Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fine Gael TD sues Dublin Hotel after falling off swing

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    I think its very funny when the same poster defends FG to the death across many threads anytime they are rightly or wrongly critisized.

Obvious as daylight. Deflection tactics.

Never defended this woman.

Try again.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

I have called this woman an idiot and disgrace.

So?
    I just think there is a hatchet job the last 24 hours.

Maybe not the thread for it when this woman deserves the backlash she is getting?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭squawker

NIMAN wrote: »
    Haha ha.

Do you know what happened the country in 2008?

And who was at the wheel at the time?

Don't think I mentioned the other shower and never voted for those pricks either

Leo has been lucky that the world economy has improved and that's all, also Fine Gael weren't too vocal with the mismanagement of the country during the boom time either

Fine Gael have done nothing of note, only thing they are good for is taking orders from the Germans

I suppose some things never change

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭dk6dk6

McCrack wrote: »
    I know popular opinion is against claims yet I know most people would be straight down to a solicitor if they suffered an injury arising from negligence

In this case the swing should not be in a pub, swings are normally in playgrounds

Putting a swing in a pub invites drunk people onto it and drunk people can fall injuring themselves. Pubs selling alcohol have a duty of care and providing a swing on their premises in my view breaches that

Why did I feel the need to slap myself in the face reading this nonsense?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Hipstery gimmicks.... Trying to look trendy.... Superficial sh1te with no real substance... Gimmicky rather than being well ran and delivering a good service..... One wonders what would attract Leo and the Blueshirts to this hotel in the first place!

As much as I despise the current government, this is completely unreasonable. TDs are allowed to have a social life and go out with their friends just like the rest of us, and Sophie’s is extremely popular with those swings appearing in probably tens of thousands of Instagram photos since the place opened. I’d rather be represented by people who do the things ordinary people do so they know how it is. The issue here is that thousands of people have sat on those swings, with or without holding the ropes, and not fallen off. Others have indeed fallen off and put it down to bad drunken luck.

This asshat has decided to contribute to the “duty of care” bullsh!t and the persistent tightening of rules as well as rising cost of goods and services, by blaming others for her own stupidity. But there’s nothing wrong with politicians doing things that regular people do on a weekly basis - indeed, personally I’d rather we had more politicians like that. Obviously this incident totally disqualifies her at least in my book, but having a go at a politician simply for going to a popular nightclub on a night off? Ridiculous IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

As much as I despise the current government, this is completely unreasonable. TDs are allowed to have a social life and go out with their friends just like the rest of us, and Sophie’s is extremely popular with those swings appearing in probably tens of thousands of Instagram photos since the place opened. I’d rather be represented by people who do the things ordinary people do so they know how it is. The issue here is that thousands of people have sat on those swings, with or without holding the ropes, and not fallen off. Others have indeed fallen off and put it down to bad drunken luck.

This asshat has decided to contribute to the “duty of care” bullsh!t and the persistent tightening of rules as well as rising cost of goods and services, by blaming others for her own stupidity. But there’s nothing wrong with politicians doing things that regular people do on a weekly basis - indeed, personally I’d rather we had more politicians like that. Obviously this incident totally disqualifies her at least in my book, but having a go at a politician simply for going to a popular nightclub on a night off? Ridiculous IMO.

These are mostly upper middle class establishments frequented by the well to do South County Dublin types which Maria Bailey would fall into.

After the bills, mortgage/rent and day to day costs have been paid off most ordinary decent hardworking people do not have simply have the money to pay for a night out and if they do it's a rarity. Remember the Fine Gael slogan from the last election "let's keep the recovery going" most people haven't seen any "recovery".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

Stephen15 wrote: »
    These are mostly upper middle class establishments frequented by the well to do South County Dublin types which Maria Bailey would fall into.

After the bills, mortgage/rent and day to day costs have been paid off most ordinary decent hardworking people do not have simply have the money to pay for a night out and if they do it's a rarity. Remember the Fine Gael slogan from the last election "let's keep the recovery going" most people haven't seen any "recovery".

Hmmm have you any stats to back this up at all?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

The housing crisis, unlawful evictions, people commuting from Portlaoise to Dublin on a daily basis, childcare costs the list goes on. You might be in for a shock when Ben Gilroy is elected on Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

You're 100% a FG shill.extra pay for the night shift?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Vote for who though?

Independents, possible but what do they really achieve apart from a few potholes.

I'm going to start with the council. I won't vote anyone from the main parties in, it's my opinion that they defeat the purpose of abolishing the dual mandate for new, fresh blood, as it just makes them stronger, allows more of them into power.
    TD's handing their now vacant council seats to their brother/son/cousin etc. They can already give them seats in the Seanad.
    It also looks like a lot of the corruption we see, seems to start at council level, maybe it's taught there :rolleyes:.
    I'm not saying all councillors who become TD's are corrupt, but it gives them an easier opportunity to learn how, scratching each others backs for planning there in exchange for agreeing with x.
    I also believe that having independents or smaller parties in local governments, may give them more incentive to do a better job, and allows them to see things on a local level far more clearly.
    That, and the main parties seem to be more interested in lining their own pockets.

Right, that's off my chest, back to Bailey... :)
    Looks like she lost the swing voters...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,767 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Any pub/restaurant that provides adult swings is only asking for trouble if you ask me.

Let's have bars and restaurants, preferably with plastic glasses, plastic cutlery, padded walls and safety barriers because people find oh so many new and inventive ways of hurting themselves to screw cash out of owners. The leisure industry is fooked because of claims.

We have become a nation of money grabbing, cry baby imbeciles, no longer capable of dusting ourselves off and getting up again. Always someone else's fault.
    There, there, a few thousand euros should make that superficial injury better.

Who would provide fun stuff now to a public who will either wreck it or hurt themselves and run off to their solicitor enablers?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

smurgen wrote: »
    He challenged a claim that no one can afford to go out - something that is patently absurd - so he must be a FG shill? Do you by any chance have an arrest record for inconveniencing Joan Burton?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,337 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

I thought you had to swing both ways to go into politics.

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Ashleigh1986

Vote for the likes of this crayture ???
    Last week in was the lad in Donegal who got a grant of 40,000 euro to Tarmac his driveway .
    Only thing was his mother who didn't live in the house put in the application.
    A load of gangsters the lot of them.
    It's all about the party .
    Built from the top down.
    Taoiseach first .... Cabinet / ministers next .
    Tds after that .
    Councillors next followed by the gom****es enlisted to do door to door canvassing / putting up posters .
    A few more days and these rats will run away most of them not to be heard for a few years .

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

I must say the journal/boards have done a serious hatchet job on FG in the last 24 hours.

4 headlines about FG candidates on the journal.

Nothing on any other party!!

Leaving aside this idiotic woman it does make you wonder.

I actually had the famous "Dawson's Creek" crying meme jpg ready to stick in here as a reply, but then thought s genuine answer might come across as containing a good swift dose of the harsh reality you need to hear.

The above, no - the journal/boards or any other media platform did not do a "hatchet job" on the beloved FG party, in this particular thread, Maria Bailey did a hatchet job on the FG party.

We have a bunch of people in govt, presiding over housing/health crises unprecedented (let's park the hospital/broadband/Denis O'Brien for a bit) who have been preaching to us about the dangerous claims culture/ludicrous insurance premiums forcing small and medium businesses to go under, and then we have this prime example of greed.

A woman who goes on to become a TD, on a night out in town did what countless thousands have did before her, sat on a swing, which is (apparently) 1.5ft off the ground (that's 45cm in New money), now barring you're an Oompa Loompa from Loompaland, that's pretty much certain your feet will touch the ground, preventing any accidents, and certainly limiting any injuries sustained if someone actually was brain dead/lacked the mobility skill needed to stay upright on one.

However, apparently this woman somehow did fall off the swing, and despite the already mentioned 45cm off the ground, managed to apparently cause herself soft tissue damage, and neck and head injuries etc.

So traumatised by this horrifying ordeal, she has felt the need to enlist a well known FG firm of lawyers, the family of our culture Minister - Josepha Madigan - to pursue this claim on her behalf.

Madigans have claimed the hotel was negligent because this then 38 year old woman apparently needed - not only adult supervision on a swing, but also signage that had instructions on how it operated.

A swing. A fcuking swing.

Yet People are to trust her to legislate on life and death matters concerning every citizen of the state.

Did I mention that her party are in govt, constantly preaching about a claimant culture/ludicrous payouts and unsustainable premiums forcing businesses to go under?

Replace the name Maria Bailey with Margaret Cash, as pulling a stunt like this, and youd be all over this thread like a rash I bet.

Hatchet job my backside.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

mikhail wrote: »
    He challenged a claim that no one can afford to go out - something that is patently absurd - so he must be a FG shill? Do you by any chance have an arrest record for inconveniencing Joan Burton?

Anything anti government and he's the first one out of the stocks spinning and deflecting. Seen it on countless threads.

I actually think in addition to everything else, she's tarnished women in government. Every other week you hear about the disproportionate male to female ratio in government buildings. How they're encouraging more women to enter politics and so on. so here comes this yoke and paints a picture of a self entitled tipsy Vuitton wearing high headed Madame, who not only fails to navigate a device designed for the usage of 6 year olds and up BUT when she does take a tumble, she goes running to her solicitor for a chancers payout!! THIS a supposed pillar of the modern female politique.. it's precisely because it's more difficult for women in these jobs, that a certain standard needs to be maintained, not my rules by the way but it's just the way of it.. Never mind dropping the claim, she should be dropped from the party, end of story..

rusty cole wrote:
    I actually think in addition to everything else, she's tarnished women in government. Every other week you hear about the disproportionate male to female ratio in government buildings. How they're encouraging more women to enter politics and so on. so here comes this yoke and paints a picture of a self entitled tipsy Vuitton wearing high headed Madame, who not only cannot manage to navigate a device designed for the usage of 6 year olds and up BUT when she does take a tumble, she goes running to her solicitor for a chancers payout!! THIS a supposed pillar of the modern female politique.. it's precisely because it's more difficult for women in these jobs, that a certain standard needs to be maintained, not my rules by the way but it's just the way of it.. Never mind dropping the claim, she should be dropped from the party, end of story..

This is really not a gender thing.

This is really not a gender thing.

No it's not, and there's worse men in government who do more harmful things.
    I feel she's done harm in this regard though, I'm not saying that's a fact, it's only my opinion. If she was to encourage young women to be strong and independent and have integrity etc, which she does all the time, how can we take her seriously now it's a case of do as I say, not as I do!!

I think her credibility now is in tatters and she should walk! just because it's such a preposterous incident!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,286 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Hopefully voters take note and turf her out next time

How the hell did ppl vote for her in the first place??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Her daddy's performance tomorrow will be a good indicator imo.

rusty cole wrote:
    No it's not, and there's worse men in government who do more harmful things. I feel she's done harm in this regard though, I'm not saying that's a fact, it's only my opinion. If she was to encourage young women to be strong and independent and have integrity etc, which she does all the time, how can we take her seriously now it's a case of do as I say, not as I do!!

Except nobody has mentioned the fact she is female until now. Nobody is questioning the suitability of women in government because of this, only her suitability. She's an idiot, and she's unfortunately not alone in her idiocy, but her gender didn't come into it until you brought it up.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭Fan of Netflix

I must say the journal/boards have done a serious hatchet job on FG in the last 24 hours.

4 headlines about FG candidates on the journal.

Nothing on any other party!!

Leaving aside this idiotic woman it does make you wonder.
    Yes it's a worrying time for Fine Gael bots like you that churn out their propaganda 24/7 on here. But I wouldn't worry too much they'll still poll very well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Because she had the label "FG"
    This is what is wrong here (and indeed everywhere)
    Blindly voting for idiots just because they have the party label.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭Fan of Netflix

Sir Oxman wrote: »
    Because she had the label "FG"
    This is what is wrong here (and indeed everywhere)
    Blindly voting for idiots just because they have the party label.
    Thick Paddy would vote for a donkey if it had a FG/FF badge on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

mikhail wrote: »
    smurgen wrote: »

In fairness the poster has form. It's very obvious.

Except nobody has mentioned the fact she is female until now. Nobody is questioning the suitability of women in government because of this, only her suitability. She's an idiot, and she's unfortunately not alone in her idiocy, but her gender didn't come into it until you brought it up.

I remember watching ER years ago and Doctor Benton was very tough on a student who was also African American. The student asked him if he had something against him and Benton said...because I was a minority in this field and had to work harder, stay longer and be better, precisely because I'm a minority in my field. As a result I expect better of myself and am held to a higher standard.. Is it fair NO, but that's how it is.

So I take back Gender and substitute it for minority!! As she's in one, she should hold herself to a higher standard rather than doing her best to lower it!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

All she said was that Bailey -Ryan had a right to take a case. Which she has.

I'll make a prediction though. If by some miracle she manages to hold her seat in the next election, Ms. Bailey-Ryan will spend the rest of her time in Dáil Eireann warming the backbenches.

A seat should be easier but if she can't hold onto a swing...

.... Replace the name Maria Bailey with Margaret Cash, as pulling a stunt like this, and youd be all over this thread like a rash I bet.

Hatchet job my backside.

A very, very fair point (that applies to many posters in AH).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

The housing crisis, unlawful evictions, people commuting from Portlaoise to Dublin on a daily basis, childcare costs the list goes on. You might be in for a shock when Ben Gilroy is elected on Friday.

Is there that many Freeman on the Land nutcases in the country?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement