Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Homelessness on the rise (over 130 more children) - Mod Warning Post #392

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Old diesel wrote: »
    My point is - emergency accommodation is NOT a home.

Yet some people seem to think it is.

It's an extremely expensive form of accommodation too.

3,500 euros a fortnight I saw cited for one family in Cork recently..

I hear you but it is a roof and a safe place. ie they are not living rough on the streets. it is shelter. In most other countries the term homeless means living rough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭The Student

Diceicle wrote: »
    That makes sense. Finé Gaels target-base are the landlord class; the investors and companies making money via the state through providing Direct Provision. It suits their political compass to keep the crisis bubbling over.

The Govt want someone to blame so they blame the landlord. Do you not realize we have non payment of mortgages, rent both council and private, the Govt don't want to evict people for non payment of rent they would rather put the responsibility on the landlord.

And rather than helping with the eviction process the Govt have set up the RTB which delays the process even further with Threshold actively encouraging people to overhold.

Any politician who would suggest an eviction or any process that speeds up it up would be signing the end of their political career. It suits the Govt to have someone to blame for evictions.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Just read the news report. https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/focus-ireland-we-cant-allow-landlords-to-evict-tenants-during-a-crisis-921209.html

Focus cannot expect landlords to allow tenants to stay if in arrears? As a tenant.. I would not expect that.

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭rightmove

Well done focus Ireland. More ll leave market and less accommodation = more homeless. Gotta love this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,486 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Graces7 wrote: »
    Just read the news report. https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/focus-ireland-we-cant-allow-landlords-to-evict-tenants-during-a-crisis-921209.html

Focus cannot expect landlords to allow tenants to stay if in arrears? As a tenant.. I would not expect that.

Is it some unwritten rule, you're allowed to beg if you've got a little dog and a nice pair of shoes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭eurokev

ronoc wrote:
    If every household in the country

ronoc wrote:
    contributed the same as the TV license Eur 160 per year.

ronoc wrote:
    We would have Eur191,274,720‬ extra per year.

ronoc wrote:
    To build in Dublin (where the housing crisis is centered) You would get :

ronoc wrote:
    330 and 650 2 bed apartment units per year at a cost per unit between 293,000 and 578,000

How about, if you want to live somewhere specific and are able bodied and minded, you get a job, save a deposit and buy it.
    You don't sit around and ask the government and by extension the taxpayer to pay for it.
    This system really is a joke (sometimes I think I'm living in some sort of nightmare)

Mod edit
    Derogatory comments removed.

Real homelessness is a mental issue not a housing issue the vast majority of the time from my experience too

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Graces7 wrote: »

Focus Ireland: 'We can’t allow landlords to evict tenants during a crisis'
    Another reason not to become a landlord. They really want all landlords to leave the sector, don't they?

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Abba987

the_syco wrote: »
    Another reason not to become a landlord. They really want all landlords to leave the sector, don't they?

Any unfortunate who has found themselves letting their property should sell up and run. What a ridiculous idea to drive them out and have even less accommodation available

My heart goes out to the accidental landlords who found themselves in negative equity in a tiny apartment. My worst nightmare would be handing my property over to the public.

• Site Banned Posts: 328 ✭✭ogsjw

eurokev wrote: »
    Real homelessness is a mental issue not a housing issue the vast majority of the time from my experience too

Oh this ought to be good. Elaborate please?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

ogsjw wrote: »
    Oh this ought to be good. Elaborate please?

i think they mean that most rough sleepers suffer with addiction or mental health issues which I think is an agreed fact among most of society.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭jasper100

ronoc wrote: »
    To get a sense of the scale of this problem.

If every household in the country (1,195,467) contributed the same as the TV license Eur 160 per year.

We would have Eur191,274,720‬ extra per year.

To build in Dublin (where the housing crisis is centered)
    You would get :

330 and 650 2 bed apartment units per year at a cost per unit between 293,000 and 578,000 source
    or
    Approx 580 3 bed houses @ development costs of 330,000

A drop in the ocean.

Note figures are not current but housing costs have inflated since 2016

Government is unlikely to increase taxes for a number of resaons.
    • Election coming
    • Previous experience of levying extra charges like water
    • The (possibly mistaken) belief by many this is a contrived crisis
    • The country vote resenting contributing funds to a Dublin crisis when there is cheaper housing elsewhere in the country

Firstly its not a problem.

Secondly, the solution to this "situation" we find ourselves in is, as stated already, incentivise people in declining regions to upgrade their spare property. Councils rent off them for X years so they don't have to deal with all the crap that can come with bad tenants.

Relocate all the people that can't fit into the limited amount of housing stock in overpopulated areas.

Win win, the "homeless" get a home, and declining regions get a population increase, underpinning shops, schools, pubs, post offices etc. that are under threat of closure.

i think they mean that most rough sleepers suffer with addiction or mental health issues which I think is an agreed fact among most of society.

I agree but the 10000 or so 'homeless' are not rough sleepers. Hotel rooms and hubs not be ideal but it is a roof over your head.

How many of these 10000 are genuinely incapable of getting a job. Genuinely unable to live with parents etc until they save up like the rest of us?

I read the other day about a working single mother who lost the apartment she was paying for as landlord wanted more money. That's tragic. And unfortunate. Never working a day in your life and expecting the tax payer to fund you is not

• Registered Users Posts: 28,808 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

jasper100 wrote: »
    Firstly its not a problem.

Secondly, the solution to this "situation" we find ourselves in is, as stated already, incentivise people in declining regions to upgrade their spare property. Councils rent off them for X years so they don't have to deal with all the crap that can come with bad tenants.

Relocate all the people that can't fit into the limited amount of housing stock in overpopulated areas.

Win win, the "homeless" get a home, and declining regions get a population increase, underpinning shops, schools, pubs, post offices etc. that are under threat of closure.

...and this wouldnt cause complex social problems?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

Squatter wrote: »
    The "root cause" is that demand exceeds supply.

Do you not understand the meaning of the word 'root'?

There is definitely a shortage of Social houses. There are enough houses for everyone if so many weren’t being let short term via AirBnB etc.

I suppose my main point is that there isn’t a homeless crisis. If you can jump the queue by declaring yourself homeless, why not do so and feck the poor devils already on the list. Short term pain for long term gain. Why do you think that so many are doing it?

There isn't a homeless crisis? Any credibility you had or thought you had went out the window wuth that comment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,841 ✭✭✭Squatter

terrydel wrote: »
    Do you not understand the meaning of the word 'root'?

Well Terry old chap, it is patently obvious that one of us certainly doesn't! :D

Abba987 wrote: »
    I agree but the 10000 or so 'homeless' are not rough sleepers. Hotel rooms and hubs not be ideal but it is a roof over your head.

How many of these 10000 are genuinely incapable of getting a job. Genuinely unable to live with parents etc until they save up like the rest of us?

I read the other day about a working single mother who lost the apartment she was paying for as landlord wanted more money. That's tragic. And unfortunate. Never working a day in your life and expecting the tax payer to fund you is not

less than 1000 I would say, genuinely unwilling to try I'd say half of. Theres a lot of people on that list to game the system.

Every house that's on Air bnb is one house less for someone to live in.

But why should whoever owns that house be forced to rent it to a social tenant?

Every house that's on Air bnb is one house less for someone to live in.

Most airbnb properties are in city centres
    Most airbnb properties are higher end ones
    Even at private rental the majority would be out of reach of social tenants and even below mean sallary workers, Most are located where social tenants do not need to be.

Even if you put every single airbnb property in dublin city back into long term rental, it wouldn't directly help anyone on that list and with people moving up and freeing up other expensive properties it wouldn't help many indirectly either.

Squatter wrote: »
    Well Terry old chap, it is patently obvious that one of us certainly doesn't! :D

You.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,728 ✭✭✭Naos

ronoc wrote: »

330 and 650 2 bed apartment units per year at a cost per unit between 293,000 and 578,000 source
    or
    Approx 580 3 bed houses @ development costs of 330,000

A drop in the ocean.

Why are we even considering houses? If you're in social housing (for the majority there are always exceptions) you should be in an apartment block like the majority of Europe.

Houses should not even be a consideration.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,028 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Naos wrote: »
    Why are we even considering houses? If you're in social housing (for the majority there are always exceptions) you should be in an apartment block like the majority of Europe.

Houses should not even be a consideration.

But you do realise that many on the housing lists think they are entitled to a house as a basic human right?

And many of the politicians in this country, and the media, are backing them up in this belief.

NIMAN wrote: »
    But you do realise that many on the housing lists think they are entitled to a house as a basic human right?

And many of the politicians in this country, and the media, are backing them up in this belief.

and many think theyre entitled to a brand new house, with a garden, and to decline properties in areas with high densities of social housing tenants because of the problems that always occur in those areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,728 ✭✭✭Naos

NIMAN wrote: »

and many think theyre entitled to a brand new house, with a garden, and to decline properties in areas with high densities of social housing tenants because of the problems that always occur in those areas.

Well I would say to that - You call yourselves homeless, not houseless.

home
    /həʊm/

noun
    the place where one lives permanently, especially as a member of a family or household.

adjective
    relating to the place where one lives.

Don't they deserve it! The biggest crisis here is the scamming. There would be enough for those in genuine need if declaring yourself homeless for the foreva home wasn't in fashion.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,028 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Don't they deserve it! The biggest crisis here is the scamming. There would be enough for those in genuine need if declaring yourself homeless for the foreva home wasn't in fashion.

Thats where some investigative journalism wouldn't go amiss in this country, to see if we really have 10,000 people homeless or not.

But we'll never see that, will me?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭salonfire

Wanderer78 wrote: »

If people cause problems in a new areas, a few swift clubs with a Garda baton will solve it.

• Site Banned Posts: 328 ✭✭ogsjw

I think we should let them answer, don't you?
    Genuinely unable to live with parents etc until they save up like the rest of us?

Despite your frantic temper tantrum, you stumbled upon the one thing that connects all homeless people; lack of parents or support network. Whether they are dead, far away, or do not want their child in their life because they're horrible arseholes/ narcotics experts. Or if the parents are horrible sh1tes themselves of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭The Student

You have some people who will cause trouble no matter where you put them. Why not put all the trouble makers in the same location away from all other law abiding people who just want to live a peaceful life.

It is completely unfair and unjust to impose troublesome people on decent people and make the decent peoples lives a daily nightmare. The State has always done this and then refuses to deal with it.

This is the main reason we have the social issues we have, I only spoke to my father who is 80yrs old and he told me when he was growing up if any of his neighbours did not pay there council rent they were moved out of their council property and sent to a single room in an old army barracks.

He said after that people never fell behind in rent again. Maybe there is a lesson in this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,461 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Whereas social housing areas in Dublin currently have no "complex" social problems.:rolleyes:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement