Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Local elections

Options
191011121315»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭hardybuck

robtri wrote: »

Can't see Halligan on it, looks like Deasy has the highest levels of attendance for any Waterford TD?

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Martin_D

hardybuck wrote: »
    Can't see Halligan on it, looks like Deasy has the highest levels of attendance for any Waterford TD?

Is attendance in the Dail or is he marked present but is in US? - see notes under each

• Registered Users Posts: 8,542 ✭✭✭blackwhite

Non-ministers only on the list

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭kayaksurfbum

Tarzann wrote: »
    An amusing anecdote from election day a few weeks back.

Two female candidates in the mid-Waterford electoral area had got their cars transformed into election adverts for their campaigns but a dispute arose when one of them parked in a prominent parking space outside a supermarket in a mid-Waterford village, where voters who would have seen the car as they turned off the main street towards the polling station. The other candidate arrived later and proceeded to park on the outside of the first car, to place hers in the prominent eyeline of drivers, and blocking the first car. An argument ensued, which resulted in the Gardai being called to deal with the situation.

Without naming names, these 2 candidates finished 8th and 9th of the 9 candidates who took part.

One of these 2 candidates had tried to gatecrash events run by other candidates including a non-political annual Cycle against Suicide in the preceding weeks, luckily the local electorate saw her true colours and voted accordingly.

Lets be greatfull they didn't get a seat. Does one of the names rhyme with "Can Lie"?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Emanine

One of the candidates in my electoral area was sat outside the polling station in their car for the entire duration of Election Day. I don’t think they should be allowed anywhere near the polling station

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

Thought o'dowd on six one last night pathetic, trying to defend deasy by saying it's all FGs fault, she was at my door looking for my vote a few weeks before yesterday, FG was all great then. Glad I didn't give her a vote now, the ship on deasy sailed a long time ago, long before he went off the the USA.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭hardybuck

I would have been in the group of people who thought that he could be replaced with someone better, but I'm not 100% sure if he's been fairly treated here.

We have one one hand got people saying he's been AWOL since 2016, and then the Oireachtas record seems to indicate that he's got the highest attendance levels for any of the Waterford TDs - but we can't see Halligan's.

The America thing is a bit bizarre - but should he have refused a post that the Taoiseach offered him? Are the people of Meath hopping up and down because Helen McEntee is the Minister for State for European Affairs and spends a huge amount of time in Brussels?

I think a lot of this needs to be clarified, and I think the guy should be listened to when he gets an opportunity to defend himself - and let people make up their minds with both sides of the story.

The fairest way for this to be sorted out is in the ballot box. If the public want a different person then absolutely nobody will have a problem with it. But this thing of Coffey's brother handing the motion in isn't a good look for FG.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

I would have been in the group of people who thought that he could be replaced with someone better, but I'm not 100% sure if he's been fairly treated here.

We have one one hand got people saying he's been AWOL since 2016, and then the Oireachtas record seems to indicate that he's got the highest attendance levels for any of the Waterford TDs - but we can't see Halligan's.

The America thing is a bit bizarre - but should he have refused a post that the Taoiseach offered him? Are the people of Meath hopping up and down because Helen McEntee is the Minister for State for European Affairs and spends a huge amount of time in Brussels?

I think a lot of this needs to be clarified, and I think the guy should be listened to when he gets an opportunity to defend himself - and let people make up their minds with both sides of the story.

The fairest way for this to be sorted out is in the ballot box. If the public want a different person then absolutely nobody will have a problem with it. But this thing of Coffey's brother handing the motion in isn't a good look for FG.

Fair points hardy, it wouldnt bother me coffeys brother handing in the letter. Id say in a place like Meath where the economy has been buzzing due largely to proximity to Dublin, people are not fussed mcentee off doing clearly important stuff with brexit. Now some would say this undocumented Irish in the USA is very important too, I doubt its on same level as brexit but the important point is Waterford is crying out for investment, jobs, etc, Deasy should be a hell of a lot more prominent on that. His silence on hospital and even dismissing the NQ at one stage is beyond any stretch of how our TD should be acting.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Difference between Helen McEntee and John Deasy is that Helen is all over her constituency at events and appears well liked by members in the consistency. Her role brings her overseas but shes not shying away from local duties. Her social media presence is strong and she's frequently on TV and Radio.

John isn't. He hasn't been there to offer support and his base is weakened with strong candidates ready and waiting to replace with a strong vote.

Optics for the public. Optics wins votes too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭thesaturdayman

Maybe Deasy is a more withdrawn individual doesn’t need to be turning up at every opening of a letter - like some. Not a FG person but this has been embarrassing, Damien G like a bull in a china shop trying to get on the ticket. Paudie Coffey / brother the same. The whole thing stinks & then the same clowns wheeled out on radio again today. Amateur hour.

Deasys have half a century of work done behind the scenes in the west, dungarvan is very well looked after for a town of its size in terms of big employers and investment also. No coincidence if you ask me!

I also think he has been totally and unfairly represented here, I would love to hear what he, or others in the party at a senior level have to say & particularly about the complete lack of professionalism from some of its party members.... then again what else would you expect from a pig, only a grunt!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Gardner

Maybe Deasy is a more withdrawn individual doesn’t need to be turning up at every opening of a letter - like some. Not a FG person but this has been embarrassing, Damien G like a bull in a china shop trying to get on the ticket. Paudie Coffey / brother the same. The whole thing stinks & then the same clowns wheeled out on radio again today. Amateur hour.

Deasys have half a century of work done behind the scenes in the west, dungarvan is very well looked after for a town of its size in terms of big employers and investment also. No coincidence if you ask me!

I also think he has been totally and unfairly represented here, I would love to hear what he, or others in the party at a senior level have to say & particularly about the complete lack of professionalism from some of its party members.... then again what else would you expect from a pig, only a grunt!

no FG voter either but i have to agree with this.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Tarzann

Lets be greatfull they didn't get a seat. Does one of the names rhyme with "Can Lie"?

Yes indeed it does!

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭kayaksurfbum

Tarzann wrote: »
    Yes indeed it does!

She called to me house looking for a vote. Her only achievement on her flyer was that she successfully had a wind farm stopped! I asked "why would you stop a wind farm, would a coal burning plant be better?" She totally ignored me and got back into her car!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,524 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

Sully wrote: »
    Difference between Helen McEntee and John Deasy is that Helen is all over her constituency at events and appears well liked by members in the consistency. Her role brings her overseas but shes not shying away from local duties. Her social media presence is strong and she's frequently on TV and Radio.

John isn't. He hasn't been there to offer support and his base is weakened with strong candidates ready and waiting to replace with a strong vote.

Optics for the public. Optics wins votes too.

You're hardly referring to Senator Paudie Coffee who did such a fantastic job as Minister for State with responsibility for housing?

At least John Deasy did something positive by bringing the suffering of Grace to light and threats that the whistleblower faced as a result. Now that's what I can representing people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

I'm 24 and voted FF. Why you might ask? Because I think Eddie Mulligan is best politician out of the ones elected in Waterford East.
    Why is his home at risk, what message does that give to young people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭Deiseen

vriesmays wrote: »

What's up with his home?

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭DLS_75

You’re gonna have to explain this one to me. I’m someone who’s also battling with the banks over my mortgage - a mortgage I have been engaging with for many years but they still want to take the house from me. But please explain how I’m a bad influence on young people.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,681 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

What kind of a statement is that? Were you absolutely bullet-proof during the recession of 2008 onwards or do you know anyone who was affected by how the banks treated people during this period? People of all ages, jobs and socio-economic classes were affected by the bust and as a result there are hundreds of thousands of people out there who are in dire straits trying to hang on to their home. Should none of those people be elected representatives, is that your view?

• Advertisement

Yes, that's my view. People in dire straits shouldn't be in the council, they're not suited to help improve Waterford's economy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭DeiseNew

Yes, that's my view. People in dire straits shouldn't be in the council, they're not suited to help improve Waterford's economy.

By that logic, John Halligan isnt in dire straits and has done next to nothing for Waterford especially for cardiac care. Eoghan Murphy is one of the richest and most well off TDs in the country and there are still 4000 people without a home today. Your argument is beyond illogical.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭Bards

I think that these are some of the best people to be involved in local government.. They will have real live experience to bring to meetings etc..

DeiseNew wrote: »
    By that logic, John Halligan isnt in dire straits and has done next to nothing for Waterford especially for cardiac care. Eoghan Murphy is one of the richest and most well off TDs in the country and there are still 4000 people without a home today. Your argument is beyond illogical.

Come on now, Halligan has done more than most.

Deiseen wrote: »

Really? And im not trying to be blunt with you but remind me exactly what Halligan has done for Waterford, what will he be remembered for? Because right now he is only known for blustering into the election campaign a few years ago on the trail of some incredibly naïve promises regarding getting cardiac care and "raining down hell" on the government if they didn't deliver. In the background the government were absolutely busting themselves laughing at this man and they played him for a fool, letting him believe they were going to deliver and then slowly baked off, letting him take all the wrath.

Then you have his silly ramblings on aliens when he really should be doing more important things. Even Leo had a pop at him during the WLRFM interview. Right now Halligan has his ministerial pension which is all he cares about so hes just riding the criticism until then and we most likely will never see him again.

Really? And im not trying to be blunt with you but remind me exactly what Halligan has done for Waterford, what will he be remembered for? Because right now he is only known for blustering into the election campaign a few years ago on the trail of some incredibly naïve promises regarding getting cardiac care and "raining down hell" on the government if they didn't deliver. In the background the government were absolutely busting themselves laughing at this man and they played him for a fool, letting him believe they were going to deliver and then slowly baked off, letting him take all the wrath.

Then you have his silly ramblings on aliens when he really should be doing more important things. Even Leo had a pop at him during the WLRFM interview. Right now Halligan has his ministerial pension which is all he cares about so hes just riding the criticism until then and we most likely will never see him again.

No.1: Yes he has not delivered 24/7 Cardiac yet but he is more vocal about this then all other candidates combined. He was silly to make the Statement about reigning down hell on the government but if he had collapsed the government then that would have set Waterford back a decade. Would we even be where we are without him? I don't think so.

No.2: He looks like he has secured substantial funding for the airport. This he has to deliver on.

No.3: Is he not allowed talk about anything other than his ministerial duties? Is he not allowed have a personality? He hasn't said anything crazy about aliens, it would be pretty hard to believe if aliens don't exist considering the size of the universe.

No.4: my original statement was that he has done more than most. Never said he was doing a brilliant job but if you could name any current TD who is delivering more for Waterford then I would be happy to listen to your case.

No.1: Yes he has not delivered 24/7 Cardiac yet but he is more vocal about this then all other candidates combined. He was silly to make the Statement about reigning down hell on the government but if he had collapsed the government then that would have set Waterford back a decade. Would we even be where we are without him? I don't think so.

No.2: He looks like he has secured substantial funding for the airport. This he has to deliver on.

No.3: Is he not allowed talk about anything other than his ministerial duties? Is he not allowed have a personality? He hasn't said anything crazy about aliens, it would be pretty hard to believe if aliens don't exist considering the size of the universe.

No.4: my original statement was that he has done more than most. Never said he was doing a brilliant job but if you could name any current TD who is delivering more for Waterford then I would be happy to listen to your case.

No I cant name another TD in Waterford who is doing much for Waterford so ill get that out of the way right now. But that doesn't take away from how incompetent Halligan is and how stupid the people of Waterford were to be taken in by his empty promises. More vocal that any other TD? Not true. David Cullinane is at every meeting regarding this issue and also is fighting very hard to get the cardiac care and cath lab issue over the line. Plus, and this is a major point, where is Halligan during all these marches for 24/7? The very man who promised it is nowhere to be seen, how utterly cowardly of him. David Cullinane was at the last one, and shortly after his mother passed away so that wasn't easy. Halligan is hiding in the trenches until his fat pension comes in. I know it, he knows it and anyone with an ounce of sense in Waterford knows it.

I don't care if John Halligan believes in the tooth fairy, some magical place that we all go to when we die or if he has a picture of BigFoot on his phone- not relevant to his duties as a Minister. He is of course allowed his opinions and a personality but people don't vote for personality. They want action on issues that affect them and in this sense he has let them down.

The airport was not soley due to him, he is in cahoots with that turncoat Shane Ross so that helped get the funding. And im not complaining. I don't care if we got the money from robbing a bank (well as long as nobody got hurt!) as long as this runway extension goes ahead. I agree with you, if he doesn't deliver on this, his already thin credibility will be dashed, but go back to my point about pension...he doesn't really care either way. He is sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭DLS_75

Pensions*

He threatened to rain Hell on the Government and also threatened to quit if they didn’t deliver 24/7 cardiac care. That was political naivety in the extreme.

Let’s not forget, John Halligan had nothing to do with the application by the airport. Leo Varadkar said that what was compelling about the application was that it was backed by private money. The chamber and some other groups - like the North Quays developers - lobbied for it and it seems that people are crediting it to Halligan because he’s Shane ross’s best buddy.

Also, let’s not forget that it was John Halligan who briefed the Taoiseach before he spoke in Waterford, discrediting, or attempting to anyway, the four pathologists. That’s why during that whole controversy, he didn’t open his mouth.

He hasn’t achieved anything for Waterford that wouldn’t have been achieved anyway. Unlike the likes of Boxer Moran who made sure that his demands were met in government and his local constituents now have a multi million euro flood relief system that will save many livelihoods for the foreseeable future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭_blaaz

No.1: Yes he has not delivered 24/7 Cardiac yet but he is more vocal about this then all other candidates combined. He was silly to make the Statement about reigning down hell on the government but if he had collapsed the government then that would have set Waterford back a decade.

In other words he has failed to achieve what he promised as regards cardiac care??

I dont see any point in respecting someone for supporting a government,who cant deliver what he promised?

• Advertisement

Halligan announced this week the doors are open to all from around the world.

Advertisement