Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Killer Robots

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,220 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

How would we know the difference ?

Small vocab, strange phrasing of words, repeating sound bites.

And a clear failure to understand how humans work.
    Methinks that the Donald Trump found in The Hall of Presidents at Disneyland speaks and moves more like a bot than the other presidents. Were the designers and programmers having a bit of fun?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,024 CMod ✭✭✭✭Fathom

Black Swan wrote: »
    Methinks that the Donald Trump found in The Hall of Presidents at Disneyland speaks and moves more like a bot than the other presidents. Were the designers and programmers having a bit of fun?
    Trump's robotic face and mouth!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,220 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Fathom wrote: »
    A humourous Disney characterisation.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,024 CMod ✭✭✭✭Fathom

Will Trump Disney Bot now claim no collusion with Russia?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

Will Trump Disney Bot now claim no collusion with Russia?
    something odd about the trend of the thread now, I find it very funny (I have a strangely warped sense of humour the sort that will have me rushing t help a nice person with a broken foot but just fall about laughing if the person is a relative.. but I find that :) I can not laugh at all now (I have fallen and hurt my ribs)
    :D :P

• Advertisement

Reading a novel called Drones.

sounds like it is set in a bee hive :) does it drone on and on?

Rubecula wrote: »
    sounds like it is set in a bee hive :) does it drone on and on?
    Using a fictional story, the author claims that there are several autonomous weapons systems in use today, including one as small as a mosquito for surveillance or poisoning.

Using a fictional story, the author claims that there are several autonomous weapons systems in use today, including one as small as a mosquito for surveillance or poisoning.
    That's small! Credible?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,774 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

That's small! Credible?
    Nah

Way too BIG for Micro-Electro-Mechanical Systems. MEMS.

You can make machines so small they can't use wheels because of frictional effects. You have to make things that bend rather than slide.

• Advertisement

Swannie I was wondering if you had read the book Star Fire by Ingo Swann? I think you would like it if you have not already read it.

Swannie I was wondering if you had read the book Star Fire by Ingo Swann? I think you would like it if you have not already read it.
    No. Have not read it. Will check it out. Thanks.

Neither I.

I remmend it to you both in that case, it is set in the present era so it is a possible way of the word (Ingo Swann is a trained mind user ESP and such like so you get the idea of his novel )

Campaign to Stop Killer Robots cites a global poll claiming that 61% oppose these bots.

Campaign to Stop Killer Robots cites a global poll claiming that 61% oppose these bots.
    Polls probably reflect fictional Skynet.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,774 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Polls probably reflect fictional Skynet.
    Or actual real world killer robots like
    the Predator drones
    or the Samsung SGR-A1 sentry gun
    or the Northrop Grumman X-47B

or the Robot Defence Systems PROWLER featured in the 1985 Chuck Norris movie Code of Silence.

A human can recognise surrendering , can a robot ?

Great question!

Or actual real world killer robots like
    the Predator drones
    or the Samsung SGR-A1 sentry gun
    or the Northrop Grumman X-47B

or the Robot Defence Systems PROWLER featured in the 1985 Chuck Norris movie Code of Silence.

only if it is programmed to

only if it is programmed to
    It's hard to wreck a nice beach.

And video processing is way harder.

Body language ? Gestures ? These aren't universal. And most people don't behave normally when faced with certain death so it's going to be difficult to train that AI.

From a 1987 documentary.

• Advertisement

Body language ? Gestures ? These aren't universal. And most people don't behave normally when faced with certain death so it's going to be difficult to train that AI.
    Comparatively speaking, there was a time when the language translation capacities for No Such Agency, etc., were so limited for such languages as Arabic and Farsi that humans were needed in the loop to facilitate such translations, especially when tribal dialects and colloquial expressions confounded meanings. Now AI translations are so fast and accurate as to compute the meanings faster than humans.

More common Google translations that we all have access to still have a way to go in this domain, especially with languages where there are fewer native speakers like Irish (roughly 10 thousand, rather than millions for Arabic and Farsi). I get a laugh every now and then when I read a Google Irish-English translation. But given time this will change.

Certainly "body language, gestures" etc. "which aren't universal" may take more time to compute, but the advancement of AI is going up geometrically, and given time will more than likely compete effectively and efficiently with humans (who also fail to interpret today differential expressions across cultures).

Wired article?

Wired article?

An Infusion of AI Makes Google Translate More Powerful Than Ever

An Infusion of AI Makes Google Translate More Powerful Than Ever
    AI marches on.

AI marches on.
    AI algorithms can now learn by competing against each other. Beyond this, just imagine robots killing each other.

I would rather not imagine that as it is only a short step from killing a robot to killing people :eek:

I would rather not imagine that as it is only a short step from killing a robot to killing people :eek:
    Killer robots ROE? Rules of engagement.

rules of anykind only work if a,,, the robot understands the, b.,, the robot has them programmed in,,, or c,, the humans who programmed the robot understand them.]

rules of anykind only work if a,,, the robot understands the, b.,, the robot has them programmed in,,, or c,, the humans who programmed the robot understand them.]

Debugging : The act of replacing known bugs with unknown bugs.

NASA spend $1,000 per line of code.

Still doesn't mean they get it right every time.

• Advertisement

Algorithms competing with algorithms (i.e., self-learning) sometimes produce results not fully understood by humans, so say my programming friends. Most still laugh about Skynet, especially after a few beers.
    Debugging : The act of replacing known bugs with unknown bugs.
    I enjoy your humour Capt'n.
    Still doesn't mean they get it right every time.
    Plus... Deadline and cost overruns common. Quarterly and annual results rule in America. Beyond that, look to move to the competition for promotion, more pay, and benefits.

Advertisement