Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XI (The Finals Countdown)

Options

Comments

Caption Contest:

1705898.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,284 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Caption Contest:

1705898.jpg

I may have fibbed about the beautiful people of Wexford

• Registered Users Posts: 5,906 ✭✭✭jacothelad

Caption Contest:

1705898.jpg

"Keep your hands on your wallets lads, look who's behind you."

• Registered Users Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Caption Contest:

1705898.jpg

"Here lads, you thought Johnny's contract was mental? Wait until you hear about that lad's pension"

• Registered Users Posts: 16,988 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Caption Contest:

1705898.jpg

"2.... 2 times three is.... plus.... and then 1 times 3 is.... I think Dublin are ahead, Scott, they look happier"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

So the Irish Times are reporting that Rob Kearney is holding out for a central contract.

While he's still our best FB by some distance, that's hard to justify for a 33-year old heading into a new world cup cycle.

So the Irish Times are reporting that Rob Kearney is holding out for a central contract.

While he's still our best FB by some distance, that's hard to justify for a 33-year old heading into a new world cup cycle.

I'd say he's probably looking at Sexton and his two year extension at the same age, with the same sort of line of succession (or lack of at the moment).

• Registered Users Posts: 24,176 ✭✭✭✭Buer

I admire his balls to push for it but it would be poor business. I suppose there's an argument to give him a 1 year deal on the basis of them having very few options to slot in. The poor showings of others in the green 15 jersey this season has strengthened his position.

To be honest, I wouldn't even advocate Leinster giving him a big money provincial deal. There's a strong possibility that he could still be involved with Ireland next season if still in the country and they could end up getting very little game time for their investment.

I don't see the IRFU being pushed around on this and they know they've time on their side. Kearney needs to take whatever deals are on the table from Leinster/IRFU or any available positions abroad are going to disappear rapidly as they complete their business.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,005 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Gordon D'Arcy talked about how the IRFU value you as your age goes up in one of his past articles, if what he experienced still holds true then Kearney is well past his peak in terms of perception of value from the IRFU. He shouldn't be given any huge contract at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

The article notes how the current offer is 'well below' what Kearney wants. Can see this ending in stalemate with him moving on to pastures new. And if the IRFU don't have it, I really can't see Leinster taking the slack on it.

If Larmour or Henshaw (or someone else) is the next long term 15, it makes sense to start playing him in Six Nations from next year rather than in three or four years time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

I don't see why the IRFU would offer him a contract. It doesn't make sense. He will not make the next WC after Japan so really Ireland should be looking at Larmour etc and give them a 4 year run into WC at 15.

His injury profile is not great, even he admitted he struggled to get a few games in a row for nearly 2 season.

I can't see IRFU changing their mind and I don't think they should

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,329 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    I don't see why the IRFU would offer him a contract. It doesn't make sense. He will not make the next WC after Japan so really Ireland should be looking at Larmour etc and give them a 4 year run into WC at 15.

Whatever about the reasons for not giving him a new contract, this is not a very good one. Lots of players won't make the next world cup and planning 4 years out is nonsensical in the extreme.

I wouldn't like to face into a final against New Zealand in Japan without Roberto Kearndashian in the 15 Jersey.

The IRFU should pay a decent wedge to park this conversation for 12 months and get Kearney through the WC window in a positive headspace.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Is there a potential bolter for the Leinster 15 jersey coming out of the academy? There will be 3-4 Pro14 games at the start of next season to have a look, plus Celtic Cup in September.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭dub_skav

Caption Contest:

1705898.jpg

"So, yeah, if I hadn't played rugby I'd probably be playing here"

"Really, Tadhg?"

The new Leinster jersey is up for pre-order at 75 quid. They have image of current jersey.

The Munster one is on pre-order at 80 but they have actually released.

Just wondering is this a small f**k up and could you preorder at 75 and Lifestyle will have to offer at that price, if it is released I would guess it will be same price as Munster

I wouldn't like to face into a final against New Zealand in Japan without Roberto Kearndashian in the 15 Jersey.

The IRFU should pay a decent wedge to park this conversation for 12 months and get Kearney through the WC window in a positive headspace.

He's contracted until the world cup, so he'll play if we get there and Joe wants him playing. A new contract now has no effect on that.

The new Leinster jersey is up for pre-order at 75 quid. They have image of current jersey.

Just wondering is this a small f**k up and could you preorder at 75 and Lifestyle will have to offer at that price, if it is released I would guess it will be same price as Munster

Good chance they'd just cancel the order if it is a mistake.

Even if Rob decides to leave he will be with IRFU until the end of WC. Same as SOB....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭kingofthekong

On current form that not likely to happen regardless of what happens with Robs contract

• Advertisement

On current form that not likely to happen regardless of what happens with Robs contract

Rob is still the best 15 in Ireland by a good bit.

Larmour needs a huge amount of time at 15 before he can be close to the standard of Rob and he is hardly going to get it before WC

Conway, little Mr Angry, I doubt he will even make the squad

Addison was an option but I think injury has knocked him out

Henshaw we need at 12

Who would you have at 15 on current form?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭kingofthekong

Larmour needs a huge amount of time at 15 before he can be close to the standard of Rob and he is hardly going to get it before WC

Henshaw we need at 12

I mean in relation to us making the final....not at Rob being the best at Fullback

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭antietam1

aloooof wrote: »
    Fair enough. Personally, I don't see the big deal, it was half a sentence about one permutation on the penultimate week of the season. He made plenty other points in the article emphasising that Munster just weren't good enough.

It's not just Thornley, all the Munster fans I know are coming out with the same
    rubbish.

He's contracted until the world cup, so he'll play if we get there and Joe wants him playing. A new contract now has no effect on that.

I'm aware of that - but reading between the lines I'm not sure he wants to leave Leinster. I'd sort him out for the year, let him focus on the World Cup and then decide his future during next season.

He's still the best 15 in Ireland by a margin, he is in a challenging position career wise. Sort him out and make this go away for 12 months when it's far less consequential and distracting.

Then try and get him to agree to a year in Munster just so I can have the best time of my life with the build up threads.

"Peter & Rob visit Bealnablath"

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Considering it is titled as 2018/19 it's safe to assume it's an error. They are also not going to release images of new kit before Leinster's last game of the season and potentially eat into selling of current stock, which is limited enough anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭baaba maal

Henshaw we need at 12

Carbery!

Id give Henshaw another run at 15 tbh to see if he can play there.

Long term it could mean that you have an Aki/Ringrose axis for Ireland and a COB/Ringrose pairing at Leinster. Larmour then fits into 14.

It's worth trying.

• Administrators Posts: 53,369 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Kearney has no leverage. He won't get a central deal.

He's old, he definitely won't make it to another world cup, he's no longer a guaranteed starter, and Ireland will be going through a bit of a transition next year anyway with the new coaching ticket. Bad time to be negotiating really, if he goes elsewhere post World Cup then so be it, if he wants one last big contract then he'll definitely get one in France.

awec wrote: »
    Kearney has no leverage. He won't get a central deal.

He's old, he definitely won't make it to another world cup, he's no longer a guaranteed starter, and Ireland will be going through a bit of a transition next year anyway with the new coaching ticket. Bad time to be negotiating really, if he goes elsewhere post World Cup then so be it, if he wants one last big contract then he'll definitely get one in France.

Where was this ruthlessness when Pienaar was being sent on his way...

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,369 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Where was this ruthlessness when Pienaar was being sent on his way...

Pienaar was never on a central deal. :)

Leinster should be entirely free to sign him up if they want.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement