Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Formula 1 2019 - General Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

Adamocovic wrote: »
    Funnily enough I used to hate Lance Stroll, decided to cut him some slack and give him the benefit of the doubt this year. After watching the doc I immediately did a 180 and am back to hating him again!

Iv done a 180 to kind of like him now, haven't got to the Stroll episode yet.....

As for Cyril, you could see Horner die a little on the inside when he went to him the day Ricciardo was announced and said to Horner
    "Now you need a new engine and a driver"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭Anjobe

I actually grew to like Cyril, already had a dislike towards Horner so the doc just fuelled it.

Funnily enough I used to hate Lance Stroll, decided to cut him some slack and give him the benefit of the doubt this year. After watching the doc I immediately did a 180 and am back to hating him again!

Cyril Abiteboul is an emotional person who wears his heart on his sleeve. He actually appeared personally hurt when RB dumped the Renault engines, and Horner just couldn't resist getting the digs in could he? He is basically a bully. Cyril's glee in confronting Horner after Ricciardo signed for Renault and his put downs of Horner's attempted banter were glorious to behold.

The bits of the documentary featuring the Williams team were very revealing, with Claire Williams in the foreground fretting over something and Laurence Stroll always in the background glaring contemptuously at her.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,614 ✭✭✭✭skipper_G

I think Cyril comes across better on the Netflix show than he does in the usual coverage

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭Recliner

skipper_G wrote: »
    I think Cyril comes across better on the Netflix show than he does in the usual coverage

What's the name of the Netflix show?

Also only 2 races in and Channel 4's coverage is really not up to par. Really miss Karun Chandok and Lee McKenzie, too much Ben Edwards, only Silverstone as a live race and no Fleetwood Mac's "The Chain" as the theme tune.

Recliner wrote: »
    What's the name of the Netflix show?

Also only 2 races in and Channel 4's coverage is really not up to par. Really miss Karun Chandok and Lee McKenzie, too much Ben Edwards, only Silverstone as a live race and no Fleetwood Mac's "The Chain" as the theme tune.

It's called Drive to Survive

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

It's called Drive to Survive

Ross Brawn said going forward he hopes all teams agree to take part, basically wants Ferrari and Merc to agree but hard to know if they will.

Only thing from that is it sounds like there is a Season 2 in the works. Recording would have started already if that's the case, hopefully get some confirmation soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,087 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

I liked Cyril more than Horner - everything Horner said sounded scripted. Even chatting to his wife in the garden sounded like they had agreed in advance what he was going to say. Maybe he did.

I loved the sniping between the two of them. It really adds to the drama. Same with Hulk / Magnussen. Makes a nice change from the usual "for sure the team are great" PR pronouncements we usually see.

Also I never know that Bianchi was LeClerc's godfather. Makes his move to Ferrari even more poignant.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,937 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

I liked Cyril more than Horner - everything Horner said sounded scripted. Even chatting to his wife in the garden sounded like they had agreed in advance what he was going to say. Maybe he did.

I loved the sniping between the two of them. It really adds to the drama. Same with Hulk / Magnussen. Makes a nice change from the usual "for sure the team are great" PR pronouncements we usually see.

Also I never know that Bianchi was Leclerc's godfather. Makes his move to Ferrari even more poignant.

Yeah there was an interesting Youtube Video a year or so back about his career/life.

If I remember correctly the Biachi's and Leclerc families were very close. His dad was best friend's with Jules father, and his older brother was best friends with Jules, while his best friend was Jules brother.

Charles used to do karting at their track and I remember something about the Bianchi's helping support him financial at some point when he was trying to go up the ranks. It makes sense since they grew up so close to eachother.

Ferrari move came earlier for him than expected but it's been a goal for him and brilliant that he got it. Shame his father isn't around to see him suit up in a Ferrari. No doubt both families are extremely proud of him.

EDIT: During this interview he discusses the family relationship between them

• Registered Users Posts: 4,046 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

Recording would have started already if that's the case, hopefully get some confirmation soon.

Seems it has https://www.reddit.com/r/formula1/comments/b7zbse/nico_pushing_away_one_of_the_netflix_boom/

• Advertisement

Also I never know that Bianchi was LeClerc's godfather. Makes his move to Ferrari even more poignant.

