Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Near misses - mod warning 22/04 - see OP/post 822

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,839 ✭✭✭fat bloke

If anyone truly wants to understand why cyclists behave as aforementioned they should get a lend of a bike and cycle for at least a month on the roads they have created scenarios for.

5 minutes would do 95% of it if you ask me.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,651 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Chiparus wrote: »
    Ever do anything stupid when you were 13 or 14?
    Never stopped doing stupid things, even as I grew older.
    Well done for being aware, so many drivers dont think of the hazards and go mad when the "unexpected" happens.
    A PITA to be honest, the amount of drivers, and cyclists, who never think outside of the rules for what might happen. Like when driving or cycling past a group of schoolkids filling the pavement and they still plough on past at full speed or hugging the kerb, pure idiocy and ignorance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

CramCycle wrote: »

A PITA to be honest, the amount of drivers, and cyclists, who never think outside of the rules for what might happen. Like when driving or cycling past a group of schoolkids filling the pavement and they still plough on past at full speed or hugging the kerb, pure idiocy and ignorance.

Never ceases to amaze me the amount of drivers who just look in front of their car when driving, in their own little bubble with no idea whats going on around/behind them beyond their direct field of vision. i.e. coming up to a junction, stopping dead, sometimes over the line, and then turning to look.

I remember when my dad was teaching me to drive, any time he'd say to look left or check mirrors, etc, after I had looked, he'd ask what did I see. It really made a difference that it wasn't "Check for cars", it was a proper observant look.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

When I was learning to drive my Dad used to tell me -

Assume anybody you meet on the road is either blind, crazy, or drunk, or some combination of the three.

I carry that advice into both my driving and my bike riding to this day.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

Duckjob wrote: »

Assume everyone else on the road is either blind, crazy, or drunk, or some combination of the three.

hope for the best but prepare for the worst...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Duckjob wrote: »

Assume anybody you meet on the road is either blind, crazy, or drunk, or some combination of the three.

Driving instructor told me the same

• Registered Users Posts: 28,835 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

I remember when my dad was teaching me to drive, any time he'd say to look left or check mirrors, etc, after I had looked, he'd ask what did I see. It really made a difference that it wasn't "Check for cars", it was a proper observant look.

As part of advanced driver training, the driver has to give a running commentary on everything that is happening around them, every vehicle, every junction, every entrance and exit.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,129 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

not a near miss for someone in ringsend today - anyone know where in ringsend the sunday times office is?

https://twitter.com/marktigheST/status/1108318315536175109

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭tommythecat

not a near miss for someone in ringsend today - anyone know where in ringsend the sunday times office is?

https://twitter.com/marktigheST/status/1108318315536175109

Apparently it’s in the watermarque building on bridge street. Probably cyclist continuing from bridge street to rings end road and car took left onto south lotts road.
    Hope the guy will be ok.

4kwp South East facing PV System. 5.3kwh Weco battery. South Dublin City.

Here; https://goo.gl/maps/K4DVXGniVjK2

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭ChrisJ84

I've been following the forum for a while, but this mornings near miss was particularly bad so I thought I'd post it.

I was cycling down the main road through the centre of East Point, with a couple of cars in front of me stopped at the junction outside the big Enterprise Ireland building. One of the shuttle buses was turning to head out of the business park, so the car at the front of the queue starts to reverse to give him more room. Next car back, right in front of me, followed suit without looking and reversed straight into me. Thankfully, I was able to drag my front wheel out of his way, let out a roar, and bang my hand on the back of the car. Your man pauses for a moment, and then keeps reversing! He jammed my back wheel (thankfully undamaged) and only stopped when I banged on his drivers side window.

Thinking about it in the office after, the scary part is that even after we had a brief chat I don't think he realised that I had been behind him at all. He assumed I had just cycled up beside him and started banging on his window :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Mod Note

Helmet chat moved to the helmet thread

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057030568

ChrisJ84 wrote: »
    I've been following the forum for a while, but this mornings near miss was particularly bad so I thought I'd post it.

I was cycling down the main road through the centre of East Point, with a couple of cars in front of me stopped at the junction outside the big Enterprise Ireland building. One of the shuttle buses was turning to head out of the business park, so the car at the front of the queue starts to reverse to give him more room. Next car back, right in front of me, followed suit without looking and reversed straight into me. Thankfully, I was able to drag my front wheel out of his way, let out a roar, and bang my hand on the back of the car. Your man pauses for a moment, and then keeps reversing! He jammed my back wheel (thankfully undamaged) and only stopped when I banged on his drivers side window.

Thinking about it in the office after, the scary part is that even after we had a brief chat I don't think he realised that I had been behind him at all. He assumed I had just cycled up beside him and started banging on his window :rolleyes:
    Is he paying up for the damage?

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭ChrisJ84

Is he paying up for the damage?

Thankfully both me and the bike were undamaged. As I jumped out of his way my bike was angled over fairly far, and he just caught my back tyre between the road and the outer edge of his rear tyre. Difficult to explain clearly, but in short no damage done.

I shouldn't be shocked, but he didn't even look before he started to reverse up the road so he wouldn't have seen me even if I was in the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭TheJak01

Another fun reversing story from yesterday. A driver missed the left turn from the N11 onto The Rise yesterday. Rather than turning up Fosters avenue and going that way, or turning via the UCD flyover he decided that the best decision was to reverse back along the cycle/bus lane and then take the turn.

Reversing. On one of Dublin's busiest dual carriageways. I was far enough back that I decided to stop and let him complete the manoeuvre because he was blocking my onward progress. Sometimes you just can't make up the crap you see on the roads though. At least the other drivers seemed as surprised by the sheer stupidity of the move though.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

TheJak01 wrote: »
    Another fun reversing story from yesterday. A driver missed the left turn from the N11 onto The Rise yesterday. Rather than turning up Fosters avenue and going that way, or turning via the UCD flyover he decided that the best decision was to reverse back along the cycle/bus lane and then take the turn.

Reversing. On one of Dublin's busiest dual carriageways. I was far enough back that I decided to stop and let him complete the manoeuvre because he was blocking my onward progress. Sometimes you just can't make up the crap you see on the roads though. At least the other drivers seemed as surprised by the sheer stupidity of the move though.

N7 is really bad for this. Once had a car go from the 1st lane out to the third lane, back into the first lane all dangerously, missed his turn off and reversed. How there wasn't an accident I never know

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

If people phoned more of this stuff in we'd see less of it. Its a pain but only way driving standards improve.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Having to pass an IQ test before getting your driving licence would cut a lot of this non sense out virtually overnight.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Garden variety bus lane undertaking recklessness this evening in Castleknock. He was buried in his phone when I caught up with him.

First report that for sure!!!!!!!

Second tell me more about those overlays you've got going on there in the video!!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,229 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

5uspect wrote: »
    Garden variety bus lane undertaking recklessness this evening in Castleknock. He was buried in his phone when I caught up with him.

I absolutely hate this section. I'm usually fairly beat heading out of Phoenix Park, getting out of the park up to the Circle K always feels like an uphill battle for me. Unfortunately that bus lane is only 4-7pm Mon-Fri so people are free to use it for most of the day, definitely doesn't excuse the ridiculous close pass though.

Second tell me more about those overlays you've got going on there in the video!!!!!!

Garmin's VIRB free video editor can pull your GPX data and it's fairly easy to sync up manually.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

It’s a funny story. I was gifted a GoPro Hero 2018 which was an entry level model that could shoot 1080p@60 and very little else, not that I was complaining.

Turns out it’s actually a Hero 5 Black with a crippled firmware. Hacking the 5’s firmware onto the 2018 gives 4K video and more video options and GPS. Seemingly it was cheaper to sell the camera in this state than pay whatever licensing on sales of Hero5 stock. Once upgraded the GoPro app then allows you to place these overlays.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

That’s on my commute as well - That’s a ridiculous and reckless pass. Definitely report that.

The bus lane leading to the auburn avenue junction is regularly abused by motorists, so I use the right lane to get past the queue. Had a few close passes in that section you were on, mainly taxis, but I take this lane now. Only way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

And the great thing about taking the lane is that if someone comes behind roaring abuse at you, then you know taking the lane has been effective because you’ve just blocked an arsehole who would otherwise disregard your safety in a second if you had let them.

A competent driver would recognize that a safe overtake isn’t possible and would be content to follow behind

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

And it looks like, at that moment when you roared at him, the cyclist in front of you might have got spooked too as he nearly overbalanced. Scary though.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,651 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Guy in the bus lane this morning, he sped from Stillorgan down to the bottom of Fosters Avenue, overtaking me with about an inch to spare at The Rise. Goes straight through and tips easily north of 120 as he swings back into main traffic to avoid the UCD ramp.

This was only topped by the Heavy Goods Vehicle with Plant on the back in the middle of Bray town. I stayed behind as we were near a junction but traffic stopped so once I could see nowhere was moving I proceeded to overtake. There was a passenger with the window down, I presumed a spotter, and I could see him and the driver in the mirrors. Anyway, I need not have given so much credit, passenger was serene as they lay half unconscious, arm unfurled, out the window, and the driver was hunched over the steering wheel, intently staring and possibly playing with his phone, not a care in the world for either of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭tnegun

I'll start this by saying 99% of DB passes are perfect same with 99% of HGV drivers so I've no gripe with them. This guy started on the horn about 15 secs before the pass otherwise I'd probably of let it go as close and dangerous as it was, but then he then pulled in at the next stop 100m ahead! Got to work and submitted a SAR request under GDPR and it arrived today. I recon the mirror was inches from my head.

476070.png476069.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭tnegun

Missed one of the camera earlier jesus this was close.
    476082.png

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,129 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

obvious question would be - were dublin bus as forthcoming with what action was taken against the driver as they were with the imagery?

• Advertisement

It'd have to get to court before the union would even dream about throwing a member 'under the bus' I'd say. At best 'more training' or some other nonsense along those lines would be mentioned in response to this.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement