublins student accommodation is booked up each year. The icing on the cake for the property owner is Airbnb during the summer months. This is perfectly legal under the new short term letting rules.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

Sshhhh. It’s not corporate greed or government servility to vulture funds creating the homeless situation and preventing social housing being built.

It’s those pesky people on the dole.

• Proof of what?

If there is student accommodation for lets say 1000 students, where exactly did you think they lived before the student accommodation was built?

Proof that building more student accommodation frees up existing student accommodation rather that just attracting more *cough* students

Where did they live before hand? Brazil perhaps? :D

Who says they lived in Dublin? One of the major factors in the housing crisis is inward migration to Dublin, there wasn't some massive baby boom a decade ago causing this.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

Proof that building more student accommodation frees up existing student accommodation rather that just attracting more *cough* students

Where did they live before hand? Brazil perhaps? :D

Who says they lived in Dublin? One of the major factors in the housing crisis is inward migration to Dublin, there wasn't some massive baby boom a decade ago causing this.

2 student apartment complexes right beside me. 1200 capacity. Very high end
    Not one Irish student living in them. As they’re €250 a week.
    Only about half full.

It’s kind of a nonsense it has been freeing up the rental market and taking students out of it. That was the plan for sure

It has not worked out that way at all. Lot of these companies now advertising on radio to get bodies in.

Irish students both can’t afford that and are still using the traditional rental market.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

That family in emergency accommodation down the country. The one with 7 children. They will receive a house. And won't contribute a cent. Most likely 5 bedrooms to accommodate them all.

I wish I could afford to buy a 5 bedroom house. I wish I was given a 5 bedroom house. Il even take a one bedroom apartment at this stage
    Far away from your family and friends? Your job? Your social network? You would not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭SirChenjin

Graces7 wrote: »
    In what respect please? I have not been back for nearly 20 years. I watch various programmes re landlords etc and there is not the stigma we see here on boards. It is they are doing wrong eg not paying, trashing properties
    There was a feature on one family; 18 kids all grown up and having kids and the council knocked 2 houses into one for them. But not the automatic condemnation we see here.

There is a new series specifically re council properties being misused and again, not the ire we see here.

We did literally grow up with council housing as standard whereas here ?

And in the UK getting a council house is very hard. The rules are strict.

I wasn't sure in your previous post if you were comparing post-war England to Ireland of today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭grassroot1

Macha wrote:
    I repeat: the Irish housing sector is completely ****ed up and so is the conversation around it.

Urban areas is where its fed up as I said

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭CoffeeBean2

Should having children only be the preserve of the wealthiest 20%, or those lucky enough to inherit property?

If you check the research you will find that wealthier people have less children than poorer people. And you do not need to have your own property before having children. Many families in Europe rent all of their lives.

There is nothing wrong with renting all of your live. It's just Irish people have a love for property.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭CoffeeBean2

It's also entirely possible to be working full time and not be able to afford to rent in Dublin on the private sector.

Should the parents leave their network of support plus their jobs the kids friends all of that to move our of an urban area?

Yes a million times. Just because you have family, friends and grew up in a neighborhood, does not mean that you are entitled to live there all your life and have the government pay for it.

I choose not to live in Dublin as I could not afford it. Why should my taxes pay for someone else to do what I could not do, just because they have friends and family there.

I also had to move away from my family to get a job and I don't regret it at all. I'm better off today for doing it, made new friends and have a family of my own too.

Why can't you do the same that I did.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement