Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Thread 4.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,708 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

They really needed Jon Connington and Young Griff in the show.
    Griff is the son of Rhaegar Targaryan, so along with Denaerys and Jon he's another with a claim to the throne. In book 5 he and the Golden Company make war on Storms End and it's presumed he'll march to Kings Landing to take the throne. Dany is still in Essos and presumably by the time she gets to Westeros, Griff is King and loved by the city as he freed them from the Lannisters. Then you have her seen for the first time as a conquerer rather than a liberator. Easier to them write a descent into madness that way. She's there thinking she'll save everyone, but they hate her for it. Makes for a better snap moment than MIssandei's beheading and the bells going off. And you don't waste an entire season on Cersei drinking wine in the Red Keep and doing absolutely nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,021 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

bilston wrote: »

On the one hand Jon's ending was bittersweet which was in keeping with his life so fair enough, but it was still pretty unfulfilling. I was hoping against hope that at the end when Jon and the Wildlings went north of the wall that they were going to come across Whitewalkers!
    Well there's no guarantee that the white walkers are gone for good. Remember the wall was built after they were defeated the last time. And back they came.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,474 ✭✭✭swiwi_

Not sure if anyone a fan of F1 in the good ol’ days but RIP Niki Lauda

• Registered Users Posts: 12,600 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

His injury comeback is for me the greatest of all time.

errlloyd wrote: »
    His injury comeback is for me the greatest of all time.

Until Josh VDF...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,176 ✭✭✭✭Buer

On the final episode, I'm relatively happy with how things ended up. A major show like this is always going to divide opinion on the basis of how the characters end up when the credits roll. Sopranos and The Wire both did. I think Breaking Bad is the only major show of the last 15-20 years with massive hype that finished exceptionally well.

But....
    That doesn't mean the final episode didn't have the same issues that have plagued the show all season. There was still a sense of sloppy plot to just wrap things up. Greyworm wants to execute Tyrion and Jon. He is happy to wait several weeks though rather than slitting Jon's throat on the spot which would be the expected response. Then he's happy just to sit there and let the lords of Westeros decide on a king who frees Tyrion and Jon before sailing off into the sunset.

Aside from that, Sansa just decides on the spot that the north will secede from the realm and be independent. Yeah, cool. No bother. She'll be queen too, by the way. Then any peripheral character will be invited to sit at the small council to wrap them all up neatly in one quick scene.

I thought the first 30 minutes or so was back to the older style. Methodical, good acting and script. Everything up to Daenerys death was really good. Everything beyond that was trying to wrap the stories of every character up hurriedly.

My preference would have been Jon choosing the wall for himself at his own Trial. It seems ridiculous that the Lords of Westeros who owe him absolutely everything are willing to sentence him to a lifetime at the wall as a "compromise" with a group of unsullied they don't know. Like surely there are characters who owe their lives to Jon Snow. Lives have been risked breaking people out of prison for less. It just seems so ungrateful.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Can anyone recommend a pair of wired earphones around the €20 mark? I'm luckless with them, one earphone seems to break after a few weeks.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

My favourite wired earphones are the ones that come with the iphone. Don't own an iphone, but the missus has had a few and I use a pair from those.

You'd possibly pick up an unused pair second hand as a lot of iphone users buy the airpods with their phones.

On that note, I've ordered myself an early birthday present in these lads. Can't go too far wrong at 100 off - https://www.currys.ie/ieen/audio-and-headphones/headphones/headphones/sony-wh-1000xm3-wireless-bluetooth-noise-cancelling-headphones-black-10184616-pdt.html

Can anyone recommend a pair of wired earphones around the €20 mark? I'm luckless with them, one earphone seems to break after a few weeks.
    In D4 and all - https://www.adverts.ie/headphones-earphones/apple-iphone-headphones-new-unopened/17049635

• Advertisement

dregin wrote: »
    On that note, I've ordered myself an early birthday present in these lads. Can't go too far wrong at 100 off - https://www.currys.ie/ieen/audio-and-headphones/headphones/headphones/sony-wh-1000xm3-wireless-bluetooth-noise-cancelling-headphones-black-10184616-pdt.html

I picked up the previous Gen of them (fairly similar) for a great price a little while ago. I'd say I wear them 7-10 hours per day. Calls, Music, TV if it's late. They're incredible.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

I assume those Apple earphones will work on an Android?

The volume buttons on the inline cord probably won't. But the mic and the earphones will.

That's what I use em with.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,225 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

The newer one come with the lightning connector, whereas the old ones have the regular jack. Just make sure you get the latter if you're looking to use them on an Android.

It's one of my pet hates; I used to be able to change my phone and listen to the headphones at the same time whereas now I can't.

Copy of the latest episode of Chernobyl online last night and stupidly watched it before bed.

That is one seriously grim show. The bureaucracy and fear behind the state, the indifference to the unfolding calamity and the impact on those on site at the outset of the disaster is sickening.

Take away the disaster and it's a chilling insight into the Soviet Union, but watching and realising how close Eastern Europe was to complete catastrophe is unnerving.

Copy of the latest episode of Chernobyl online last night and stupidly watched it before bed.

That is one seriously grim show. The bureaucracy and fear behind the state, the indifference to the unfolding calamity and the impact on those on site at the outset of the disaster is sickening.

Take away the disaster and it's a chilling insight into the Soviet Union, but watching and realising how close Eastern Europe was to complete catastrophe is unnerving.

Is episode 3 grimmer than episode 1?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭Mr Tickle

of course that's how the western propeganda media would portray it :pac:

errlloyd wrote: »
    Is episode 3 grimmer than episode 1?
    Yes.

dregin wrote: »
    My favourite wired earphones are the ones that come with the iphone. Don't own an iphone, but the missus has had a few and I use a pair from those.

You'd possibly pick up an unused pair second hand as a lot of iphone users buy the airpods with their phones.

I’ve got the Bose equivalent. There’s quite a lot of debate online about which is better. I really like the Bose my only minor complaint is that the battery life could be a tad longer. I’d be open to Sony though.

• Advertisement

Mr Tickle wrote: »
    of course that's how the western propeganda media would portray it :pac:

I listened to a podcast about the show which included the writers and show runners and they detailed how they gathered information and from whom. As much as you can question everything if you wish, it appears that much of the content is accurate and verifiable.

There are fictional elements also, but tapes from the start actually exist and the collapse of the soviet union swiftened the release of previously controlled information.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭Mr Tickle

I listened to a podcast about the show which included the writers and show runners and they detailed how they gathered information and from whom. As much as you can question everything if you wish, it appears that much of the content is accurate and verifiable.

There are fictional elements also, but tapes from the start actually exist and the collapse of the soviet union swiftened the release of previously controlled information.

all part of the conspiracy you see.

What's the podcast if you don't mind? I'll give you a discount on a tinfoil hat in exchange

Mr Tickle wrote: »
    all part of the conspiracy you see.

What's the podcast if you don't mind? I'll give you a discount on a tinfoil hat in exchange

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUeHPCYtWYQ

Here is the first part - they touch on sources in all the episodes and highlight the fictional and non fictional elements.

LOL. UK potentially heading for a second Brexit vote. Unimaginable that this sort of thing would happen in Ireland :D

• Registered Users Posts: 16,988 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

swiwi_ wrote: »
    Not sure if anyone a fan of F1 in the good ol’ days but RIP Niki Lauda

Fascinating guy. I saw a documentary a while ago on him. If I recall the story correctly, he owned a commercial airline and one of their 767 planes crashed into a jungle somewhere in South East Asia. The initial cause of the crash was attributed to pilot error, as the flight data showed the plane was intentionally put into a nose-dive. But Lauda refused to accept that his pilot had screwed up, flew out to the crash site, and funded both a search through the jungle for various parts of missing wreckage, and also various additional tests on flight simulators.

Turns out, that 767s had a gizmo on the engine that reversed the thrust to slow it down on landings. The instruction to pilots, should this ever accidentally reverse mid-air, was exactly what the pilot had done - put it into a nose-dive to regather velocity. But Lauda's research showed that this instruction was only tested up to a certain altitude, and beyond this altitude, it would result in a crash. The planes were consequently redesigned.

Probably would have taken another crash before Boeing had copped onto this, so a conservative estimate is that he saved hundreds of lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,021 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

swiwi_ wrote: »
    LOL. UK potentially heading for a second Brexit vote. Unimaginable that this sort of thing would happen in Ireland :D
    I doubt it very much. It's so couched in ifs and buts and built on the quicksand of Theresa May's ever diminishing term as PM that you could safely bet against it ever happening.

• Administrators Posts: 53,369 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Discussion of politics is against the charter.

Neil3030 wrote: »
    Fascinating guy. I saw a documentary a while ago on him. If I recall the story correctly, he owned a commercial airline and one of their 767 planes crashed into a jungle somewhere in South East Asia. The initial cause of the crash was attributed to pilot error, as the flight data showed the plane was intentionally put into a nose-dive. But Lauda refused to accept that his pilot had screwed up, flew out to the crash site, and funded both a search through the jungle for various parts of missing wreckage, and also various additional tests on flight simulators.

Turns out, that 767s had a gizmo on the engine that reversed the thrust to slow it down on landings. The instruction to pilots, should this ever accidentally reverse mid-air, was exactly what the pilot had done - put it into a nose-dive to regather velocity. But Lauda's research showed that this instruction was only tested up to a certain altitude, and beyond this altitude, it would result in a crash. The planes were consequently redesigned.

Probably would have taken another crash before Boeing had copped onto this, so a conservative estimate is that he saved hundreds of lives.

The film was decent too, the Hunt vs Lauda rivalry.

Obviously I'm happy that safety is paramount these days, but it does make the racing more sanitised and less interesting.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,021 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

awec wrote: »

At this stage is more an ongoing comedy....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Erik Shun

awec wrote: »

We've been discussing the politics of Westeros for the last 6 weeks nonstop!

:D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement