Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Red ribbons on trees

Options
  • 18-05-2019 11:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 934 ✭✭✭

Noticed a red ribbon on each of the trees from Merrion shopping centre to the RDS in Dublin, with signs (I think) saying "save our trees" on them.

What's this about? Surely it can't be to do with the Bus Connects plan as there's already a bus lane that whole route. While the traffic in that area can get gridlocked, that's to do with the number of junctions are on that road... how would cutting down trees help with any of that?

Or maybe there's just a lot of DragonBall fans and I've picked it up wrong...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Daveq

Noticed it too. There's a sign on some of them that says all of them marked with a red ribbon are due to be felled.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,903 ✭✭✭circadian

Who isn't a DragonBall fan??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

Are they old oak trees by any chance?

Ohh I read about this back in primary school

A young farmer captured a Leprechaun and shouted 'Give me your gold!'. The Leprechaun said that the gold was hidden beneath a certain tree and pointed, 'that one'. The farmer tied a red ribbon around the tree & after making the Leprechaun promise not to remove the ribbon he skipped home to get a shovel. But when the farmer returned he found that the Leprechaun had tied a red ribbon around every tree.

That's what has happened here. 100% fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

They're being wrapped around trees that are along the new Bus Connects routes and that may or may not be cut down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,576 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

I say save the trees. Don't let them be cut down. Lets chain ourselves to them. Who's with me?

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,261 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Ohh I read about this back in primary school

A young farmer captured a Leprechaun and shouted 'Give me your gold!'. The Leprechaun said that the gold was hidden beneath a certain tree and pointed, 'that one'. The farmer tied a red ribbon around the tree & after making the Leprechaun promise not to remove the ribbon he skipped home to get a shovel. But when the farmer returned he found that the Leprechaun had tied a red ribbon around every tree.

That's what has happened here. 100% fact.

It's a well documented fact that farmers carry a shovel with them AT ALL TIMES

Myth busted :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Noticed a red ribbon on each of the trees from Merrion shopping centre to the RDS in Dublin, with signs (I think) saying "save our trees" on them.

What's this about? Surely it can't be to do with the Bus Connects plan as there's already a bus lane that whole route. While the traffic in that area can get gridlocked, that's to do with the number of junctions are on that road... how would cutting down trees help with any of that?

Or maybe there's just a lot of DragonBall fans and I've picked it up wrong...

Its to say they don't like the bus connects plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Red ribbons = save the trees from almost certain death!

Anyone remember people chaining themselves up in the trees at the Glen of the Downs?

The trees/protesters lost that battle :(

• Registered Users Posts: 18,877 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

We can always plant more trees. We can't keep pushing Dublin out, which removes more land from nature(ish), and we need proper public transport so people have a viable alternative to the car but our roads aren't big enough to accommodate buses. So we either remove a few trees and encourage public transport or like the metro let a vocal minority destroy the benefit for many.

But yeah we'll end up saving a few trees by creating loads of pollution elsewhere.

• Advertisement

Did you know that trees have birthdays :) ??

They don't deserve to be murdered.

[HTML][/HTML]
    They don't deserve to be murdered.

Poor Trees! :(

I hope they don't hurt any cherry blossoms ..they are my favs!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Bus corridor.

Del2005 wrote: »
    We can always plant more trees. We can't keep pushing Dublin out, which removes more land from nature(ish), and we need proper public transport so people have a viable alternative to the car but our roads aren't big enough to accommodate buses. So we either remove a few trees and encourage public transport or like the metro let a vocal minority destroy the benefit for many.

But yeah we'll end up saving a few trees by creating loads of pollution elsewhere.
    I hope the irony is not lost on the activists trying to save their property values environment

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

What Dublin needs is more rickshaws, no need of bus lanes and powered by renewable energy. :)

What Dublin needs is more rickshaws, no need of bus lanes and powered by renewable energy. :)
    Drug dealers are not a renewable source of energy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

The area will look less vibrant without so many trees.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,396 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

It might be a 5G protest too, perhaps the red ribbons signify its against Vodafone.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭NSAman

Dublin should get a monorail instead of bus corridors..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Bus Connects plan as there's already a bus lane that whole route. While the traffic in that area can get gridlocked, that's to do with the number of junctions are on that road... how would cutting down trees help with any of that?

Here's the thing the NTA and the transport anoraks have repeatedly refused to admit, they're not cutting down trees and widening roads for bus lanes, most of Dublins roads already have bus lanes, they're doing it to add bike lanes

Of course they'd never get away with it if they admitted that, hence the bus bull**** ;)

Trees produce the oxygen that we breathe....

• Registered Users Posts: 934 ✭✭✭OneOfThem Stumbled

On the stretch of road I've mentioned widening the road won't make any impact on buses. There is already a bus lane. Traffic is slow on this stretch due to the number of junctions.

There isn't some magic algorithm whereby less trees = faster public transport. That's like saying that painting stripes on a car makes it go faster.

I totally understand that you can't make omelettes without breaking eggs, but that doesn't mean that How To Basic is very good at making omelettes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Ire has the lowest % of decent tree coverage all significant European states, and the gov even missed their own recommended planting targets.
    Green 'mergency me hole (Only the 2nd country in the world to do so). Just get planting (broadleaf, not those spruce non-native yokes).

https://www.irishtimes.com/culture/heritage/native-trees-cover-just-2-of-ireland-how-can-this-be-increased-1.3553824

On the stretch of road I've mentioned widening the road won't make any impact on buses.
    Is there a dedicated cycle lane there?

I've cycled along there a few times, but I can't remember a dedicated lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

It's a well documented fact that farmers carry a shovel with them AT ALL TIMES

Myth busted :cool:
    It may or may not be a well documented fact that farmers carry a shovel with them at all times, but such an implement is used moving loose substance, i.e. shoveling, not digging.

The farmer in the story, perhaps with shovel in hand, would have had to rush home to fetch a spade.

Myth reopened :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,877 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Is there a dedicated cycle lane there?

I've cycled along there a few times, but I can't remember a dedicated lane.

Dedicated cycle lanes, wider footpaths, bus lanes and restricted car flow. But yes its the trees that they want to save.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

If the trees are so important, they can take space off cars instead for public transport.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,289 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

We can always plant more trees.

Problem is the trees being planted are Christmas trees, lines upon lines of them.

Advertisement