Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix Recommendations 2.0 *READ FIRST POST*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 48,155 ✭✭✭✭km79

Not until the last few minutes. It’s brilliant though, keep going.

It is very good alright

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,548 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Heckler wrote: »
    Just finished Triple Frontier. I went in with high hopes. Good cast, good premise. It was very meh. Empty is a good description. Had a lot of potential but didn't make the grade.

Watched it last night and completely agree. Capable of much better but a let down in reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,619 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Formula 1: Drive to Survive

Excellent behind the scenes footage of an F1 season

Watched the first three episodes of this and didn't enjoy it (and I say that as a F1 fan). I think the series is just more like an advertisement for Formula 1 to attract new fans and get them paying subs to Sky Sports to watch it.

Watched Free Solo the other night too, very enjoyable. His girlfriend was a bit mad especially the bit where she
    told him she had a dream that he fell to his death off the rock face just before he was going out to climb, I mean hello!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

lolo62 wrote: »
    She doesn't have "serious mental issues" she has bipolar disorder and probably wouldn't be a CIA genius without being afflicted.
    So they claim. As I said it's a premise thing and there's a credibility issue at work. Still watch it but annoying how much tolerance there is of her behaviour at times. Without the bould Saul she'd be getting help outside of her job but that's no TV show.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    Just finished Turn up Charlie. Enjoyed it. Idris Elba good as ever.
    Found it very mixed myself even though he's very affable throughout. Occasionally hit but some very odd setups at times. Real positive is that it's only 25-30 minutes per episode!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,835 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Finished Broken and Three Girls...

.. both brilliant but definitely need something lighter to watch now

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭shauna17

Knine wrote: »
    Really liked Walk, Ride, Rodeo. Predictable but feel good especially if you like horses.

I loved this too I love heartland aswell so hopefully they will have new season of that airing soon

• Registered Users Posts: 6,211 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Watched afterlife,his best work I feel, excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

A Cure for Wellness
    Amy Schumer Growing
    Boyhood
    Faces Places(french)
    The Riot Club

added today

• Registered Users Posts: 4,462 ✭✭✭tigger123

Started watching Love, Death and Robots over the weekend, it really is excellent. I think 'Witness' might be my favourite episode so far.

Also watched episode 1 of Losers, and loved it too.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Wonderful show with a marvellously
    sweet
    ending.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,155 ✭✭✭✭km79

Loved it as well
    I also loved Derek though

In other news I watched the second episode of Broken late last night
    I am now broken :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,208 ✭✭✭shamrock55

Watched a couple of episodes of doomsday peppers, all I can say is wow, these people are absolutely bananas, deffo worth watching a few at least but I don't think I could watch it all cos these people just make you want to slap them

• Registered Users Posts: 3,661 ✭✭✭Corvo

Watched Triple Frontier and found myself laughing at it after the initial and admittedly very tense scenes. Totally ridiculous at times.

Hoping to start Love, Death and Robots this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭Uncharted

Afterlife is really worth a watch.
    I know Gervais is human marmite (My wife hates him usually ) but we both thoroughly enjoyed it.
    Really great show,which knows how to tug on a heartstring.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭Uncharted

Love death and robots is really really cool. Absolutely fell in love with the stylisation of some of the movie shorts,particularly 1-3.

Any graphic novel fans ( like me ) will drool over this. Excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭magic_murph

Slattsy wrote: »
    Couldn't really advise anyone on Triple Frontier. Thought it was absolutely awful.

Had great potential and was looking forward too it but it went down hill fairly fast.
    Started decent but 30 minutes in it was just blah.

Shame as it could have been the start of something beautiful

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Thomhic312

I finished love, death, robots and I thought it was great. Some real good shorts. I especially enjoyed the episode "Good Hunting". I do hope for more in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Blanco100

Cannot understand why Gervais has to be the star of everything he writes.

He also seems to use the same actors aswell for his shows.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Jayisplay

I like the look of the new Star Trek series, just wondering if you need to have watched all the old ones before.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Jayisplay wrote: »
    I like the look of the new Star Trek series, just wondering if you need to have watched all the old ones before.
    No, you don't.

It's a new timeline so not a sequel to anything really. A bit of knowledge of the Star Trek universe would be useful though.

As a trekkie, I'm enjoying it.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I'm 2/3 through Love, Death and Robots. It's a bit uneven IMO, and the animation leans more heavily towards CGI than I'd like for an anthology. Some great episodes in there, but also some mediocre stuff. And a fair dose of gore, swearing #nd nudity that feels very gratuitous - though it makes more sense when you find out the project started as a reimagining of Heavy Metal. Thus far "Good Hunting" and "Fish Night" are the best for me, though "The Dump", "Three Robots", and "When The Yoghurt Took Over" were also good (and brought a welcome dose of humour to proceedings).

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,190 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Uncharted wrote: »
    Love death and robots is really really cool. Absolutely fell in love with the stylisation of some of the movie shorts,particularly 1-3.

Any graphic novel fans ( like me ) will drool over this. Excellent.

If you like the first one "Sonnie's Edge" it's worth reading A Second Chance at Eden by Peter F Hamilton, it's a collection of short stories all set in the same universe one of which is Sonnie's Edge. There's also a trilogy of full novels set in that universe called The Night's Dawn too but they're set way into the future after Sonnie's Edge.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Blanco100 wrote: »
    Cannot understand why Gervais has to be the star of everything he writes.

He also seems to use the same actors aswell for his shows.

I think that he understands how to deliver the role properly. It took 1 or 2 seasons for Steve Carrell to get into the role properly in the US Office.

The only one I haven't like is Derek, I've always meant to go back and give it another try.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Corvo wrote: »
    Watched Triple Frontier and found myself laughing at it after the initial and admittedly very tense scenes. Totally ridiculous at times.

I lasted until about the hour 20 mark before losing all interest

• Registered Users Posts: 4,462 ✭✭✭tigger123

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    I think that he understands how to deliver the role properly. It took 1 or 2 seasons for Steve Carrell to get into the role properly in the US Office.

The only one I haven't like is Derek, I've always meant to go back and give it another try.

I wouldn't really agree with that analysis of it. It took the entire show and cast one or two seasons to fully come grips with what they were doing, and after that the US office became its own animal.

While I loved the original Office, for me the US office is a better show overall. More depth, more characterization, more heart. But very different overall to the original.

tigger123 wrote: »
    I wouldn't really agree with that analysis of it. It took the entire show and cast one or two seasons to fully come grips with what they were doing, and after that the US office became its own animal.

While I loved the original Office, for me the US office is a better show overall. More depth, more characterization, more heart. But very different overall to the original.

i mean no disrespect to the US Office at all, massive fan. My comparison is in relation to how Gervais writes for himself and how he plays his role opposed to how well Carrell took some time to get into the same role adapted for US TV. It wasn't an instant fit like Gervais is in his roles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    i mean no disrespect to the US Office at all, massive fan. My comparison is in relation to how Gervais writes for himself and how he plays his role opposed to how well Carrell took some time to get into the same role adapted for US TV. It wasn't an instant fit like Gervais is in his roles.

Gervais plays the same role in all his shows. Its that sarcastic condescending UK humour that was popular in the 90s. The UK office is written around that style of comedy. Fact all his material is around that style, he plays himself. Its a bit Marmite. Which limits its audience.

The US office is an entirely different style of humour. Its not as sarcastic and condescending, probably by design, to make it have boarder appeal in the US market. I would say Carrell plays a similar role to that he plays in other films.

I've never watched either with a critical eye to see what worked and didn't. Its an interesting comparison from all angles. it would be interesting to hear how it all came together.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,190 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

He basically does what Woody Allen did in his early work in terms of writing characters that are loose versions of himself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,309 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

tigger123 wrote: »

The original office feels less like a sitcom and more like your watching the documentary. Very little gag set up its the awkwardness and silences that push it along. The American office is funny but it’s very much a sitcom. I enjoy both but the original was a better watch

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement