Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Formula 1 2019 - General Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

Completely forgot about that poor lady.

Bianchi was at fault for his accident it’s been proven that he was speeding during the double yellow flags in fact he was doing 132mph way to fast for the conditions and under caution.

Any death is a tragedy but onus needs to be on the driver to exercise caution at all times.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,629 ✭✭✭✭skipper_G

recyclebin wrote: »
    Mick Schumacher to test in Bahrain. Is he that good or has his father's name helped?

Objectively speaking his karting results were very competitive (runner up in European & World championships) and he has a decent junior record (European F3 champion, runner up in the German & Italian F4 championships). But I think he's definitely had the benefits of the name, in terms of getting a foot in the door and attracting some financial backing, not that he needed it much given the family wealth. Too early to say how good he can be yet, will be watching his F2 campaign with interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,088 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

Have one episode to go on the Netflix doc, and I don't want it to end! It's really good at putting personalty back into the sport. Getting to know the likes of Gassly, LeClerc, Magnussen etc has really helped with my interest this year. Previously they were just faceless PR machine drivers. I'll be watching the Hulkenberg / Magnussen rivalry closely this year.

We almost didn't need input from Merc, Ferrari, etc. Who doesn't know who Hamilton / Vettel are? The other thing that strikes me is how young these guys are - barely just adults. I never correlated that with the drivers in the cars once the visors went down. These are young kids driving insanely fast cars at the limit. They really are super talented, all of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

Sour grapes here from Villeneuve, i guess it is nothing to do with what occurred after Germany 2006.

https://f1i.com/news/334164-unsupportive-villeneuve-says-kubica-return-sends-the-wrong-message.html

Wow, what a dick. He basically believes anyone with a disability should be banned from racing in F1, regardless of ability.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,501 ✭✭✭Killinator

Have one episode to go on the Netflix doc, and I don't want it to end! It's really good at putting personalty back into the sport. Getting to know the likes of Gassly, LeClerc, Magnussen etc has really helped with my interest this year. Previously they were just faceless PR machine drivers. I'll be watching the Hulkenberg / Magnussen rivalry closely this year.

We almost didn't need input from Merc, Ferrari, etc. Who doesn't know who Hamilton / Vettel are? The other thing that strikes me is how young these guys are - barely just adults. I never correlated that with the drivers in the cars once the visors went down. These are young kids driving insanely fast cars at the limit. They really are super talented, all of them.

Agreed.
    It was fascinating to get a small insight into Grosjean.
    The sheer pressure at that level of sport and how it takes its toll is fantastic viewing.

I've one episode left too and would love a series 2.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭ayux4rj6zql2ph

Wow, what a dick. He basically believes anyone with a disability should be banned from racing in F1, regardless of ability.

He's just bitter that BMW Sauber ditched him for Kubica and won't let go of that issue 13 years on. Would JV say the same to Zanardi if he tried an F1 comeback after what happened to him in 2001 or indeed should Billy Monger not be allowed into F1 after his own more recent accident.

Villeneuve himself tried on more than one occasion to get back into F1 and in the modern era i don't think any team would hire him, in fact Renault admitted it was a mistake to bring him back in 2004.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,430 ✭✭✭Harika

Killinator wrote: »
    Agreed.
    It was fascinating to get a small insight into Grosjean.
    The sheer pressure at that level of sport and how it takes its toll is fantastic viewing.

I've one episode left too and would love a series 2.

I agree, and I really like Grosjean now as a result. These guys have to be so precise; make a judgement call .02 seconds too soon and you're out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,501 ✭✭✭Killinator

I agree, and I really like Grosjean now as a result. These guys have to be so precise; make a judgement call .02 seconds too soon and you're out.

And not just out of the race, potentially out of a team and left with potentially no way back....ever!
    It is not a forgiving sport and loyalty won't get you very far

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Alonso to drive the McLaren in the Bahrain test.

We get to see Alonso and a Schumacher on the same track again :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭pyramuid man

I really changed my mind on Grosjean after his interview on beyond the grid podcast. He is so honest and open about the work he did with his sports psychologist was some rate insight into his mindset.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Just finished watching it today. It was great to watch. I wonder are Netfliks doing a season two?

Also I wonder has anyone who has not watched F1 or has not been watching for a while watch it? Maybe it will get some more people back into F1. I take it that is the idea behind it.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭corminators

Sounds lot better than the McLaren Amazon show.
    That was painful to watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,520 ✭✭✭✭vectra

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭weekaizer

AMKC wrote: »
    Just finished watching it today. It was great to watch. I wonder are Netfliks doing a season two?

Also I wonder has anyone who has not watched F1 or has not been watching for a while watch it? Maybe it will get some more people back into F1. I take it that is the idea behind it.

I have a few friends who never watched f1, actually enjoy the series, in particular the rivalries between the force India drivers, magnussen v hulk, Renault vs Red Bull etc!. Daniel ricciardo comes accross his usual energetic best and Gunther Steiner was very entertaining!. Really wish there was an episode dedicated to Kimi though.

weekaizer wrote: »
    I have a few friends who never watched f1, actually enjoy the series, in particular the rivalries between the force India drivers, magnussen v hulk, Renault vs Red Bull etc!. Daniel ricciardo comes accross his usual energetic best and Gunther Steiner was very entertaining!. Really wish there was an episode dedicated to Kimi though.

There'll probably be a second series, of course we won't see it till next year, but Merc and Ferrari will be in it.

I have friends who haven't watched F1 since the Schumi / Jordan days who said it rekindled their interest. But then I asked them did they watch the Oz race and they said no.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,576 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Last season I watched was Vettel’s first championship win. F1 doc has got me back in it, sitting down fo me P1 this morning!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

vectra wrote: »
    That's embarrassing. Designing a slow car is one thing, but barely being able to put a car together is something we haven't seen since the days of the minnow teams like HRT and Virgin.

That's embarrassing. Designing a slow car is one thing, but barely being able to put a car together is something we haven't seen since the days of the minnow teams like HRT and Virgin.

This is worse than HRT & Virgin, both of those teams started/ended life as back markers. Here we are talking about former world champions who if i remember correctly since Brazil 2004 have only taken 1 win (Spain 2012) and 3 Pole positions (Europe 2005,Spain 2012,Austria 2014). I think only McLaren have a worse record for being off the podium so long with their last coming at Australia 2014.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,397 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

They werent too bad in that respect it wast Marussia who completely failed to have any kind of car ready for Australia and by the next race Stevens car failed ridiculously early and Bianchi was lapped 8 times (he wasn't even officially classified).

• Advertisement

Kubica was less than 7 hundreds behind Russell in practice, fairly impressive for a dog of a car with his limitations. But the tighter tracks will be where i'll watch on with interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,629 ✭✭✭✭skipper_G

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/article.legendary-engineer-patrick-head-returns-to-williams-as-consultant.ftTp03uHGZaJHPVJwYD7N.html

Williams have gone back in time and brought in Sir Patrick Head on a consultancy basis. There's a slight hint of desperation in that, like they have no confidence in any of their technical staff to lead them out the rut they're in.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Still sceptical about Ferrari having the best pace, only really seeing it in practice so far where I suspect Merc are not pushing or showing their entire hand.

If they outshine Merc at Qualy then I'll take notice. Would love for Leclerc to challenge for pole.

Also hope that Ricciardo get's through the week trouble free and actually gives us a show.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Adamocovic wrote: »
    Still sceptical about Ferrari having the best pace, only really seeing it in practice so far where I suspect Merc are not pushing or showing their entire hand.

If they outshine Merc at Qualy then I'll take notice. Would love for Leclerc to challenge for pole.

Also hope that Ricciardo get's through the week trouble free and actually gives us a show.

I think they are closer than Oz showed, but still have Merc ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭PukkaStukka

Performance in FP2 is just as strong. Vettel ~0.6 ahead of Hamilton and on his fastest lap, he ran wide coming out of the last corner.

I'm more interested to see how they compare on the long runs. That's where this race will really be won

• Registered Users Posts: 4,050 ✭✭✭afatbollix

Get rid of the 3 hour build up shows and put 30 mins style Netflix show of the last race before the start.

So much time to fill up now before each race its kinda lost with fluff and PR type crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,334 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Patrick head is an old man now but the team currently appears rudderless so he might put some shape on the whole outfit.
    From a piece button and Rosberg did for sky recently, he certainly kept the drivers on their toes.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,397 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

mickdw wrote: »
    Patrick head is an old man now but the team currently appears rudderless so he might put some shape on the whole outfit.
    From a piece button and Rosberg did for sky recently, he certainly kept the drivers on their toes.

I always forget Button started at Williams.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,991 ✭✭✭✭flazio

The Channel 4 team have a new podcast.
    https://twitter.com/C4F1/status/1111684808097312768?s=19

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

mickdw wrote: »

Williams is not a sinking ship it’s a sunken ship. Only thing for them is for Mercedes to buy them and to become a feeder team like Haas is for Ferrari.
    Bringing Patrick in is a joke and a decision made by Frank I would say. Sooner Frank and Claire are out of that team the better.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement