Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changes to benefit the environment...

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

Not one germinated. I threw out a few boxes of wild flower seed yesterday. We used a cloche a few weeks ago for a fairy garden for the small lady and they’re flying up so we widened our scope.

Bit of a trend emerging with those things.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭80sDiesel

Was under some mature synamore trees today and they were abuzz with bees. Seemingly they flower early and are a great source of polen and nectar.

And I was so tempted to cut them down some day but will leave them now.

A man is rich in proportion to the number of things which he can afford to let alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,058 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

80sDiesel wrote: »
    Was under some mature synamore trees today and they were abuzz with bees. Seemingly they flower early and are a great source of polen and nectar.

And I was so tempted to cut them down some day but will leave them now.

We've a cotoneaster hedge in the yard here and it has been thick with bees the last few days, massive buzzing noise out of it all day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

wrangler wrote: »
    We've a cotoneaster hedge in the yard here and it has been thick with bees the last few days, massive buzzing noise out of it all day

I've the same. About 20-30 bumbles at one plant the last few days

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭PoorFarmer

wrangler wrote:

We have it here too. Hate the look of it but is black with bees for most of the summer so I let it be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Base price wrote: »
    I didn't know what those flowers were either. I haven't heard the cuckoo......

Here is pic of my cattle in the LIPP. Place covered in the cuckoo flowers. I 've heard
    the cuckoo around here yesterday evening

• Registered Users Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

Plenty of cuckoo flowers here too. Mostly in the bog. Just heard the cuckoo for the first time this year last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,636 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Muckit wrote: »
    Here is pic of my cattle in the LIPP. Place covered in the cuckoo flowers. I 've heard

Main foodplant for the wonderfull Orange Tip Butterfly. From now on your should be able to see the tiny orange eggs near the flower head

• Registered Users Posts: 11,152 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Birdnuts wrote: »
    Main foodplant for the wonderfull Orange Tip Butterfly. From now on your should be able to see the tiny orange eggs near the flower head
    TBH I don't have a clue about the majority of our non-mammalian species.
    However I decided to try and educate myself and recently bought two swatches from Biodiversity Ireland (http://www.biodiversityireland.ie/shop/). One is for flutterbys and the other is for bees.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Base price wrote: »
    TBH I don't have a clue about the majority of our non-mammalian species.
    However I decided to try and educate myself and recently bought two swatches from Biodiversity Ireland (http://www.biodiversityireland.ie/shop/). One is for flutterbys and the other is for bees.

Its an interest from the time I was a kid. I'd borrow a guide book from the library and disappear down the fields. Still try to do a bit when I've time.

• Advertisement

Muckit wrote: »
    Here is pic of my cattle in the LIPP. Place covered in the cuckoo flowers.  I 've heard

Will see if I can find any in my fields.

ejvkvb.jpg

A man is rich in proportion to the number of things which he can afford to let alone.

Double post

Double post

Seen the first Cinnibar moth of the year this morning. Hopefully will keep my neighbours ragworth down

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭yosemitesam1

Seen a lot of those at a few different spots this year. Didn't notice any cuckoo flowers anywhere

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

I just threw a few packs of wildflower and bee mix on the verges of my veg plot.

Will see what happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,244 ✭✭✭Gawddawggonnit

28ha field and not going to get the chainsaw to this little oak tree. That’s my contribution for now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭Willfarman

28ha field and not going to get the chainsaw to this little oak tree. That’s my contribution for now.

I’d transplant him to a more suitable location next November all the same!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭grassroot1

Wouldn't it be a grand place for row of oaks

I wonder will the climate emergency announced yesterday be administered to farmers with a stick or a carrot? TBH I cant see government spending big on any changes they want us to make.

• Advertisement

PoorFarmer wrote: »
    I wonder will the climate emergency announced yesterday be administered to farmers with a stick or a carrot? TBH I cant see government spending big on any changes they want us to make.

It's a sop to placate the screamers. Thats all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭grassroot1

PoorFarmer wrote:

Plus 100% If the government want change in farming methods or livestock numbers they need to pay farmers to change practice. We cannot do it without compensation.
    The rest of society will also have to make lifestyle changes and cut back in energy and natural resource use.
    Can't see either happening, yesterday was just a ploy to be seen to be doing something rather than actually taking action

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Capercaillie

gozunda wrote: »
    It's a sop to placate the screamers. Thats all.

Government/IFA have zero interest in biodiversity.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,068 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

It's teagasc advice going to government offices so it'll be based on maintaining revenue and output coming out of agriculture to government, secondary industries and management advice.
    Carbon tax will be looked for to boost government coffers and then some schemes will be introduced to get farmers to jump through hoops to get some back.

Carbon sequestration or carbon trading won't get a look in.
    Money is the ruler. There's no real interest in climate change from this government. It's a window dressing exercise.

Carbon should be the currency.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,476 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

I read the Oireachtas Report that is being used, Section 8 relates to farming and from what I can see mostly it just recommends setting up some quangos to further research and more knowledge transfer stuff from Teagasc

It recognises the low margins in the business and so questions if taxation is the way forward..

I also recently read an interesting article about Greta Thunburg and other cases where children were used to spearhead changes. The jist was that its often undemocratic as nobody can really be seen to challenge a child publicly even of they are correct in doing so, personally I think she is being used as a puppet to further this cause for that very reason..

Start questioning a kid like that in public and you'll very quickly be deemed a total monster.

We have two corners that have been allowed to wild out, their not big but we don't farm that much land so everything has to be in proportion.

We grow on hedges big and bushy.

While we have eliminated lots of gorse, one patch remains and providing the dept dont request it we probably won't scrub it out.

I've started paying more attention and recording our wildlife on the biodiversity website, seeing new things, finding out what they are and recording them is a great way to see just how diverse your farm is.
    https://records.biodiversityireland.ie/

Was digging a trench and laying a hedge recently on the edge of a site on the farm, I was disappointed at how few worms we see, this isnt a heavily fertilised or slurried area - nothing in years in this site, just very few earthworms.

_Brian wrote: »
    I..
    Was digging a trench and laying a hedge recently on the edge of a site on the farm, I was disappointed at how few worms we see, this isnt a heavily fertilised or slurried area - nothing in years in this site, just very few earthworms.

Regarding the earthworms. Earthworms like soils with lots of organic matter. Soils prone to flooding or gley type soils in areas with even a seasonally high watertable discourages earthworm activity. A great way to encourage earthworms is to add humus such as well rotted fym to an area - guaranteed they will turn up like holiday makers on a beach in July ;)

_Brian wrote:
    I've started paying more attention and recording our wildlife on the biodiversity website, seeing new things, finding out what they are and recording them is a great way to see just how diverse your farm is.

Do this myself and just save them on an excel file but didnt realise there was an app/website to record on. Thanks

gozunda wrote: »
    Regarding the earthworms. Earthworms like soils with lots of organic matter. Soils prone to flooding or gley type soils in areas with even a seasonally high watertable discourages earthworm activity. A great way to encourage earthworms is to add humus such as well rotted fym to an area - guaranteed they will turn up like holiday makers on a beach in July ;)

Yea.
    Part of this had the blue glar right to the surface, wouldn’t encourage much 🙄

Do this myself and just save them on an excel file but didnt realise there was an app/website to record on. Thanks

I’ve downloaded the app on iPhone but it’s not great tbh, the website is easy though.

• Advertisement

I thought this “citizen science” project was a great way to collect loads of data.
    Farmers and people were encouraged to sample their land and submit the results on earthworm populations in 20cm cube digs.
    Showed a decline in earthworms which I suppose is what we would all expect to see considering so much slurry and artificial fertiliser compared to FYM that used to be spread.

https://www.earthwormwatch.org/welcome-science-education

Advertisement