Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parkrun..

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Now the anxiety of waiting for the parkrun email confirming my time (or not).. I'd one of those finishes where the scanner wasn't sure if she'd scanned it right but I'm also not sure if I heard the beep.

Time doesn't bother me at the moment because I'm mentoring on a C25k group, but I'd hate to have a parkrun unrecorded too.

Hope everyone had a great parkrun today, as usual I'd a fantastic one. And after spending most of Thursday night, Friday morning into the evening in Beaumont A&E with my daughter (she's home resting now) I wasn't much in the mood for running today.

But I'm committed to this group so got out, and I'm delighted I did now.

Edit

I was scanned :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,355 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

2 seconds off a pb today.
    Should I have started closer to the front?
    Should I have taken the time to high 5 my little girl on the way by?
    Maybe I shouldn't have drank 3 pints yesterday?
    Could I have gained a second or 2 on the first lap?
    If I had done a different warm up would it have helped?

The torment!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Pawwed Rig wrote: »

The torment!!!!!

But it's not a race....:D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,355 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

skyblue46 wrote: »

Sometimes it bloody is !!!!! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

This is where you made the mistake. You should have drank 5 pints. :pac:

• Advertisement

The torment!!!!!

I hope she was sent to bed early for slowing you down :P

[I love giving kids the hi-five, they love it ~ and so do I]

• Registered Users Posts: 9,389 ✭✭✭Shedite27

The torment!!!!!
    Few months back I was trying desperately to break 19min, had been getting within 10 seconds fairly regularly, and then one day crossed the line, and my watch said 19:00
    I knew it takes me a half second or whatever to stop my watch so was pretty sure the timer would have me at 18:59
    waited a few hours for the email - 19:00
    Life got in the way since and I'm back closer to 20:00
    :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭py

skyblue46 wrote: »

It's a race against your past/future self. Some times you're not on form or in the mood so you're just a participant and assume 2nd place is what you're going to achieve. That one time though... you smash it... feels good.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,156 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

2 seconds? I was 3 mins and 2 seconds outside mine. :rolleyes:

At least my calf held up. But now my Achilles is giving me problems. :(

Hope your daughter is ok Mak

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

I've EQUALED my PB; now that's frustrating.

Hope your daughter is ok Mak

Cheer's.. Its an ongoing issue I'm afraid.. Can't get into it too much here but Valentines Day last year I found her at home very ill, ambulance to Beaumont Hospital, internal bleeding which eventually resulted in cardiac arrest, four hours in resus trying to stop the bleeding, trying to save her life and succeeding. Then because she's type O neg the hospitals supplies were running low and they'd to send out a text alert for type O neg people on their register to go give blood (even typing this is filling me up).

The most terrifying day of my life, my families life.

Right, won't make it a long one but I'll use this to say if anyone here has ever given blood, THANK YOU. And if anyone here ever considers giving and wonders just how important your donation is ~ you really are giving someone the chance of life.

Happy thoughts now :D

Because I'm mentoring on a C25k group I haven't been chasing down parkrun times but having a great time with the group. But looking forward to getting back out on my own and doing some parkrun touring.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭Spirogyra

Thinking of going to Belfast for a Parkrun,never been across the Irish Border before and would love to see 'what it's like' up there :) . Can anyone tell me which Parkrun would be nearest Belfast (Central?) when getting the train up from Dublin Connolly?. Also anything worth seeing in that vicinity ?. Might go up a friday night and stay until saturday afternoon. Advice appreciated,thanks :)

Spirogyra wrote: »
    Thinking of going to Belfast for a Parkrun,never been across the Irish Border before and would love to see 'what it's like' up there :) . Can anyone tell me which Parkrun would be nearest Belfast (Central?) when getting the train up from Dublin Connolly?. Also anything worth seeing in that vicinity ?. Might go up a friday night and stay until saturday afternoon. Advice appreciated,thanks :)

You've given me an idea because my daughter wants to go up to see the Titanic museum, I could do that and get a parkrun tourist destination in too :D

I'd appreciate info on Belfast too so.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,550 ✭✭✭chinguetti

Did Tullow parkrun yesterday and its a lovely route of 2 laps in the forest. Really good set up and had a nice chat with a few of the volunteers before we headed off. Really nice touch was the permanent km markers they have on the route and the parkrun signs with arrows.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

Spirogyra wrote: »

Ormeau or Stranmillis College are probably the closest to the city centre?

Belfast is definitely worth a full weekend if you can manage it. The Titanic Exhibition is definitely worth a visit, but it takes a couple of hours to get around. I'd also highly recommend doing a Black Taxi tour - it's just the taxi driver tour guide and whoever you're travelling with. They take you around all of the "interesting" sites in Belfast and give the perspective of both sides in the conflict.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Amigaman

You've given me an idea because my daughter wants to go up to see the Titanic museum, I could do that and get a parkrun tourist destination in too :D

I'd appreciate info on Belfast too so.
    Belfast has lots of lovely parkruns and you won't be disappointed no matter which you chose but for me, it has to be Waterworks- its the home of parkrun in Ireland, our Bushy so to speak and it has a great atmosphere.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,607 ✭✭✭muddypaws

We had a race in Portumna forest park today so did parkrun there yesterday. Lovely venue and really friendly team. Not a huge field but it's still relatively neq.

That's P crossed off my alphabet

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

Johnstown 4th Birthday will be on 2nd March if anyone wants a bit of touristing.

Cup of tea guaranteed and maybe something to go with it. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,607 ✭✭✭muddypaws

Ted_YNWA wrote: »
    Johnstown 4th Birthday will be on 2nd March if anyone wants a bit of touristing.

I haven't done J yet but I think it's Erris' 3rd celebration the same day - and it's a bit nearer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

Any sign of it returning to the castle or is that a thread that should not be pulled?

Huzzah! wrote:
    Any sign of it returning to the castle or is that a thread that should not be pulled?

It is where we started, will always be spiritual home, of course we want to. There is still a lot of moving parts going on and negotiations on going. OPW are still working out there.

I know that is a very political answer, but we can't confirm either way until 100% certain.

We have a great setup in the racecourse as an alternative, not sure if you have been. We can't be treated any better. We have full access to toilets and members bar to provide tea & coffee afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Pacer day this coming Saturday in Tymon, 20, 22, 25, 28, and 30 minute pacers so far.

It is where we started, will always be spiritual home, of course we want to. There is still a lot of moving parts going on and negotiations on going. OPW are still working out there.

I know that is a very political answer, but we can't confirm either way until 100% certain.

We have a great setup in the racecourse as an alternative, not sure if you have been. We can't be treated any better. We have full access to toilets and members bar to provide tea & coffee afterwards.

Yep - I've been to the racecourse, and it certainly has its advantages.

I was just being nosy as I spotted the festival of running is being held at the castle - I couldn't imagine running for 24 hours on that surface, even if I was able to run for 24 hours, but that's an aside - and I was just wondering if that meant parkrun would return.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭BeardySi

Ormeau or Stranmillis College are probably the closest to the city centre?

Belfast is definitely worth a full weekend if you can manage it. The Titanic Exhibition is definitely worth a visit, but it takes a couple of hours to get around. I'd also highly recommend doing a Black Taxi tour - it's just the taxi driver tour guide and whoever you're travelling with. They take you around all of the "interesting" sites in Belfast and give the perspective of both sides in the conflict.

Ormeau, Orangefield, Victoria, Stranmillis, Waterworks and Falls are all easily gotten to via public transport from the city centre.

Edit: oh and Stormont is easily reached on the Glider

One I intend to visit but I'm coming off a 24 hour shift that morning and doubt I'd make it in time.. How far from the Phoenix Park (driving)?.

One I intend to visit but I'm coming off a 24 hour shift that morning and doubt I'd make it in time.. How far from the Phoenix Park (driving)?.

Route planners have it as 1 hour 50. Straight down M/N11.

It's in Wexford town - maybe about an hour and 45 minutes?

Thanks lads, for some reason I imaged it was on the Dublin side of Naas lol.

• Advertisement

Thanks lads, for some reason I imaged it was on the Dublin side of Naas lol.

It is a popular name. There is a Johnstown outside Naas and another one near Navan with Johnstownbridge near Enfield.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement