Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Homelessness on the rise (over 130 more children) - Mod Warning Post #392

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Do we actually need another thread on the same subject you have been championing for the last while

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭GGTrek

Gatling wrote: »
    Do we actually need another thread on the same subject you have been championing for the last while
    It wouldn't surprise me if the OP has political aims. Left wing groups are known to be paid to splatter and do political propaganda in all sorts of forums with dubious data. For sure his prescient skills in 2012 were not very good at all and now he is attached to the homeless bandwagon!

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Huntline

Damn OP, talk about making a thread hard to follow. No need to quote everything then spam us with links. Think I saw a 50%off voucher link for KFC on your post somewhere

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭D3V!L

homeless
    /ˈhəʊmlɪs/Submit
    adjective
    plural noun: the homeless; adjective: homeless
    (of a person) without a home, and therefore typically living on the streets.
    "the plight of young homeless people"
    synonyms: without a roof over one's head, on the streets, vagrant, sleeping rough, living rough; destitute, down and out, derelict, itinerant; informaldossing; formalof no fixed abode
    "the plight of young homeless people"

Have you got figures for how many people were housed in the same period?

Hopefully, the new AirBnb clampdown will make a difference.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

What is homelessness ?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

So OP given the recent piece about the poor allocation of social housing it it time to start moving people around to make better use of social housing?

Have you got figures for how many people were housed in the same period?.

Any response to this?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Womens Homeless Statistics and the Budget
    For Ireland, Womens Homeless Statistics rose from 1263 (33% of the total) in 2011 to 2333 (44% of the total) in 2017
    (reference: http://womenshomelessness.org/resources/statistics/ireland/)
    "In Europe, the rate is much lower where women typically account for between 20% and 33% of the homeless population"
    "research found that 66% of homeless families in Ireland are headed by lone parents, most of whom are women"
    (reference: https://www.thejournal.ie/homeless-women-3489725-Jul2017/)
    "Lone parents, however, present a particular case. Most lone parents are women, and lone parents lost proportionally more than singles without children during the austerity period. This higher loss can be attributed to reductions to Child Benefit during the austerity period. Additionally, when singles without children were making budgetary gains during the recovery period, lone parents continued to see a fall in their disposable income due to policy reforms"
    "In summary, gender differences in the impact of Irish budgetary policy over the past decade have stemmed from the fact that women are more likely than men to be lone parents"
    (reference: https://www.esri.ie/pubs/bkmnext367.pdf)

The Homelessness Report October 2018
    The Homelessness Report October 2018 has been released:
    https://www.housing.gov.ie/sites/default/files/publications/files/homeless_report_-_october_2018.pdf

Homelessness is on the rise. I've updated the two charts based on the totals they give.

Homelessness (Adults)
    467162.png

Family Homelessness
    467161.png

The latest report does not have commentary where previous reports did. They used to include:
    The long term solution to the current homeless issue is to increase the supply of homes
    or:
    The root cause of increased homelessness is the supply shortage across the housing sector, which in turn is a result of the recent economic collapse and the associated damage to the construction sector. Accordingly the long-term solution to the current homeless issue is to increase the supply of homes.

Coverage of this report:
    Nearly 10,000 recorded as homeless in October - report
    https://www.rte.ie/news/2018/1129/1014140-homeless-figures/
    Of the 9,724 people without a home, 5,999 were adults and 3,725 were children.

The number of homeless adults in Ireland has risen by 130 in the space of a month
    https://www.thejournal.ie/homeless-figures-october-4366735-Nov2018/
    Focus Ireland CEO Pat Dennigan welcomed the fact that the number of people in emergency accommodation isn’t rising as fast as last year.
    However, he said: “It is totally unacceptable and wrong that at the same time one family became homeless every eight hours in October in Dublin alone.

Housing protesters take over Dublin bridge to highlight crisis
    https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/housing-protesters-take-over-dublin-bridge-to-highlight-crisis-888864.html
    On the day the Government published their homeless figures for October, now standing at 9,724, Take Back The City, a group campaigning for better housing conditions, took to the bridge to display a banner in protest of housing cuts that they say adversely effect women fleeing domestic violence.

Tweets:
    https://twitter.com/PMVTrust/status/1068157067842732032
    https://twitter.com/ICHHDUBLIN/status/1068170594921926656
    https://twitter.com/SimonCommunity/status/1068154966982963201
    https://twitter.com/FocusIreland/status/1068122588856152067

Other recent media on homelessness and supply shortage in Ireland:
    'Imposing the shame of homelessness on older children is cruel'
    https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/imposing-the-shame-of-homelessness-on-older-children-is-cruel-37541439.html
    "They go to school and they can't invite their friends back. Some of them don't want to tell their friends where they are because they're so ashamed of it. Imposing that sort of shame on children is wrong, and it's cruel as well, and we've no right to do it," she says fiercely.
    Asked if these children should be getting counselling, she says: "Of course they should be and they will need it later.
    "What is the effect of it, we don't know fully. We can't tell because we haven't seen it before."

No changes to Central Bank's mortgage rules
    https://www.rte.ie/news/2018/1128/1013802-mortgage_rules/
    Meanwhile, chief economist at Davy Group, Conall Mac Coille, has said the review of mortgage lending rules is masking the main issue, which he said is the lack of housing.
    Speaking on RTÉ's Morning Ireland, Mr Mac Coille said the review is "tinkering at the fringes" and "it's not going to ultimately change the fact that there's a lack of housing supply, hence housing affordability is stretched".
    "We could give out as many mortgages as we liked, but it wouldn't change the fact there's a lack of housing," he added.
    He added that a sustained and substantial expansion in housing supply is the best solution to the house price inflation problem.

Two-thirds of renters struggling to meet monthly rental costs
    https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/two-thirds-of-renters-struggling-to-meet-monthly-rental-costs-886770.html
    "They are people who would probably have always rented but some would be aspiring to home ownership, but it's more difficult for them because they cannot save a deposit.
    "That's the single biggest issue, because so much of your income is being used to pay rent, there's no surplus there to save."

Students ‘sleeping in cars’ because of shortage of rental accommodation
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/students-sleeping-in-cars-because-of-shortage-of-rental-accommodation-1.3707475
    Michelle Byrne, a Union of Students of Ireland (USI) official, told the committee that the housing system was “buckling under the pressure in a very real way for students”, who could not afford rising rents.
    “It is becoming a significant barrier to accessing education,” she said. “On the night of the census in 2016, there were 429 homeless students in Ireland, making up over 8 per cent of the total homeless numbers.”

• Advertisement

It’s great to see the number of homeless families decreasing.

Op do you have an actual opinion or are you just spamming the forum with copy and paste walls of text

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

It’s great to see the number of homeless families decreasing.

Really interesting how all the charities involved cherry pick the statistics each month. This month they've focused on the increase in adults homeless and ignored the drop in family homelessness. Previous months it's been the opposite.

Charities, like politicians etc, are generally pretty disengenous with their use of statistics.

Amirani wrote: »
    Really interesting how all the charities involved cherry pick the statistics each month. This month they've focused on the increase in adults homeless and ignored the drop in family homelessness. Previous months it's been the opposite.

Charities, like politicians etc, are generally pretty disengenous with their use of statistics.

It’s like the saying, there’s lies, damned lies and statistics.

If homelessness disappeared in the morning, so would numerous charities. Homelessness is their life blood. It’s an industry supported by the taxpayers. Anyone can find themselves in difficulties, through no fault of their own. But when you hear “Single” parents, living in a relatives bedroom with 3 children, going on to have another 2 children in a short space of time, you have to question their motives.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

Stop having ****ing kids you can't afford.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,329 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Stop having ****ing kids you can't afford.

Which is fine to say brie you have them, but we're all only a few paychecks away from being homeless after.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Klonker

Which is fine to say brie you have them, but we're all only a few paychecks away from being homeless after.

I'd be pretty sure most of our homeless are people who have never worked. Obviously there'll be a few who fell on hard times but majority would be Margaret Cash types.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Amirani wrote: »

Also in any country but Ireland, no one in b and b etc would be listed as homeless

Only here is it insisted that if you have a roof, heating, food etc you can be on the homeless list.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Subutai

Graces7 wrote: »
    Also in any country but Ireland, no one in b and b etc would be listed as homeless

Only here is it insisted that if you have a roof, heating, food etc you can be on the homeless list.

Untrue. We have a narrower definition than normal when it comes to homelessness. Other countries include people who are staying with friends. Some even include those in institutions.

There's no agreed upon definition, so we find it fairly difficult to do comparisons.

About half of the surveyed countries also cover people living in non-conventional dwellings and people living temporarily with family and friends due to lack of housing, while only 7 countries also include people living in institutions in their homelessness statistics.

We're not one of those countries. So really we can only compare ourselves to the countries who record homelessness in a similar way to us - all of the others we would expect to be much higher as they have a more broad definition of homelessness.

Taking that more honest view, we are better than only Austria, France, and Slovenia. We are on par with Italy. We also do better than Canada and Chile. We do worse than Lithuania, Portugal, Spain and Croatia - and worse than Japan. We're also higher than some countries who take the broader view of homelessness, like Mexico and Estonia, and we're quite close to a number of others even with them taking that broader view.

The international comparisons really don't look great.

https://www.oecd.org/els/family/HC3-1-Homeless-population.pdf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Klonker wrote: »
    I'd be pretty sure most of our homeless are people who have never worked. Obviously there'll be a few who fell on hard times but majority would be Margaret Cash types.

Doubt that. How would they become homeless if they have homes for life.

Homeless in this boom is probably the low paid, increasing rent etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

"Homeless" is being used very liberally. I remember a protester who turned down three free houses claiming they were "homeless".

There is a culture of living off hand outs passed down through generations that make people think their free house should be in the area they choose to live in.

And they think they are a victim of a cruel society that doesn't care.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Subutai wrote: »
    Untrue. We have a narrower definition than normal when it comes to homelessness. Other countries include people who are staying with friends. Some even include those in institutions.

You are incorrect. incorrect; I have family in Canada who work with the authorities there, feeding the street people, counting the homeless, and if they are counter surfing etc they are not counted.

If they are in a shelter, in temporary accommodation, then they are not homeless. Period. They are safe in shelter

Unlike the literally thousands sleeping rough all over Canada, .... we give out bales of hay in winter to try to save them bu still they are found frozen to death

Thee is no real emergency. . Go to any Greece and many countries and see a real emergency situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Subutai

Graces7 wrote: »
    You are incorrect. incorrect; I have family in Canada who work with the authorities there, feeding the street people, counting the homeless, and if they are counter surfing etc they are not counted.

If they are in a shelter, in temporary accommodation, then they are not homeless. Period. They are safe in shelter

Unlike the literally thousands sleeping rough all over Canada, .... we give out bales of hay in winter to try to save them bu still they are found frozen to death

Thee is no real emergency. . Go to any Greece and many countries and see a real emergency situation.

You have anecdotes. I have the official criteria on which the counts are based and which the OECD uses for comparison.

It's not nice when the facts don't suit your narrative. That doesn't make them any less true. Our definition of homelessness is more restrictive than many countries. Contrary to your assertions here, the Canadians include those in shelters as homeless.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Is there figures of what percentage of the homeless have turned down a house?

the_syco wrote: »
    Is there figures of what percentage of the homeless have turned down a house?

I believe it's in the hundreds homeless but refusing offers of housing

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭JC01

If you can’t provide the security that your a hell of a lot more financially stable than “a few paychecks” being the difference in maintaining a roof over your own head and not then you absolutely cannot afford kids and to have them in that situation is criminally reckless as far as I’m concerned.

It drives me demented listening to these bleeding hearts tell me that I should feel guilty and obliged to pay for other people’s selfish decisions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Wtf? No we’re not.

It would take me a hell of a long time to use up my insurance, my rainy day fund AND the patience of every one of my family members and friends to end up homeless.

Do people live in a vacuum? Protect yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

pwurple wrote: »
    Wtf? No we’re not.

It would take me a hell of a long time to use up my insurance, my rainy day fund AND the patience of every one of my family members and friends to end up homeless.

This is the nonsense peddled by the left.

Despite the fact there are people nearly 9 years still in houses which they haven’t been paying their mortgage.

Or the 50 million owed to the council in arrears.

but we're all only a few paychecks away from being homeless after.

This is certainly not the case for everyone, I’d wager a large proportion of people are not in such a precarious position.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

pwurple wrote: »
    Wtf? No we’re not.

Ah, you're talking about personal responsibility now.
    Can't be talking sensible like that. It is frowned upon.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement