Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When did Gemma O Doherty go batshyt crazy?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,153 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

They claim to be tolerant but when it comes to hypocrisy and intolerance all their liberal platitudes go out the window.

:rolleyes:

You really need to educate yourself

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paradox_of_tolerance

• Registered Users Posts: 16,126 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

humberklog wrote: »
    A recent YouTube cast was a hilariously shrill. She was interviewing a Danish woman and then spent the rest of the show reflecting on what she observed on her Skandy trip.

One story (true or not) involved seeing a man using the lady's toilets in an airport. The Danish women there didn't mind and said it's normal if the men's toilets were busy. She gave chase to the man and gave him a good piece of her mind and said This wasn't acceptable!
    She went on to it took an Irish woman to tell Danish people what was acceptable...in their country! All without a hint of irony

Most her rant was based around the disgusting pervasive sexualisation of women and her perceived notion of a decline in sexual morals.
    She's kinda Mary Whitehouse-ish with a twist of warped evil nun.

I kinda admire the people who can watch one of her video's all the way through. I see so many factual inaccuracies and leaps in logic I just want scream at my computer and smash something up.

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    How very dare people not tolerate intolerance!

Cheek of them.

We should hold the hands of those who hate us (homophobes in my case) and say there there. It's ok to be so afraid of me you would like to see me wiped from the face of the Earth. Poor scared little pookie.

F that!

Maybe all our sarcasm detectors are broken?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,226 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Grayson wrote: »
    Bannasidhe wrote: »
    How very dare people not tolerate intolerance!

Cheek of them.

We should hold the hands of those who hate us (homophobes in my case) and say there there. It's ok to be so afraid of me you would like to see me wiped from the face of the Earth. Poor scared little pookie.

F that!

I was thinking that myself

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Grayson wrote: »

It would want to be on a level that there'd be a recall like.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,704 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

As if a man's toilet would be busier than a woman's toilet. Is Denmark some sort of wonderland with enough ladies.

As if a man's toilet would be busier than a woman's toilet. Is Denmark some sort of wonderland with enough ladies.

I encountered this problem once. Not in Denmark - in Brisbane.
    Popped out at half-time during a Lions match at The Gabba expecting the usual queue for the women's when lo and behold there was a queue outside the men's and free stalls in the women's.
    Queue for the beer was ucking outrageous tho. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,668 ✭✭✭whippet

Did any one catch her latest output ... apparently
    It was going to talk about false flags from JFK to 9/11 to the Nz attack ... I’m sure a heap of truth bombs were on the menu

Maybe Gemma's working deep undercover in far right conspiracy circles. One of these days she'll just go silent and a few months later we'll have a book from her.

whippet wrote: »
    Did any one catch her latest output ... apparently
    It was going to talk about false flags from JFK to 9/11 to the Nz attack ... I’m sure a heap of truth bombs were on the menu

It'll be on later. God love her, spending her evenings talking crap into the abyss. No friends, no family, no job.

• Advertisement

Birneybau wrote: »
    She blocked myself on Twitter when I simply asked her if she knew what the President of Ireland could ACTUALLY DO. :pac:
    You claim to be tolerant but you refuse to tolerate Gemma's ignorance :rolleyes:

She thought she could change legislation and begin somewhat akin to a revolution when she claimed the Throne of the President of Ireland. I merely pointed out she was misinformed.

But, I'm beginning to think you are on a wind up, so...

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Nulu5

batgoat wrote: »
    They pointed out to the hotels what she was saying in relation to Christchurch. Reasonable that most hotels wouldn't wish to associate with her.

Disagree with her comments on christ church. What some people don,t seem to get is just because a hotel takes a booking from someone doesn,t mean that they endorse the political views of the people they took the booking from.

If Gemma is such a fan of free speech, why did she throw out the guy who was livestreaming her meeting in Ashbourne?

I seen the video he kept interrupting her when she was speaking & wouldn,t switch off the camera when requested.

If I went to a sinn fein or people before profit public meeting & kept interrupting Ruth Coppinger or a SF speaker , how many think that I would,t be asked to leave if I kept interrupting ? I know someone might say he wanted to ask a question well the time for that is the Q and A session .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭batgoat

Nulu5 wrote: »
    Disagree with her comments on christ church. What some people don,t seem to get is just because a hotel takes a booking from someone doesn,t mean that they endorse the political views of the people they took the booking from.

And it's freedom of speech to protest it by contacting the hotel to object.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,570 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Birneybau wrote: »

TBH, stuff like that doesn't help.

She should be getting together with family members and staging an intervention.

But that's what people like about her. There are a lot of people out there who just dislike people. It might be because of their own failings or they might just be shít people but they like it when someone else is shítty publicly. It validates their hate.

This is Gemma's appeal. She says the shítty things online that they would be afraid to in case someone were to disagree with them which they equate with left-wing totalitarian censorship.

This is why they try to defend her online without actually defending her being shítty but instead pretend that they're all about free expression and against censorship. It's clearly impossible to defend the nonsense and hate that she spews and they know it. The problem is that they like the shítty things and feel compelled to defend her.

Again, this is why they go down the free-speech and censorship road. Everyone likes free speech and hates censorship, right?
    This is Gemma's appeal. She says the shítty things online that they would be afraid to in case someone were to disagree with them which they equate with left-wing totalitarian censorship.

If memory serves me correct Fiona was brought on a Cork radio show last summer as a phone guess to debate with Gemma, sure there as disagreement over views but there was nothing about it afterwards, that,s disagreement .

What Fiona has started doing recently is beyond disagreement over political views. Its actively trying to silence another person. First its the Ashbourne hotel that she leads a pressure campaign against they ignored her. Then its hotels in Cork she targeted next along with the fact shes,s admitted in a recent sunday newspaper article that she,s trying to have Gemma,s very own website taken down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

I think people get that - they're private businesses and do it for the money. They have every right to do that to increase/protect their profit margin.

However, people have every right to voice their displeasure to this, and to let them know they will no longer frequent their premises as a result. This will mean the business losing money.

If the hotel feels the cost/benefit is not worth it - e.g. that lost business in reaction to the event will cost more than that brought in from said event - then the business has every right to cancel the event, and to increase/protect their profit margin.

Cancellations like this happening are very definition of free speech in action, and are as capitalist as you can get (and if we know one thing about most to the right, its that they are big fans of capitalism).

Billy86 wrote: »
    When you're squealing about how others need to tolerate your intolerance, you've already lost the argument.

I think what the other person is trying to say is the left preach about diversity yet are against diversity of opinion of views that differ from their own.

What Fiona has started doing recently is beyond disagreement over political views. Its actively trying to silence another person.

What do you propose, that Fiona shut up and keep her opinions and free speech to herself? Should it be enforced by authorities? I'm not being sarcastic, genuinely am curious what you think she should do, and if it involves her being silent on some of her opinions?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,983 ✭✭✭Odhinn

If memory serves me correct Fiona was brought on a Cork radio show last summer as a phone guess to debate with Gemma, sure there as disagreement over views but there was nothing about it afterwards, that,s disagreement .

What Fiona has started doing recently is beyond disagreement over political views. Its actively trying to silence another person. First its the Ashbourne hotel that she leads a pressure campaign against they ignored her. Then its hotels in Cork she targeted next along with the fact shes,s admitted in a recent sunday newspaper article that she,s trying to have Gemma,s very own website taken down.

Going for a "false flag" call on the NZ shootings isn't doing her any favours.

This is a staggering level of intolerance towards homophobes, islamophobes and transphobes.

Why not try to find out what she is so afraid of and help her overcome her fears.

Accusations of so called phobia,s are a fiction to shut down opposing views.

If someone has a view that a person born biologically male shouldn,t be allowed to compete in women,s sports it doesn,t mean that they have some form of phobia. Or if someone has critical views about Islam it doesn,t mean that they have some form of phobia.

I think what the other person is trying to say is the left preach about diversity yet are against diversity of opinion of views that differ from their own.

No, they were pretty explicit that what they want is for others to tolerate intolerance. This was literally the post I was replying to: "They claim to be tolerant but when it comes to hypocrisy and intolerance all their liberal platitudes go out the window."

• Registered Users Posts: 7,983 ✭✭✭Odhinn

Zuzana11 wrote: »
    Interesting
    1 in 4.7 think she's right

..about what?

I think people get that - they're private businesses and do it for the money. They have every right to do that to increase/protect their profit margin.

However, people have every right to voice their displeasure to this, and to let them know they will no longer frequent their premises as a result. This will mean the business losing money.

If the hotel feels the cost/benefit is not worth it - e.g. that lost business in reaction to the event will cost more than that brought in from said event - then the business has every right to cancel the event, and to increase/protect their profit margin.

Cancellations like this happening are very definition of free speech in action, and are as capitalist as you can get (and if we know one thing about most to the right, its that they are big fans of capitalism).

I know many of the people who contacted the hotel in Bantry - and every single one of them either lives or works in the Bantry area. Their message was polite but firm - if GoD holds an event at your establishment we will no longer be customers.
    No more weddings, funeral lunches, communion lunches, functions etc.

The hotel had a choice. They chose not to be boycotted by locals.

What do you propose, that Fiona shut up and keep her opinions and free speech to herself? Should it be enforced by authorities? I'm not being sarcastic, genuinely am curious what you think she should do, and if it involves her being silent on some of her opinions?

If Fiona organised a protest outside the hotel venues or gave out opposition leaflets to people at the hotel. I don,t think most people would take issue if she expressed open disagreement in that manner.

batgoat wrote: »
    And it's freedom of speech to protest it by contacting the hotel to object.

Like another poster said when Paul Murphy and others are on the radio I object by simply turning it off. If people want to object either don,t go to the meetings or object by protesting outside.

Accusations of so called phobia,s are a fiction to shut down opposing views.

If someone has a view that a person born biologically male shouldn,t be allowed to compete in women,s sports it doesn,t mean that they have some form of phobia. Or if someone has critical views about Islam it doesn,t mean that they have some form of phobia.

No one said they did.

I, for one said - and I quote:
    And anyone who hates any group of people because of their skin colour, religion, sexual orientation, ethnicity is phobic.

Notice the because of part of that sentence. It's the key.

It's a far cry from wishing to discuss whether there may be an issue with extra muscle mass/testosterone give a MTF athlete an advantage over a biologically female athlete or having critical views of any religion.

Odhinn wrote: »
    Going for a "false flag" call on the NZ shootings isn't doing her any favours.

There,s saying along the lines of " Extraordinary claims require Extraordinary proof ". I fully concur it was foolish of her to put up posts about " false flags " etc without much proof to back it up.

• Advertisement

There,s saying along the lines of " Extraordinary claims require Extraordinary proof ". I fully concur it was foolish of her to put up posts about " false flags " etc without much proof to back it up.

ANY proof.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement