Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor thread (part 6) *Read Mod Note in Post 1* Revised 13-01-19

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭pleas advice

RoryMac wrote: »
    Doubt anyone apart from Joe.ie think he's actually retiring

had a mention on Sky News about two minutes ago there

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

He’ll fight in July during International Fight Week FFS.

The likes of Sky News covering it this morning :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭ASOT

I hope the bookies do odds on him fighting again this year, I got 3/1 after the thanks for the cheese tweet.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Tbh feels like retired after winning lw belt, no news here move on.
    Seen jimmy fallon show had conor as ufc champion from 2015 to 2018 which sounds amazing if you ignore fact that cause they took so long to strip him of titles

sugarman wrote: »
    Non story, he's just throwing his toys out of the pram again because he can't get the fight he wants.

I doubt hes throwing his toys out if the pram when he was on Jimmy Fallon last night saying he's trying to fight in July, from one tweet he got onto every major mma site & sky sports. Attention seeking tweet but a smart tweet as it's worked.

• Advertisement

Heres the Fallon bit from last night

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 262 ✭✭TomasMacR

. He could do with taking some PR lessons from Katie Taylor about how to carry oneself.

While I agree she’s very humble and carries herself well she’s excruciatingly painful to listen to with that voice and all the god squad stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

RoryMac wrote: »
    Doubt anyone apart from Joe.ie think he's actually retiring

As if that would stop them flooding the internet with "insightful content" about it all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

I'm still confused to whether McGregor is a total idiot based on past occurrences or a genius because the timing of the tweet is pure genius. The attention it has grabbed across the globe really showing Dana his value. Negotiating tactic imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,619 ✭✭✭✭walshb

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    I'm still confused to whether McGregor is a total idiot based on past occurrences or a genius because the timing of the tweet is pure genius. The attention it has grabbed across the globe really showing Dana his value. Negotiating tactic imo.

A genius because of the timing of a tweet?

Jeez, standards really have slipped..

• Advertisement

https://twitter.com/TheNotoriousMMA/status/722492455732584448

His negotiations arent going as planned so he impulsively jumps on twitter announcing his retirement as though it's a crafty negoatiating tactic. Again.

How long is this one going to last? This sh*t gets annoying real fast. He's like a broken record. Amazing to think he seemed witty or original once upon a time.

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭ElBastardo1

https://twitter.com/TheNotoriousMMA/status/722492455732584448

His negotiations arent going as planned so he impulsively jumps on twitter announcing his retirement as though it's a crafty negoatiating tactic. Again.

How long is this one going to last? This sh*t gets annoying real fast. He's like a broken record. Amazing to think he seemed witty or original once upon a time.

When i heard it on the way into work this morning I just knew it was BS. His knee is meant to be ****ked again or has never really recovered, that's the only thing that could make him retire. He's on Fallon saying he's ready to go and an hour later is retiring. Its boring as fk now. The only place he is still being taken seriously is in the US, they are blind to his stick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Autecher

The only place he is still being taken seriously is in the US, they are blind to his stick.
    Take a look at the Conor McGregor Retires!! thread in After Hours, plenty of Irish people have fallen for it too.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057967682

• Registered Users Posts: 20,539 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

All nonsense ....until he officially pulls out of the testing pool then it will be serious ,

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭ElBastardo1

All nonsense ....until he officially pulls out of the testing pool then it will be serious ,

Knowing how Novitsky works he'd get around that very easily.
    He could pull of of the testing pool and still fight within a few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 BigPoppaDump

TomasMacR wrote: »
    While I agree she’s very humble and carries herself well she’s excruciatingly painful to listen to with that voice and all the god squad stuff.

Give me a god squad member over a wannabe inner city gangster any day of the week. Katie has a humility and graciousness about her that CMG could never hope to have. His advocates are quick to blame begrudgery when Irish people question or criticise him but it's nothing to do with begrudgery, it centres around someone acting like an utter knob end then getting their arse handed to them, people, myself included, like to see the knob heads getting humiliated, in all walks of life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Autecher

dave1982 wrote: »
    Dana is in on the joke or calling his bluff.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,182 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

When i heard it on the way into work this morning I just knew it was BS. His knee is meant to be ****ked again or has never really recovered, that's the only thing that could make him retire. He's on Fallon saying he's ready to go and an hour later is retiring. Its boring as fk now. The only place he is still being taken seriously is in the US, they are blind to his stick.
    Fallon interview was recorded last week. Lot can happen in a week!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,539 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Autecher wrote: »
    Dana is in on the joke or calling his bluff.

100% Dana calling his bluff,

The UFC can not afford to lose him and GSP within weeks,

No Rhonda, No GSP, No Brock , No COnor,

Not a fan but They need to Super stars ,

They have no big draws at the moment,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,494 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Obviously looking for equity for a few fights. He won't get it. Dana knows his heart isn't in it anymore and hes made most of the money he can from him.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,489 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

100% Dana calling his bluff,

They have no big draws at the moment,

tenor.gif?itemid=9087412

The Nal wrote: »
    Obviously looking for equity for a few fights. He won't get it. Dana knows his heart isn't in it anymore and hes made most of the money he can from him.

called his bluff.

maybe he'll be back but why would they give him equity when he's on the way out as an actual fighter.

glasso wrote: »
    called his bluff.

maybe he'll be back but why would they give him equity when he's on the way out as an actual fighter.

Yup. Last time he "retired" he fought Diaz and Alvarez shortly after. If anything its a sign that hes ready to go back into training camp.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

Shame if true but was always on the cards, 1 mma fight in 3 yrs and his performance there points to him not being 100% committed ......the Mayweather gig was his downfall, could have been so much more

He's well on the way to being a Nial Horan type celebrity pain in the arse (and I've never known who he is).........not interested

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

.....it centres around someone acting like an utter knob end then getting their arse handed to them, people, myself included, like to see the knob heads getting humiliated, in all walks of life.

And they’ll pay good money to see it happen, a lot of which goes straight back into McGregor’s pocket, so who’s really winning at the end of the day?

Conor could have stuck to being another of the many fighters in the UFC that no-one really cares about and made less than €100,000 per fight like Katie. I really respect and like watching Katie but let’s be honest, there’s a very small percentage of people who actually care. If someone wasn’t a follower of hers they wouldn’t have even known she was fighting two weeks ago because it barely got a mention. Conor goes for a shíte and it’s all over every medium going.

Conor is one of the biggest names and highest earners in the whole of sports worldwide. What he does clearly works, whether people like him or not.

people, myself included, like to see the knob heads getting humiliated, in all walks of life.

Which is exactly what he wants. Its what Chris Eubank wanted. What Naseem wanted. What Ali wanted. Go back as far as Jack Johnson who had racists queuing around the block to pay to see him get beaten.

"I hate him so much, whens his next fight, I'm paying to see him get beaten".

WWE built its entire company on this exact strategy.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

If it is a play by Conor, hes not in as strong as position as he once was to "retire" and make demands.

His recent win/loss record suggests as much.

There is however no doubting hes still a massive draw and at the end of the day that matters more to Dana than anything else.

I'm assuming Conor wants a #1 contender fight or title fight off the bat and maybe its not coming so hes throw the toys out of the pram, either way, it would be foolish to think he wont end up back in the octagon for another few fights.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭BigMo1

Apparently this is all due to the UFC wanting to put him as co-main in July. Incredibly short-sighted from the UFC if that is really the case.

• Advertisement

GavRedKing wrote: »
    If it is a play by Conor, hes not in as strong as position as he once was to "retire" and make demands.

His recent win/loss record suggests as much.

There is however no doubting hes still a massive draw and at the end of the day that matters more to Dana than anything else.

I'm assuming Conor wants a #1 contender fight or title fight off the bat and maybe its not coming so hes throw the toys out of the pram, either way, it would be foolish to think he wont end up back in the octagon for another few fights.

Put it this way:

Khabib vs Iaquinta did 350k PPV buys.

Khabib vs McGregor did 2.4 million PPV buys 5 months later. The biggest fight in MMA history. By a mile. The next McGregor fight may get close to 3m PPV buys.

So I see his point.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement