Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Local elections

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

A direct provision centre is optional free housing for economic migrants from outside the EU who illegally come here after passing through a dozen safe countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Christy Browne

vriesmays wrote: »
    A direct provision centre is optional free housing for economic migrants from outside the EU who illegally come here after passing through a dozen safe countries.

Is that you Lee Walsh?

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Captain Red Beard

Explain to me how Grace O Sullivan being elected will result in your definition of a direct provision centre in Tramore.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Gillman1998

I would say it is more like a prison camp. People who would like to create new lives and work are not given the chance because they are being ‘processed’, and this can take, inexplicably, years.

There is nothing fun about direct provision and if we were a truly modern and responsible country we would sort it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

I would say it is more like a prison camp. People who would like to create new lives and work are not given the chance because they are being ‘processed’, and this can take, inexplicably, years.

There is nothing fun about direct provision and if we were a truly modern and responsible country we would sort it out.

You're not wrong there.

The other poster is just the resident troll, trying to be controversial.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

vriesmays is a racist troll and should be banned from this forum.

Did any of you snowflakes offer accommodation to these bogus asylum seekers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Did any of you snowflakes offer accommodation to these bogus asylum seekers.

Oh shut up with this crap. No I didn’t, just as I didn’t pay your mother’s last medical bill or your sister’s dole.

We live in a republic, and that means we all contribute in order to look after the less fortunate, be they those who are too lazy and feckless to work, those too unfortunate to be able to, and those who arrive on our shores seeking international protection, because God knows what they’ve been through.

I pay plenty of tax, as does my wife, as do all my friends, and I’m happy, as are we all, that part of this goes to help those less fortunate, including what you call “bogus asylum seekers” (how in the name of God can you possibly know they’re bogus when I don’t? Are you possessed of omniscience?).

I wasn’t always “middle class”. We had nothing when I was small, but with my mother’s hard work, some of my own, plus the (financial) support of my fellow citizens helping me through school and college, I was finally able to contribute.

The facts speak for themselves: despite the occasional sponger in the asylum system, most immigrants better themselves once they are offered the freedom to prosper that this country gives them, and contribute amply once they’re established. We help them along their way.

Your racist crapology belongs in those sewers where pessimism and gammon nationalism rule the roost, like Brexit Britain and Trump’s America. This is a forward-looking, liberal and optimistic country, and your views are firmly those of a narrow-minded, bigoted minority. Turn off your computer and as they say up north, catch yerself oan!

You'll also be paying plenty of carbon tax soon thanks to Grace's party.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Captain Red Beard

fricatus wrote: »
    Oh shut up with this crap. No I didn’t, just as I didn’t pay your mother’s bill for your sister’s hole.
    :eek:

Freebies yo!
    You'll also be paying plenty of carbon tax soon thanks to Grace's party.

Meh, those taxes are coming no matter who is in charge because the planet is melting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭crazydude

Oh shut up with this crap. No I didn’t, just as I didn’t pay your mother’s last medical bill or your sister’s dole.

We live in a republic, and that means we all contribute in order to look after the less fortunate, be they those who are too lazy and feckless to work, those too unfortunate to be able to, and those who arrive on our shores seeking international protection, because God knows what they’ve been through.

I pay plenty of tax, as does my wife, as do all my friends, and I’m happy, as are we all, that part of this goes to help those less fortunate, including what you call “bogus asylum seekers” (how in the name of God can you possibly know they’re bogus when I don’t? Are you possessed of omniscience?).

I wasn’t always “middle class”. We had nothing when I was small, but with my mother’s hard work, some of my own, plus the (financial) support of my fellow citizens helping me through school and college, I was finally able to contribute.

The facts speak for themselves: despite the occasional sponger in the asylum system, most immigrants better themselves once they are offered the freedom to prosper that this country gives them, and contribute amply once they’re established. We help them along their way.

Your racist crapology belongs in those sewers where pessimism and gammon nationalism rule the roost, like Brexit Britain and Trump’s America. This is a forward-looking, liberal and optimistic country, and your views are firmly those of a narrow-minded, bigoted minority. Turn off your computer and as they say up north, catch yerself oan!

My god someone said what I always wanted to but could not put into words

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Gillman1998

Perfectly expressed, thank god there are still sensible people around to counter the nutjobs

There's a diversity meet-and-greet in Longford today. That town has a 30% non-national population. Any of you non-nutjobs heading up to this event.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,725 ✭✭✭Deiseen

There's a diversity meet-and-greet in Longford today. That town has a 30% non-national population. Any of you non-nutjobs heading up to this event.

From Census

Location Birthplace Nationality
    Ireland 6,740 7,021
    UK 473 226
    Poland 941 1,000
    Lithuania 263 296
    Other EU 28 687 740
    Rest of World 853 468
    Not stated 0 206
    Total 9,957 9,957

Do you mind the Europeans or is it just the Muslims and the Africans that you don't like? Assuming all the "rest of world" and "not stated" are African/Muslim then you are only at 10%

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Siberian Husky

So these people are "fleeing" war, murder, starvation etc. Are housed, fed, and clothed. What exactly is the problem here?

I pay plenty of tax, as does my wife, as do all my friends, and I’m happy, as are we all, that part of this goes to help those less fortunate,

Ever stop to think that there are many with an opposing viewpoint? Who also pay tax? Who see the dangers in this lunacy? Aided and abetted by the support of people like your good self?

I think Lee Walsh is watching too much Fox News. "The race of Adam". Can someone explain evolution to him? He is completely clueless on all topics.

Lee Walsh comes across as quite articulate. Unlike some of the loonies opposing his views.

DLS_75 wrote: »
    Oh Christ. Another one.

Do explain.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭friendlyfun

Lee Walsh comes across as quite articulate. Unlike some of the loonies opposing his views.

Articulate? I'm sorry you've bought into his BS. He just uses the buzzwords of populists like "globalists"

He made immigration an issue at local council (councils don't control immigration policy).

How anybody could say he's articulate is beyond me. He's quite inarticulate and just parrots whatever the Donald says.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,622 ✭✭✭blackwhite

Your racist crapology belongs in those sewers where pessimism and gammon nationalism rule the roost, like Brexit Britain and Trump’s America........

Whilst I agree with 99% of your post - there's quite the lack of awareness to accuse someone of racism whilst spouting racist terms yourself

• Advertisement

That's because these snowflakes think with their emotions. Practically every one of these asylum seekers in Waterford are fake, they've fled no wars. They're years in DP because they refuse to leave when their claim fails and appeal it over and over. Within a decade Waterford City will be another Longford Town.

That's because these snowflakes think with their emotions. Practically every one of these asylum seekers in Waterford are fake, they've fled no wars. They're years in DP because they refuse to leave when their claim fails and appeal it over and over. Within a decade Waterford City will be another Longford Town.

You seem to strongly dislike people who are non white.

Like I said, thinking with your feelings.

Articulate? I'm sorry you've bought into his BS. He just uses the buzzwords of populists like "globalists"

He made immigration an issue at local council (councils don't control immigration policy).

How anybody could say he's articulate is beyond me. He's quite inarticulate and just parrots whatever the Donald says.

As opposed to the buzzwords bandied about by the half-dozen half-wit liberals that populate this forum? 'Racism", "bigots", etc?

DLS_75 wrote: »
    Am I the only person that thinks that Grace is a lovely person but not a very good politician?

She has never impressed me in the Seanad and seems to get bossed by the men in the Oireachtas. I hope that I’m proved wrong but too often MEPs go to Europe and we don’t hear tell of them again.

Pretty accurate description of her. Remember the party she is representing. I'm sure all the tree huggers will be delighted with the "carbon taxes" as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Christy Browne

Pretty accurate description of her. Remember the party she is representing. I'm sure all the tree huggers will be delighted with the "carbon taxes" as well.

Christ, carbon taxes is the new buzzword for the knuckle draggers. I suppose climate change is a hoax too? Ireland should leave the EU? Soros and the Illuminati are secretly running the world and 5G is going to microwave all of our brains?

Is there an thought in your head that hasn’t been brainwashed into you by Gemma O’D, Nigel Farage, Tommy Robinson, Jordan Peterson and Ben Shapiro et al? Your bull**** Americanisms don’t apply to this country, and you will never win over any significant amount of people. The likes of Renua and GOD are nowhere near winning a seat for a reason. 95% of Irish people are satisfied in the EU.

Keep screaming into the void though, if it gives your life a small bit of meaning.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,989 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Christ, carbon taxes is the new buzzword for the knuckle draggers. I suppose climate change is a hoax too? Ireland should leave the EU? Soros and the Illuminati are secretly running the world and 5G is going to microwave all of our brains?

Its disturbing what ****e people believe in, I think it does show though, something is very deeply wrong with western politics, people are disconnecting from it, and have decided that conspiracies are better, something isn't right.

As opposed to the buzzwords bandied about by the half-dozen half-wit liberals that populate this forum? 'Racism", "bigots", etc?

Racism is a buzzword? First I've heard of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,167 ✭✭✭hardybuck

To get this back on track - does any views as to how the local and European elections might impact the next general election?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,989 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

hardybuck wrote:
    To get this back on track - does any views as to how the local and European elections might impact the next general election?

The next ge will be interesting, but I also suspect the outcome won't differ much to the current situation, I still think ff and fg will ultimately dominate, but i think it may flip flop more in ff's favour. I also suspect the greens will come out well, but will things change all that much? I suspect not

Advertisement