Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor thread (part 6) *Read Mod Note in Post 1* Revised 13-01-19

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

goon_magee wrote: »
    I agree, McGregor could fight Khabib ten times over and that fight goes the same way every time. The fight would still do big numbers but I don't think it has anywhere near the appeal second time round.

Yep. Reason Diaz 2 did so well was because conor was beating him easily infill he ran out of steam.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,148 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Pussyhands wrote: »
    You don't want to see the best fighters fighting each other?

If it's an even fight it doesn't say much for McGregor that he couldn't beat the 13th best fighter in the division easily.

I want to see good match ups. And I know McG v Diaz is a great match up already as we've seen it twice already.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

CMOD:

Just going to reiterate what was already said about what is on topic or off topic.

Feedback thread is here:
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057103404

Please avail of it. We'll take all reasonable views on board.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

MrStuffins wrote: »
    I want to see good match ups. And I know McG v Diaz is a great match up already as we've seen it twice already.

Just too risky, so we aren't going to see it until McGrager gets at least two more losses under his belt.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,043 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Is it 24 people own the company? So the company is SHARED between 24 people. If one of the 24 sold their SHARE the may get more or less than they paid for their SHARE in the company. Hes being pedantic and you're agreeing with him just for the sake of disagreeing with me
    If the company were split into 24 independent shares, that owners could sell. That’s maybe that’s how it would work. But that's not how the UFC is owned.

The 24 invested money in the parent company. They don’t own a 1/24th share. If McGregor retires, and Donny Wahlberg wants to buy in. WME could easily tell him the prices is still whatever Mark Wahlberg paid in 2016 (for example).
    There's no obligation to track market value. That's was my point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,043 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Paully D wrote: »
    Who is not booked in the top 10 at the moment?
    Lee? Gathje?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

On the trilogy fight, he made a few remarks about it that weren't included in the first posting of this clip (from wherever the hell he was).

On the trilogy fight, he made a few remarks about it that weren't included in the first posting of this clip (from wherever the hell he was).

Meh, he's just out there floating possibilities on potential revenue streams on his wind down to fight retirement.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,437 ✭✭✭The Rooster

Mellor wrote: »
    If the company were split into 24 independent shares, that owners could sell. That’s maybe that’s how it would work. But that's not how the UFC is owned.

The 24 invested money in the parent company. They don’t own a 1/24th share. If McGregor retires, and Donny Wahlberg wants to buy in. WME could easily tell him the prices is still whatever Mark Wahlberg paid in 2016 (for example).
    There's no obligation to track market value. That's was my point.
    That’s a tad simplistic Mellor
    If you own 1/24th of the parent company and all the parent company owns is the UFC, then you own 1/24th of the UFC. And selling your share in the parent company is the effectively selling your share in the UFC.

McGregor leaving would of course impact on the value of the shares. But like owning shares in a public company or a house, you don’t have to sell when the value is low. And if you do want to sell, maybe you can convince a purchaser that the value is higher than normal valuation metrics would imply. The value is whatever a willing buyer and willing seller decide it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭pastorbarrett

Effects wrote: »
    Meh, he's just out there floating possibilities on potential revenue streams on his wind down to fight retirement.

Perhaps true. Though personally I've no problem with him not going against a top five for his next fight. I'm sure business-wise the UFC think similar, despite the main-eventing disagreement.

I think his trajectory should be something like:

A favourable match-up to get a W (though to be fair, there's not many gimme's at '55).

Winner of Dustin/Max all going well.

Khabib if he can pull off above.

Diaz and out.

Any L's en route and there's fair argument he should call it a day (Diaz excepting, that's an inevitable fight). But what do I know...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

That’s a tad simplistic Mellor
    If you own 1/24th of the parent company and all the parent company owns is the UFC, then you own 1/24th of the UFC. And selling your share in the parent company is the effectively selling your share in the UFC.

McGregor leaving would of course impact on the value of the shares. But like owning shares in a public company or a house, you don’t have to sell when the value is low. And if you do want to sell, maybe you can convince a purchaser that the value is higher than normal valuation metrics would imply. The value is whatever a willing buyer and willing seller decide it is.

The point is that they don't each own 1/24th of the company. The fact 24 people have ownership rights does not imply each of those ownership rights is equal. Ever hear the phrase "minority owner" used in American sports?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Autecher

Just to say all this talk about shares and shareholders is exactly the conversation I wanted to happen when I posted that clip.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

He's unproven at LW. Beaten and lost to a journeyman and lost easily to the champ.

Alvarez was a false champion imo.

Just to say all this talk about shares and shareholders is exactly the conversation I wanted to happen when I posted that clip.

He's unproven at LW. Beaten and lost to a journeyman and lost easily to the champ.

He has only had 2 fights at lightweight in the UFC.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Autecher wrote: »

The Diaz fights were both lightweight fights without a cut.

Pretending otherwise is a deliberately ignorant. Neither of them are welterweights.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Pretending otherwise is a deliberately ignorant. Neither of them are welterweights.
    The amount of people I see saying they were welterweight fights..

As you said, lightweight fights without the cut. anyone with any sort of cop on understands that.

Their natural weight may be welterweight, but definitely not their fighting weight. They'd both be massacred at welterweight.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭RoryMac

Perhaps true. Though personally I've no problem with him not going against a top five for his next fight. I'm sure business-wise the UFC think similar, despite the main-eventing disagreement.

I think his trajectory should be something like:

A favourable match-up to get a W (though to be fair, there's not many gimme's at '55).

Winner of Dustin/Max all going well.

Khabib if he can pull off above.

Diaz and out.

Any L's en route and there's fair argument he should call it a day (Diaz excepting, that's an inevitable fight). But what do I know...

How long can Diaz stay as an option if he doesn't fight, surely Diaz needs to get a fight under his belt to stay relevant if McGregor fights someone else?

I know, I wish weight cutting was gone altogether but they fought at welterweight. It's not deliberate ignorance it's fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

I know, I wish weight cutting was gone altogether but they fought at welterweight. It's not deliberate ignorance it's fact.
    Not really, he would have been the same weight when he was fighting Alvarez and Khabib in his lightweight fights, after re-hydrating.

Just because they were billed as welterweight, most guys fighting in that division will weigh in or around the 200lb mark come fight night,does that make the bouts light heavyweight?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭Jamiekelly

Alvarez beat Dos Anjos who was the lightweight champion, calling him a fake champion is pretty stupid by any rationalization.

Are you on the mcgregor powder program by any chance? Because you can't have been sober posting that ;). They may not be welterweights but at that fight they were welterweights. Calling it a lightweight fight without a cut is actually deliberately ignorant.
    Tazzimus wrote: »

As you said, lightweight fights without the cut. anyone with any sort of cop on understands that.

Their natural weight may be welterweight, but definitely not their fighting weight. They'd both be massacred at welterweight.

Their fighting weight on the night is all that matters really. The difference between fighting at 155 and 170 is nearly 10% in total weight gain, not exactly incidental in MMA considering how McGregor looks on the scale at 145 compared to 155.

The point is that they don't each own 1/24th of the company.

What percentage does Sly Stalone own?

Coner has never defendded a belt to, don't forget that.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,049 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I never knew that. People should point that out more often.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Pretty incredible. No one can ever say he is one of the greatest if he doesn't defend a title.

I never knew that. People should point that out more often.

Yeah, and not just in his pro days with the UFC. When he was an amature with Cage Warriors he didn't defend those belts either. I think a lot of that was down to plumbing work commitments though.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,461 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

The point is that they don't each own 1/24th of the company. The fact 24 people have ownership rights does not imply each of those ownership rights is equal. Ever hear the phrase "minority owner" used in American sports?

This. For starters, WME/IMG bought the company for $4billion. It then offered some celeb clients the chance to invest with a minimum buy amount of 250k. Each one did not invest the same amount of money, therefore they do not all own the same amount of equal shares and the sum of their share amounts does not equal the total buyout of $4billion either. Stallone for example is reported to have invested $40m, Serena Williams, on the other hand, is reported to have invested $75m and Anthony Kiedis $17m.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,148 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Then your "o" is b*llocks.

He knocked out the incumbent. Doesn't get any more "Champion" than that!

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭pastorbarrett

Nate might not have been the fabled 200lb's he was claimed to be for that second fight, but he was bigger than he would have been for a 155 cut.

• Advertisement

Not really, he would have been the same weight when he was fighting Alvarez and Khabib in his lightweight fights, after re-hydrating.

Just because they were billed as welterweight, most guys fighting in that division will weigh in or around the 200lb mark come fight night,does that make the bouts light heavyweight?
    Yes I agree with you but that is my point. Weight cutting is the thing about this sport I hate the most! If Conor & Nate were 170 or close enough to it in the cage for the first fight then how is that not a welterweight fight? It's more welterweight than Woodley v Till which could at the very least been a middleweight fight (just in terms of their actual weights on fight night not what it was labelled as). I understand you and EagererBeaver's point and agree to an extent but not cutting lots of weight would in an ideal world be encouraged and not thought of as a crazy thing to not do.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement