Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) NOTICE: YOU MAY SWAP EXAM GRIDS

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭BasedHobbes

Feel like I'm shouting into the void here, but can somebody please explain the difference between Humblot and Commission v Greece re: Art 110? The facts are almost the same, I don't see why the Court approved Commission v Greece but found Humblot to be discriminatory

Humblot breached Art 110 insofar as French cars at the time didn't have more than 16 cylinder engines, but many German cars did. The increase in cost was fivefold or something to that effect once an engine exceeded 16 cylinders in size, and so was found to be disproportionate.

However, a proportionate increase in taxation based objective considerations of cylinder size wouldn't have breached Article 110.

In Commission v Greece, the taxation was found to be proportionate and based on objective criteria. If you look at paragraphs 17 to 20 of that judgment, it sets out the differences between it and Humblot for the purposes of Art 110.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭sapphire309

Humblot breached Art 110 insofar as French cars at the time didn't have more than 16 cylinder engines, but many German cars did. The increase in cost was fivefold or something to that effect once an engine exceeded 16 cylinders in size, and so was found to be disproportionate.

However, a proportionate increase in taxation based objective considerations of cylinder size wouldn't have breached Article 110.

In Commission v Greece, the taxation was found to be proportionate and based on objective criteria. If you look at paragraphs 17 to 20 of that judgment, it sets out the differences between it and Humblot for the purposes of Art 110.

You're a star :D

You're a star :D

Any time! Best of luck tomorrow!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭Dliodoir2021

I’ve had food poisoning the last 5 days, mostly bed bound and only know fmg and direct effect well. Thought on my week off I’d learn the others (notes done but too sick to sit up). Should probably give it a shot anyway but feel like crap....

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭jus_me

I’ve had food poisoning the last 5 days, mostly bed bound and only know fmg and direct effect well. Thought on my week off I’d learn the others (notes done but too sick to sit up). Should probably give it a shot anyway but feel like crap....

I answered 3.5 and passed last time u actually never know!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭Dliodoir2021

jus_me wrote: »
    I answered 3.5 and passed last time u actually never know!!!

Thanks a mill! Stuck at it there and the stuff is prepared came back to me quite well. Hoping to get lucky with topics still!

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭holliek

Did anyone do q5 in contract? What did you discuss? Just need some piece of mind

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭nmurphy1441

holliek wrote: »
    Did anyone do q5 in contract? What did you discuss? Just need some piece of mind

I didn’t do it but I’d imagine is looking at express and implied terms and how they’re communicated in plain language. Have to mention the officious bystander test and the business efficiency test! That’s what I would have done!

• Registered Users Posts: 19 LawStudent2018

I didn’t do it but I’d imagine is looking at express and implied terms and how they’re communicated in plain language. Have to mention the officious bystander test and the business efficiency test! That’s what I would have done!

It's not to do with implied terms. Investors compensation scheme vs west brom building society is the test for interpretation of contracts.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭user115

EU was actually surprisingly ok... I think... for human rights I just said they were protected via Charter and basically just did an answer totally on Charter, hoping that is ok....:/ so surprised to see judicial review again!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Gunslinger92

Well done all on surviving another sitting!!

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Dsalmon91

Just wondering what came up on the EU paper?

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭nmurphy1441

It's not to do with implied terms. Investors compensation scheme vs west brom building society is the test for interpretation of contracts.

This is why I didn’t do the question 😂😂

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Supermax1988

Dsalmon91 wrote: »
    Just wondering what came up on the EU paper?

Just going from memory so order could be off:

1. Essay on Institutions
    2. Direct Effect/MS Liability PQ
    3. Judicial Review Essay
    4. FMG PQ on Art 34
    5. FM Workers Art 45 PQ
    6. Essay on Human Rights? (I barely skimmed that question so open to correction)
    7. Case Notes
    8. Mergers Essay

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭holliek

This is why I didn’t do the question 😂😂

Damn I wrote about implied and express terms!

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Lostudent

Maybe a premature question, but if you've passed what will (hopefully) be the last FE1 - what next? Do you need to contact the Law Society and request a PPC1 application pack or do they include whatever you need when you get your successful results? The Law Society website just refers to an application pack being available but doesn't indicate how or when you need to get this.

More importantly, what kind of owl delivers the acceptance letter?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

Hi, looking for some advice I'm thinking of sitting the FE1s, would it be worth my while doing an llm first? I'm working abroad at the moment and would have a chance to do an LMM in EU/international law, would it be worth while doing the LLM first and putting the FE1s off for an extra year

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭nimcdona

Hi if anyone has done any prep courses for the fe1's just wondering could you send me a message? Didn't do law so thinking i'll do a prep course for the next sitting Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Jennifermc91

Hi all,

Would someone be able to pm me with some advice about prep courses for the fe1 exams. Hoping to do my first sitting in the Autumn, my undergrad is in business as opposed to law so any advice would be much appreciated from this perspective as I feel like I am in the monitory! Thanks

Anyone else on edge waiting for their results? TC is due to start in May. Can’t believe this 6 week wait. Ridiculous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36 Jimdtug1

I presume i'm clutching at straws here but does anybody have any knowledge on whether the examiners look at the candidates examination profile as a whole when giving final results?
    I sat my final three this year - confident i passed two and am on the fence with the final one. Would an examiner have the ability to know that if he gave me 50% instead of 48% it would get me over the edge?

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭bigtophat13

Anyone else on edge waiting for their results? TC is due to start in May. Can’t believe this 6 week wait. Ridiculous.

I'm starting next week, if things are gone south May 3rd I have to pack my things up and leave :/ you have my sympathy and my empathy.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭bigtophat13

Jimdtug1 wrote: »
    I presume i'm clutching at straws here but does anybody have any knowledge on whether the examiners look at the candidates examination profile as a whole when giving final results?
    I sat my final three this year - confident i passed two and am on the fence with the final one. Would an examiner have the ability to know that if he gave me 50% instead of 48% it would get me over the edge?

I'm not sure if you're clutching at straws, I'm 4/4 so far and I'm confident of 3/4 this sitting but I'm certain one of them will fall between 45 and 55.

In the info sheets they refer to the exam board deciding if you've passed or not and the whole manner in which it is written suggests that there's a final meeting around a big table where they look at the results overall (which is hopeful nonsense I suppose) but like yourself I'm hoping there's some overall ability to look at your grades - perhaps if you've gotten 60 plus in 7 and 48 in your last bad day exam (everyone has them) they give you the bare 50. I think it'll depend on the examiner you fail with though.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 ahona

Hi all,

Would someone be able to pm me with some advice about prep courses for the fe1 exams. Hoping to do my first sitting in the Autumn, my undergrad is in business as opposed to law so any advice would be much appreciated from this perspective as I feel like I am in the monitory! Thanks
    I am also looking for advice on prep courses. Can you please message me if you get any replies? Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 26 ahona

*First Sitting in October*

Is it a terrible idea to sit for 5 papers in first sitting? I plan to enroll for prep courses, and study full-time from June. Am I being over ambitious?

Disclaimer: I have law degree from foreign university, and I am new to Irish legal system.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭jus_me

On average how many sitting did it take people to get the magic 3?

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Blazedup

ahona wrote:
    Is it a terrible idea to sit for 5 papers in first sitting? I plan to enroll for prep courses, and study full-time from June. Am I being over ambitious?

ahona wrote:
    Disclaimer: I have law degree from foreign university, and I am new to Irish legal system.

ahona wrote:
    *First Sitting in October*

Do four @ 12 weeks of which maybe 8 weeks full time for first sitting. 4 months full time is way too much time to assign. Claim job seekers when you study full time. Everyone does it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,159 ✭✭✭yournerd

jus_me wrote: »
    On average how many sitting did it take people to get the magic 3?

Max 2!

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Legal_Eagle_95

Literally in the exact same boat, and after that Company exam I have a feeling I won’t be starting :( Would be so annoyed if one exam stops me but honestly try and enjoy the downtime before the madness starts!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭lisac223

Does anyone know if you can definitely check the results online yourself or do you have to sign up to something for that? I have a login for the Law Society with my exam number and I know it's only the Oct 2018 "check my results" thing but when I log into that it says error (presumably bc this is my first time). Just wondering if I can safely presume it'll work for me when they're actually out or should I email them to check my account is activated or whatever? Will be away in May so I won't be able to get them by post :/

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement