Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Near misses - mod warning 22/04 - see OP/post 822

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭tnegun

I didn't report it yet as I wanted to see what the footage showed first in case I'd thought it was closer than it was. The GDPR request for footage and complaints are seperate processes within DB. I'll forward them the stills and see what sort of reply I get.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,885 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

obvious question would be - were dublin bus as forthcoming with what action was taken against the driver as they were with the imagery?
    They couldn't reveal details of any disciplinary process against any individual.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Steoller

I hope you report that one. he only had to wait tops, 10 seconds and you were past the pinch point at those light.

I'm surprised - the drivers on that route are usually very good, given that there's not much room to overtake from Maynooth until you get to Pike's bridge.

Yeah I reported it, if he hadn't sounded the horn and sat on my wheel before the pass I would of just thought he messed it up and underestimated the distances involved but he was going by me safe or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

I had to drive to work this morning. Sincere apologies to the cyclist who got a facefull of my windscreen wiper fluid on Highfield Rd, Rathgar, I didn't check my mirrors before splashing. Really sorry, hope you saw the wave of apology as you looked back. Or maybe you were half blinded at the time??!!

As a regular commuter I find this happens to me once in a blue moon, never had it the other way around like this morning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭p15574

Not a near miss for me, rather for other motorists. This was a taxi driver using the N11 off ramp at The Hill in Stillorgan to get onto the N11. Not a great video, sorry, but you can see the taxi on the far right of the screen, pulling out just in front of the ambulance.

He came out here, blind to the multiple "No Through Road", "No Entry" and "Turn Back" signs and markings.

(Video shake reminds me - I really must fit some rubber dampeners or something to my camera bracket, given the shoddiness of cycle path surfaces)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

p15574 wrote: »
    Not a near miss for me, rather for other motorists. This was a taxi driver using the N11 off ramp at The Hill in Stillorgan to get onto the N11. Not a great video, sorry, but you can see the taxi on the far right of the screen, pulling out just in front of the ambulance.

Probably driven by a cyclist, menaces the lot of them. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Bit of a weird one yesterday evening on the way home, saw two scrambler motorbikes down the road (Greenfields, Rosbrien Road) from me, coming towards me, and I was half thinking they'd do something stupid/dangerous to me.

They did - they crossed over to my side of the road, and then right in front of me mounted the footpath, and looking back went across a pedestrian crossing and throttled it up the hill.

Actually no point calling the shades as they'd be long gone!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭Benny Biscotti

First near miss in years tonight. I don't know to call it near miss or intimidation. It was definitely deliberate.

Coming off the Drummartin Link Road onto Blackthorn Avenue I move off the cycle path onto the right hand lane in order to turn right at Beacon Hospital (no cycle lane fork for right turn).

As I approach the lights a black car (audi or lexus or something like that) making a left turn onto Blackthorn avenue right hand lane during the turn deliberately altered his turn veering towards me while accelerating.
    Both of his right wheels were fully over the white line.

obvious question would be - were dublin bus as forthcoming with what action was taken against the driver as they were with the imagery?

DB got back to me today to say the driver had been interviewed and the incident recorded on his file but wouldn't go into further details. I asked if he had been shown the footage and they said he had so I suppose thats the best I can expect. To be fair they very pretty prompt I reported it Saturday and they acknowledged it, driver was interviewed on Monday and they responded to me today.

• Advertisement

p15574 wrote: »

He came out here, blind to the multiple "No Through Road", "No Entry" and "Turn Back" signs and markings.

(Video shake reminds me - I really must fit some rubber dampeners or something to my camera bracket, given the shoddiness of cycle path surfaces)

When I started to watch it and saw the old lady ahead I was thinking whats this clown doing riding the footpath then I saw the bike lane marking at the end. Shocking design.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,148 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

tnegun wrote: »
    I asked if he had been shown the footage and they said he had so I suppose thats the best I can expect.
    hasn't happened me in a while, but i reported stupidly close passes on two different occasions to bus eireann. i got boilerplate responses each time, but if i ever have to do it again, i will be informing them that unless i get proof that action has been taken, i'll be making a complaint to the gardai.
    i know their ability to provide such proof is very limited, but that's not much use to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

When I started to watch it and saw the old lady ahead I was thinking whats this clown doing riding the footpath then I saw the bike lane marking at the end. Shocking design.

Yea I wouldn't mind but theres about 20 foot of hedge to the left there, they could have easily put in a footpath. You often meet pedestrians on that cycle path & you cant even get annoyed about it as it's a ridiculously long detour if they' dont take the cycle lane.

tnegun wrote: »
    DB got back to me today to say the driver had been interviewed and the incident recorded on his file but wouldn't go into further details. I asked if he had been shown the footage and they said he had so I suppose thats the best I can expect. To be fair they very pretty prompt I reported it Saturday and they acknowledged it, driver was interviewed on Monday and they responded to me today.

That's probably as good as you're going to get with any company. They do have a duty of confidentiality to their employee, so they won't be able to give you specifics. Well done for following it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭crisco10

Yea I wouldn't mind but theres about 20 foot of hedge to the left there, they could have easily put in a footpath. You often meet pedestrians on that cycle path & you cant even get annoyed about it as it's a ridiculously long detour if they' dont take the cycle lane.

Wouldn't expect it to change either. It's been like that about 20 years!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

Turning right off one of the roundabouts off the Swords Rd this morning.

As I was coming around to my turn, bint in an Audi ploughs straight onto the roundabout. Lucky I had already pegged her as a possible danger due to her speed on approach, otherwise I would have been ploughed out of it. She obviously wasnt going to see me as she was far more preoccupied with the phone she was clutching against the steering wheel.

You need eyes in the back and sides of your head to avoid being maimed by these self-absorbed morons.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,148 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i was thinking we could have a profanity thread, a log of what we as cyclists utter in haste at motorists or what motorists utter in haste at us.

today, my entry would have been in relation to the northern reg car which pulled out in front of me as if i wasn't there on the east link roundabout. emergency braking on the surface of that roundabout is not fun.
    anyway, we exchanged pleasantries.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,710 ✭✭✭blackwhite

i was thinking we could have a profanity thread, a log of what we as cyclists utter in haste at motorists or what motorists utter in haste at us.

today, my entry would have been in relation to the northern reg car which pulled out in front of me as if i wasn't there on the east link roundabout. emergency braking on the surface of that roundabout is not fun.
    anyway, we exchanged pleasantries.

Think I saw that this morning.

You were calmer than I would have been :pac:

Wasn't me, your honour - my one happened about half four this afternoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Yea I wouldn't mind but theres about 20 foot of hedge to the left there, they could have easily put in a footpath.

those hedges/trees can be hugely overgrown at times too, so people are right out in the middle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

Had a close one on the way home that was somewhat my fault. Carrying a sh*load home in the bag and while sunny, there was a headwind, so had the head down and was grinding away. As pure luck would have it, I looked up just in time to see there’s a taxi parked in the cycle lane maybe 10ft in front of me. Managed to stop just short with very heavy braking. Beat myself up over it on the rest of the commute that I hadn’t seen him. Took a look at the camera when I got home, turns out he passed me and last second darts in and stops to pick up a fare. Doesn’t absolve me, but I realised I had my head down for less than two seconds, which turned out to be the wrong two seconds.. Scared the absolute bejaysus out of me.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,710 ✭✭✭blackwhite

Wasn't me, your honour - my one happened about half four this afternoon.

2 yellow regs acting the bollocks on that roundabout in a day? Couldn’t have happened :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,874 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭micar

silverharp wrote: »

Had a taxi driver do that. He swerved just in time to avoid hitting me

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Valfc5

Hi I would agree I drive and I love cycling. I find bus drivers are the worst.
    there is a Dublin Cycling Campaign group and they can be found on FB. On Wednesday 15th May at 17:29 there is a "Cycle to the Dáil" organised by Dublin Cycling Campaign. I myself are not a member but follow them on FaceBook. worth checking them out. safe cycling Val

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

I reported a close pass (with taxi) that happened in dublin a few weeks ago via traffic watch. It went to the local Garda station. Got a call two weeks later from a Garda. Arranged to send video (forward and rear facing) which the Garda looked at and could see it was a close pass. Got a call a few weeks later to say that the Garda cannot do anything though since he cannot see a law broken. He said he asked other gardai who looked at the footage also. Said if an action (fine/caution /points) is not taken against the driver then it is not even noted against the driver in their system so I asked then if that is the case could loads of cyclists could have reported incidents but no pattern can be seen. He agreed this was the case. Said best he can do is send the driver a letter and see what he says. Said that because the driver doesn't live in Dublin then all he can do is hope the driver still lives at the address and returns a call. I asked what would happen if they needed to find the driver (robbery etc) he said then resources would be given to it and they would find the driver then. Said realistically no action against the driver could be taken unless I was injured.

The Garda contacted back a week later to say the taxi driver had contacted him. Taxi driver says he doesn't remember the incident and comes across many cyclists. Says it wouldn't be in his interest to injure a cyclist. Said he would take more care the future.

Garda said he still doesn't see any law broken and showed to a senior Garda who said as I didn't wobble I wasn't impacted so doesn't see an issue. Garda wants to close the incident and wants me to point him to the law that was broken. Does anyone know which law I point him towards?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

axer wrote: »
    I reported a close pass (with taxi) that happened in dublin a few weeks ago via traffic watch. It went to the local Garda station. Got a call two weeks later from a Garda. Arranged to send video (forward and rear facing) which the Garda looked at and could see it was a close pass. Got a call a few weeks later to say that the Garda cannot do anything though since he cannot see a law broken. He said he asked other gardai who looked at the footage also. Said if an action (fine/caution /points) is not taken against the driver then it is not even noted against the driver in their system so I asked then if that is the case could loads of cyclists could have reported incidents but no pattern can be seen. He agreed this was the case. Said best he can do is send the driver a letter and see what he says. Said that because the driver doesn't live in Dublin then all he can do is hope the driver still lives at the address and returns a call. I asked what would happen if they needed to find the driver (robbery etc) he said then resources would be given to it and they would find the driver then. Said realistically no action against the driver could be taken unless I was injured.

The Garda contacted back a week later to say the taxi driver had contacted him. Taxi driver says he doesn't remember the incident and comes across many cyclists. Says it wouldn't be in his interest to injure a cyclist. Said he would take more care the future.

Garda said he still doesn't see any law broken and showed to a senior Garda who said as I didn't wobble I wasn't impacted so doesn't see an issue. Garda wants to close the incident and wants me to point him to the law that was broken. Does anyone know which law I point him towards?

Driving without reasonable consideration or driving without due care and attention could apply, I think.

Said best he can do is send the driver a letter and see what he says. Said that because the driver doesn't live in Dublin then all he can do is hope the driver still lives at the address and returns a call.

If only we had some kind of interconnected network of Gardai spread all round the country to deal with such cases?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

And there you have it. The approach to road safety and protecting vunerable road users in Ireland as expressed by senior Gardai comes down to a "wobble test".

Pathetic.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement