Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parkrun..

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Plan on going to one of these on Saturday. Is it just the barcode I need? I don't need to pay anything?

As others have said its a completely free run. Register at parkrun.ie, you'll get a confirmation email with your bar code. Print it out, the scanners can't scan the code from a phone screen (some people download the bar code to their phones, but it won't work, print out a hard copy).

After that enjoy your first parkrun.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,773 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

Going to ennis on saturday, any one recommend a good parkrun enroute? I do have to be in ennis by 11 so nothing too far out of the way, thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

Nuttzz wrote: »
    Going to ennis on saturday, any one recommend a good parkrun enroute? I do have to be in ennis by 11 so nothing too far out of the way, thanks :)

Where are you going to Ennis from? Oranmore in Galway is not too far off the Dublin/Galway motorway if you are coming that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,773 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

Sorry yes Dublin (typical Dub assuming its the centre of the world :D)

You could always go straight to Ennis and do Lees road parkrun if you don’t want to stop in Galway etc.

• Advertisement

Sorry yes Dublin (typical Dub assuming its the centre of the world :D)

I thought Cork was the centre ;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,327 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Lee's Road is my favourite one in that area. Not the easiest course but a nice wooded route.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭denis b

Try Clarisford in Killaloe. Leave the M7 at J27 and head for Killaloe. Cross the historic multi arched bridge over the Shannon and turn left for the park. Nice views and jump into The Wood Brothers Cafe (seriously hip but v good) for post race munchies. Just a half hour handy scenic drive from there to Ennis through Tuamgraney and Bodyke to Ennis.

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Seannew1

KJ wrote: »
    I do Dundalk pretty much every week. It's not a great course but it's super friendly and great fun. Oldbridge isn't great in my opinion. Rostrevor is definitely picturesque but has 2 tough hills twice. Donabate and Ardgillan are both good and on the way.

I'm off to Leeds for the weekend so I'm planning on doing Woodhouse Moor.

Why not for Oldbridge?? Interested to hear as itt's my favourite one!

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Seannew1

Bananaleaf wrote: »
    Anyone ever done Dundalk? I'm heading to Newry on Sat and was going to do it on the way. Or, if anyone can recommend a more picturesque parkrun en route? Coming from Maynooth.

Do Oldbridge! If you are coming from Maynooth are you going via motorway or Ratoath/Slane? If either, then Oldbridge is most picteresque and a full course!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Bravestaar

Vandaleur in Kilrush is really nice also. Lees Road is good also but tough.

I'm down in ennis myself but I'm thinking of doing a different one such as Limerick.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,437 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

http://blog.parkrun.com/uk/2019/04/03/the-virtual-volunteer-app/
    I see on the parkrun blog that there is now an app that volunteers can use to scan barcodes and record times. Germany and Japan use this instead of current hardware. Looks much easier and cheaper too. Have any parkruns in Ireland tried it?

The short answer is yes.

But I’m sort of interested in why you’re asking - have you identified a problem you think it solves?

For what it’s worth I think the phone scanner is far superior to its old-school countertpart. No comparison. There’s no doubt in my mind that this will be the standard ‘kit’ for new parkruns soon (if it isn’t already).

Fits the zeitgeist too - volunteers, bring your own gear. :rolleyes:

The important thing is that it works. Codes will scan. Results will issue. Volunteer rosters will continue to be sparse.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,323 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Last time I was at parkrun one of the scanners was unknowingly pressing the reset button each time. File this under glitches happen, it's parkrun. Hopefully the app will help.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 runnomnom

I know that the app is the future of parkrun but it presents challenges for event teams. At the moment if someone offers to volunteer, I can just say "Yes - see you on Saturday at 9:15" but in the world of the app I have to ask them:

1) if they have a compatible phone
    2) can they install the app
    3) can they make sure it's charged for Saturday morning
    4) will they be able to put their phone in flight mode
    5) do they mind using it in the rain if the weather is bad
    6) once parkrun is over can they email me the file the app has produced

The other option event teams have is to source a cheap, compatible phone and keep that with the equipment but this adds hassle and cost to the event team. parkrun's beauty has always been its simplicity and I think the app makes life a little more complicated for event teams and volunteers.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,327 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I have done all four and in order of preference I would rank them as;
    1. Lee's Road
    2. Mungret
    3. Clarisford
    4. UL

Mungret is the toughest of them.
    Clarisford is 4 laps and I didn't really enjoy it. Most likely because I was sick at the time and struggled a lot. Next time I am down that way I plan to do Clarisford again just so my time looks a bit more normal in comparison to my other times :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

runnomnom wrote: »
    I know that the app is the future of parkrun but it presents challenges for event teams. At the moment if someone offers to volunteer, I can just say "Yes - see you on Saturday at 9:15" but in the world of the app I have to ask them:

1) if they have a compatible phone
    2) can they install the app
    3) can they make sure it's charged for Saturday morning
    4) will they be able to put their phone in flight mode
    5) do they mind using it in the rain if the weather is bad
    6) once parkrun is over can they email me the file the app has produced

The other option event teams have is to source a cheap, compatible phone and keep that with the equipment but this adds hassle and cost to the event team. parkrun's beauty has always been its simplicity and I think the app makes life a little more complicated for event teams and volunteers.
    Put them as a marshal, finish token, token support or tail walker if their that difficult. You don't need many for timing and scanning who can you a phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,149 ✭✭✭plodder

Timing wise, Mungret is just off the Limerick bypass and would have you in Ennis by 11. Don't know the course though.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Good jib!

@Nuttzz

I'd recommend Portumna, assuming you're going to do a sub-20 min 5k! It's an enjoyable course in a forest park, but realistically it'd probably be cutting it too fine for you.

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    I have done all four and in order of preference I would rank them as;
    1. Lee's Road
    2. Mungret
    3. Clarisford
    4. UL

Mungrisdale is the toughest of them.
    Clarisford is 4 laps and I didn't really enjoy it. Most likely because I was sick at the time and struggled a lot. Next time I am down that way I plan to do Clarisford again just so my time looks a bit more normal in comparison to my other times :)

Mungret it is in the morning so.

I've done Lees Road. I'd like to do a new one.

Bravestaar wrote: »
    Mungret it is in the morning so.

I've done Lees Road. I'd like to do a new one.

Enjoy THE HILL

• Advertisement

Enjoy THE HILL

😡you said enjoy the hill, you didn't say enjoy the hill 4 times!!!
    😂

I think River Valley was harder.

Bravestaar wrote: »
    I think River Valley was harder.

River Valley is definitely harder but out of the ones I have done Mungret comes second. The steep downhill is no benefit either. Hope you enjoyed it.
    Back in St Anne's today after missing 2 weeks. Good to be back.

River Valley is definitely harder but out of the ones I have done Mungret comes second. The steep downhill is no benefit either. Hope you enjoyed it.
    Back in St Anne's today after missing 2 weeks. Good to be back.

Yes enjoyed it thoroughly. I'm struggling a bit with times due to injury but it's still enjoyable

I do prefer Parkruns that have maximum two laps such as Malahide, Waterstown and St. Anne's.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

positron wrote: »
    Not sure about Rostrevor, it's a beautiful part of the world,.so it can't be bad.
    Dundalk
    Younganne wrote: »
    Oldbridge .
    plodder wrote: »
    Rostrevor is really picturesque, but hilly.
    KJ wrote: »
    Rostrevor is definitely picturesque but has 2 tough hills twice.
    Oldbridge.
    Seannew1 wrote: »
    Oldbridge!

Hi all

Thanks so much for taking the time to recommend different runs for me.
    When Rostrevor was mentioned I gravitated towards that one as it had initially caught my eye.

So, at 6am this morning I got up and into the car for the journey up. It was totally worth it. Thanks to those who gave me a heads up on the hills - they are decent alright, but what goes up etc etc, and boy do those hills come down. The sprint finish makes you feel like an athletic God!!!

Went over to the Lough afterwards for a dip of the toes :) and then into Sainsbury's to load up on all the foreign foods we cant get down south :pac: before heading home again

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,323 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

https://twitter.com/geofftech/status/1114469895050285056

Geoff and his OH have a Youtube channel called All The Stations. A few years ago they visited over 2,500 train stations in UK. They're in Ireland at the moment. https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057942001

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

https://twitter.com/geofftech/status/1114469895050285056

Geoff and his OH have a Youtube channel called All The Stations. A few years ago they visited over 2,500 train stations in UK. They're in Ireland at the moment. https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057942001

I had the pleasure of meeting them at Father Collins yesterday. Lovely people.

It was funny because I'd seen his Polish 'Z' parkrun clip here on boards awhile back and recognized him immediately yesterday, I said something really stupid

"Hey, are you from the internet?".. We had the craic about that lol.

He done his 250th parkrun yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭ger664

Last time I was at parkrun one of the scanners was unknowingly pressing the reset button each time. File this under glitches happen, it's parkrun. Hopefully the app will help.

This can be used to remove a previous scan from the scanner. ?If the volenteer scanned the position first rescan it pressing the small button will remove it. Just dont press and hold.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭az2wp0sye65487

robinph wrote: »
    Yes and yes.

I make sure I have a Tesco clubcard handy for the finish with our three year old in case they make it that far and then do some slight of hand to make them think they have a barcode. Meltdowns in the finish funnel area are common for us. :(

This morning was my family's maiden Junior Parkrun experience. Turns out i needn't have worried about the younger one. We got about half way through the first lap and she had enough. I took her hand and walked her back round to the Start/finish area to find Mammy.

Our 5yr old had already gone ahead on her own. So by the time I dropped the younger one with Mammy and went to look for the older one I spotted her half way through the second lap so I ran over to join her to the finish... She was covered in muck! Turns out she tripped and fell somewhere in between going ahead of us and me finding her again!

She was very matter of fact about it and in her own words "I teared up a little bit but then I just got up and kept going". She finished in 60-something place out of about 75 participants but I couldn't help but beam with pride when I saw her going through the finish line!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,149 ✭✭✭plodder

ger664 wrote: »
    This can be used to remove a previous scan from the scanner. ?If the volenteer scanned the position first rescan it pressing the small button will remove it. Just dont press and hold.
    I wasn't aware of that feature, but it's better not to use it imo. It's less risky if volunteers are told to stay away from the small button completely.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Had one of our more successful junior parkruns this weekend for our not-yet-a-parkrunner. I was told to stand at the back at the start line and clap, not allowed to go infront under any circumstances, after a 100 meters or so mummy was allowed to run along side, but I had to stay behind and clap.

Kept running most of the way round the first lap, the occasional stick needed poking in muddy patches on the path, got lapped by the leaders just before the finish and unusually for our parkrunner in training they didn't try and enter the finish funnel on the first pass and went to start the second lap. Only made it another 10 meters into the second lap, but that was still without a meltdown so is massive progress.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement