Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changes to benefit the environment...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

_Brian wrote: »
    I thought this “citizen science” project was a great way to collect loads of data.
    Farmers and people were encouraged to sample their land and submit the results on earthworm populations in 20cm cube digs.
    Showed a decline in earthworms which I suppose is what we would all expect to see considering so much slurry and artificial fertiliser compared to FYM that used to be spread.

https://www.earthwormwatch.org/welcome-science-education

Interesting site. Looking at the surveys they did so far in the UK I think it was mainly of garden plots (?) with the result showing that:
    The data you have submitted so far demonstrates that the highest density of earthworms occurred in vegetable beds. These are regularly dug over and contain a high degree of nutrients, including organic matter.

This is great news for families and gardeners who manage a vegetable patch and dig in organic matter such as well-rotted manure, compost, leaf-mould, or compost bark. It suggests that well-kept lawns aren’t the best habitat for earthworms, despite less disturbance from digging.

I reckon a similar result would be found in domestic gardens here tbh...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Showed a decline in earthworms which I suppose is what we would all expect to see considering so much slurry and artificial fertiliser compared to FYM that used to be spread.

FYM is without doubt a great soil Improver. But unless we are all going to go back to mixed farming and we all having a bit of tillage (our own straw) and using loose bedded sheds exclusively, then the scientists and researchers will need to guide us with modern farming practice.

Animal waste, l would think is most commonly stored and spread on land in the form of slurry.
    Has there been studies done to show the effect (if any slurry application method has on earthworm population?
    Are there cost effective products that could be added to slurry that would emulate that benefits of FYM?
    Are there other organic matter products that could be bought and used to increase soil organic matter?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,129 ✭✭✭✭Water John

What would be a win/win is anerobic digestion, and be an answer to a number of your very good questions. Liquid digestate can be spread with little emissions on grazing grass. The solids from AD can be composted.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,476 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Muckit wrote: »
    FYM is without doubt a great soil Improver. But unless we are all going to go back to mixed farming and we all having a bit of tillage (our own straw) and using loose bedded sheds exclusively, then the scientists and researchers will need to guide us with modern farming practice.

Animal waste, l would think is most commonly stored and spread on land in the form of slurry.
    Has there been studies done to show the effect (if any slurry application method has on earthworm population?
    Are there cost effective products that could be added to slurry that would emulate that benefits of FYM?
    Are there other organic matter products that could be bought and used to increase soil organic matter?

Slurry could be dewatered and the dry matter stores and spread like FYM.
    I think the dirty water could be spread with less damage to soils.

More cost and more time in antight margins system is never an option though.

Is slurry injection any better for worm numbers I wonder.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,636 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Slurry could be dewatered and the dry matter stores and spread like FYM.
    I think the dirty water could be spread with less damage to soils.

More cost and more time in antight margins system is never an option though.

Is slurry injection any better for worm numbers I wonder.

Less issues with run-off too. I know a couple of smaller farmers that are near enough organic to the extent that the only thing they put on the fields is FYM. You can tell by the diverse array of fungi,herbs and soil invertebrates that the humus content etc. is in top order in such fields. These guys also run some of the finest stock in the place with mush reduced issues with stomach worms and the like compared to standard operators nearby. If this government and relevant agencies were that serious about all the green blather they come out with, this is the type of farming model that should be supported instead of trying to hoodwink people with empty virtue signalling in the Dail

• Advertisement

gozunda wrote: »
    I

I reckon a similar result would be found in domestic gardens here tbh...

Slug Pellets and certain other certain other commonly used garden pesticides are known to damage many earthworm species/populations

I also recently read an interesting article about Greta Thunburg and other cases where children were used to spearhead changes. The jist was that its often undemocratic as nobody can really be seen to challenge a child publicly even of they are correct in doing so, personally I think she is being used as a puppet to further this cause for that very reason..

Start questioning a kid like that in public and you'll very quickly be deemed a total monster.

Greta Thunberg is a child with learning difficulties. I would rather see sound science used here then pointless feelgood Greenwash Celebrity worship that is getting in the way of addressing the real issues. We are certainly facing an extinction crisis - but I'm far from convinced that the climate is the big issue - traditional drivers of extinction like direct habit destruction, pollution(particulary marine plastic), industiral fishing,illegal killing and trade in protected species etc. are far more important drivers of this crisis. What we need to see from this government and the EU is a radical reform of CAP, Common Fisheries policies etc. until that time I cannot take the polical system seriously on these matters

• Registered Users Posts: 11,068 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Water John wrote: »
    What would be a win/win is anerobic digestion, and be an answer to a number of your very good questions. Liquid digestate can be spread with little emissions on grazing grass. The solids from AD can be composted.

I was at a biochar meeting and most of the opportunities those from the ag side were coming out with was on the A.D side. Turn the digestate to biochar.
    Personally on a small scale I think there's great scope to grow your own biomass and turn it yourself into biochar and dump it into the slurry tanks and sequester carbon through your char and reduce or eliminate your emissions from your slurry and have a great product for your fields then.

In Oz. There's a company selling biochar made from poultry manure. So they're hitting it from getting a waste product and dealing with any botulism issues for the users. Users buying it are putting it on fields that have heavy metal issues.

Edit: Roughly on topic. But did anyone catch the biochar webinar advertised by the farmers journal?
    I missed it. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭80sDiesel

Stupid question but isn't slurry the same as fym. How does it differ?

A man is rich in proportion to the number of things which he can afford to let alone.

The worms would tell you it's different.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

80sDiesel wrote: »
    Stupid question but isn't slurry the same as fym. How does it differ?

Slurry is the crap and piss only and is liquid
    Fym is crap piss and straw and is solid and normally composts a bit before being spread

• Registered Users Posts: 18,476 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Birdnuts wrote: »
    Main foodplant for the wonderfull Orange Tip Butterfly. From now on your should be able to see the tiny orange eggs near the flower head
    One meadow we have is teeming with the orange tip's, and mining bees.

Spotted these growing in shady ditch on the farm. Can anyone identify? Is it vetch?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭yosemitesam1

Spotted these growing in shady ditch on the farm. Can anyone identify? Is it vetch?

Definitely not vetch but no idea what it is

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

I think it is a hybrid bluebell, a cross between the native bluebell and the Spanish bluebell. (Hyacinthoides x massartiana)

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭PoorFarmer

I'm 99% sures its Common Milkwort

Thanks all. Very interesting stuff. It's amazing all the plants that could be growing and you'd be passing by them for years until you deliberately take a closer look.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

So - I have a field, that furze is coming back into in a big way, and I need to do something with it...

Field is not accessible by tractor, so whatever will be done, it will have to be done by hand.

I am thinking spraying with Grazon is kinda the only option, but interested to hear if I have any other options...

Putting it in here, even though it kinda goes against what this thread is about. Unfortunately I cant let the field go wild with furze (which will happen in a few years if I do nothing) but I'm not gone on spraying either...

So - any suggestions?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,726 ✭✭✭endainoz

Field is not accessible by tractor, so whatever will be done, it will have to be done by hand.

I am thinking spraying with Grazon is kinda the only option, but interested to hear if I have any other options...

Putting it in here, even though it kinda goes against what this thread is about. Unfortunately I cant let the field go wild with furze (which will happen in a few years if I do nothing) but I'm not gone on spraying either...

I had heard of lads feeding furze to horses in olden times. If it were possible to put some in there and fence it off? I know shag all about horses or their diet though but maybe someone here might.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,058 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

So - I have a field, that furze is coming back into in a big way, and I need to do something with it...

So - any suggestions?

Dig out or spray, are you sure grazon will kill them

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭yosemitesam1

So - any suggestions?

Roundup if they're small or cut and roundup on the stumps if they're big

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭PoorFarmer

Roundup if they're small or cut and roundup on the stumps if they're big

Remember that these will fall into the same category as trees and hedges at this time of year so be careful how you proceed

Have a furze machine still in the yard. Was used to chop up 'aithean gaelach' for the horses and bedding I think. Hoses can't eat growing furze.

PoorFarmer wrote: »
    Remember that these will fall into the same category as trees and hedges at this time of year so be careful how you proceed

really?? Where did you come across that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Capercaillie

ganmo wrote: »
    really?? Where did you come across that?

Birds can be nesting in it now.

PoorFarmer wrote: »

No, they’re only small, up to your knee kinda size...
    But - there is a lot of them, have the place covered... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Thought these were lovely to see today. Stonechat nesting pair. Giving out yards to me as I walked along a waterway at the farthest edge of our land.

D6hxHzEXkAEcfB7.jpg
    D6hxJT9WAAEJcGS.jpg

wrangler wrote: »
    Dig out or spray, are you sure grazon will kill them

I sprayed some with grazing last year, and it seemed to do a good job...

But aome people have said to me that it only stunts en and they will be back...

Gallup is the same as roundup isn’t it?

• Advertisement

Birds can be nesting in it now.
    (2) Subsection (1) of this section shall not apply in relation to—

(a) the destroying, in the ordinary course of agriculture or forestry, of any vegetation growing on or in any hedge or ditch;

(b) the cutting or grubbing of isolated bushes or clumps of gorse, furze or whin or the mowing of isolated growths of fern in the ordinary course of agriculture;

see it doesn't apply

Advertisement