Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changes to benefit the environment...

Options
167891012»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Capercaillie

Any word on how much/m we'll get? Everything has a value now ....

Hopefully it will be done fairly. People who have annually flailed hedges kept at a height of 1 foot should get minimal payment. People who have bio diverse tall/wide hedgerow should get maximum payment.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,067 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

And the sad thing is as far as the consumer is concerned. All beef will now be looked upon as damaging the rainforest and native people displacement.
    There'll be no distinction between Irish and Brazilian in the minds of many.
    People will just cut back on beef or pick the cheapest in the supermarket.

This is from Australia.
    More proactive than Ireland?

https://www.farmonline.com.au/story/6252173/beef-will-have-to-change/

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Anyone able to identify these? Thanks

Muckit wrote: »

1st pic: tufted vetch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭80sDiesel

ybiVgUJ.jpg

Spotted sheeps bit scabious flower at the weekend

A man is rich in proportion to the number of things which he can afford to let alone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

I thought the second one looked sorta like a snapdragon but Google is potentially saying toadflax?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,152 ✭✭✭✭Base price

I presume SMN is correct on the first pic so I had a look in this website (http://www.irishwildflowers.ie/) for the second pic and can't see anything like it. You can search the site by the colour of the plants.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Base price wrote: »
    I presume SMN is correct on the first pic so I had a look in this website (http://www.irishwildflowers.ie/) for the second pic and can't see anything like it. You can search the site by the colour of the plants.

The only one that comes close imo is yellow rattle - but the plant in the photo looks too tall - otherwise dark or maybe a form of yellow mullein. Are the stem / leaves wooly to touch?

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭PoorFarmer

Base price wrote:
    I presume SMN is correct on the first pic so I had a look in this website (

Base price wrote:
    for the second pic and can't see anything like it. You can search the site by the colour of the plants.

I thought the second one looked sorta like a snapdragon but Google is potentially saying toadflax?

I use an app called plantsnap. Haven't found one yet it doesn't recognise. Think there's a limit on how many to check per day before you have to pay but is handy for recognising stuff I havent seen before

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Have been planting trees on the land for the last 10 or so years. 95% are trees grown from seed, of this 90% are oak.

Last 3 years I have bought 400 apple/pear trees and the bees are keen on this, also have a large number of crab apple/plum and cherry trees which all have nice flowers.

Still have thousands of trees left to plant on the land, at moment they are planted in small nurserys.

The end goal is to have a legit Oak forest, from acorns collected in Union wood in Sligo, and also to have a few thousand fruit trees.

All trees are planted in fields with grazing sheep so takes a good bit of effort to prune them and protect them but with the correct spacing they should only improve the ground.

• Advertisement

JJayoo wrote: »
    Have been planting trees on the land for the last 10 or so years. 95% are trees grown from seed, of this 90% are oak.

Last 3 years I have bought 400 apple/pear trees and the bees are keen on this, also have a large number of crab apple/plum and cherry trees which all have nice flowers.

Still have thousands of trees left to plant on the land, at moment they are planted in small nurserys.

The end goal is to have a legit Oak forest, from acorns collected in Union wood in Sligo, and also to have a few thousand fruit trees.

All trees are planted in fields with grazing sheep so takes a good bit of effort to prune them and protect them but with the correct spacing they should only improve the ground.

Did you avail of the agro-forestry grants by any chance?

gozunda wrote: »
    JJayoo wrote: »

Did you avail of the agro-forestry grants by any chance?

No never received any kind of grant I don't believe there is any kind of grant available for the type of planting I want to do, as in none of the trees will ever get cut down for timber.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,152 ✭✭✭✭Base price

gozunda wrote: »
    The only one that comes close imo is yellow rattle - but the plant in the photo looks too tall - otherwise dark or maybe a form of yellow mullein. Are the stem / leaves wooly to touch?
    I think you're on the ball with yellow rattle.

BTW what is a "form of yellow mullein"?

Base price wrote: »
    I think you're on the ball with yellow rattle.

BTW what is a "form of yellow mullein"?

Mullein can be hairy or there is a 'dark' Mullein which looks somewhat similar but doesnt have the hairy leaves ...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭80sDiesel

Do you protect the trees from the sheep? I planted a small oak Forest and will let sheep in their in a few years when they get more established.

A man is rich in proportion to the number of things which he can afford to let alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,187 ✭✭✭carrollsno1

Better living everyone

80sDiesel wrote: »
    Do you protect the trees from the sheep? I planted a small oak Forest and will let sheep in their in a few years when they get more established.

I put tree guards and big post with each tree. If sheep get used to trees they don't seem to pass much heed, just have to prune off any lower branches. The main issue is that they will itch against them, pushing their entire weight into the tree/post and this can loosen them.

Rams just aren't allowed in the fields that are planted as they will take all the bark off with their horns.

Had some issues with hares and deer striping bark, found that painting on a mix of sheep dung and water stopped the bark stripping and also stopped the sheep from jumping up at the fruit trees.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,129 ✭✭✭✭Water John

What a lovely job: 'I'm painting the tree with sh1t'.

Water John wrote: »
    What a lovely job: 'I'm painting the tree with sh1t'.

Were you at the Nots farm walk this evening Water John?
    I think you mentioned you were at a previous one?

No, was at a couple of organic walks. Doing that Course with NOTS ATM. Heading for Drumshanbo again, nice town.

• Advertisement

Water John wrote: »
    No, was at a couple of organic walks. Doing that Course with NOTS ATM. Heading for Drumshanbo again, nice town.

If you'd like tay I'm just 20 mins further :D

Shur I could even wander across the border for a parade!!

Can you bring the orange balloons, i'll bring the green :D

Point taken!

Advertisement