Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parkrun..

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,330 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

vargoo wrote: »
    hahaha, yup, this is what scares me. How did you send people the wrong way??

I was once marshalling in Collins directing people to their right (my left). Next thing a guy leaves the group he is in and runs directly towards me. Assuming he was a random jogger I stepped out of his way and went about the business of directing runners. 12 minutes later he arrives back on lap 2 and says 'this way is it?'

Another time I was timekeeping and managed to miss the 2nd finisher.

Tail walker is a good volunteer role that you couldn't possibly screw up ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭Lazare

A few months ago doing timekeeper, pressed the button when the first guy went through. Heard the beep.

Looked down about 30 seconds later and I was still at zero. Beep I heard was the other volunteer's.

Fooked it up from the get go. May as well have not shown up.

Cheered everyone home though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭ger664

vargoo wrote: »
    hahaha, yup, this is what scares me. How did you send people the wrong way??

Our run has a junction where you go right on the first lap and left on the second. Front runners tend to catch the walkers at this point. So here I was two arms out stretched runners to (my) right walkers to ( my) left where the word my was omitted. :eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭chinguetti

ger664 wrote: »
    Celebrating 4 Years and 200 Runs tomorrow in Lees Road. All welcome there will be cake

Congrats Ger and hope the cake is nice. Lovely course down there and hope its not as wet as the morning I did it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭snailsong

Lizzy Lee ran 16:48 in Westport this morning. A new Irish women's record. Paced by a lad from Ballina.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭Wottle

Marlay Parkrun this morning and the team were amazing, made our run group feel very welcome, thanks to all the volunteers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭BeardySi

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    I was once marshalling in Collins directing people to their right (my left). Next thing a guy leaves the group he is in and runs directly towards me. Assuming he was a random jogger I stepped out of his way and went about the business of directing runners. 12 minutes later he arrives back on lap 2 and says 'this way is it?'

Every flipping time...

When marshalling, my usual spot is at a crossroads - the run goes straight ahead, left leaves the park and right crosses the park.

First lap is fine - plenty of runners together, second lap usually the same. Third is where folks take a wrong turn, but by then I've lost track of their laps and assume they're just jogging home... Reactions when they realise range from sheepish grins, to a grumpy "you could have told me".

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

Thinking of doing a bit of parkrun tourism tomorrow. Has anyone run Newcastle West before and what's it like? I'm struggling a little bit in making sense of the course map.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Pawwed Rig wrote: »

Another time I was timekeeping and managed to miss the 2nd finisher.

Tail walker is a good volunteer role that you couldn't possibly screw up ;)

First time I ran in Father Collins I made a balls of it and ended up doing 5.95km lol

If anyone is running in Father Collins tomorrow keep an eye out for the final run of a C25k group I've been a mentor on this last eight weeks (me and another boardsie here).

When we started the group the first run was just 60 secs, followed by 90 sec walk for 20 minutes and it nearly killed them lol.. Just eight short weeks later they're legitimate 5k runners and moral is through the roof.

Father Collins gave us a little write up on their facebook page

If you're running Fr Collins tomorrow sure give us an aul cheers :D

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭eve

Johnstown for me this morning. The wind was trying to knock us side ways on each lap and very tough on an exposed course. Well done to the volunteers on a very wet this morning. And the spread of cake and biscuits afterwards help too!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭KAGY

Had to run a modified course in Longford as the Camlin was in flood. Tiptoed through be first few puddles then just ploughed through the others. Got lucky and the rain stopped for most of it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,329 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

If you're doing the alphabet challenge and need the Z, head to Poland...

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭vargoo

Nice couple together.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,329 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

pc11 wrote: »
    I'd like to post a random plug for a plucky little Parkrun in Treviso in Italy which I've run once. They've had 53 runs but usually only get 10-20 runners. Honestly I'm not sure how they keep going! They could really so with some support. It seems like they get a few Brits over for weekends but the numbers are still so low.

So, perhaps people would consider doing it some time - there are flights direct from Dublin to Treviso which is a lovely little walled city. It has a Pro14 rugby team so the Irish provinces play there regularly as well.

You could easily pop over for a weekend and do some shopping and eating and parkrunning! I hope to get back there sometime soon. It's a flat run through a forest just outside the old city.

http://www.parkrun.it/treviso/

Considering this, or more so Sicily, if anyone here has done one that down that direction at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭scheister

pc11 wrote: »
    I'd like to post a random plug for a plucky little Parkrun in Treviso in Italy which I've run once. They've had 53 runs but usually only get 10-20 runners. Honestly I'm not sure how they keep going! They could really so with some support. It seems like they get a few Brits over for weekends but the numbers are still so low.

So, perhaps people would consider doing it some time - there are flights direct from Dublin to Treviso which is a lovely little walled city. It has a Pro14 rugby team so the Irish provinces play there regularly as well.

You could easily pop over for a weekend and do some shopping and eating and parkrunning! I hope to get back there sometime soon. It's a flat run through a forest just outside the old city.

http://www.parkrun.it/treviso/

this would be an interesting one all right looks like fly in on the Thursday fly home on the Saturday evening. Have the friday to be a tourist.

There's also Etna which I'd say is quite scenic. http://www.parkrun.it/etna/

• Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭Duzzie

Gorey parkrun is being taken over by Croghan Athletics Club this Saturday. We will have pacers doing 20, 25, 30, 35 and 40 minute time slots. There is also a rumour of cake.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

What's Poolbeg like congestion wise with running back along the route you came from? Thinking of mixing up a long run Saturday and doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭crisco10

What's Poolbeg like congestion wise with running back along the route you came from? Thinking of mixing up a long run Saturday and doing it.

I found it grand. The out and back section comes at halfway and with the a hill just before the turnaround so people are naturally quite spread at that stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭scheister

Website for Royal Canal Kilcock parkrun is now live http://www.parkrun.ie/royalcanalkilcock/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

scheister wrote: »
    Website for Royal Canal Kilcock parkrun is now live http://www.parkrun.ie/royalcanalkilcock/

That's presumably a completely flat course? Happy days, might check it out when my times come back down a bit and I'm chasing a PB again.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,849 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

How does Gorey and Avondale House Parkrun compare to each other?

• Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭Duzzie

How does Gorey and Avondale House Parkrun compare to each other?

Gorey is a flat 5 lap course on tarmac footpaths. Avondale is much hilllier and mostly on forrest trails. Very different courses

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

That's presumably a completely flat course? Happy days, might check it out when my times come back down a bit and I'm chasing a PB again.

The C25k mentor role knocked your pace too?.

Try as I might over the last eight weeks mentoring the role defo knocked me back a few minutes over a parkrun time, but well worth it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭ger664

No parkrun in Lees Road tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭BeardySi

Lovely morning, Queens today and the wee girl's wants Ormeau juniors tomorrow. Just happy to have a running day that isn't wet wet wet...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Klonker

I was wondering why I didn't get my results from today's run so went on to site to check. Turns out I picked up partners barcode :D

Could I get them to change it to mine of I give them my name? Don't want to have my partners PB messed up because of this. Plus it was a PB for me too so wouldn't long getting it added :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

Klonker wrote: »
    Could I get them to change it to mine of I give them my name? Don't want to have my partners PB messed up because of this. Plus it was a PB for me too so wouldn't long getting it added :D
    Sure email them and ask. They may or may not. They probably will change it as it's straightforward enough to do. Obviously provide all the details - both barcodes, names, finish position etc. The easier you make it then the more likely it will get done.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,128 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Griffeen this morning. No wind! Bliss. Sub 30 again. My son ran his first one. I didn't see him shortly after the start. :rolleyes: At least he didn't lap me. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,330 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

DeepBlue wrote: »
    Sure email them and ask. They may or may not. They probably will change it as it's straightforward enough to do. Obviously provide all the details - both barcodes, names, finish position etc. The easier you make it then the more likely it will get done.

An offer to volunteer as a bribe often works wonders ;)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement