Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Red ribbons on trees

• 18-05-2019 11:31am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 934 ✭✭✭

Noticed a red ribbon on each of the trees from Merrion shopping centre to the RDS in Dublin, with signs (I think) saying "save our trees" on them.

What's this about? Surely it can't be to do with the Bus Connects plan as there's already a bus lane that whole route. While the traffic in that area can get gridlocked, that's to do with the number of junctions are on that road... how would cutting down trees help with any of that?

Or maybe there's just a lot of DragonBall fans and I've picked it up wrong...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 181 ✭✭Daveq

Noticed it too. There's a sign on some of them that says all of them marked with a red ribbon are due to be felled.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,036 ✭✭✭circadian

Who isn't a DragonBall fan??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

Are they old oak trees by any chance?

Ohh I read about this back in primary school

A young farmer captured a Leprechaun and shouted 'Give me your gold!'. The Leprechaun said that the gold was hidden beneath a certain tree and pointed, 'that one'. The farmer tied a red ribbon around the tree & after making the Leprechaun promise not to remove the ribbon he skipped home to get a shovel. But when the farmer returned he found that the Leprechaun had tied a red ribbon around every tree.

That's what has happened here. 100% fact.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

They're being wrapped around trees that are along the new Bus Connects routes and that may or may not be cut down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,297 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

I say save the trees. Don't let them be cut down. Lets chain ourselves to them. Who's with me?

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,063 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Ohh I read about this back in primary school

A young farmer captured a Leprechaun and shouted 'Give me your gold!'. The Leprechaun said that the gold was hidden beneath a certain tree and pointed, 'that one'. The farmer tied a red ribbon around the tree & after making the Leprechaun promise not to remove the ribbon he skipped home to get a shovel. But when the farmer returned he found that the Leprechaun had tied a red ribbon around every tree.

That's what has happened here. 100% fact.

It's a well documented fact that farmers carry a shovel with them AT ALL TIMES

Myth busted :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,202 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Noticed a red ribbon on each of the trees from Merrion shopping centre to the RDS in Dublin, with signs (I think) saying "save our trees" on them.

What's this about? Surely it can't be to do with the Bus Connects plan as there's already a bus lane that whole route. While the traffic in that area can get gridlocked, that's to do with the number of junctions are on that road... how would cutting down trees help with any of that?

Or maybe there's just a lot of DragonBall fans and I've picked it up wrong...

Its to say they don't like the bus connects plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Red ribbons = save the trees from almost certain death!

Anyone remember people chaining themselves up in the trees at the Glen of the Downs?

The trees/protesters lost that battle :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

We can always plant more trees. We can't keep pushing Dublin out, which removes more land from nature(ish), and we need proper public transport so people have a viable alternative to the car but our roads aren't big enough to accommodate buses. So we either remove a few trees and encourage public transport or like the metro let a vocal minority destroy the benefit for many.

But yeah we'll end up saving a few trees by creating loads of pollution elsewhere.

• Advertisement

Did you know that trees have birthdays :) ??

They don't deserve to be murdered.

[HTML][/HTML]
    They don't deserve to be murdered.

Poor Trees! :(

I hope they don't hurt any cherry blossoms ..they are my favs!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,499 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Bus corridor.

Del2005 wrote: »
    We can always plant more trees. We can't keep pushing Dublin out, which removes more land from nature(ish), and we need proper public transport so people have a viable alternative to the car but our roads aren't big enough to accommodate buses. So we either remove a few trees and encourage public transport or like the metro let a vocal minority destroy the benefit for many.

But yeah we'll end up saving a few trees by creating loads of pollution elsewhere.
    I hope the irony is not lost on the activists trying to save their property values environment

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

What Dublin needs is more rickshaws, no need of bus lanes and powered by renewable energy. :)

What Dublin needs is more rickshaws, no need of bus lanes and powered by renewable energy. :)
    Drug dealers are not a renewable source of energy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,275 ✭✭✭Your Face

The area will look less vibrant without so many trees.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,641 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

It might be a 5G protest too, perhaps the red ribbons signify its against Vodafone.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭NSAman

Dublin should get a monorail instead of bus corridors..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Bus Connects plan as there's already a bus lane that whole route. While the traffic in that area can get gridlocked, that's to do with the number of junctions are on that road... how would cutting down trees help with any of that?

Here's the thing the NTA and the transport anoraks have repeatedly refused to admit, they're not cutting down trees and widening roads for bus lanes, most of Dublins roads already have bus lanes, they're doing it to add bike lanes

Of course they'd never get away with it if they admitted that, hence the bus bull**** ;)

Trees produce the oxygen that we breathe....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 934 ✭✭✭OneOfThem Stumbled

On the stretch of road I've mentioned widening the road won't make any impact on buses. There is already a bus lane. Traffic is slow on this stretch due to the number of junctions.

There isn't some magic algorithm whereby less trees = faster public transport. That's like saying that painting stripes on a car makes it go faster.

I totally understand that you can't make omelettes without breaking eggs, but that doesn't mean that How To Basic is very good at making omelettes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Ire has the lowest % of decent tree coverage all significant European states, and the gov even missed their own recommended planting targets.
    Green 'mergency me hole (Only the 2nd country in the world to do so). Just get planting (broadleaf, not those spruce non-native yokes).

https://www.irishtimes.com/culture/heritage/native-trees-cover-just-2-of-ireland-how-can-this-be-increased-1.3553824

On the stretch of road I've mentioned widening the road won't make any impact on buses.
    Is there a dedicated cycle lane there?

I've cycled along there a few times, but I can't remember a dedicated lane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

It's a well documented fact that farmers carry a shovel with them AT ALL TIMES

Myth busted :cool:
    It may or may not be a well documented fact that farmers carry a shovel with them at all times, but such an implement is used moving loose substance, i.e. shoveling, not digging.

The farmer in the story, perhaps with shovel in hand, would have had to rush home to fetch a spade.

Myth reopened :cool:

Is there a dedicated cycle lane there?

I've cycled along there a few times, but I can't remember a dedicated lane.

Dedicated cycle lanes, wider footpaths, bus lanes and restricted car flow. But yes its the trees that they want to save.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

If the trees are so important, they can take space off cars instead for public transport.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,509 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

We can always plant more trees.

Problem is the trees being planted are Christmas trees, lines upon lines of them.

kowloon wrote: »
    Problem is the trees being planted are Christmas trees, lines upon lines of them.

That's a different problem, but a forest of them is better than a housing estate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,457 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

That's a different problem, but a forest of them is better than a housing estate.

Well actually some of those spruce forests are like a biological wasteland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,633 ✭✭✭prunudo

Dedicated cycle lanes, wider footpaths, bus lanes and restricted car flow. But yes its the trees that they want to save.

A lot of people seem to miss this point. Bus connects is far more than better bus lanes. A bit like with Metrolink the NTA need to employ better pr people.
    Instead of the media reporting on the positive effects of these large public transport projects we get reports with loose facts about people tying ribbons around trees and 4yr Luas closures. All for the benefit of some connected residents who have no consideration for the rest of the public who must pass their houses to get to work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

The UN declares a climate emergency a month ago. even Irelands dud government declares a biodiversity emergency and not two weeks later they want to cut 800 trees in Shankhill (is that old forest in Irish) and hundreds of mature trees that took decades to grow in the southside for a temporary bus lane to be possibly replaced with pencil thin saplings in some areas only.

The slumification of our country continues.

Our children will not know what a mature tree looks like nor why were were so apothetic in the destruction of ourplanet.

Meanwhile diesel guzzling buses gain 5 minutes speed for government apathy & commercial greed.

Yet in third world slums & the likes of Korea and China where they have decimated their environment theyhave the army and volunteers out planting milluons of trees for future generations & to try and reverse the damage they have done.

You couldn't make it up.

Knacker Ireland -greedfirst.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I mean you can be against the concept of the Bus Connects corridor and the specifics of the plan but you're barking up the wrong tree if you think that the 'biodiversity emergency' is the angle to take. The whole purpose of the plan is to convince people to switch from cars to buses for their commute.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

You missed the part where our wildlife is being mulched for spurious 'health & safety' excuses and many of our everyday nesting birds are on red extinction lists, where 47 Irish environmental agencies got together to warn of yhe imminent extinction of most species of Irish bees leading to a pollination and biodiversity crisis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Thrashssacre

The UN declares a climate emergency a month ago. even Irelands dud government declares a biodiversity emergency and not two weeks later they want to cut 800 trees in Shankhill (is that old forest in Irish) and hundreds of mature trees that took decades to grow in the southside for a temporary bus lane to be possibly replaced with pencil thin saplings in some areas only.

The slumification of our country continues.

Our children will not know what a mature tree looks like nor why were were so apothetic in the destruction of ourplanet.

Meanwhile diesel guzzling buses gain 5 minutes speed for government apathy & commercial greed.

Yet in third world slums & the likes of Korea and China where they have decimated their environment theyhave the army and volunteers out planting milluons of trees for future generations & to try and reverse the damage they have done.

You couldn't make it up.

Knacker Ireland -greedfirst.

You mean the diesel guzzling busses that pollute less then Cars and which Dublin bus have committed to buying no more of (only hybrids or fully electric now)

There’s nothing greedy about wanting to make commutes of less then 20kms a bit less hellish and letting workers spend a bit more time with their families

The outrage culture in this day and age is ridiculous.

You mean the diesel guzzling busses that pollute less then Cars and which Dublin bus have committed to buying no more of (only hybrids or fully electric now)

There’s nothing greedy about wanting to make commutes of less then 20kms a bit less hellish and letting works spend a bit more time with their families

The outrage culture in this day and age is ridiculous.

In the circumstances that losing trees actually made a substantial benefit to public transport there is a debate to be had. In the particular location I'm talking about I fail to see how public transport could really benefit in any way. Another poster says that it's not for public transport, but bike lanes. While bike lanes are all well and good, there would probably be better routes to be had for such endeavours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Dublin already has bus lanes, poorly enforced ones and post bus connects we will still have overcrowded buses. People pick car ownership because they are the best overall option for transport (not just work commutes) our buses are **** and still will be even if bus connects goes ahead.

Dublins problem is rampant overpopulation, a moratorium on the international "student" fiddle would do more for this city and its transport systems than chopping down trees to build bike lanes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Thrashssacre

Bambi wrote: »
    Dublin already has bus lanes, poorly enforced ones and post bus connects we will still have overcrowded buses. People pick car ownership because they are the best overall option for transport (not just work commutes) our buses are **** and still will be even if bus connects goes ahead.

Dublins problem is rampant overpopulation, a moratorium on the international "student" fiddle would do more for this city and its transport systems than chopping down trees to build bike lanes.

Dublin has a world class bus network and after bus connect they’ll be more busses and the routes will be improved for interchanging and opening up new journeys, there’s a lot of infrastructure improvements to go with the route redesigns (which admittedly aren’t to be finished until afterwards)

This is a worthwhile plan even if the trees have to go.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

Overpopulation? Dublin's population is very low for its physical area. The problem is the lack of infrastructure to serve the city. We have 1960s transport here still.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,633 ✭✭✭prunudo

Lets face it, the majority of the road side trees that are due to be removed are getting to the end of their useful lives. This coupled with the fact that they aren't exactly growing in ideal soil conditions means that it would be more beneficial to plant more trees in our urban green spaces and set aside urban sites solely for trees and wildlife. I'd imagine given the choice that the birds would prefer not to live in nests in close proximity to double decker buses either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

even Irelands dud government declares a biodiversity emergency and not two weeks later they want to cut 800 trees in Shankhill (is that old forest in Irish) and hundreds of mature trees that took decades to grow in the southside for a temporary bus lane to be possibly replaced with pencil thin saplings in some areas only.

Don't believe everything you see on social media... Ribbon wrappers were questioned in some areas and admitted that they are marking all trees along the improved routes and also growing in affected gardens without actually validating that they are marked to be removed. It's very much like Dunville Avenues Berlin Wall, exaggeration clearly works.

Trees can be replanted.. as nimby arguments go this is by up there as one of the weakest

lawred2 wrote: »
    Trees can be replanted.. as nimby arguments go this is by up there as one of the weakest

How will felling trees in that location help with traffic? I'm just looking for a logical answer.

There's also plans for a flyover in relation to the level crossing on Merrion road. Now that would have an obvious benefit to congestion because it would eliminate a junction. I believe there's some local objection to that, but as far as I can see, the impact would be relatively light while being greatly beneficial to the public interest.

I've also heard that there could never be a cycle route along the Dublin coast because of ecological concerns, but that sounds like bullsh*t councilor speak.

I think some joined up thinking is required here. A balanced approach *can* be taken. Saying that the trees don't matter just because of NIMBYism doesn't wash.

How will felling trees in that location help with traffic? I'm just looking for a logical answer.

There's also plans for a flyover in relation to the level crossing on Merrion road. Now that would have an obvious benefit to congestion because it would eliminate a junction. I believe there's some local objection to that, but as far as I can see, the impact would be relatively light while being greatly beneficial to the public interest.

I've also heard that there could never be a cycle route along the Dublin coast because of ecological concerns, but that sounds like bullsh*t councilor speak.

I think some joined up thinking is required here. A balanced approach *can* be taken. Saying that the trees don't matter just because of NIMBYism doesn't wash.

I'm working on the presumption that felling trees needs to happen to widen roads... Or to allow for the construction of segregated pedestrian or cycle facilities.

Felling the trees is required to create wider & safer bus and cycle routes, and multiple more replacement trees will be planted. The NIMBYs are using this as an excuse - let's give them an option to save the trees by allowing more of the road to be used for public transport & see what they have to say.

hmmm wrote: »
    Felling the trees is required to create wider & safer bus and cycle routes, and multiple more replacement trees will be planted. The NIMBYs are using this as an excuse - let's give them an option to save the trees by allowing more of the road to be used for public transport & see what they have to say.

How would widening roads help in this location? I commute through this route and am somewhat dismayed by how long it takes sometimes, and that's entirely due to the number of junctions there are.

This is an example of the location. The traffic at this spot is due to that junction. There is a dedicated bus lane on inbound traffic (which is all that is necessary). The trees in this location currently all have red ribbons on them. If there is an extra lane placed here it will not improve the situation at all as the delays are caused by that intersection.

Let's not get into the territory of "we need a children's hospital, therefore criticism be damned".

How would widening roads help in this location? I commute through this route and am somewhat dismayed by how long it takes sometimes, and that's entirely due to the number of junctions there are.
    Take it up with the NTA, it's a public consultation.

Dublins problem is rampant overpopulation
    Dublin is one of the smallest and least dense European capital cities. To say that Dublin is overpopulated hardly needs ridiculing -- but just to register this anyway, it is totally ridiculous.

In fact, you go on to make an even more puerile suggestion, that we should get rid of students as a means of eradicating...congestion? Students, whether from inside or outside the EU, do not typically drive in Dublin City. And they contribute enormously to the economic activity of the city, particularly the night-time economy.
    There is a dedicated bus lane on inbound traffic (which is all that is necessary).
    Strictly speaking, no bus lane is necessary; this is about incentivising public transport and other clean transit alternatives to cars. Why is only an inbound bus-lane desirable? The people who travel into town for work and events usually return to the same point-of-origin at evening, do they not?

• Advertisement
Advertisement