Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Local elections

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭friendlyfun

hardybuck wrote: »
    Young people (electorate under 40) have left Waterford in their droves in the last ten years. A lot of them still have their voting address at home but may or may not return to vote.

It's clear that the Greens did well wherever there was a large young middle class cohort. Mom and Dad might be FF or FG, but the kids went Green. While 9 out of 10 voters didn't go for them nationally, in places like Dun Laoghaire Rathdown Council a Green candidate romped home way above the quota in pretty much every ward. They're probably just a little disappointed that they didn't have more candidates in those areas because they would have got a lot more in if they did. Waterford didn't have that same impact as it has less young middle class voters across the county.

Interesting to see Labour increase their seats significantly across the county.

I'm 24 and voted FF. Why you might ask? Because I think Eddie Mulligan is best politician out of the ones elected in Waterford East.

He has a constant social media feed so you always know what he's up to.

I would have voted Green if i had known more about Jody Power. His profile was very low and didn't involve himself in any radio debates or knock on my door.

If you vote for someone you want them to be visible in your community hence why I chose Eddie over the rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,167 ✭✭✭hardybuck

I'm 24 and voted FF. Why you might ask? Because I think Eddie Mulligan is best politician out of the ones elected in Waterford East.

He has a constant social media feed so you always know what he's up to.

I would have voted Green if i had known more about Jody Power. His profile was very low and didn't involve himself in any radio debates or knock on my door.

If you vote for someone you want them to be visible in your community hence why I chose Eddie over the rest.

Do you think you fit the typical FF voter profile?

I would agree with you regarding Jody - I think a lot of people would have thrown him a vote because of being generally positive towards the greens, being fed up with the current crop, but definitely not voting SF et al.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,538 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Re:East
    Mulligan increased his vote despite jumping from Independent to FF.
    Fitzgerald got in on first count last time, splitting the Sinn Fein vote was almost costly.
    Carey the only outgoing councillor to lose her seat (to greens).
    Hard to know how big Shanahans vote effected things.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Emanine

Speak Now wrote: »
    Re:East
    Mulligan increased his vote despite jumping from Independent to FF.
    Fitzgerald got in on first count last time, splitting the Sinn Fein vote was almost costly.
    Carey the only outgoing councillor to lose her seat (to greens).
    Hard to know how big Shanahans vote effected things.

Carey interviewed on WLR this morning and seems quite bitter about FG choosing to run 2 candidates in the same electoral area. Also it seems she polled very poorly where she herself lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,538 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Emanine wrote: »
    Carey interviewed on WLR this morning and seems quite bitter about FG choosing to run 2 candidates in the same electoral area. Also it seems she polled very poorly where she herself lives.

Looking at their posters you'd have thought they were from different parties! There was no standard template like you'd see from FF/SF etc

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 814 ✭✭✭debok

Emanine wrote: »

People probably know her best in area where she lives. Probably best she didn't get in so

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

debok wrote: »
    People probably know her best in area where she lives. Probably best she didn't get in so

Good, I'm disappointed FG didn't get more of a kicking.

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭Teebor15

debok wrote: »

Listening to the interview the whole idea of her running seemed to be about honouring her father and keeping the Carey family name going rather than herself being passionate about politics and making a difference. She admitted herself that she needed to quickly read up and inform herself of the local issues. All sounded very knee jerk and a campaign run on emotion.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭Crusty Blaa

Teebor15 wrote: »
    Listening to the interview the whole idea of her running seemed to be about honouring her father and keeping the Carey family name going rather than herself being passionate about politics and making a difference. She admitted herself that she needed to quickly read up and inform herself of the local issues. All sounded very knee jerk and a campaign run on emotion.

In fairness to her, she was one of the few that called to my door instead of just dropping a leaflet in the letterbox. Unfortunately she didn’t inspire me with confidence about issues outside of Passage so I couldn’t vote for her based on that. Her father was an excellent local rep.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Matt Shanahan making an arse of himself - another classic of the "late night" social media posting and a non apology after the fact.

D7pUFxuXoAAeHKQ.jpg

He's on Deise Today now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Gardner

this is his 3rd **** up in no space of time.
    1. his mortuary comment
    2. him been a health equality campaigner when he voted against health equality of woman
    3. this.
    this chap wont last long in politics!

I don't like how he's made cardiac care his only issue. It's like when De Gaulle said "I am the Republic" Matt thinks he's the only one who can deliver it. Coming from a family of politicians he sure knew how to get elected!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

I was surprised he did so well in the locals, I haven't seen any of these comments or ever being on that website or even know he was prone to verbal cock ups.its hardly slanderous stuff but like previous person said I firmly expect him to add nothing to Cath lab delivery in his new role, he'd probably be more effective out of council TBH

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Gardner

previously he said he was self employed in the sales health industry. anything related to cardiac care? vested interest? i'm not fishing by the way just genuinely curious

For any geeks keeping an eye on the European election counts, there is a really tight finish - only 1/5 seats have been filled.

After the 14th count, Grace O'Sullivan was in 5th position, the one that goes into cold storage for when Brexit does/doesn't happen, about 2,500 votes behind O'Riada in fourth and 4k behind Billy Kelleher in third place.

Andrew Doyle's votes from the 15th count have brought Deirdre Clune back from the dead - she picked up over 20k transfers and is a whisker off the 3-5th placed candidates. However Grace O'Sullivan picked up over 8k transfers and has leaped into third place overall.

Malcolm Byrne (FF) has been eliminated and his votes will most likely shake it up again and secure Kelleher a seat. But as the Greens are traditionally more transfer friendly, all O'Sullivan needs to do is get more transfers than O'Riada to secure a seat in Europe.

Could be a long night for the counters again.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,977 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

hardybuck wrote:
    Malcolm Byrne (FF) has been eliminated and his votes will most likely shake it up again and secure Kelleher a seat. But as the Greens are traditionally more transfer friendly, all O'Sullivan needs to do is get more transfers than O'Riada to secure a seat in Europe.

Tis looking fairly good for grace then, fair play to her

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

Waterford protested against water charges but now voting for carbon tax.

vriesmays wrote: »

And potentially more water charges.

I think most people thought the water tax was a half arsed scheme by an inefficient quango, people can be pro-environment but against second rate policies esp when she'd be off to Europe ;)

Ireland isn't even in the top 40 countries for CO2 emissions. Making more Bord na Mona workers redundant while inviting 3rd world migrants here won't make Ireland a leader in tackling climate change.

• Advertisement

But it will help Ireland avoid huge fines for exceeding carbon targets - the peat stations are a joke method for creating power. You should try some reading and research.

Also take your xenophobic BS to AH.

Xenophobic like Kilkenny rejecting that mosque or are they racist.

I think most people thought the water tax was a half arsed scheme by an inefficient quango, people can be pro-environment but against second rate policies esp when she'd be off to Europe ;)

I disagree. People took a view that water was something that fell from the sky and they shouldn't be asked to pay for it directly, and would rather pay for it indirectly through general taxation.

The conservation angle was lost as metering and charges would have reduced consumption. Expect the Greens to want this back on the agenda should they return to office.

They're against nuclear power and want your fireplaces bricked up by 2030. You won't be driving cars, and will pay extra to fly. Your local fishermen will be off work for several months of the year. Your local butchers will get closed.

Even better news for Waterford, the Greens want more unions.

Xenophobic like Kilkenny rejecting that mosque or are they racist.

An Bord Pleanála turned down planning permission, not sure what that has to do with anything in your post.

edit and I've just seen your latest nonsense. Are you here for long? I really hope not.

They turned it down because they're xenophobic.

MOD: More of this type of baseless generalization towards an entire county and you can see yourself banned.
    Warning Issued

Okay you see the world as you wish to. Goodbye :)

I see the Greens as they are because of their EU manifesto. Here's the link: https://www.greenparty.ie/policies/2019-european-election-manifesto/

They're against nuclear power and want your fireplaces bricked up by 2030. You won't be driving cars, and will pay extra to fly. Your local fishermen will be off work for several months of the year. Your local butchers will get closed.

Even better news for Waterford, the Greens want more unions.

How do you engage with this level of stupid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,977 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

vriesmays wrote:

Water protests were really a kick back from the implementation of austerity measures, we ve somewhat moved on from it now

Advertisement