Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XI (The Finals Countdown)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,009 ✭✭✭joseywhales

Clegg wrote: »
    15. Rob Kearney (209)
    14. Jordan Larmour (38)
    13. Garry Ringrose (64)
    12. Robbie Henshaw (36)
    11. James Lowe (29)
    10. Johnny Sexton (159) CAPTAIN
    9. Luke McGrath (112)
    1. Cian Healy (207)
    2. Seán Cronin (172)
    3. Tadhg Furlong (101)
    4. Scott Fardy (43)
    5. James Ryan (30)
    6. Rhys Ruddock (160)
    7. Josh van der Flier (72)
    8. Jack Conan (88)

16. Bryan Byrne (41)
    17. Ed Byrne (44)
    18. Andrew Porter (52)
    19. Ross Molony (81)
    20. Max Deegan (45)
    21. Nick McCarthy (35)
    22. Ross Byrne (70)
    23. Rory O’Loughlin (61)

No Sean O'Brien swansong but in fairness, he hasn't been good enough for selection.

Hip injury

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

No Sean O'Brien swansong but in fairness, he hasn't been good enough for selection.

It was posted he still has an injury

Based on recent performance he would have been at least on bench

• Registered Users Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Hip injury

Thanks, I didn't know.

Saw this which is odd.

https://twitter.com/RuaidhriOC/status/1131900808365334528?s=19

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Not one person on that bench was remotely in contention for a starting jersey.

We have depth issues...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭troyzer

troyzer wrote: »
    I think you're missing the point that Leinster would have signed off on this.

It was a **** up but Leinster share equal blame.

Well if Leinster had an equal share, then yes share it.

But if it was down to Adidas, then it was a disgrace.

We'll never know.

We do know. Leinster would have had to sign off on it.

It's always the way. Having said that, it's clear that Adidas may have required a longer lead time than Leinster were used to and felt like they were forced to make a decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,960 ✭✭✭AbusesToilets

We have depth issues...

I don't think so tbh. I think the young lads in the backrow will be pushing hard for starting berths next season. RK leaving is going to open up a couple of spots in the backs as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,009 ✭✭✭joseywhales

Man people really want him gone eh? I sense the anger everytime the coaching staff select him to start for Ireland or leinster now and the subsequent conclusion that he just isn't good enough everytime he misses a game through injury, people purposely ignoring facts to stick the knife in. Maybe it's just a phase a lot of players have to go through with the fans at the end of their career. It's like some kind of propaganda campaign.

Yet when he is fit he gets game time in the biggest games, [sarcasm] I guess the coaches of both camps are known for their willingness to hand out caps for the sake of nostalgia. [\sarcasm]

We have depth issues...

It's one of the strongest first teams in club rugby.....

I think the question is more would the players on the bench start in other teams and majority would.....

I don't think so tbh. I think the young lads in the backrow will be pushing hard for starting berths next season. RK leaving is going to open up a couple of spots in the backs as well.

RK leaving opens up a spot; it doesn't make the contenders any better. If he leaves, we have less depth, not more.

The backrow likewise; SOB leaving and the whispers about the extent of Leavy's injury leave a massive hole that can't be filled short term.

• Advertisement

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    It's one of the strongest first teams in club rugby.....

I think the question is more would the players on the bench start in other teams and majority would.....

That's a totally different question.

Do we want to be as good as most other teams or do we want to continue to be one of the best?

That's a totally different question.

Do we want to be as good as most other teams or do we want to continue to be one of the best?

We are one of the best, the players on the bench are strong players and would start in any other team in World....

I am not sure what your point is? Byrne would start only he has current World player of the year in front of him....

Bit light on hooker but a strong bench. Next year JGP will be on bench so that would strenghten it up....SOB missing, toner missing, Tomane etc....Not sure what you want?

RK leaving opens up a spot; it doesn't make the contenders any better. If he leaves, we have less depth, not more.

The backrow likewise; SOB leaving and the whispers about the extent of Leavy's injury leave a massive hole that can't be filled short term.

Anyone whispering about Leavy injury really should grow up and get a life....

No idea why you would even want to post about it....

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

We have depth issues...

It's quite startling. Not a lot of impact off the bench if it's needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭antietam1

kevyg wrote: »
    Is the game on Saturday clashing with any other big sporting events. On my hols in the canaries and if there is spud ball or footie on it can be hard to find a TV that's showing it.

Are you in Lanzarote? O'Reillys or Tequila in Puerto del Carmen will have it regardless of what's on.

Zzippy wrote: »

Porter, Deegan and Byrne can have an impact. I would say ROL as well against a tired team. Still unsure about the Byrne boys at this level......

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,225 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

We are one of the best, the players on the bench are strong players and would start in any other team in World....

I think you're overestimating at least some of the bench here, to put it mildly.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Nagle to Zebre finally announced by Zebre on twitter.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,176 ✭✭✭✭Buer

The depth question is completely valid. It does need to take into consideration the injuries to guys like Leavy, Toner, SOB as well as the foreign player situation regarding JGP.

A bench with those lads on it would be considerably stronger. But there's no debate whether the squad is now weaker than it was a year ago though.

It will be interesting to see how players develop and those gaps could close rapidly. Guys can really step up to another level unexpectedly. VDF was pushing 23 by the time he made his Champions Cup debut. From watching him at U20 level, I never thought he would be the player he has become. Nor did anyone see Devin Toner being a critical player for Ireland and Leinster even at the age of 25 or 26.

I think there are some guys on that bench who will never hit real heights and be undoubted first choice players for us (ROL, Brian Byrne, McCarthy even if he was staying) but there are others like Ed Byrne and Molony who look to me like guys that have another gear and are starting to find it.
    We are one of the best, the players on the bench are strong players andwould start in any other team in World....

Yeah, that's just nonsense though.

aloooof wrote: »

I think you're overestimating at least some of the bench here, to put it mildly.

Think of the bench players who'd start for Glasgow then.

Definitely Porter, Ross Byrne and Max Deegan. Possibly Moloney and Ed Byrne as well.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,225 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Definitely Porter, Ross Byrne and Max Deegan. Possibly Moloney and Ed Byrne as well.

What you're saying is that some would start in a specific other team.

The implication was that all would start in any other team in the world. That's just not true.

aloooof wrote: »

What you're saying is that some would start in a specific other team.

The implication was that all would start in any other team in the world. That's just not true.

Well I wouldn't claim that. It's a ludicrous assertion.

But I think the bench is stronger than people give it credit for. These are the top performers who sealed conference B in record time, the same players battering everyone else while the top dogs were in Ireland camp. They're no slouches.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Porter wouldn't start over Zander Fagerson, Cummings is arguably a better prospect than Molony and been in Scottish international camps, Ed Byrne definitely would not be even close to starting over Bhatti.

Zzippy wrote: »

And that lack of impact killed us against Saracens.

None of the backline subs made it on to the pitch. Deegan is regarded as the Messiah on here but he got less than five minutes IIRC. Things started to go badly and we didn't have the players to respond.

They're not bad players and these things are always cyclical, but we're in a downward phase at the moment.

We do know. Leinster would have had to sign off on it.

It's always the way. Having said that, it's clear that Adidas may have required a longer lead time than Leinster were used to and felt like they were forced to make a decision.

Unless you work there, you 100% don't know all the facts, nor do I.

Whether it was an oversight, bad management, whatever, it was a disgrace to sell a jersey at full price with an obvious error/oversight/design flaw on it.

Byrne likely wouldn't start over Hastings but maybe a toss up, Porter on his best form might challenge Bhatti but not now and the rest would certainly not walk into the starting team.

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭guapos

Would anyone know when the pro 14 and Champions cup start next season? Thanks

guapos wrote: »
    Would anyone know when the pro 14 and Champions cup start next season? Thanks

Friday 27th September for the Pro14.

Weekend of 15 November for Heineken Champions Cup.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,383 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

SOB leaving won't be felt on the pitch, he barely plays for Leinster and has had 1 game of note this season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,140 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Should be a cracking game. Glasgow will be well up for it. Hopefully we get the win.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement