Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parkrun..

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    It is a popular name. There is a Johnstown outside Naas and another one near Navan with Johnstownbridge near Enfield.

And Johnstown parkrun isn't even in Johnstown :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

Huzzah! wrote:
    And Johnstown parkrun isn't even in Johnstown

Aye, it was when founded. It was relocate or disband when we lost our home. While there's still hope we can go back, name will stay. :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,330 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I am hoping for a bit of tourism this weekend by doing Mungret. Seems to be 4 laps. Has anyone done it?
    Could I try for a fast time?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

I am hoping for a bit of tourism this weekend by doing Mungret. Seems to be 4 laps. Has anyone done it?
    Why not?
    There's a steep downhill section near the start of the lap so if you don't put the brakes on you can build up speed and gain some time. There's a bit of an uphill drag on the latter half of the lap which might eat into time on the 4th go around.

The photos for parkun #24 were taken on the downhill section but some photos from parkrun #23 (on their facebook page) show the latter drag also so should give you an idea.
    My overall parkrun PB is currently from Mungret and they're a friendly crowd with a nice cafe on site.
    One other thing is that there's no street furniture, sharp turns, or pinch points to slow you down. The surface is good and there's always space to overtake so even though it's a 4 lap course you won't be slowed by being blocked in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭ger664

Do there is a fabulous food onsite afterwards by all accounts

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭vargoo

Any reason not to sign up to their txts?

I did there and then changed my mind but you have to fill in a request form to get out of it....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

vargoo wrote: »

I did there and then changed my mind but you have to fill in a request form to get out of it....

No reason not to sign up for them. It's literally one text a couple of hours after you've run and/or volunteered, with your time included if you ran.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭Lazare

vargoo wrote: »

So you changed your mind for no reason?

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Tipptatlers

3 and 3/4 laps basically. One hill on each lap, so 4 times up that. Not the easiest Parkrun. I'd be thinking UL would be faster if you were chasing a time.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,330 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

3 and 3/4 laps basically. One hill on each lap, so 4 times up that. Not the easiest Parkrun. I'd be thinking UL would be faster if you were chasing a time.

I have done UL before so fancy a new parkrun. Sounds tough enough but will see how it goes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Tipptatlers

I have done UL before so fancy a new parkrun. Sounds tough enough but will see how it goes.

Should be there myself. Best of luck with it.

doing Mungret.

No is answer to that question. Tough run with 4xsteep up hill with no payback on the downhill section.
    Nice morning out though. Weather was great and kids loved the playground.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

Tough run with 4xsteep up hill with no payback on the downhill section.
    Nice morning out though. Weather was great and kids loved the playground.
    That hill gets flatter the more times you do it. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,312 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

• Registered Users Posts: 3,773 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

Just wondering how this walking initiative will play out with volunteerism at parkruns, if parkruns are going to start taking nearly 90 minutes to complete will their be a dip in volunteers? I dont mind being finished by 1030 but finishing up around 11 starts to eat a bit into the day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 Satta Massagana

I think its great to see a walking initiative. Hopefully it'll get even more people out and involved. Parkrun should never be intimidating.
    Some of the walkers Im sure will be future volunteers too.
    That's what Parkrun is all about, getting people moving toward a healthier life.

When I volunteer it's because I want to give something back and I wouldn't worry at all if it eats into my day for an extra hour.
    I get a great joy from seeing people at all levels & ages crossing that finish line, no matter how long it takes them. Everyones journey is different.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

I think its great to see a walking initiative. Hopefully it'll get even more people out and involved. Parkrun should never be intimidating.
    Some of the walkers Im sure will be future volunteers too.
    That's what Parkrun is all about, getting people moving toward a healthier life.

When I volunteer it's because I want to give something back and I wouldn't worry at all if it eats into my day for an extra hour.
    I get a great joy from seeing people at all levels & ages crossing that finish line, no matter how long it takes them. Everyones journey is different.

This.

I started walking parkruns with Operation Transformation in Jan 2016. Now I'm a regular runner, actually mentoring a C25 group, and signed up for my first marathon. If parkrun had been "just for runners", I'd still be on the couch. Happy to give the extra 30-50 minutes for walkers when I volunteer, it's only once a month!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

There are usually volunteering jobs that finish earlier. Pre-event setup, obviously, but there's usually a marshalling position that finishes much earlier than the last walker finishes the course.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

There are plenty of people at parkruns who take an hour at the moment, getting more people walking at parkrun will not increase that time. Whilst people are capable of running a 5km between 15 minutes and 45 minutes pace, there is far less variability in the speed that people would walk the same distance (excluding race walkers and people with mobility issues for a moment). What is needed is to encourage more people to fill in the gaps in the results from 45 minutes to 60 where at a lot of events there may only be a couple of people and they are minutes apart, that just creates a false impression of volunteers standing around doing nothing. There is plenty of capacity at every event for hundreds more walkers in that time period between 45 and 60 minutes.

Maybe not car parking capacity admittedly, but ideally people would be making their way to a local parkrun under their own steam when there are enough events locally to everyone.

If someone is taking much over the hour then they have some other mobility issue and they are certainly not the norm that you'd expect to occur with a big increase in walkers taking part.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I let my mum know about the walking initiative - she's in her mid 50s and would never run but she does love to go walking. Think she would enjoy it.

We're off to Glasgow this weekend for the athletics and getting a parkrun in while we're there because the Saturday morning races are absolutely pants. Most likely Victoria, but we'll have the double buggy with us. The 9:30 start will feel like a comparative lie-in!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

Centennial parkrun this morning in Sydney for an 8am start. Absolutely roasting, our hottest yet. Only their 21st event but due to the historic park and proximity to town it attracts big numbers. RD brief tells you to watch for horses as they get priority. You feel like you're on their racecourse at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,128 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Griffeen again. #25 done and third fastest ever. Parkrun, that is, not 5k. :D

Calf muscle a bit sore again. :(

The wife ran her 20th straight. In 18 weeks. And she's happy cos she got another PB.

A bit windy, mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭diceyreilly

At the moment I’m doing 1 home and 1 away parkrun every 2nd week. Have all of North Dublin done and a few elsewhere.
    Does any one have a list of the Dublin parkruns so can cross them off my list to complete Dublin.

Will do Leinster after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

Does anyone have any thoughts on what the fastest parkrun course in Dublin might be?

I’m a regular at Marlay and the first km always kills my time with the hill. I was going to try to find a very flat course and really go for a PB.

Any thoughts?

At the moment I’m doing 1 home and 1 away parkrun every 2nd week. Have all of North Dublin done and a few elsewhere.
    Does any one have a list of the Dublin parkruns so can cross them off my list to complete Dublin.

The map on the parkrun webpage will have all that info.

durkadurka wrote: »
    Does anyone have any thoughts on what the fastest parkrun course in Dublin might be?

St Annes, Collins and Poppintree are all flat. My fastest of the three is Annes but mostly coz I have done that more I reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭chinguetti

St Annes, Collins and Poppintree are all flat. My fastest of the three is Annes but mostly coz I have done that more I reckon.

Tyrrellstown is also flat but for fast, it all depends who you have besides you on the day. If you get in a group running your time, they will drag you along. For me, one of my fastest ever parkruns was at River Valley as there was 3 of us at the same pace for most of the trip so don't let the profile of a parkrun put you off.

I would be put off by River Valley if looking for a fast run. Toughest one I have done to date.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

I haven't run it, but I think St Annes will have one of the fastest fields in Dublin, which is also important if you are going for a fast time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

RayCun wrote: »
    I haven't run it, but I think St Annes will have one of the fastest fields in Dublin, which is also important if you are going for a fast time.

Malahide also has a decent field, but is hillier, so St. Anne's is probably the fastest. Father Collins has way too many sharp turns. River Valley's hills add about 45 seconds for me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Singer wrote: »
    Malahide also has a decent field, but is hillier, so St. Anne's is probably the fastest. Father Collins has way too many sharp turns. River Valley's hills add about 45 seconds for me.

I think Fr Collins has 19 sharp turns over two laps.

I'd say St.Annes is fastest with that 800m finish straight. I love St.Annes, probably my fav parkrun.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement