Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor thread (part 6) *Read Mod Note in Post 1* Revised 13-01-19

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭eddie73

He wont retire just yet. I think that this is all part of a negotiation, but White is a formidable opponent when it comes to this sort of thing. It will be very interesting to see how this pans out.

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭ElBastardo1

Pighead wrote: »
    Fallon interview was recorded last week. Lot can happen in a week!

I get that, but if he was really announcing retirement you can only imagine the media presentation it would be, it wouldn't be a tweet as casual as that.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

The wording of that statement is interesting

I’ve decided to retire from the sport formally known as “Mixed Martial Art” today.

Also, not 's' at the end.

I think that he's venting about the politics and not being able to get a fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,493 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

eddie73 wrote: »
    He wont retire just yet. I think that this is all part of a negotiation, but White is a formidable opponent when it comes to this sort of thing. It will be very interesting to see how this pans out.

Dana isn't in a position to give him equity. He doesn't own any of it anymore. It also sets a terrible precedent for future negotiations. Naive from McGregor if thats what hes after.
    Boom_Bap wrote: »
    The wording of that statement is interesting

Also, not 's' at the end.

I think that he's venting about the politics and not being able to get a fight.

Thought that myself. Very oddly worded.

Shows how big a star he is when he can make instant global news with one ambiguously worded tweet. CNN, BBC etc all over it.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

The Nal wrote: »

Thought that myself. Very oddly worded.

Shows how big a star he is when he can make instant global news with one ambiguously worded tweet. CNN, BBC etc all over it.

And that's something that he can bring back to negotiations, look how one tweet from him can make things happen.

The last time this happened was in relation to the press run was it not? He's showing that he doesn't need a press run :)

• Advertisement

Well he's not the sharpest tool in the shed in fairness..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

UFC are just taking the power back, they have learned from their mistakes the last two and a bit years and letting some fighters get too much power. They DO NOT rely on him, despite what everyone says.

UFC flexing it's muscle now and McTapper having his toddler tantrum.

I now join my former partners on this venture, already in retirement.

Is he talking about the former owners of the UFC here saying that they were partners, the new owners aint?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,305 ✭✭✭robwen

Has Nate followed him into retirement yet..

• Registered Users Posts: 29,489 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    Is he talking about the former owners of the UFC here saying that they were partners, the new owners aint?

This was the only interesting bit to me, very specific thing to say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭magic_murph

Autecher wrote: »
    Conor's interview with Jimmy Fallon. He has also "retired" again, I wonder if he will get as much attention as the last time he "retired".

https://twitter.com/TheNotoriousMMA/status/1110410797925175296

Jimmy Fallon - what a insufferable clown of a man.

• Site Banned Posts: 101 ✭✭Sabrebo

He's being a plank thinking he deserves equity, he deserves a good PPV percentage, that's it. He didn't build the company or invest in so he should be told to fook off.

Jimmy Fallon - what a insufferable clown of a man.

From 3 mins 20

• Registered Users Posts: 5,437 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

The regurgitating of stories is getting beyond silly, I mean they have just done the sick kid to America thing

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

• Registered Users Posts: 29,489 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

MUR MUR MUR MUR

• Registered Users Posts: 54,617 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Conor's efforts at a U.S. accent needs a little attention me thinks...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭upinsmoke

Finn Balor tweeted see you at Wrestlemania.

Probably booked in for that in two weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 17,970 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Go away McGregor.

White is a tough operator, you won't pull one on him.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,043 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

TheNal wrote:
    Dana isn't in a position to give him equity. He doesn't own any of it anymore.
    The $4b sale was for c.80% of Zuffa/UFC. All the previous owners retained some ownership.
    A year later, there was another investment, that bought out the Ferdittas and the Abu Dhabi lads fully. But afaik Dana only diluted his share. So he still has a small piece of the pie.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,970 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Mellor wrote: »
    The $4b sale was for c.80% of Zuffa/UFC. All the previous owners retained some ownership.
    A year later, there was another investment, that bought out the Ferdittas and the Abu Dhabi lads fully. But afaik Dana only diluted his share. So he still has a small piece of the pie.

White had 9% he sold it, he now gets 9% of the profits plus $20m salary. Not too shabby

rob316 wrote: »
    White had 9% he sold it, he now gets 9% of the profits plus $20m salary. Not too shabby

Deserves it to.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,043 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

rob316 wrote:
    He didn't sell it all afaik.
    Before the sale he had 9%. Ferdittas had 81%, and Abu Dhabi had 10%.
    After the sale, Ferdittas had 7%, Abu Dhabi still had 10%. And Dana had "something", it wasn't disclosed afaik.
    Not saying it was still his full 9%, only a percent or two.

And, yeah he got a savage deal with the profit share. He'd be mad to get out.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,461 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Lads a reminder of the charter - goes without saying it needs to be followed - https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055878194

Discuss the story in an adult manner and let's not descend the forum into nonsense, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,491 ✭✭✭VW 1

Good to see that Ali logged on to the correct twitter account today.

Also, I would imagine McGregor is trying to negotiate a far larger sum to fight now than previously due to the new deal with ESPN and cutting out the middle man cable provider. The PPV price is lower for UFC now, but the final share of the purchase price they receive is more.

If they are making more cash off each event, you can be sure McGregor is going to want a pro rata increase in his fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭RoryMac

robwen wrote: »
    Has Nate followed him into retirement yet..

I took the second line of McGregor's statement to be aimed at Nate who has been calling everyone out but not fighting
    I now join my former partners on this venture, already in retirement.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭BigMo1

RoryMac wrote: »
    I took the second line of McGregor's statement to be aimed at Nate who has been calling everyone out but not fighting

I read it as The Fertitta's.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Obviously he's not actually retiring, but a (perhaps surprisingly) good, fair and accurate summary of his career thus far from RTE:

https://www.rte.ie/sport/mma/2019/0326/1038614-how-conor-mcgregor-conquered-the-world/

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭eddie73

Well he's not the sharpest tool in the shed in fairness..

Thats a fairly crazy statement given the amount of money and publicity McGregor has achieved in his short UFC career and outside it too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,293 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Bit of a **** way to retire if he has.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement