Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fine Gael TD sues Dublin Hotel after falling off swing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭kravmaga

If she wins there will need to be someone supervising every swing in the country because of the legal precedent. Most playground owners will simply remove the swings. The same could well apply to other playground activities.

Lets hope the circuit court judge sees sense and throws the claim out

• Registered Users Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭downtheroad

I just sent the following email to Maria Bailey and copied several of her Fine Gael colleagues. Please feel free to copy and paste if you are in agreement.

Dear Deputy Bailey,

I am writing a short email to advise that due to your decision to take legal action against a Dublin hotel, seeking damages up to €60,000, I will not be voting for any Fine Gael candidate in the upcoming local and European elections this Friday 24th May.

Insurance costs are rising significantly in Ireland due to the volume of compensation claims that are being entered via our legal system, and a compensation culture is creeping into our society. I believe that your high profile case displays a lack of leadership as an elected official, and for this reason I will not be voting for any member of your party this coming Friday, despite doing so in recent elections.

I am copying into this email:
    Leo Varadkar TD as leader of Fine Gael
    Josepha Madigan TD whose family law firm are representing you in this case
    Charlie Flanagan TD as Minister for Justice
    Regina Doherty TD who today defended your claim
    Councillor Naoise O'Muiri who is standing for election in my electoral ward on 24th May
    Jeff Johnston who is standing for election in my electoral ward on 24th May
    Frances Fitzgerald TD who is standing for European election on 24th May

Yours sincerely,
    downtheroad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Edgware wrote: »
    Do we give a fúck about your opinion. You know where the airport is

Hit a nerve did I? We have a serious problem with an apathethic and selfish electorate only interested in what their local gombeen can do for them. And that is only one reason why we are where we are with health, housing, judicial system, the list goes on.

We need to look at ourselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    Hit a nerve did I? We have a serious problem with an apathethic and selfish electorate only interested in what their local gombeen can do for them. And that is only one reason why we are where we are with health, housing, judicial system, the list goes on.

And what should we do then O wise one?! :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

I'm completely against the ridiculous claims culture and the crazy payouts mostly to idiots like this one injured due their own stupidity in this country and think this another nonsensical case. Surely though having adult swings in a bar is a potential claim waiting happen it sounds like another one of those ridiculous hipster novelties.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,473 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

I'm scarlett for this TD as the yoof would say.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

ChikiChiki wrote: »

Wow you are a real expert. Can you give any answers besides looking at ourselves?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

most people would be too embarrassed to highlight they had fallen off a swing that was two foot off the ground! Here is an opportunistic parasite, who actually has the gall to try and sue for it!

The standard of those in office here is a fcuking scandal! That other FG morons drives down some steps outside the Dail!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭Simple_Simone

I just sent the following email to Maria Bailey and copied several of her Fine Gael colleagues. Please feel free to copy and paste if you are in agreement.

Dear Deputy Bailey,

I am writing a short email to advise that due to your decision to take legal action against a Dublin hotel, seeking damages up to €60,000, I will not be voting for any Fine Gael candidate in the upcoming local and European elections this Friday 24th May.

Insurance costs are rising significantly in Ireland due to the volume of compensation claims that are being entered via our legal system, and a compensation culture is creeping into our society. I believe that your high profile case displays a lack of leadership as an elected official, and for this reason I will not be voting for any member of your party this coming Friday, despite doing so in recent elections.

Charlie Flanagan TD as Minister for Justice
    Regina Doherty TD who today defended your claim
    Councillor Naoise O'Muiri who is standing for election in my electoral ward on 24th May
    Jeff Johnston who is standing for election in my electoral ward on 24th May
    Frances Fitzgerald TD who is standing for European election on 24th May

Yours sincerely,
    downtheroad

I suggest that you send it to her old man while you're at it!

After all, it was probably him who taught her all about ethical behavour.

jbailey@cllr.dlrcoco.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭Simple_Simone

Regina Doherty has come out swinging (no pun intended) in Bailey's defence today.

Minister's defends Fine Gael TD's right to take personal injury action against Dublin hotel

All she said was that Bailey -Ryan had a right to take a case. Which she has.

I'll make a prediction though. If by some miracle she manages to hold her seat in the next election, Ms. Bailey-Ryan will spend the rest of her time in Dáil Eireann warming the backbenches.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭1hnr79jr65

I wrote a similar email as yours. Joke of a party.

Dear Deputy Bailey,

If you can't make use of a swing without supervision, something a child or 4-6 can easily master, of which you intend to make an outrageous claim which MAY have the following consequences:

- Requirement of supervisors where even there is a swing, i am sure country councils do not have budget for this.
    - Private individuals in the company of their own homes could be subject to legal action if a child/adult not of their immediate family is injured using a swing due to "lack of supervision", with possibility of increased home insurance costs.
    - Private companies/parks would be subject to same as private individuals but with possibility of increased business insurance costs.
    - Increase general insurance for any person including health, car, travel to cover claims costs.

Maria Doyle who is standing for election in my electoral ward on 24th May
    Linus English who is standing for election in my electoral ward on 24th May

Yours sincerely,
    Sour Lemonz

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

In fairness she wasnt been supervised at the time which I would expect for someone under the age of three. Also no safety signs in place and instructions on.how to use the swing. Lol

• Registered Users Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭downtheroad

All she said was that Bailey -Ryan had a right to take a case. Which she has.

Just as I have the right to run across the M50 blindfold at rush hour if I want to.

I'll make a prediction though. If by some miracle she manages to hold her seat in the next election, Ms. Bailey-Ryan will spend the rest of her time in Dáil Eireann warming the backbenches.

Deputy Doherty's secretary replied to me already stating that, and as correct as it is I do think Deputy Doherty should not have commented rather than making an irresponsible comment such as this. In my mind she is endorsing the claim being taken by Maria Bailey, when the claim should be admonished. It sends an appalling message to everyone in the country, if you are involved in an accident for which you are responsible you still have a right to take a case.

She should not have any right to take a case where she is liable for her actions. These type of claims and cases need to be stamped out of this country as soon as possible.

A hospital over-run that will go from 700 million to 2 billion.
    3 Billion on broadband which we will never own, to be sold at a later date and joe tax payer charged by a private company.
    Metro North going from anything in the 3 billion to 5 billion range....

They are spending our money as quick as we can earn/cough it up. There's' zero difference here insofar as how Pascal the lisp and leo the liar are raping the people of Ireland, I'd seriously rather Bertie was back to be honest, at least he's got fooking charisma!

Now this shoe faced carrie bradshaw wannabe expects us to pay her (which is what we'll do indirectly) why??? cos she had a bellini and a cosmo too many and never heard of newtonian laws? I'm raging hearing about this more and more... her office should be protested!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,473 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Dear Deputy Bailey,

If you can't make use of a swing without supervision, something a child or 4-6 can easily master, of which you intend to make an outrageous claim which MAY have the following consequences:

- Requirement of supervisors where even there is a swing, i am sure country councils do not have budget for this.
    - Private individuals in the company of their own homes could be subject to legal action if a child/adult not of their immediate family is injured using a swing due to "lack of supervision", with possibility of increased home insurance costs.
    - Private companies/parks would be subject to same as private individuals but with possibility of increased business insurance costs.
    - Increase general insurance for any person including health, car, travel to cover claims costs.

Maria Doyle who is standing for election in my electoral ward on 24th May
    Linus English who is standing for election in my electoral ward on 24th May

Yours sincerely,
    Sour Lemonz

I can't believe your name is Sour Lemonz.

That's awesome. I hope you're not too bitter about your parents.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Force Carrier

She has a 'right' to take this action.

Yes from a legal point of view we all have the right to take proceedings against anyone for anything and sue for damages. Once the paperwork is all filled out properly and signed away you go. What a vacuous observation.

She has no right to expect anything other than contempt and rejection as and when she puts herself forward for high office. You are proposing yourself to be a leader in society. Trusted to manage the economy, society and the community. Make big, far reaching decisions. Represent Irish people. And you fall off a child's swing and can't even take responsibility for your own clumsiness and stupidity. But actually seek to strip cash from an Irish business and compound one of the biggest problems facing us in recent years - mounting and unfeasible insurance premiums for business.

Think less about rights and more about responsibility. And character.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

I just sent the following email to Maria Bailey and copied several of her Fine Gael colleagues.

You may want to add Alan Farrell's email address to that, or maybe mention him in the email too.
    alan.farrell@oir.ie

Quote from Alan Farrell a month before his compensation claim:
    https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/the-floating-voter-compo-culture-means-kids-cant-run-in-the-school-yard-fine-gael-td-says-37010508.html
    Children are banned from running and kicking footballs in school yards due the soaring cost of insurance, a Fine Gael TD has said.
    Dublin Fingal TD Alan Farrell said it is “obscene” and “madness” that children are being banned from exercising in some schools due to high insurance premiums.
    Mr Farrell said: “They will not allow the children run or kick a ball above waist height… because you might hit a kid in the head, scratch their head and the parent will sue.” “You can’t stop a child from exercising and I just think it’s wrong,” he added.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭nuac

Remember Brian Crowley MEP paralysed himself when he feel through the roof of a building while trespassing as a 16yr old. He got a big pay out.

BC sustained very serious injuries

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

rusty cole wrote: »
    3 Billion on broadband which we will never own, to be sold at a later date and joe tax payer charged by a private company.

They are spending our money as quick as we can earn/cough it up. There's' zero difference here insofar as how Pascal the lisp and leo the liar are raping the people of Ireland, I'd seriously rather Bertie was back to be honest, at least he's got fooking charisma!

Now this shoe faced carrie bradshaw wannabe expects us to pay her (which is what we'll do indirectly) why??? cos she had a bellini and a cosmo too many and never heard of newtonian laws? I'm raging hearing about this more and more... her office should be protested!

Ah yes.

FF are the better option!!!

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.independent.ie/irish-news/30000-for-hanafin-mum-after-leinster-house-fall-26657826.html

The mother of Tourism Minister and Fianna Fail deputy leader Mary Hanafin was paid €30,000 in compensation following a fall during a visit to Leinster House.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭squawker

rusty cole wrote: »

nothing surprises me with a party like Fine Gael

always where a just a bunch of incompetent shopkeepers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,549 ✭✭✭dubrov

Does anyone know who managed the broadband/hospital tenders?
    Do FG bring in their own people or is it run via the civil service?

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭1hnr79jr65

The mother of Tourism Minister and Fianna Failure deputy leader Mary Hanafin was paid €30,000 in compensation following a fall during a visit to Leinster House.

FYP

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Ah yes.

FF are the better option!!!

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.independent.ie/irish-news/30000-for-hanafin-mum-after-leinster-house-fall-26657826.html

The mother of Tourism Minister and Fianna Fail deputy leader Mary Hanafin was paid €30,000 in compensation following a fall during a visit to Leinster House.

The mother of an ex minister going back to 2011, is hardly comparable to present day TDs making questionable claims.....

Besides, noone said they're better, just that FG are every bit as bad.

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 790 ✭✭✭Sciprio

Look! No hands!

• Site Banned Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭sk8erboii

Her generation is truly a plague in this nation. They cant die sooner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

Sciprio wrote: »
    Look! No hands!

What's the difference between the chicken on the swing and Fine Gael TD Maria Bailey on a swing?

The fluckin' chicken is useful.

(and able to stay on the swing).

• Registered Users Posts: 11,284 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Just as I have the right to run across the M50 blindfold at rush hour if I want to.
    You certainly do not have that right, there are actually by-laws against that, she on the other hand is guilty of being an utter moron unfortunately nothing more.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

Sciprio wrote: »
    Look! No hands!

That's exactly the type of footage that should be shown on an R.T.E. cutting edge comedy show but no fear the Montrose clique will upset their paymasters ( using our money)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,020 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

squawker wrote: »
    nothing surprises me with a party like Fine Gael

always where a just a bunch of incompetent shopkeepers

Haha ha.

Do you know what happened the country in 2008?

And who was at the wheel at the time?

But back to this halfwit of a woman, she is starting to get a lot of flak on the radio etc, and it's making FG look bad.

I can see Leo telling her to knock the claim on the head.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭sullivlo

Doesn't matter it's in the public domain that she's a grasping moron.

If she was grasping there wouldn’t be a case :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement