Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) NOTICE: YOU MAY SWAP EXAM GRIDS

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭Leraf

lawlad101 wrote: »
    I've had to cut out so much

Offer and Acceptance
    Consideration
    Estoppel
    Terms
    Exemption clauses
    Consumer (barely)
    Duress
    Undue influence
    Misrepresentation
    Mistake
    Frustration
    Damages

I cut duress and undue and am only reading through damages
    I’m so wrecked I can’t take anything in

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭nmurphy1441

There were two very recent decisions regarding illegal contracts and champerty in the past 2 years. Investment funds funding litigation....

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭lawlad101

There were two very recent decisions regarding illegal contracts and champerty in the past 2 years. Investment funds funding litigation....

Whoops

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭nmurphy1441

Whoops

They mightn’t even come up but you’d never know! Persona Digital Telephony v Min for Public Expenditure 2017 & SPV Optimal Osus v HSBC International 2018. Both maintenance/champerty contacts, Irish courts don’t care for them. Might be nice just to glance over, pretty straight forward!

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭lawlad101

They mightn’t even come up but you’d never know! Persona Digital Telephony v Min for Public Expenditure 2017 & SPV Optimal Osus v HSBC International 2018. Both maintenance/champerty contacts, Irish courts don’t care for them. Might be nice just to glance over, pretty straight forward!

Thanks for this!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭LawGirl3434

Thanks for this!

Yeah personally wouldn’t stress on this - in the former Denham J literally said nothing she could do a matter for the oiteachtas if going to change

I think if illegality is going to come up it would be under statute, more meaty but just my opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 35 BemusedKettle

Yeah personally wouldn’t stress on this - in the former Denham J literally said nothing she could do a matter for the oiteachtas if going to change

I think if illegality is going to come up it would be under statute, more meaty but just my opinion

In Persona they seemed to say that champerty is illegal by virtue of statue, really really old statute. That confused me

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭LawGirl3434

In Persona they seemed to say that champerty is illegal by virtue of statue, really really old statute. That confused me

Have they nothing better to do ughhhh

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭sapphire309

Perhaps a really stupid question, but is it correct to refer to the 'CJEU' throughout the exam? Or the 'ECJ'? Obviously with the exception of in an institutions Q involving the courts or in a judicial review Q where you would need to distinguish

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Lovestolisten

I wonder 🀔 seen that proprietary estoppel didn’t come up in Equity would promissory be thrown into Contract ?
    I notice the examiners try to avoid overlaps

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭holliek

What are people learning regards consumer protection?

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Lovestolisten

holliek wrote: »
    What are people learning regards consumer protection?

On revision I notice it quite often seems to be a commercial transaction Q and based on Sec 14 of SOG

That’s just on my quick review but I only went back 5-6 papers

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭user115

That point was picked up in examiners reports he said not to worry he would assume they are interchangable, also said that about people using EEC provisions rather than TFEU, he accepts both and won't penalize
    Perhaps a really stupid question, but is it correct to refer to the 'CJEU' throughout the exam? Or the 'ECJ'? Obviously with the exception of in an institutions Q involving the courts or in a judicial review Q where you would need to distinguish

• Registered Users Posts: 18 jamesob123

EU

Hi guys,

What would be the best few cases to learn off for the case note question?

Really stuck for a last topic at this stage!

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭Wonderstruck

Shout out to the council for doing sewage works outside my house all night! Best of luck everyone!

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭kasey0123

Does anyone know how late the office opens to hand in legislation is it 1 or 1:30?

• Registered Users Posts: 47 starfishxxo

kasey0123 wrote: »
    Does anyone know how late the office opens to hand in legislation is it 1 or 1:30?

It's supposed to be 1pm, but in my experience they're often still there as late as 2!

Estoppel came up!!!!!! Thanks for the tip! Best of luck with EU! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭leavingcert17

Estoppel came up!!!!!! Thanks for the tip! Best of luck with EU! :)

What else came up?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Bbol

Does any know how tough the contract paper is marked? :)

• Advertisement

What else came up?

Hey sorry I'll post when im back home if no-one does before me I have hand cramps :p

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭sapphire309

Can somebody explain to me the position of student workers? I know in Grzelczyk that the court found that a Belgian student in the same position as the French student applicant would have been granted the subsistence allowance, and so this was found to be discriminatory on grounds of his nationality. But I also have in my notes that the case of Brown v Secretary of State for Scotland is authority for the fact that non-national student workers aren't entitled to full social advantages as a fully fledged worker under EU law.

Does this mean that if the non-national-student is working part-time through university, he won't be entitled to all the social and tax advantages of a non-national person (not a student), but that if he is not working at all and is simply attending uni, he will be entitled to student loans the same as a national-student?

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭Leraf

Bbol wrote: »

😭 need to know this too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭Sineaddh

Have to get EU done in one night?! What are my best topics? ;(

Can somebody explain to me the position of student workers? I know in Grzelczyk that the court found that a Belgian student in the same position as the French student applicant would have been granted the subsistence allowance, and so this was found to be discriminatory on grounds of his nationality. But I also have in my notes that the case of Brown v Secretary of State for Scotland is authority for the fact that non-national student workers aren't entitled to full social advantages as a fully fledged worker under EU law.

Does this mean that if the non-national-student is working part-time through university, he won't be entitled to all the social and tax advantages of a non-national person (not a student), but that if he is not working at all and is simply attending uni, he will be entitled to student loans the same as a national-student?

You are right about Grzelczyk they found it was discriminatory... in Browne the problem was that the student technically entered into university first, so first they must work THEN take up a qualification / enter uni... he only got the job offer as he was granted admission to uni, in my notes I just have beside it WORK MUST come first. Then studies. And you can benefit. But in Browne admission came first work after so no benefit

Sineaddh wrote: »
    Have to get EU done in one night?! What are my best topics? ;(

Direct effect and member state liability
    Free movement of goods
    Judicial review
    Institutions ( it’s basically in legislation)
    Citizenship and equality!

Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 15 xBell123

For EU I’ve got:

Institutions
    General principles
    Fundamental rights
    Direct effect
    MS liability
    FMG
    FMW
    Citizenship
    Equality
    Judicial review

Trying to decide whether I should learn Articles 101 and 102 OR preliminary reference and sources of law?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated ��

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭JCormac

For Contract today; the first part of Q1 was on Past Consideration?

I put Promissory Estoppel but it's not that, right?

• Advertisement

Leraf wrote: »
    😭 need to know this too

Praying both contract and criminal aren’t graded too tough!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement