Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changes to benefit the environment...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Out spreading fertiliser last few days. In the long grass l came upon hen pheasants and their young, a wild duck with 8 chicks waddling along behind (never seen it before) and 2 hares.

I love this time of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,172 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Was it an internet based company you ordered from Base, if you don’t mind me asking...
    Fruithill Farm in Bantry - https://www.fruithillfarm.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,242 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

Base price wrote: »
    We have dry bedded sheds for calves (straw) along with a 370k slurry lagoon for older cattle. The dung from the sheds and slurry are spread on the fields. Its a simple enough operation.

Do you mind me asking what kind of acres you have?

I’ve 78 acres with about 45 very poor and another 20 fair and about 10good. I’m cutting rushed the style Glas wants but I’ve corners around the place that I’m putting the odd bush into etc. my current regime is 4 ton of 18-6-12. And a 4 bay single of slurry. Id love to reduce this. I was thinking of hen pellets but I dunno much about them.

I try to leave hedges and briars intact and since we moved into our new home, the small lady and I do a few raised beds with wild flower mixes. You should see the amount of little birds that were around for our sunflowers when they went to seed. I’m putting lawns down at moment so trying to plan a bit now.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

I’ve 78 acres with about 45 very poor and another 20 fair and about 10good. I’m cutting rushed the style Glas wants but I’ve corners around the place that I’m putting the odd bush into etc. my current regime is 4 ton of 18-6-12. And a 4 bay single of slurry. Id love to reduce this. I was thinking of hen pellets but I dunno much about them.

I try to leave hedges and briars intact and since we moved into our new home, the small lady and I do a few raised beds with wild flower mixes. You should see the amount of little birds that were around for our sunflowers when they went to seed. I’m putting lawns down at moment so trying to plan a bit now.

I do know that Poultry based fertilisers etc are generally not recommended for use in fields that horses will be grazing or used for making horse hay because of the increased risk for salmonella contamination.

For cattle teasasc advise against spreading litter or making silage from land where litter is spread.

Not sure if this applies to pelletized poultry manure? Is it heat treated to kill off all pathogens?

https://www.agriculture.gov.ie/farmingsectors/poultry/spreadingofpoultrylitteronland/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

gozunda wrote: »
    I do know that Poultry based fertilisers etc are generally not recommended for use in fields that horses will be grazing or used for making horse hay because of the increased risk for salmonella contamination.

For cattle teasasc advise against spreading litter or making silage from land where litter is spread.

Not sure if this applies to pelletized poultry manure? Is it heat treated to kill off all pathogens?

https://www.agriculture.gov.ie/farmingsectors/poultry/spreadingofpoultrylitteronland/
    Would mushroom composite not be better

• Advertisement

Would mushroom composite not be better

Mushroom compost can be fairly good afaik
    It contains high levels of lime and soluble salts (the salts though may harm germinating seeds or other salt-sensitive vegetation). It's very good on acid soils low in organic matter, where the lime is an added benefit to soil fertility. 

If I remember correctly mushroom compost is not recommended on neutral, alkaline or lime rich soils, which would result in the soil becoming increasingly alkaline by the addition of the compost.

It shouldn't be used without being left covered for a couple of months before use

There is just over 80 here at the home farm and it would be considered good land.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,075 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

You won't maintain the fertility on your farm using less that 4 ton of 18 6 12, whether that's important to you or not.I don't know

wrangler wrote: »
    You won't maintain the fertility on your farm using less that 4 ton of 18 6 12, whether that's important to you or not.I don't know
    That along with the slurry is enough to maintain for the numbers I hold. Any more fertilizer and I’d prob have to keep more cattle. I currently have 13cows and bull and maybe house a few weanlings/yearlings also

That along with the slurry is enough to maintain for the numbers I hold. Any more fertilizer and I’d prob have to keep more cattle. I currently have 13cows and bull and maybe house a few weanlings/yearlings also

But you said you wanted to use less, hence my comment

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

Is there a formula of sorts that ties fertility with sticking rate?
    Eg every kg of meat out, takes x P, and y K?

I don’t have a high stocking rate, so don’t have need for pushing on grass with N, so don’t put out much fertiliser...
    But at the same time, I don’t want to be losing fertility either....

Is there a formula of sorts that ties fertility with sticking rate?
    Eg every kg of meat out, takes x P, and y K?

I don’t have a high stocking rate, so don’t have need for pushing on grass with N, so don’t put out much fertiliser...
    But at the same time, I don’t want to be losing fertility either....

I just learn't the hard way when I changed to feeding all bought in feed to ewes in winter, I thought I didn't need much fertiliser as I wasn't making winterfeed, fertility dropped a lot even though I was using a small amount manure, but I was selling 8-900 lambs every year on 110 acres.
    Someone told me then the amount of P and K per kg lamb, so it made sense .
    But I wouldn't even know where to find that information now
    If your stocking rate is low, your probably don't need fertiliser and definitely not nitrogen,

But you said you wanted to use less, hence my comment

I understand your comment and appreciate it- I was just explaining my rationale. I would like to cut back on artificial fertilizer but I’ve to be realistic too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭148multi

gozunda wrote: »
    Mushroom compost can be fairly good afaik
    It contains high levels of lime and soluble salts (the salts though may harm germinating seeds or other salt-sensitive vegetation). It's very good on acid soils low in organic matter, where the lime is an added benefit to soil fertility. 

If I remember correctly mushroom compost is not recommended on neutral, alkaline or lime rich soils, which would result in the soil becoming increasingly alkaline by the addition of the compost.

It shouldn't be used without being left covered for a couple of months before use

Why cover

148multi wrote: »
    Why cover

Stops it being been leached by rain and allows for further composting - helping to breakdown any residual fungicides / pesticides

New 1ha forestry initiative as part of next CAP announced but no details yet.
    https://www.farmersjournal.ie/hogan-plants-idea-of-1ha-forestry-on-farmers-lands-in-next-cap-459459

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭PoorFarmer

Base price wrote:

Will it be woodland or forestry I wonder? 🙄

PoorFarmer wrote: »
    Will it be woodland or forestry I wonder? ��
    I reckon woodland - "In his keynote speech at the conference, he said that farmers could be rewarded by such an initiative, under the condition that the afforestation is done in a biodiversity-friendly way, combining climate and environmental objectives"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Capercaillie

I reckon woodland - "In his keynote speech at the conference, he said that farmers could be rewarded by such an initiative, under the condition that the afforestation is done in a biodiversity-friendly way, combining climate and environmental objectives"

Hogan/Fine Gael will try and convince everybody that 1Ha of stika spruce would be biodiverse -friendly...........

Hogan/Fine Gael will try and convince everybody that 1Ha of stika spruce would be biodiverse -friendly...........
    If they go down that route then I doubt they will get the uptake they are trying to achieve. I for one have no interest in growing non native species irrespective of how much per ha the payment might be.

I would like to see a program where farmers could select a number of different native species that are known to compliment each other and our wildlife/pollinators.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

https://www.farmersjournal.ie/hogan-plants-idea-of-1ha-forestry-on-farmers-lands-in-next-cap-459459

I wonder if they will include the native trees option in GLAS as part of the ha? Or will the fcuk it up as usual and make us plant more on top of it. Currently have an acre field sitting doing sweet feck all with reps trees on it. Wouldn't surprise me if I'd get paid to rip those out & plant new ones :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

https://www.seedbomb.ie

I ordered the 1000 bombs for €120.

They haven’t arrived yet so I can’t comment on how effective they are.

Any luck with these? I've thrown down about 400 in the garden after prepping the soil and literally not one single seed has germinated. Planted about 6 weeks ago.

Roen wrote: »
    Any luck with these? I've thrown down about 400 in the garden after prepping the soil and literally not one single seed has germinated. Planted about 6 weeks ago.

Probably too early for wildflowers to grow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

Probably too early for wildflowers to grow.

The blurb was saying to plant out in Feb. I left it till mid march. I'd be expecting to see some form of shoots appearing.
    Might just need a bit more patience though.

I wonder if they will include the native trees option in GLAS as part of the ha? Or will the fcuk it up as usual and make us plant more on top of it. Currently have an acre field sitting doing sweet feck all with reps trees on it. Wouldn't surprise me if I'd get paid to rip those out & plant new ones :rolleyes:
    We didn't get involved in REPS but I presume since you got paid for your REPS plan and so far for your GLAS tree option, then those plots/areas will remain intact.

My reading of the circular is that this is a new initiative to help Ireland address our CO2 emissions - " “This initiative can be programmed through pillar 2 funding under the CAP and could help member states to meet their climate and biodiversity objectives"

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,980 Mod ✭✭✭✭Genghis Cant

Roen wrote: »

We had some here a few years back. I don't believe even one flower grew from any of them.

The same time we got a packet of wildflower seeds in Lidl for a couple of euros and they gave far better results.
    So seed bombs are banned from here now.
    I've a kilo of phacelia and near a kilo of sunflower seeds that I saved from last year's sunflowers. I'll lorry them out and see see how the mix works. Phacelia was very good here last year.

We had some here a few years back. I don't believe even one flower grew from any of them.

The same time we got a packet of wildflower seeds in Lidl for a couple of euros and they gave far better results.
    So seed bombs are banned from here now.
    I've a kilo of phacelia and near a kilo of sunflower seeds that I saved from last year's sunflowers. I'll lorry them out and see see how the mix works. Phacelia was very good here last year.

Grass grows so thick on our farm we can't even get clover to grow never mind wildfowers

• Registered Users Posts: 9,544 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

This is one of the most interesting threads on boards.ie.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,980 Mod ✭✭✭✭Genghis Cant

Grass grows so thick on our farm we can't even get clover to grow never mind wildfowers

It was along a bank and a shady corner that I was after digging up that we tried them.
    Outside of that, like yourself, grass out competes nearly everything else around here.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

I've a load of wildflower seeds and sunflowers to throw out.
    I'm just waiting for the local farmer to come up and get my drills done in the garden.

I assume flowers would destroy any chance of silage from my field.
    Need to be careful where I put the seeds

Advertisement