Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix Recommendations 2.0 *READ FIRST POST*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Bigbagofcans

beauf wrote: »
    Gervais plays the same role in all his shows. Its that sarcastic condescending UK humour that was popular in the 90s. The UK office is written around that style of comedy. Fact all his material is around that style, he plays himself. Its a bit Marmite. Which limits its audience.

The US office is an entirely different style of humour. Its not as sarcastic and condescending, probably by design, to make it have boarder appeal in the US market. I would say Carrell plays a similar role to that he plays in other films.

I've never watched either with a critical eye to see what worked and didn't. Its an interesting comparison from all angles. it would be interesting to hear how it all came together.

I've tried a few times to get into the UK Office but I don't find it funny. I'll give US Office a go since I like Steve Carrell.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,460 ✭✭✭tigger123

I've tried a few times to get into the UK Office but I don't find it funny. I'll give US Office a go since I like Steve Carrell.

US Office is great, just takes a few episodes to find its feet.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,361 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

I thought Triple Frontier was quite good, acting, story, cinematography all decent. I appreciate its all subjective but Im a bit surprised so many here didnt like it.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,930 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Didn't the US office basically follow the UK's script for the first few episodes? Probably the reason it took them a while to get into their own groove was that it was actually a few episodes in before the writers and cast had any real control over it.
    Same with US Shameless, early episodes of that were literally shot for shot remakes of the UK one but after a while it found it's own voice and is a million times better than the UK one.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,935 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Thought triple frontier ran out of steam. I had high hopes for it but just didnt enjoy it in the end.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,171 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Didn't the US office basically follow the UK's script for the first few episodes?

Yeah, the first season was pretty much identical to the UK one. After that it diverged.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,218 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Faces Places is another delight from Agnes Varda, one of the greatest living filmmakers. It'll perhaps offer more for those with some familiarity with her work, but that's not to say it's inaccessible or anything. Quite the opposite: it exudes warmth and playfulness, and the octogenarian Varda's sense of adventure puts younger filmmakers to shame. Both a lovely introduction to Varda's work and another delightful chapter in a story she's still telling with gusto and enthusiasm.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

• Registered Users Posts: 16,305 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

Our Planet - April 5th

Cannot wait for this! Although anything Sir David Attenborough related can be hooked up directly to my veins :D

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Jayisplay

Dades wrote: »
    No, you don't.

It's a new timeline so not a sequel to anything really. A bit of knowledge of the Star Trek universe would be useful though.

As a trekkie, I'm enjoying it.

I know a small bit about it , so cheers I’ll give it a go

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,375 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Managed to finish Turn Up Charlie but not sure why. Absolute rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,745 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Finally finished Perfume but I'll have to watch the last episode again because I couldn't get me head around the ending.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭Ariadne

Managed to finish Turn Up Charlie but not sure why. Absolute rubbish.

I watched one episode and I thought it was just utter shyte.

Alexis Viera: A Story of Surviving
    After being shot during a robbery in Colombia and losing sensation in his legs, Uruguayan soccer star Alexis Viera finds a new sense of purpose

Awaken the Shadowman
    After his mother disappears, a man returns to his sleepy hometown where an ominous, supernatural force targets his family and locals.

added today

coming in April (seems a bit light)

1st April
    The Mask of Zorro
    This Is the End
    Cruel Intentions
    Click
    The Body

2nd April
    Gladiator
    Kevin Hart: Irresponsible

3rd April
    Suzzanna: Buried Alive – 3rd April
    After a pregnant woman is murdered, her spirit seeks revenge against her increasingly terrified killers, who are determined to finish her off for goo
    Ricardo Quevedo: We All Hold Grudges
    The Unthinkable
    Doctor Foster: Season 2

5th April
    Our Planet
    Exhilarating visuals and stunning footage of rarely-seen animals mix with somber truths about humanity’s impact on the planet’s habitats and species.

Quick Sand
    After a tragedy at a school sends shock waves through a wealthy Stockholm suburb, a seemingly well-adjusted teen finds herself on trial for murder.

Chilling Adventures of Sabrina: Part 2
    Part 2 finds Sabrina exploring her darker side, curious to learn more about her heritage, while struggling to maintain her friendships in the mortal world. Romantically, Sabrina is caught in an unholy love triangle with between sexy warlock Nicholas Scratch and salt-of-the-Earth mortal Harvey Kinkle. Meanwhile, The Dark Lord, Madame Satan, and Father Blackwood continue to conjure chaos in the Spellman household and the town of Greendale. And they aren’t the only ones trying to raise hell. Everything is in question…relationships, identity, true intentions…when the devil’s work is at hand.

Unicorn Store
    Kit, a twenty-something dreamer, receives an invitation that would fulfill her childhood dreams in the directorial debut of Captain Marvel herself, Brie Larson.

Tijuana
    When a prominent politician is murdered in cold blood, intrepid local journalists risk their lives to uncover the truth.

Persona: Collection
    An eclectic exploration of different personas in a collection of four short films directed by critically acclaimed Korean directors.

Roman Empire: Caligula: The Mad Emperor
    Once beloved by the troops and people alike, Caligula shocks Rome by ruling with the cruel depravity and debauchery that make him infamous.

Spirit Riding Free: Season 8
    Big changes lie ahead for Lucky and her friends in an eventful final season — from new babies at home to a faraway boarding school.

8th April
    War Dogs

9th April
    Trolls: The Beat Goes On!: Season 6

10th April
    You vs. Wild
    In this interactive adventure series, you’ll make key decisions to help Bear Grylls survive, thrive and complete missions in the harshest environments on Earth.

Liss Pereira: Reteniendo liquidos

11th April
    Black Summer
    A prequel set in the Z Nation universe, this new series introduces all new characters from every walk of life. As what’s left of the old world order collapses around them, a group of survivors encounter the best and worst of humanity in the darkest hours of the Zombie Apocalypse.

12th April
    A Land Imagined
    A cop in Singapore investigates the disappearance of a Chinese migrant construction worker who spent sleepless nights playing a mysterious video game.

Huge in France
    “Huge in France” would be an autobiographical look at Gad’s experience reinventing himself in the US. It would be 80% in English, 20% in French, and would focus on Gad’s career, dating life, and rediscovery of his identity in the absence of the fame he’s become accustomed to.

Specia
    A gay man with mild cerebral palsy decides to rewrite his identity as an accident victim and finally go after the life he wants.

Mighty Little Bheem
    An innocent toddler’s boundless curiosity – and extraordinary might – lead to mischief and adventure in his small Indian town.

The Perfect Date
    To save up for college, Brooks Rattigan creates an app where anyone can pay him to play the perfect stand-in boyfriend for any occasion.

The Silence
    When the world is under attack from terrifying creatures who hunt their human prey by sound, 16-year old Ally Andrews (Kiernan Shipka), who lost her hearing at 13, and her family seek refuge in a remote haven. But they discover a sinister cult who are eager to exploit Ally’s heightened senses. The Silence is directed by John R. Leonetti (Annabelle) and stars Stanley Tucci, Kiernan Shipka and Miranda Otto.

Francesco de Carlo: Cose di Questo Mondo

15th April
    No Good Nick
    Melissa Joan Hart is back on our screens in this sitcom, which sees a family’s life turned upside down when a young, street-smart grifter appears on the doorstep, claiming she’s a distant relative.The Fugitive

16th April
    Jurassic Park 1 to 3 Super Monsters Furever Friends
    On the first night of spring, the Super Monsters and their families gather for food, fun and games in the park — and meet their adorable monster pets!

17th April
    This Is 40
    American Gangster
    The Incredible Hulk
    Bridget Jones’ Diary
    Bridget Jones: The Edge of Reason
    Savages
    Dr. Seuss’ The Lorax

18th April
    My First First Love
    Due to various personal reasons, a group of Yun Tae-o’s friends move into his house, where they experience love, friendship, and everything in between.
    Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales

Rilakkuma and Kaoru
    Rilakkuma and Kaoru is the story of a soft toy bear and his human roommate Kaoru, and the short but sweet time they spend together.

19th April
    Someone Great
    Aspiring music journalist Jenny (Gina Rodriguez) has just landed her dream job at an iconic magazine and is about to move to San Francisco. Rather than do long distance, her boyfriend of nine years (Lakeith Stanfield) decides to call it quits. To nurse her broken heart, Jenny gathers up her two best friends Erin (DeWanda Wise) and Blair (Brittany Snow) for one outrageous last adventure in New York City. From writer/director Jennifer Kaytin Robinson (creator of MTV’s Sweet/Vicious) SOMEONE GREAT is a hilarious and heartfelt story of friendship, love, and what it means to let go of your twenties and enter adulthood.

A Fortunate Man
    A gifted engineer flees his austere roots to pursue wealth and success among Copenhagen’s elite, but the pride propelling him threatens to be his ruin.

Music Teacher
    Burned by his past, an emotionally troubled, small-town music teacher risks everything he has to reconnect with a now-famous former student.

Brené Brown: The Call to Courage
    Best-selling author Brené Brown discusses what it takes to choose courage over comfort in a culture defined by scarcity, fear and uncertainty.

Samantha!: Season 2
    Samantha tries to forget her childish antics and become a better actress and parent, but her mother-in-law and ex-bandmates don’t make it easy for her

20th April
    Grass Is Greener
    It lit up jazz and hip-hop – and ignited a war on drugs steeped in racial injustice. Experts explore America’s complicated relationship with weed

22nd April
    Adrift
    Pinky Malinky: Part 2
    Pinky Malinky is on a roll! Catch up on this joyful hot dog boy’s continuing adventures as he spreads fun and positivity with best friends Babs and JJ.

23rd April
    I Think You Should Leave with Tim Robinson

24th April
    Bonding
    A New York City grad student moonlighting as a dominatrix enlists her gay BFF from high school to be her assistant.

25th April
    Baywatch

26th April
    ReMastered: Devil at the Crossroads

Street Food
    From the creators of Chef’s Table, Street Food takes viewers to some of the world’s most vibrant cities to explore the rich culture of street food all over the globe. Season one explores nine countries across Asia, from the hawker stalls of Singapore to the food carts of India. Each episode highlights the stories of perseverance and culture that bring life to each country’s cuisine.

The Protector: Season 2
    Facing formidable odds against the resurgent Immortals, Hakan and the Loyal Ones must forestall sinister plans to destroy the city — and all humans.

She-Ra and the Princesses of Power: Season 2
    A reimagining of the ‘80s hit series, She-Ra and the Princesses of Power is the story of an orphaned princess named Adora, who leaves behind her former life in the evil Horde when she discovers a magic sword that transforms her into the legendary warrior She-Ra. Along the way, she finds a new surrogate family in the Rebellion as she unites a group of magical princesses in the ultimate fight against evil.

Yankee
    The story of Edgar Valdez, a young man from Texas who, instead of heading off to University with his friends, decided to cross the Rio Grande to become one of the most bloodthirsty assassins in the history of Mexican drug trafficking.

29th April
    Whindersson Nunes: Adulto

30th April
    Anthony Jeselnik: Fire in the Maternity Ward

Chambers – Date TBC
    A young heart attack survivor becomes consumed by the mystery surrounding the heart that saved her life. However, the closer she gets to uncovering the truth about her donor’s sudden death, the more she starts taking on the characteristics of the deceased – some of which are troublingly sinister.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭Robert McGrath

Finally got around to watching The Princess Bride - only took 32 years ...

What a lovely movie. Sweet, funny, great cast and well acted. And now I can understand all of the memes ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭Ilovethe bonesofyou

What a lovely movie. Sweet, funny, great cast and well acted. And now I can understand all of the memes ...

Inconceivable! Great movie alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Fian

peteeeed wrote: »
    The Silence
    When the world is under attack from terrifying creatures who hunt their human prey by sound, 16-year old Ally Andrews (Kiernan Shipka), who lost her hearing at 13, and her family seek refuge in a remote haven. But they discover a sinister cult who are eager to exploit Ally’s heightened senses. The Silence is directed by John R. Leonetti (Annabelle) and stars Stanley Tucci, Kiernan Shipka and Miranda Otto.

I could swear I have seen a film with a strikingly similar concept recently.......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Bigbagofcans

Fian wrote: »
    I could swear I have seen a film with a strikingly similar concept recently.......

They're running out of ideas for scary movies. We've had an endless amount of 'parent with possessed child' movies so these creature that hunt by sound are the new thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭pcadhain

Fian wrote: »

Out Of Africa, I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,296 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Holy crap now thats a trailer!

• Registered Users Posts: 60,439 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Damm that's a great trailer.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,460 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

Watching Dirty John. Have to say it is pretty poor. Deborah Newell (Connie Britton) is very underwhelming, her mother played by Jean Smart reminds me of Mrs Doubtfire, Eric Bana is ok but it's just weak. Watched episode 4 last night, this was considerably weaker than the first 3, hopefully just a blip.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

When the guy with the yellow baseball cap screams he reminds me of the Ermahgerd girl.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

Stranger Things looks great!!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,894 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Sabrina and Black Summer.

I expect Black Summer to be better than Fear the Walking Dead the same way Z Nation turned out better than The Walking Dead.

Not watching the Stranger Things trailers.

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭El Duda

Stranger things...

Season 2 was somewhat of a crushing dissapointment to me. Season 3 looks a lot better!

• Advertisement

El Duda wrote: »
    Stranger things...

Season 2 was somewhat of a crushing dissapointment to me. Season 3 looks a lot better!

HOW DARE YOU , i loved it

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement