Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XI (The Finals Countdown)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

• Registered Users Posts: 11,298 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Will be busy in Glasgow on Saturday with the Pro14 final on in Celtic Park as well as the Scottish Cup Final not far away in Hampden Park.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,335 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Will be busy in Glasgow on Saturday with the Pro14 final on in Celtic Park as well as the Scottish Cup Final not far away in Hampden Park.

Busy. That's a word for it alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,738 ✭✭✭degsie

Delighted, got a £60 seat for my £25 roulette ticket :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,708 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

The 42 says SoB is struggling to overcome a hip injury and may not play at the weekend. Rob Kearney was following the return to play protocols after getting a knock to his head against Saracens. He should be available for selection.

https://www.the42.ie/rob-kearney-sean-obrien-pro14-final-4644203-May2019/

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭ktulu123

On the Rob Kearney leaving thing. Before the match at the weekend he was out on the pitch in his no.1's kicking drop kicks and chatting to the lads etc. I don't think I can remember any of the non match day squad being out on the pitch before. To me it looked like he was taking it all in as it will be his last time on the RDS pitch :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,841 ✭✭✭Squatter

I see that Gerry "the Muppet" Thornley is parroting van Graan's whinge that Leinster deprived Munster of a home semi-final by losing to Glasgow in the RDS! Surely it's about time that Munster learned to do it for themselves and not be depending on the charity of their neighhbours?
    Van Graan has a point when highlighting that Munster won three more games in the Pro 14 this season than last. Their tally of 77 points would have been enough to top their Conference last season, and would have done so this season if Leinster had not lost at home to Glasgow.

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/pro14/gerry-thornley-munster-end-season-banging-off-glass-ceiling-1.3898806

Toner is out for 4-6 weeks. He'll miss the final but be fit for the World Cup warm ups. That's as much as we could have hoped for.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,600 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Its a perfectly acceptable problem with the league conference system. Whats even more hilarious is that Leinster have now double benefited by being seeded as the "second" Irish team and getting an arguably easier pool as a result.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Is Molony injured at the moment?

He's been recovering from a back injury, I'm not sure if he's back to full fitness yet but I guess we'll only find out with the next injury update.

He was 24th man on Saturday, did the full warm up, so he must be fit. Was an unused backup in Newcastle too.

• Advertisement

Squatter wrote: »
    I see that Gerry "the Muppet" Thornley is parroting van Graan's whinge that Leinster deprived Munster of a home semi-final by losing to Glasgow in the RDS! Surely it's about time that Munster learned to do it for themselves and not be depending on the charity of their neighhbours?

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/pro14/gerry-thornley-munster-end-season-banging-off-glass-ceiling-1.3898806

Munster getting spanked by the Blues and Glasgow in September had nothing to do with it so.

Healy has signed a two year contract extension with the IRFU.

He's playing the best rugby of his career right now. Richly deserved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Munster lost 5 games.....
    Glasgow A
    Cardiff A
    Leinster A
    Ulster A
    Scarlets A

All away. Ulster before Christmas, just before Connacht beat them and when Ulster was still dodgy. Should have been easy win

Scarlets have been sh*t since early on this season so should have won.

Cardiff, really!!!

So yes, it was Leinsters fault :p

I think we'll thump Glasgow at the weekend convincingly. They don't have a pack that can live with our unit of forwards and that will be the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

I mean that's similar to Liverpool saying "no team has ever come second before with over 90 points".

Tough shít, last season doesn't matter, they didn't perform well enough to finish higher than the other team in their conference.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,225 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Near 1000 word piece and you've picked out half a sentence to give out about.
    Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Munster lost 5 games.....
    Glasgow A
    Cardiff A
    Leinster A
    Ulster A
    Scarlets A

All away.

You're kinda proving his point:
    Gerry Thornley
    Given 20 of 22 semi-finals have been won by the home side, Munster might well have beaten Ulster in Thomond Park and thus be contesting next week’s final.
    Ulster before Christmas, just before Connacht beat them and when Ulster was still dodgy. Should have been easy win

I suggest looking at the line-ups. Also, wasn't that the game Balacoune should have gotten a red-card right from KO, and received a ban after?
    Scarlets have been sh*t since early on this season so should have won.

Scarlets beat Leinster in the 2nd week.
    Cardiff, really!!!

So yes, it was Leinsters fault :p

Leinster needed a 78 minute try and conversion to beat Cardiff.

These aren't the facile victories you're making them out to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,900 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

I nearly miss Munster being unbearably smug winners. This latest persona is just tragic.

aloooof wrote: »

You're kinda proving his point:

I suggest looking at the line-ups. Also, wasn't that the game Balacoune should have gotten a red-card right from KO, and received a ban after?

Scarlets beat Leinster in the 2nd week.

Leinster needed a 78 minute try and conversion to beat Cardiff.

These aren't the facile victories you're making them out to be.

I was replying to a post. The article is not available to most people including me as I dont have Irish Times account.

The point was made that a Leinster loss cost Munster. This is incorrect.

Not sure why you are comparing Leinster with Munster results, Leinster won their conference in second gear with the kids playing most of the season

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

I think we'll thump Glasgow at the weekend convincingly. They don't have a pack that can live with our unit of forwards and that will be the game.
    Our pack has had two hugely physical games in the last two weeks. Theirs had a week off and a gentle stroll in the park thanks to Ulster.

stephen_n wrote: »
    Our pack has had two hugely physical games in the last two weeks. Theirs had a week off and a gentle stroll in the park thanks to Ulster.

Last week the narrative was Leinster came off a hugely physical game v Saracens etc. The players are well rested in since 6n. That's not an issue

• Advertisement

I was replying to a post. The article is not available to most people including me as I dont have Irish Times account.

The point was made that a Leinster loss cost Munster. This is incorrect.

So you haven't read the article? It was literally half a sentence, much ado about nothing.
    Not sure why you are comparing Leinster with Munster results, Leinster won their conference in second gear with the kids playing most of the season

Because they're the benchmark. And the matches that you're suggesting should've been easy, routine wins for Munster either Leinster also lost or just got over the line.

Finally, we're getting somewhere! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,841 ✭✭✭Squatter

Yes I have.

And if you composed and posted a 1,000 word article and "half a sentence" in it was pure crap, then I'd do exactly the same thing to you.

Yes I have.

And if you composed and posted a 1,000 word article and "half a sentence" in it was pure crap, then I'd do exactly the same thing to you.

Fair enough. Personally, I don't see the big deal, it was half a sentence about one permutation on the penultimate week of the season. He made plenty other points in the article emphasising that Munster just weren't good enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭how.gareth

Fair enough. Personally, I don't see the big deal, it was half a sentence about one permutation on the penultimate week of the season. He made plenty other points in the article emphasising that Munster just weren't good enough.

Jeez Gerry your awful tetchy today!

So you haven't read the article? It was literally half a sentence, much ado about nothing.

Because they're the benchmark. And the matches that you're suggesting should've been easy, routine wins for Munster either Leinster also lost or just got over the line.

It's a Leinster thread, part of the discussion will be around Leinster....

Gerry is on Second Captains, you should listen to it.....will make you feel better.....

Looks at the two teams. Not sure why you would want to benchmark. This was the team against Cardiff which was played away within a month of each other

Leinster: D Kearney; A Byrne, R O'Loughlin, J Tomane, B Daly; R Byrne, L McGrath; P Dooley, J Tracy, M Bent. R Moloney, S Fardy, J Murphy, R Ruddock, C Doris.

Munster

JJ Hanrahan; Andrew Conway, Jaco Taute (Shane Daly, 60), Rory Scannell, Darren Sweetnam; Joey Carbery, Duncan Williams; James Cronin (Dave Kilcoyne, 55), Mike Sherry (Diarmuid Barron, 75), Stephen Archer (Brian Scott, 75); Jean Kleyn (Darren O’Shea, 75), Tadhg Beirne; Peter O’Mahony (C), Chris Cloete, CJ Stander (Tommy O’Donnell, 65)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭KBurke85

• Registered Users Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭troyzer

KBurke85 wrote: »

Penny already promoted to the senior squad?

Has that ever happened before? He did his leaving cert less than a year ago.....

KBurke85 wrote: »

Rob not listed as retained or leaving......

• Advertisement

Rob not listed as retained or leaving......

Schrodinger's Kearney.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement