Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fine Gael TD sues Dublin Hotel after falling off swing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,843 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Well one thing this latest in a LONG line of near-continuous scandals over the last several years should illustrate is this.

Any notion that FG are "better", "more responsible" or "more honest" than their FF rivals is exactly that.. a notion.

The truth has been exposed yet again for anyone who cares to look.

100% its done, I'm doing the up to recently inconceivable and giving FF a second preference at the next election. FG are done...

Give him a chance at a kylie ticket and his penmanship knows no bounds.
    Ask him about an in party fraudster and he's behind a committee.

you're talking about a man who wanted to use facebook to create an self promoting account which offset public anger incurred from shyte policy, No wonder he's a huge fan of kylie, he loves his SPINning around!!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

We can only hope the indo are we all over it and as rabid in two weeks as they have been this week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

mickdw wrote: »
    This sham of an internal investigation might quieten things down however as is the way with these kind of things, further revelations tend to come out and eventually as much as they try to cover up, someone has to fall.
    From what we have seen in the past, the longer they cover up and allow these things to fester, the higher up the damage goes.
    Shes from a long time FG family though so she knows where the bodies are buried.
    This is going to roll on. Will it take down 1 TD, 2TDs or an entire government.

Hopefully entire government

• Registered Users Posts: 4,393 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

BattleCorp wrote: »
    Knowingly gives or causes to be given - that means that the false information is given on purpose. She will claim that it was a genuine error on her part, and therefore not knowingly given or caused to be given.

Which version people believe is up to them. All I'm saying is that it's not cut and dried. If it went to court, even with those 'inaccuracies', she may have been able to explain them to the judge and quite possibly have won her case.

I'm no legal expert but the comma you omitted could be significant in the interpretation of that clause if the civil liability and courts act.

There may be a difference between
    "knowingly gives or causes to be given"
    and
    "knowingly gives, or causing to be given
    i.e.
    does the 'causing to be given' need to be knowingly or not.

It could be argued that the merit of a case (and whether it should be dismissed) depends on if the evidence is found to be false or misleading and the intent (the knowingly part) is only relevant in any further consideration of contempt or perjury.

• Advertisement

rusty cole wrote: »
    Give him a chance at a kylie ticket and his penmanship knows no bounds.
    Ask him about an in party fraudster and he's behind a committee.

you're talking about a man who wanted to use facebook to create an self promoting account which offset public anger incurred from shyte policy, No wonder he's a huge fan of kylie, he loves his SPINning around!!!

Brilliant post! He must be laughing at us morons! Get the plebs to elect you , look after the interests on a tiny miority, tell the plebs you reward the "early risers" LOL and then think they will be stupid enough to fall for it indefinetly. While he cooks us like lobsters, his ultimate wet dreams of turning us people, into a nation of lifelong renters, serf wh0res to his mates in Kennedy Wilson!

Think about the damage to his ego and reputation, when that sc*m no longer has the Taoiseach role, writing to Kylie etc as Leo Varadkar TD, rather than LV Taoiseach (The irish prime mininster) wont be quite as cool!

This is the same tosser who objected to a four floor apartment block in his constituency, at some stage you have to draw the line...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Lest we forget anyone who reckons Ave Maria wasn't lying......
    Court papers lodged by her solicitors claimed she was unable to run “at all” for three months.

Ms Bailey insisted she only wanted her medical expenses of between €6,000 and €7,000 paid and was not looking for any extra damages.

This is despite the fact her endorsement of claim stated she was seeking damages for personal injury, loss, damage and inconvenience in addition to her medical costs. The circuit court, where she took the case, can award up to €60,000 in personal injury matters.

CCTV was a key factor in the hotel’s decision to defend the claim. In defence papers, it alleged Ms Bailey had items in each hand, restricting her ability to balance or hold rope grips properly.

I was at the stadium years ago when he was minister for transport tourism and sport. The compare announced all guests and he was welcomed to a chorus of hissssing and booos.. his face was so priceless that the compare told the crowd to leave politics at the door and welcome him, which again brought further booing.

I guess they knew a snake when they saw one. Also I'm sure he was secretly imagining that he was front and centre at kylies tribute to pride concert.. he rode in on the sea of change as a poster boy for leading a united gay ireland..that's his high point..

newsflash Leo, it was happening anyway, you're no messiah type cultural catalyst!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,736 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

rusty cole wrote: »
    he rode in on the sea of change as a poster boy for leading a united gay ireland..that's his high point..

Which in itself was a cynical bit of self-promotion at the last hurdle on his part.

His sexuality (which in any event should have f&ck all to do with his ability to hold a ministry, lead as Taoiseach or even represent constituents) was an open secret in political and media circles... but he did indeed "bravely" come out on the national airwaves towards the end of the campaign so as to boost his own profile.

And many people bought it! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

We can only hope the indo are we all over it and as rabid in two weeks as they have been this week.

Unless they have to report on a Kathryn Thomas holiday, I reckon they will.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

He was always all talk about how other areas could be tackled while doing little in his own. Now he's top man he's just giving lip service to problems and continuing party policies from 2011 pretty much. That's your growing crises right there. I reckon Bailey wasn't the only FG'er in the hotel playground with a few on them that night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

mickdw wrote: »
    This sham of an internal investigation might quieten things down however as is the way with these kind of things, further revelations tend to come out and eventually as much as they try to cover up, someone has to fall.
    From what we have seen in the past, the longer they cover up and allow these things to fester, the higher up the damage goes.
    Shes from a long time FG family though so she knows where the bodies are buried.
    This is going to roll on. Will it take down 1 TD, 2TDs or an entire government.

Well one thing this latest in a LONG line of near-continuous scandals over the last several years should illustrate is this:

Any notion that FG are "better", "more responsible" or "more honest" than their FF rivals is exactly that.. a notion.

The truth has been exposed yet again for anyone who cares to look.

To be fair FG have been lieing through their teeth for years and getting away with it through divide and conquer tactics. Look at the Irish water fiasco. The background dealings were very very murky.

He was always all talk about how other areas could be tackled while doing little in his own. Now he's top man he's just giving lip service to problems and continuing party policies from 2011 pretty much. That's your growing crises right there. I reckon Bailey wasn't the only FG'er in the hotel playground with a few on them that night.

Not even that much Matt.

Thanks to Enda's crusade to be the only FG Taoiseach to "win" a second consecutive term, and the deals that were done as a result, we have a completely ineffective Government ever since. Ironically Leo's obsession with spin and deflection makes him the right man to lead it!

Of course, given the damage that FG did when they DID have real power in the preceding years (which we're seeing the results of since Enda left), it may actually the best of a bad situation.

There's a reason why FG historically are never voted in on their own policies or merit, but rather as a protest vote when FF get too out of hand..

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

The Indo will probably get back in their box when they are told to. Only let out for special occasions. Back to telling us that the Kardashians were spotted in a yellow cardigan in New York. Unless somebody gives them the nod to report on it.

Regarding Maria Bailey not having lied, and 'made a mistake' on the affidavit, what was it supposed to say?
    "She couldn't run at all for 3 days"?
    or
    "She couldn't stop running for 3 months"?

She lied. She's a liar. Her lawyers helped.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    Look at the Irish water fiasco. The background dealings were very very murky.

And the exact same REDACTED O'******* REDACTED involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,158 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Maria Bailey took a dive because she was confident that the referee would award her a penalty. We need to change the rules of the game rather than try to change those who play it. Human beings are imperfect and greedy - we need systems that discourage that behaviour rather then reward it.

Unfortunately its human nature now.

We have all fallen as kids and as adults. Sometimes you get hurt, but bumps and bruises go away. You shouldn't automatically think about money and compensation as the first thing. Sometimes its not someones fault but your own.

The legal profession has a lot to answer for, getting it into the mindset now that people think after a fall, "right, who's can I blame for this", instead of thinking "jez, I was an eejit there".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭_blaaz

Which in itself was a cynical bit of self-promotion at the last hurdle on his part.

His sexuality (which in any event should have f&ck all to do with his ability to hold a ministry, lead as Taoiseach or even represent constituents) was an open secret in political and media circles... but he did indeed "bravely" come out on the national airwaves towards the end of the campaign so as to boost his own profile.

And many people bought it! :(

Tbf i didnt know (nor did i particularly care either) about his sexuality

Ive been very disappointed with him as a taoiseach....honestly taught hed be better....in hindsight coveny is a person of much more substance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

NIMAN wrote: »

The legal profession has a lot to answer for, getting it into the mindset now that people think after a fall, "right, who's can I blame for this", instead of thinking "jez, I was an eejit there".

The legal profession and the judiciary.
    Scratching each others backs is the normal salutation when they meet.

_blaaz wrote: »

Ive been very disappointed with him as a taoiseach....honestly taught hed be better....in hindsight coveny is a person of much more substance

I'm not surprised unfortunately - I've been saying here for years that Leo is all spin and no substance. Great for a soundbite on someone ELSE's department.. not so much about his own!

Coveney (as I said the other day) is no better - arguably more dangerous.

He's even more beholden to the EU and its agenda of globalisation and immigration to keep that train rolling.

He'd sell this country out even quicker than Enda and Leo. The EU (or EEC as it was then) works very well as a trade body, but once the political notions started, the wheels started to come off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭Hardtochoose

An obvious can kicking exercise by FG. Kick it down the road with an enquiry and hopefully Joe public will have forgotten about it by then. The report will be released in the lead up to a bank holiday weekend, or in the middle of the summer recess in the hope it’ll blow over.

They’re nothing if not obvious. FG to get obliterated in the next GE if they don’t publicly and effectively deal with this issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Tin Foil Hat

Sorry Leo, this is far bigger than an internal Fine Gael matter. Not even remotely good enough to pretend that it is.

And of course they won’t comment on it while there’s an ongoing independent enquiry. How convenient. The public are not going to forget about this issue however much Varadkar wants them to.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭Be right back

It highlights how inept they are. Mismanagement of homelessness, broadband, healthcare. And when they claim to tackle insurance claims, they leave one of their own away with it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭_blaaz

I'm not surprised unfortunately - I've been saying here for years that Leo is all spin and no substance. Great for a soundbite on someone ELSE's department.. not so much about his own!

Coveney (as I said the other day) is no better - arguably more dangerous.

He's even more beholden to the EU and its agenda of globalisation and immigration to keep that train rolling.

He'd sell this country out even quicker than Enda and Leo. The EU (or EEC as it was then) works very well as a trade body, but once the political notions started, the wheels started to come off.

The worst thing about the eu is as a trade body,with the need to raise standreds etc it was inevitable.it was going to spill over into politics aswell

If it was a pure open market policys little to no regulations etc(i think.this is globalisation?) european econmies couldnt compete on an international stage

As regards immigration...imo likes of oz/nz etc have very sensible policies (i wpuld be a big fan of PR vs handing out citizenship) and do multi culturism very well.....id much rather have a sydney type integration vs london

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

_blaaz wrote: »

If he was any good he'd still be doctoring, Ciara Kelly the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,542 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

I don’t think I’ve ever thanked so many posts as in this thread . There’s nothing like a eejit ( mb) to unite a group of various strangers

The next GE cannot come quick enough to vote this incompetent, arrogant, incestuous, corrupt bunch of leeches out of Government. They’re worse than FF, and I didn’t think that possible.
    And I guarantee you they’re monitoring this thread.

€80 damage to car led to €215,000 payout, says Aviva as it ramps up fraud inquiries

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/80-damage-to-car-led-to-215000-payout-says-aviva-as-it-ramps-up-fraud-inquiries-38158692.html

This is the beginning of the end for fg as the largest party. Even the other incompetent morons will be better than them... the arrogance and insencerity is breath taking !

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

Maria Bailey's political career seems destined for the sidelines, regardless of what Leo does or doesn't do.

However, being a very suspicious person, and the leak timing, I do wonder if it was keeping something far more damaging away from the press on the week of the European and local elections.

:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

O'Rourke lives in Dún Laoghaire, Maria Bailey is his local TD. Given his profile, I'd be shocked if they didn't know one another.

Also Sean O'Rourkes wife works for Charlie Flanagan as an adviser
    So unsurprisingly Leo goes for the "sweep it under the carpet and hope it'll be forgotten about in a week or two" option. Adding the point that FG won't be commenting further in the interim just confirms it.

I think Leos position is weakened now by not acting decisively. Enda Kenny always came across as a bit of a muppet but when the sh1t hit the fan with Shatter and Callinan he got the axe out fairly quick and used it. Leo prefers to hide behind a committee, I dont think leadership is really for him.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement