Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Local elections

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,990 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

vriesmays wrote:
    Even better news for Waterford, the Greens want more unions.

Plenty of evidence to support since the the de-unionisation of our societies, productivity has soared but wage inflation has remained fairly lack luster, stagnant in some cases, there also has been a significant increase in precarious employment

• Registered Users Posts: 5,167 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Ni Riada has sought a full recount in the South constituency which could take up to a month to complete.

An initial check of 200,000 votes found a total of 1 vote was counted in error.

Very frustrating for the candidates, the counters and the citizen who're paying for it.

Given the small number of votes between them (327), I can see where Ni Riada is coming from, but given the small difference from the initial count this looks to be a bit of a waste of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

Is this the seat that can't be occupied till after Brexit.

vriesmays wrote: »
    Is this the seat that can't be occupied till after Brexit.

Ni Riada's votes, if and when she is excluded, would then be distributed to the remaining candidates to decide on the order of their seats.

The final seat is in cold storage until Brexit occurs. At the moment that last seat could be between Clune, O'Sullivan or Ni Riada.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭friendlyfun

So the Health Equality for South East is now a vehicle for Matt Shanahan who has used the twitter to call Mary Butler a barbie and the rest of the TDs washed up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,414 ✭✭✭decies

Joke of a carry on in Ireland south by Sinn Fein not the first time they have slapped the face of democracy , hope this carry on is remembered at next general election locally !!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

I'd call it an abuse of democracy tbh. 1 vote in the partial bundle recheck. Now Sinn Fein are wanting more money wasted on a recount that will take a massive amount of time and resources when there's nothing to suggest the recount will change things for their candidate.

Let's face it. Didn't win the Presedential and didn't win in the European. Democracy spoke. The national trend is people gave Sinn Fein a chance and they didn't do what people wanted them to do, so they got washed out.

Sully wrote: »
    I'd call it an abuse of democracy tbh. 1 vote in the partial bundle recheck. Now Sinn Fein are wanting more money wasted on a recount that will take a massive amount of time and resources when there's nothing to suggest the recount will change things for their candidate.

Let's face it. Didn't win the Presedential and didn't win in the European. Democracy spoke. The national trend is people gave Sinn Fein a chance and they didn't do what people wanted them to do, so they got washed out.
    They can’t have it both ways you either believe in the pencil and ballot paper or you go electronic voting !! Leo said today they might have to look at it . 20000 empty ballots in boxes says something is wrong . Sinn Féin should be coughing up for this recount , no wonder this party is threading water .

Hearing local cork SF wanted to concede defeat but over ruled by HQ. They have the weekend to change mind again !!

Sinn Féin should really change their mind. They're going to be hit hard if not.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

How long to they have to take down the posters?,still loads of them on poles around the town.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Blue Dreamer

In all fairness lads this is far from a slap in the face or abuse of democracy. It’s srengthening democracy if anything.

For anyone who has questioned the reasoning behind the recount in Ireland South.
    The recheck was done by sorting through Liadh Ní Riada and Grace O’Sullivan’s votes. There were roughly 196,000 of these. These votes are wrapped in bundles of 50 to make counting easier. The method they used to check the accuracy was to look at the top vote on each bundle of 50 to make sure they were piled with the right person. That means they checked almost exactly 3,920 votes. They found 5 errors. That makes the rate of error to be 0.1256%. There are 327 votes between them. There were 719,000 valid ballots cast. That makes gap between the two 0.04547%. The rate of error is almost triple the gap. The rate of error scaled up to the amount of valid ballots cast would be 906 votes. And that’s the reason there’s a recount.

I’m sure I’ll get hammered over this reply by the usual suspects but at the end of the day The most precious element of our society is our democratic system and I’d should be upheld to the utmost transparency.

I know both grace and Liadh personally. Two great women and it’s a shame one of them will lose out. At this point it looks most likely it will be Liadh. How I’d wish it was Deirdre Clune and both Liadh and grace would be representing Ireland south. Two much stronger and progressive voices. But that’s politics eh. Had a tough time of it myself 😬.

In all fairness lads this is far from a slap in the face or abuse of democracy. It’s srengthening democracy if anything.

For anyone who has questioned the reasoning behind the recount in Ireland South.
    The recheck was done by sorting through Liadh Ní Riada and Grace O’Sullivan’s votes. There were roughly 196,000 of these. These votes are wrapped in bundles of 50 to make counting easier. The method they used to check the accuracy was to look at the top vote on each bundle of 50 to make sure they were piled with the right person. That means they checked almost exactly 3,920 votes. They found 5 errors. That makes the rate of error to be 0.1256%. There are 327 votes between them. There were 719,000 valid ballots cast. That makes gap between the two 0.04547%. The rate of error is almost triple the gap. The rate of error scaled up to the amount of valid ballots cast would be 906 votes. And that’s the reason there’s a recount.

I’m sure I’ll get hammered over this reply by the usual suspects but at the end of the day The most precious element of our society is our democratic system and I’d should be upheld to the utmost transparency.

I know both grace and Liadh personally. Two great women and it’s a shame one of them will lose out. At this point it looks most likely it will be Liadh. How I’d wish it was Deirdre Clune and both Liadh and grace would be representing Ireland south. Two much stronger and progressive voices. But that’s politics eh. Had a tough time of it myself 😬.

In fairness to both sides, the Greens said they'd probably do the same in the circumstances.

However, if it turns out that there wasn't much change they should rightly take the flack for the cost and time this will take.

The other reform that's needed is to stop half of these yahoos getting themselves on the ballot. 60 signatures is all you need - not a high enough bar in a constituency of over a million voters.

I agree re; being selected to run on the ballot. Perhaps similar to the presidential. Nomination from political parties, local authorities in the euro constituency or 5-10,000 citizens signatures.

Having been in the count center in Nemo rangers last Monday and witnessing the sheer volume of paper, you wouldn’t understand unless you saw it first hand.

Regardless of the result, given the narrow margin and the total no. Of votes were we not to call a recount, it would have been raising the white flag. We are not messing or looking to cause mischief for the sake of causing mischief.

We are absolutely serious about wanting to hold this seat and representing the citizens of Ireland south in Brussels for the next 5 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

Thoroughly agree with your post, blue dreamer.

Bringing the cost of the recount into it is ridiculous. I've read comments that SF should pay for it. Do we really want to head down a road where we have a form of democracy that benefits wealthy parties? I think some people need to calm down and let the democratic process come to a conclusion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

How long to they have to take down the posters?,still loads of them on poles around the town.

I saw a van full of them on Upper Ballytruckle/Cherrymount area today for FG

• Registered Users Posts: 28,990 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

noby wrote: »
    Thoroughly agree with your post, blue dreamer.

Bringing the cost of the recount into it is ridiculous. I've read comments that SF should pay for it. Do we really want to head down a road where we have a form of democracy that benefits wealthy parties? I think some people need to calm down and let the democratic process come to a conclusion.

we hardly have this already, do we?

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭Teebor15

I see around the hospital a lot of the posters have been taken down but the cable ties are left there, like as if it's easier and quicker to just rip down the poster than cut the cable ties, stinks of pure laziness! Of course every candidate will deny it's their poster and the council will be left go around to cut down all the cable ties!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Stopitwillya

I agree re; being selected to run on the ballot. Perhaps similar to the presidential. Nomination from political parties, local authorities in the euro constituency or 5-10,000 citizens signatures.

Having been in the count center in Nemo rangers last Monday and witnessing the sheer volume of paper, you wouldn’t understand unless you saw it first hand.

Regardless of the result, given the narrow margin and the total no. Of votes were we not to call a recount, it would have been raising the white flag. We are not messing or looking to cause mischief for the sake of causing mischief.

We are absolutely serious about wanting to hold this seat and representing the citizens of Ireland south in Brussels for the next 5 years.

Sinn Fein rightly give out about wasting taxpayers but have no problem waisting €1 million on this
    Have yere recount but if the results don't change Sinn Fein should be the ones paying for it not the taxpayers.
    €1 million that could be better spent on hospitals, homeless, etc
    A bunch of hypocrites is all Sein Fein are. No different from Fianna Fail and Gael.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Teebor15 wrote: »
    ....and the council will be left go around to cut down all the cable ties!

Not a chance they will do this unless people keep ringing the litter warden about them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Gillman1998

My take on this is that if the call for a recheck and a recount is within the parameters set out in whatever legislation applies, then it is justified. If SF are pushing the boundaries on it then they need to be challenged on the appropriate rules.

As long as the parameters are clear then we have to work within them, even if the party in question is not to our liking.

My take on this is that if the call for a recheck and a recount is within the parameters set out in whatever legislation applies, then it is justified. If SF are pushing the boundaries on it then they need to be challenged on the appropriate rules.

As long as the parameters are clear then we have to work within them, even if the party in question is not to our liking.

I think this is a very balanced comment, but I think there is recognition that whoever did this would face the ire of the media and public, particularly if it was a party in Government.

I do have sympathy for SF on it, but hopefully there will be some reform of the process to avoid this happening again - or to reduce the time and cost involved.

Gillman agreed. The principle of this needs to be protected. It could be any party into the future. There is a narrow enough margin to call this. It’s setting a dangerous precedent for our democracy if the establishment cannot be challenged on the basis of cost. Every single euro of taxpayers money is precious. I don’t believe the cost will be anywhere near €1 million. Let’s get the first recount and see what happens. I hope the same anger is directed towards the enormous overspend on the children’s hospital and rural broadband.

Gillman agreed. The principle of this needs to be protected. It could be any party into the future. There is a narrow enough margin to call this. It’s setting a dangerous precedent for our democracy if the establishment cannot be challenged on the basis of cost. Every single euro of taxpayers money is precious. I don’t believe the cost will be anywhere near €1 million. Let’s get the first recount and see what happens. I hope the same anger is directed towards the enormous overspend on the children’s hospital and rural broadband.

Or towards things like the SF MLA 'representatives' who've been collecting salaries despite there being no Assembly since January 2017.

That's a brilliant example of democracy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 814 ✭✭✭debok

If this was any other party I don't think people would be giving out. I don't even think the cost would be brought up or even released if twas fg.
    But in fairness they only deal in costs of billions .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

debok wrote: »
    If this was any other party I don't think people would be giving out. I don't even think the cost would be brought up or even released if twas fg.
    But in fairness they only deal in costs of billions .

You are saying if this was FG or ff people would not be giving out.....people never Give out about them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

Max Powers wrote: »
    You are saying if this was FG or ff people would not be giving out.....people never Give out about them

FG wouldn't be giving out,you can see already from a few posts back FG supporters getting their digs in as soon as something happens with SF.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭crazydude

Changing the topic...

I wonder, considering the utter looper and racist Gemma O'Doherty has turned out to be, do former Cllr Reinhardt and re-elected Cllr Joe Kelly think they made a big mistake when they proposed and seconded her nomination for President?

crazydude wrote: »
    Changing the topic...

I wonder, considering the utter looper and racist Gemma O'Doherty has turned out to be, do former Cllr Reinhardt and re-elected Cllr Joe Kelly think they made a big mistake when they proposed and seconded her nomination for President?

I don't people would know that really or even care too much. People here said lots of the councillors that appeared in that photo would not be reelected yet many of them were topping polls.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭crazydude

I don't people would know that really or even care too much. People here said lots of the councillors that appeared in that photo would not be reelected yet many of them were topping polls.

Actually my question was not would people care, it was did the gentlemen mentioned regret their decision?

Regarding the "photo" 2 cllrs in that photo lost their seats in City South... not saying that was the reason but you cannot say is wasn't either. Many many factors come into play in local elections.

Advertisement