There was a rumour that a certain team principal wanted a second take of something he wasn't happy with during filming for Season 1. I wonder who that could have been.... :D;)

There was a rumour that a certain team principal wanted a second take of something he wasn't happy with during filming for Season 1. I wonder who that could have been.... :D;)

Was there really? Wouldn't surprise me!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,288 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

auto-f1-prix-bahrain-test-schumacher

• Registered Users Posts: 23,185 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

qcly85g9cvp21.jpg

Interestingly Russell drove Kubica's car today. The story is that the two cars apparently behave differently in the same situations and they couldn't diagnose what the problem was with Roberts car so they had Russell hop in to try and figure it out. It now appears Russell hasn't been able to drive it well either actually ending up behind Kubica today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭ayux4rj6zql2ph

Seeing the top 2 there almost feels like the 1994 season again. Both fathers were teammates

Fair play to Mick. Hoping he can back up his name with real pace. Would be brilliant to see him on the grid some day

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭BikeRacer

Ross Brawn said going forward he hopes all teams agree to take part, basically wants Ferrari and Merc to agree but hard to know if they will.

Didn't know that, I thought that was a conscious decision made by the show's producers given how much media attention the 2 normally get anyway. The series was better off for it imo, and I say that as a Merc fan.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,651 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Fair play to Mick. Hoping he can back up his name with real pace. Would be brilliant to see him on the grid some day

I would like to see Giuliano Alesi on the grid.

We could see the Schumacher and Alesi names back on the grid. That would be great.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭chicorytip

Adamocovic wrote:

Jordan 199 wrote:
    I would like to see Giuliano Alesi on the grid.

Jordan 199 wrote:
    We could see the Schumacher and Alesi names back on the grid. That would be great.

Schumacher has one eighth place finish in F2 to his name. The Alesi fellah I have never heard of. Are they getting preferential treatment purely because of their aul lads?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭ayux4rj6zql2ph

Kimi Raikkonen got no preferential treatment in 2001 and had only 23 single seater races to his name prior to Melbourne that year. Even Max Mosley and the FIA didn’t want to grant him a super licence, Peter Sauber had to act as guarantor and his licence reviewed after 4 races. Then Verstappen in 2015 being only 17 which led to change of the rules altogether. His own father’s F1 career wasn’t fantastic by any means and had little impact on him getting there as we now see.

• Advertisement

Final Bahrain testing times:

POS DRIVER CAR GAP LAPS
    1 George Russell Mercedes 1m29.029s 101
    2 Sergio Perez Racing Point/Mercedes 0.066s 60
    3 Sebastian Vettel Ferrari 0.290s 102
    4 Carlos Sainz Jr. McLaren/Renault 0.766s 20
    5 Daniil Kvyat Toro Rosso/Honda 0.882s 111
    6 Mick Schumacher Alfa Romeo/Ferrari 0.969s 70
    7 Alexander Albon Toro Rosso/Honda 1.008s 143
    8 Lance Stroll Racing Point/Mercedes 1.020s 35
    9 Dan Ticktum Red Bull/Honda 1.827s 134
    10 Romain Grosjean Haas/Ferrari 1.874s 86
    11 Fernando Alonso McLaren/Renault 1.977s 69
    12 Pietro Fittipaldi Haas/Ferrari 2.180s 48
    13 Lando Norris McLaren/Renault 2.274s 72
    14 Jack Aitken Renault 2.471s 103
    15 Nicholas Latifi Williams/Mercedes 3.169s 100
    16 Carlos Sainz Jr. McLaren/Renault 3.240s 60

Mick Schumacher drove the Alfa this time, put in another good display. Early days yet but if he can put his head down in F2 and grind out he will build up the talk about his ability more than his name. I'm not doubting his ability but it will always be an issue for him that people will assume he's only there due to his name, something even Ralf struggled with.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,967 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

BikeRacer wrote: »
    Didn't know that, I thought that was a conscious decision made by the show's producers given how much media attention the 2 normally get anyway. The series was better off for it imo, and I say that as a Merc fan.

Christ no. Netflix would love to have the biggest names on the grid in the show. Netflix us just trying to make a show that appeals to most people. Having Hamilton and Ferrari involved would definitely have appealed to more people. But Ferrari and Mercedes didn’t do it because they couldn’t control (script) the message.

As an f1 fan I was delighted with the focus on the other teams but Netflix would have preferred to have the biggest names involved because they wanted to appeal to non f1 fans. As it happens I’ve had some mates in work who have no interest in f1 tell me they’ve seen it and enjoyed it. It’s been a massive marketing success.

I fear the likes of Hamilton will get involved next time and it will have to be sanitised to fit his squeaky clean image which is the exact opposite of what made it interesting in the first season.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

I really don't like the idea of Dan Ticktum being on an F1 grid. I've seen some real scummy behaviour in amateur ranks but what he did should have been met with a lifetime ban.

I really don't like the idea of Dan Ticktum being on an F1 grid. I've seen some real scummy behaviour in amateur ranks but what he did should have been met with a lifetime ban.

It looks like Horner loves him however, and Red Bull pushing the redemption story around him. No doubt he's a fast driver but I'd agree that I'd be worried about his temperament and what he would do out there.

Red Bull though seem to be keen on him and wouldn't surprise me at all to see him starting races for them. Imagine himself and Max on the same team....

• Registered Users Posts: 28,806 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Adamocovic wrote:
    Mick Schumacher drove the Alfa this time, put in another good display. Early days yet but if he can put his head down in F2 and grind out he will build up the talk about his ability more than his name. I'm not doubting his ability but it will always be an issue for him that people will assume he's only there due to his name, something even Ralf struggled with.

Unfortunately I can't see him ever reaching the heights of his father, he was just one of those freaks of nature, a true great, I wish him and his family well

• Registered Users Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭This is it

Christ no. Netflix would love to have the biggest names on the grid in the show. Netflix us just trying to make a show that appeals to most people. Having Hamilton and Ferrari involved would definitely have appealed to more people. But Ferrari and Mercedes didn’t do it because they couldn’t control (script) the message.

As an f1 fan I was delighted with the focus on the other teams but Netflix would have preferred to have the biggest names involved because they wanted to appeal to non f1 fans. As it happens I’ve had some mates in work who have no interest in f1 tell me they’ve seen it and enjoyed it. It’s been a massive marketing success.

I fear the likes of Hamilton will get involved next time and it will have to be sanitised to fit his squeaky clean image which is the exact opposite of what made it interesting in the first season.

I also thought the top teams were left out on purpose, good to know that's not the case. I do think it was a better series for it though

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

This is it wrote: »
    I also thought the top teams were left out on purpose, good to know that's not the case. I do think it was a better series for it though

I think Wolff said in an interview that Ferrari refused to participate so then they said no aswell.

I'm enjoying the show without them

Rossi IRL wrote: »
    I think Wolff said in an interview that Ferrari refused to participate so then they said no aswell.

I'm enjoying the show without them

I like Wolff but don't buy that spiel of we only said no because they did.

The producers made it clear both Merc and Ferrari didn't want to operate with the structure as the other teams had agreed and by all accounts sounded like they wanted control over everything, rather than an authentic, natural experience which the producers wanted. They actually said they believe the teams did a slight injustice to F1 fans but it turned out even better for it.

Ferrari eventually at least allowed the Netflix camera men into their garage, something Merc didn't. The real thing is both teams wanted to much control over how their team would come across. I know they also say it would be a distraction and effect performances but F1 is already such a media packed sport it's hard to believe they have any time away from camera's when they are on track.

It was all in keeping with this self styled belief that they are bigger than the sport, I hope they both learned a valuable lesson. Nobody is bigger than the sport

• Advertisement

It was all in keeping with this self styled belief that they are bigger than the sport, I hope they both learned a valuable lesson. Nobody is bigger than the sport

Apparently with the success there were talks they were interested in being a part now, and Brawn wanted them to be.

I love Leclerc and want to see some of him in the documentary again but I really hope we can focus on the struggling lower pack teams again and it doesn't turn into the Ferrari/Merc show.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement