Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fine Gael TD sues Dublin Hotel after falling off swing

Options

Comments

You wouldn't. Memories for details fade very quickly. Subsequent events, years later, that make the event important in retrospect, don't bring back the memories of something that was minor at the time. Of course she would remember, if she had known the event would lead to such a s#itstorm and media hounding, but of coarse she never guessed it would reach become a national topic of debate and analysis.

I think you’ve said it there. “...memories of something MINOR...” Now why might you sue for something, as you say, MINOR. Minor, trivial, of no consequence. That’s what you are saying yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

You wouldn't. Memories for details fade very quickly. Subsequent events, years later, that make the event important in retrospect, don't bring back the memories of something that was minor at the time. Of course she would remember, if she had known the event would lead to such a s#itstorm and media hounding, but of coarse she never guessed it would reach become a national topic of debate and analysis.

It was a legal document she was signing, not some random conversation with someone years later. The Indo managed to do find the correct date, probably with a quick Google search.

I probably use arbitrary dates all the time when chatting to mates or whatever but if I’m ever suing someone or getting sued, I’m going to check and double check everything is right before I put my signature on anything.

Edit - aaaaghhh. I just hit reply and posted without seeing who I was replying to. Didn’t realize it was the troll. Sorry for replying to her.

Is there a transcript or copy of the full affidavit? Does it say she couldn’t run for 3 months or does it give an actual date when she says she went back to running? Cos 3 months on from July is October and it’s a completely different season (daylight hours).

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

But also unfair to punish her is she was only a weak point for nefarious forces whose real target was FG damage in the weak before local and Euro elections. Looking at the results, it would seem people have not been taken in by this mudslinging distraction, and the attempt has failed.

ah Lucretia, the thinking mans troll!!

sure don't take it out on the one occasional kiddy fiddling priest, go for the catholic church as intended!!! poor guy was only part of the problem!

• Advertisement

On the accusations of fraud, Maria is unlikely to face any legal consequences here. The bar is quite high and fraudulent claims rarely result in prosecution. I posted yesterday about the fact that perjury is something we have in common law but not on our statutes and it has only ever been prosecuted once in a fraudulent personal injury claim.

On being expelled from Fine Gael, as long as the party follows standard disciplinary procedures, I don't see how this becomes a legal issue that requires a "beyond reasonable doubt" level of rigour. It's a political party, a private organisation and not the State. The state can't send you to jail without you being found guilty beyond reasonable doubt but a private organisation can remove you for all sorts of reasons as long as disciplinary procedures are followed.

She’s part of the Government which legislates. If she doesn’t merit a legal way of being dealt with, she still goes down in the annals of political history as being at the very best among the most cringeworthy of any politician in Irish history, and as the story unfolds, very possibly among those who brought a government down at a rather critical time in our journey asa nation.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭WealthyB

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭ToBeFrank123

Is Rape of Lucretia back from FG HQ with the latest party line yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

Is Rape of Lucretia back from FG HQ with the latest party line yet?
    I'm more inclined to think they're from a different party trying to taint FG.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Mrsmum wrote: »
    I would imagine Leo will point out to her that by her own words she has been unable to leave the house and is under attack everywhere so how can she actually do her job.

And has been like that for at least 2 weeks !. Is she still on the payroll ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

WealthyB wrote: »

Amazing to think people are actually that stupid ...

Is there actually any politician that isn't dirty

ArrBee wrote: »
    I wish SOR had asked if she had ever had physio as part of her training regime.
    Perhaps even if she had attended physio anytime in the 3 weeks prior to the "accident".

Or asked her,when she said she only wanted her medical expenses covered,"why she was claiming €60k" when she said her expenses were only €8/12k. !!
    SOR could have sank her submarine there and then,but I think he "chose " not to.

since you ask!! :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QgRznrUwS0k

at least there's some comic relief in this one....Bailey would be a snobbed up soccer MOM with a hugely inflated view of herself!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

BattleCorp wrote: »
    Knowingly gives or causes to be given - that means that the false information is given on purpose. She will claim that it was a genuine error on her part, and therefore not knowingly given or caused to be given.

Which version people believe is up to them. All I'm saying is that it's not cut and dried. If it went to court, even with those 'inaccuracies', she may have been able to explain them to the judge and quite possibly have won her case.

For christ sake, she was completely and utterly incapable of explaining ANY of the inaccuracies to SOR, why on earth do you think this would have improved in front of a judge? Your point of view is simply not credible and it makes me wonder why exactly you're keeping it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,586 ✭✭✭Floppybits

JeffKenna wrote: »
    I'm more inclined to think they're from a different party trying to taint FG.

FG do that job all by themselves. None of the other parties need to taint FG.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭golfball37

When are we going to hear how this morning's meeting with Leo went?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

She’s probably been dismissed and doing a sit down protest refusing to leave his office.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

Or asked her,when she said she only wanted her medical expenses covered,"why she was claiming €60k" when she said her expenses were only €8/12k. !!
    SOR could have sank her submarine there and then,but I think he "chose " not to.

SOR could have completely buried her, but he let her off lightly. He didn't really nail her on the total inconsistencies in her story.
    I suspect that he was afraid of the gender card being played, which she did anyway towards the end of the interview.
    If he was interviewing a man in the same situation, I believe he would have handled it differently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

It says a lot about RTE when they come out with this sh*t as wel

SOR: What about the people who say you might not be fit to represent Fine Gael, because it’s a party of integrity, a party of doing the right thing.

party of integrity? my ass......shower of crooks

• Registered Users Posts: 11,759 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

I bet if you had to sign a legal document stating which shooting competition you were in, you’d make it your business to remember correctly.

You are indeed correct. I would be very careful.

Hey, I'm not on her side here even though it might look like I am. All I'm saying is that people can and do make mistakes in legal documents. Sometimes they are by accident and sometimes they are not. I'm not saying which one she did. I'm just saying that there's a possibility that she made a genuine error - no matter how unlikely that looks.

• Advertisement

Roger_007 wrote: »
    SOR could have completely buried her, but he let her off lightly. He didn't really nail her on the total inconsistencies in her story.
    I suspect that he was afraid of the gender card being played, which she did anyway towards the end of the interview.
    If he was interviewing a man in the same situation, I believe he would have handled it differently.

Don't know if it was a gender thing. Hes a very astute interviewer, yet he let her off the hook a few times. I don't know why,but there was definitely a reason for the kid glove treatment she received. PK would have ripped her a new one !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Roger_007 wrote: »

Nothing to do with gender, Government pay the bills, no point getting on the wrong side. They might stop the gravy train which is RTE

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

BattleCorp wrote:
    It may be ridiculous but is it impossible?

If you are an avid runner who holds yourself to looking for a PB at certain events, yes it is.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Millionaire only not

Mary Lou is looking for answers from the Madigan one
    Yippee not one but 2 for the chopn

I actually read all this on wiki, but it gets absorbed by the brain a lot better when you've some added commentary.

Law and order party, a party of integrity?

The back of my balls.

I worked alongside one of the left politicians in power at the moment, and although I abhorred some of the politics one thing I can say for absolute certain fact, that they are honest to a fault. Got sacked from a pensionable job on principle, never played for self gain but was motivated purely by helping the underdog.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Millionaire only not

Can Leo get on with firing her we need new one to fry
    Gift grub was hilarious with the Bailey one fair play to Mario

Mary Lou is looking for answers from the Madigan one
    Yippee not one but 2 for the chopn

I think the fact Bailey isn't gone yet is very telling.

I get the feeling she's a keystone Jenga block if you know what I mean.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,759 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

It's incorrect to say that she was claiming €60k. She didn't claim €60k. That's the max that the Circuit Court can award. The court may well have awarded her less than the maximum, depending on how the court views liability, contributory negligence and the severity of the injury. They could have awarded her nothing too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,311 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

BattleCorp wrote: »
    It's incorrect to say that she was claiming €60k. She didn't claim €60k. That's the max that the Circuit Court can award. The court may well have awarded her less than the maximum, depending on how the court views liability, contributory negligence and the severity of the injury. They could have awarded her nothing too.

she was claiming up to 60K. Despite her saying she was only looking for her medical expenses which could have been done in the District court. The woman is not familiar with the truth at all.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement