Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anti-vaxxers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

OVer a thousand people, mostly children have now died in the Madigascan measles epidemic. Many families are too poor to afford both doses of the vaccine.

If you have been anti-vax and you don’t feel shame and sorrow at this then you are a dickhead. This is not ‘big pharma’. This is people’s, children’s, lives.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-madagascar-measles-idUSKCN1QP0MK?fbclid=IwAR2_SdMirsMcKgI_lxH6S6azsNUgztQA0wy885cyRDOVLehwm1Z5klnTx7s

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

Italy is banning unvaccinated children from schools;

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-47536981

• Registered Users Posts: 13,114 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

kylith wrote: »
    OVer a thousand people, mostly children have now died in the Madigascan measles epidemic. Many families are too poor to afford both doses of the vaccine.

If you have been anti-vax and you don’t feel shame and sorrow at this then you are a dickhead. This is not ‘big pharma’. This is people’s, children’s, lives.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-madagascar-measles-idUSKCN1QP0MK?fbclid=IwAR2_SdMirsMcKgI_lxH6S6azsNUgztQA0wy885cyRDOVLehwm1Z5klnTx7s

Better idea. Send your kids on vacation to Madagascar. This way, they can become immune to measles. All good, right? ;)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭sullivlo

I just realised my new deodorant has aluminium in it. Does that make me autistic?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

sullivlo wrote: »
    I just realised my new deodorant has aluminium in it. Does that make me autistic?

Aluminium? Then I can tell you for certain that it's unethical deodorant. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,582 ✭✭✭✭banie01

No! but it does mean that you are now involved in the 9/11 conspiracy ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭batgoat

banie01 wrote: »
    No! but it does mean that you are now involved in the 9/11 conspiracy ;)

Armpits can't sweat at that temperature.

batgoat wrote: »
    Armpits can't sweat at that temperature.

But the elemental aluminium residue would be indicative of thermite :P

• Registered Users Posts: 40,285 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

banie01 wrote: »
    But the elemental aluminium residue would be indicative of thermite :P

Do you suffer a lot from rust under your arms?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Nah. It's the chemtrails that are making you autistic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,114 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Measles diagnoses for 77 people now in Washington state; https://www.oregonlive.com/clark-county/2019/03/measles-outbreak-vancouver-area-epidemic-grows-to-77-confirmed-cases.html

At least 228 US-wide this year (it's only March) in the US. 12 states affected: https://edition.cnn.com/2019/03/12/health/228-measles-cases-nationwide-cdc/index.html

Make sure your kids are up to date if you travel to the US. It's an airborne virus and can live on airplanes: https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S1477893912001202

85 last year in Ireland: https://www.thejournal.ie/measles-ireland-4350055-Dec2018/. Can't find current data, there was an outbreak in Donegal reported in February.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭Mike Oxlong

Do you suffer a lot from rust under your arms?

No but...

Gingers do ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,113 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

My god one quoted as saying

"Preventing my child from being with his class, his teacher, his classroom has had a significant social and psychological impact."

Has she any idea of the real impact measles could have on her son ? These people make me furious

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    My god one quoted as saying

"Preventing my child from being with his class, his teacher, his classroom has had a significant social and psychological impact."

Has she any idea of the real impact measles could have on her son ? These people make me furious
    It's not everyone else preventing her son from going to school, it's a direct result of her choice. She can't have it both ways. If she doesn't want to vaccinate her child, then she can home school him. Other people and their kids shouldn't be put at risk because of her misguided beliefs. The only acceptable reason for not vaccinating a child is if there is a medical reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭waxmoth

mzungu wrote: »
    Aluminum adjuvanted vaccines are subunit so they would be ineffective without the adjuvant.
    That is my point. If the adjuvant has an effect and is a component of the tested drug then only an inert placebo will (in sufficiently powered trials) show the true risk.
    The studies show that in cases where it is ethical and logistical to use saline placebos in trials, they have been used.
    There is no logistical difference between injecting a saline solution and an adjuvant component. In practice using adjuvant components as placebo masks adjuvant specific side effects .
    If you are looking for studies with more participants that used a placebo then the clinical trials for Gardasil would be what you are looking for. Most of the study participants received the aluminium adjuvant except one (protocol 18) that was conducted on girls and boys aged 9-15 years old. The placebo used was a saline solution. 1184 were randomised to receive the vaccine and 596 randomised to receive the saline solution placebo.
    In that trial there were 5 serious adverse events in the vaccine arm shortly after 1st or 2nd dose (max 11 days) and none in the saline arm.
    Overall, 5 serious adverse experiences were reported through month 18, all of which occurred among the quadrivalent HPV vaccine recipients.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,216 ✭✭✭jh79

waxmoth wrote: »
    That is my point. If the adjuvant has an effect and is a component of the tested drug then only an inert placebo will (in sufficiently powered trials) show the true risk.

There is no logistical difference between injecting a saline solution and an adjuvant component. In practice using adjuvant components as placebo masks adjuvant specific side effects .

In that trial there were 5 serious adverse events in the vaccine arm shortly after 1st or 2nd dose (max 11 days) and none in the saline arm.

I take it the adjuvant makes the vaccine more effective, so were these adverse effects serious enough to warrant the use of a less effective non-adjuvant containing vaccine?

Studies have shown no long term difference in adverse effecrs between adjuvant and non adjuvant containing vaccines.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1473309904009272

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭sullivlo

jh79 wrote: »
    I take it the adjuvant makes the vaccine more effective, so were these adverse effects serious enough to warrant the use of a less effective non-adjuvant containing vaccine?

Studies have shown no long term difference in adverse effecrs between adjuvant and non adjuvant containing vaccines.

What can change is efficacy of the vaccine. Some vaccines need adjuvants to initiate the initial immune response. New vaccine research is focusing on self-adjuvanting vaccines.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

It has been outlined previously why trials use adjuvants and why it is ethical and above board. In fact it would be unethical not to administer them to participants during trials.

Bearing in mind that nothing is 100% safe, what risk are you referring to and why hasn't anything major reared its head over the past seven decades?
    The serious events were bronchospasm, gastroenteritis, headache, vaginal haemorrhage and severe site reaction. These events occurred in 0.1% (1/1000) of participants. A minuscule amount.

Incidentally, two serious events were also recorded among participants in the placebo group.

Some might have possibly been caused by the vaccine, others probably and others definitely. A very small figure either way. Nothing is 100% safe and some peoples systems will not react well to it. It is a small risk to take for non-life-threatening events that might occur. The fallout from HPV puts all those recorded side effects into perspective. The events in Ireland over the past 12 months should attest to that.

Gardasil was approved for use and it passed the rigorous testing procedures.
    so were these adverse effects serious enough to warrant the use of a less effective non-adjuvant containing vaccine?
    See above.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭waxmoth

It does, but it also can very effectively adjuvant a self antigen in a subset of people which seems to be what causes the majority of debilitating autoimmune side effects. So vaccines should be then used more sparingly where there is no alternative, and the risk profile and safety measures independently ascertained.

As it is vaccines are being produced by commercial entities with questionable safety regulation who then lobby for their introduction into state health systems. The recent introduction of the HPV vaccine for boys here is an example of this – Gardasil 9 with double the amount of aluminium adjuvant compared to the current quadrivalent version and what looks very like a dose response increase in serious adverse events in a trial comparing 9 valent to 4 valent (3.3% vs 2.6% in a selected population)
    https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa1405044

They acknowledge in the paper that evidence is insufficient and then go on to suggest no further study is necessary - sounds unscientific?.
    Despite a lack of good-quality evidence we do not recommend that any further research on this topic is undertaken.
    Overall, the methodological quality of included studies was low. Few reports gave details of the randomisation process, allocation concealment, reasons for withdrawals, or strategies to deal with them in analysis. Inconsistencies in reporting, lack of clarity on numerators and denominators, variability of outcome definitions, and lack of outcome definitions led to much loss of data

The serious events were bronchospasm, gastroenteritis, headache, vaginal haemorrhage and severe site reaction. These events occurred in 0.1% (1/1000) of participants. A minuscule amount.

From the paper describing the five SAE’s in the vaccine arm.
    Two of these serious adverse experiences occurred 6 days and 2 days, respectively, after the first injection: acute renal failure (subject recovered and discontinued from study); and insulin dependent diabetes mellitus. Three occurred 2 days, 11 days and 3 days, respectively, after the second injection: localized infection; anemia and dysfunctional uterine bleeding; and appendicitis.
    Some might have possibly been caused by the vaccine, others probably and others definitely. A very small figure either way. Nothing is 100% safe and some peoples systems will not react well to it. It is a small risk to take for non-life-threatening events that might occur.
    Risk is fine as long as those taking the risk are aware and take that risk without coercion. The current situation is health providers are not advising of risk, not making a thorough effort to screen potential susceptibles and, generally, efforts are being made to stigmatise/penalise those who do not want to take the risk.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭batgoat

Love it with antivaxxers fake being scientific.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,216 ✭✭✭jh79

They acknowledge in the paper that evidence is insufficient and then go on to suggest no further study is necessary - sounds unscientific.

We found no evidence that aluminium salts in vaccines cause any serious or long-lasting adverse events. Despite a lack of good-quality evidence we do not recommend that any further research on this topic is undertaken.

Not sure where you got insufficient from.

Unscientific would be to continue to research a theory that has no evidence to support it. The quality of the evidence would only be signifcant if there were adverse events and a figure with a good degree of confidence was needed. "Good" is not meant in the normal way it's a grading term for trials.

By the way how can you support medical marijuana with its poor quality research and modest benefits yet be against well researched vaccines that have literally saved millions upon millions of lives?

mzungu wrote:

From the paper describing the five SAE’s in the vaccine arm.
    Two of these serious adverse experiences occurred 6 days and 2 days, respectively, after the first injection: acute renal failure (subject recovered and discontinued from study); and insulin dependent diabetes mellitus. Three occurred 2 days, 11 days and 3 days, respectively, after the second injection: localized infection; anemia and dysfunctional uterine bleeding; and appendicitis.
    Those are not related to the vaccine. So just for clarification, this is also from that same study that you quoted above....
    Overall, 5 serious adverse experiences were reported through month 18, all of which occurred among the quadrivalent HPV vaccine recipients. None of these serious adverse experiences was judged by the investigator to be vaccine related.
    I have bolded the appropriate line. Those adverse experiences were not vaccine related. So there is nothing to worry about there.

Risk is fine as long as those taking the risk are aware and take that risk without coercion. The current situation is health providers are not advising of risk, not making a thorough effort to screen potential susceptibles and, generally...

Who is being coerced, though? Health care providers do advise of any potential risks, minuscule as they are. Efforts have always been made to identify where there might be a risk, and the oodles of clinical trials and studies that have been carried out attest to that. The one thing you will always hear, when the question arises, is that vaccines, like everything else, are not 100% safe. Everybody knows this. Everybody accepts this. On websites for vaccinations they also mention the possible side effects, so it is not a case of it being brushed under the carpet. It's out there in the open.
    .... efforts are being made to stigmatise/penalise those who do not want to take the risk.
    These people that wish to avoid the risk, if they want to be consistent, should also never drive, cross the road, go for a swim or play any kind of sport etc as there is probably more chance of coming to harm via those everyday activities.

I also do not believe that those same people are being stigmatised or penalised. They are, however, being asked to view their decision through a more objective lens. The media has now copped on and stopped giving equal airtime to the anti-vaxx campaigners, ditto social media. This is only fair because the weight of evidence is against them.

Furthermore, when you have the likes of measles outbreaks, it can pose a health risk to both young and old that have weakened immune systems arising from other illnesses. People don't like seeing the vulnerable being put in harms way for no good reason. It's a natural human reaction to be annoyed at selfishness that endangers others. People that don't vaccinate their children made that choice. They might feel like they are being stigmatised, but its more a case of nobody wanting to appease bunk anti-vaxx ideology anymore. The consequences of indulging it are far too serious. People that decide not to vaccinate are not the victims here.

If anything, I believe anti-vaxxers are, by and large, treated with the kid gloves.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,578 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

More cases of mumps so far in 2019 than all of last year

There have been more cases of mumps in the first 11 weeks of 2019, than all of last year.
    The latest weekly report from the HSE has found there's been 593 cases of mumps so far.

Breakdown:
    East Region - 204
    Midlands - 21
    Mid-Western - 47
    North Eastern - 117
    North Western - 66
    South Eastern - 26
    Southern - 16
    Western - 96

My understanding is that the Mumps is very contagious.

Anti Vaxxers are putting people in danger at this stage.

The latest tactic from virulent(ironically) AntiVaxxers!
    To harass and attack bereaved parents and treat them as if they are "crisis actors"!
    This is the same type of BS that conspiracy theorists tried to peddle about Sandy Hook and other mass shootings!
    The angle now is that the bereaved are lying to support the Big Pharma and Government vaccine conspiracies!

Absolute and utter fúcking scumbags!!!

https://www.cnn.com/2019/03/19/health/anti-vax-harassment-eprise/index.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭mulbot

grahambo wrote: »
    More cases of mumps so far in 2019 than all of last year

There have been more cases of mumps in the first 11 weeks of 2019, than all of last year.
    The latest weekly report from the HSE has found there's been 593 cases of mumps so far.

Breakdown:

My understanding is that the Mumps is very contagious.

Anti Vaxxers are putting people in danger at this stage.

Why such a high number of cases in the 15-24 Yr old?

mulbot wrote: »

That age group coincides with the fraud Andrew Wakefields bogus findings of a link between vaccines and autism. At the time it caused a big scare, parents stopped getting vaccines and now we are seeing the results of that.

Would tie in quite well with the 1st wave of vaccine refusals post the publication of Wakefield's fraudulent study in '98.
    The panic induced in a lot of parents at the time led to a lot of skipped MMR jabs.

Spread through kissing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Martina1991

mulbot wrote:
    Mumps is nicknamed the kissing disease.

It'd spread like wildfire at a teenage disco.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement