Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anti-vaxxers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,216 ✭✭✭jh79

mulbot wrote: »
    Yes that's along the lines of what I was asking. Something like hospitals, or schools, should all teachers for instance have mandatory booster vaccines, flu vaccine etc. Is it mandatory in your workplace or is it offered?

Just offered but i work in Pharma have no contact with the general public.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,863 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

jh79 wrote: »
    Personally think if it can be shown to be cost effective then it should be mandatory and that it should be mandatory for nurses and doctors. I suspect the low uptake is more to do with sick days being used as holidays then any concern over its safety. I get it free in work every year. Can't really phone in sick with the flu now.

Offered for free in my workplace too. (Same industry) And I always get it, though unfortunately still ended up off work for a week last month with what certainly seemed like the flu (temps of 39.9). Will still get the shot next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I'd imagine a big issue with the flu (and then the vaccine as a knock on) is all the people who think they had the flu when they had a cold.

Its seen as not that bad. I had the flu once. I was bed ridden in pain soaked in sweat. Putting on Facebook how I was missing work cos I wasnt well with "a bit of flu" wouldnt have even entered my head if I was capable of thinking straight.

I dont get the flu jab though. Not because any anti vaxx ****ehawkery but because I'm a man and I dont get sick (Male attitude) and a fear of needles :) I can justify this to myself because I'm not in an at risk group.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭1641

I'd imagine a big issue with the flu (and then the vaccine as a knock on) is all the people who think they had the flu when they had a cold.

Its seen as not that bad. I had the flu once. I was bed ridden in pain soaked in sweat. Putting on Facebook how I was missing work cos I wasnt well with "a bit of flu" wouldnt have even entered my head if I was capable of thinking straight.

I dont get the flu jab though. Not because any anti vaxx ****ehawkery but because I'm a man and I dont get sick (Male attitude) and a fear of needles :) I can justify this to myself because I'm not in an at risk group.

Yeah, its amazing how often you hear of someone say they had a "bit of flu". I had it once many years ago, as a teenager. I think I would have have been seen as strong, fit and healthy. But it absolutely floored me. I was just about able to drag myself to the bathroom, otherwise too weak to move out of bed. Also quite delirious for a while- and definitely not in a good way. A very debilitating condition. Easy to see how dangerous it could be for the elderly or anyone medically compromised.
    I used to get the jab through a work scheme. But I continue it now privately. Its not a guarantee but anything to reduce the risk - of getting it or spreading it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

The huns will love this ...twas the pesticides all along

https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.l962

Results:

Risk of autism spectrum disorder was associated with prenatal exposure to glyphosate (odds ratio 1.16, 95% confidence interval 1.06 to 1.27), chlorpyrifos (1.13, 1.05 to 1.23), diazinon (1.11, 1.01 to 1.21), malathion (1.11, 1.01 to 1.22), avermectin (1.12, 1.04 to 1.22), and permethrin (1.10, 1.01 to 1.20). For autism spectrum disorder with intellectual disability, estimated odds ratios were higher (by about 30%) for prenatal exposure to glyphosate (1.33, 1.05 to 1.69), chlorpyrifos (1.27, 1.04 to 1.56), diazinon (1.41, 1.15 to 1.73), permethrin (1.46, 1.20 to 1.78), methyl bromide (1.33, 1.07 to 1.64), and myclobutanil (1.32, 1.09 to 1.60); exposure in the first year of life increased the odds for the disorder with comorbid intellectual disability by up to 50% for some pesticide substances

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Mumps is nicknamed the kissing disease.

It'd spread like wildfire at a teenage disco.

Kissing disease is mono not mumps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Let’s not forget it was only 100 years ago when the Spanish flu reaked havoc.
    And there’s a conspiracy for that.
    https://respectfulinsolence.com/2018/11/09/spanish-flu-pandemic-of-1918-was-caused-by-experimental-vaccine/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭mulbot

But are you still not at risk of spreading it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Martina1991

Orion wrote:
    Kissing disease is mono not mumps.
    Sorry yeah wrong name but mumps can still be spread by saliva.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

New York Suburb bans unvaccinated children from public places under their control for a month

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2019/mar/26/measles-outbreak-new-york-state-of-emergency-rockland-county
    A suburb of New York City has declared a state of emergency and banned unvaccinated children from public areas, as the United States struggles to control a series of measles outbreaks.

Rockland county, five miles north-west of New York City, announced the measure on Tuesday afternoon after recording 153 cases of measles since October.

It is the latest region of the US to take drastic steps to counter the virus, with the spike in measles cases leading to concerns that anti-vaccine parents may be putting their children at risk.

Well done the flat earthers!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭rawn

New York Suburb bans unvaccinated children from public places under their control for a month

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2019/mar/26/measles-outbreak-new-york-state-of-emergency-rockland-county

Well done the flat earthers!

I just don't understand how that would be enforced though.

Martial law of course! It's a plot! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭jooksavage

James O'Brien on LBC having a phone in about it now. Some interesting guests - mostly professionals who work in disease control and immunology. Their frustration is palpable.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,677 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I was just going to post about that county in New York State. I know there are people who can't be vaccinated for legitimate reasons but religion is not a valid reason to not vaccinate your kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Noo

1641 wrote: »
    Yeah, its amazing how often you hear of someone say they had a "bit of flu". I had it once many years ago, as a teenager. I think I would have have been seen as strong, fit and healthy. But it absolutely floored me. I was just about able to drag myself to the bathroom, otherwise too weak to move out of bed. Also quite delirious for a while- and definitely not in a good way. A very debilitating condition. Easy to see how dangerous it could be for the elderly or anyone medically compromised.
    I used to get the jab through a work scheme. But I continue it now privately. Its not a guarantee but anything to reduce the risk - of getting it or spreading it.

Its very frustrating. Especially when people argue with you, "I had the flu", "no you had a very bad cold, if it was the flu you'd really know about it", "no it was the flu". Fine, it was the flu, and your miraculous 2 day recovery should be studied by science. Look, a cold can really suck, I'm currently lying on the couch off work with one, but it's certainly not the flu.

I had the flu as a kid once and I remember having the freakiest ass dreams (now I know that was me being delirious), my mother trying to force me to take even just one bite of toast, and trying to get out of bed to go to the bathroom only to nearly collapse from the weakness.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,002 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Noo wrote: »
    Its very frustrating. Especially when people argue with you, "I had the flu", "no you had a very bad cold, if it was the flu you'd really know about it", "no it was the flu". Fine, it was the flu, and your miraculous 2 day recovery should be studied by science. Look, a cold can really suck, I'm currently lying on the couch off work with one, but it's certainly not the flu.

I had the flu as a kid once and I remember having the freakiest ass dreams (now I know that was me being delirious), my mother trying to force me to take even just one bite of toast, and trying to get out of bed to go to the bathroom only to nearly collapse from the weakness.

It’s a similar phenomenon to people who have “food poisoning “ for a day, when it’s probably a vommiting bug.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,962 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

jester77 wrote: »
    TBH that's America where medical costs can be insane.

In the rest of the "developed world" there's no excuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,885 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Tonight I spotted the most withering and devastating bit of black humour about this topic:

"Two things that never get old:

1. Making fun of Anti-Vaxxers

2. Their children"

Cold.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Conorbarry1984

Tbh I don’t know much about vaccinations so I like to get my advice form the experts, in this case surely the WHO are to be listened to and when they say that anti vaxxers are one of the 10 biggest threats to human health in the coming years that says it all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭Dr Brown

Tbh I don’t know much about vaccinations so I like to get my advice form the experts, in this case surely the WHO are to be listened to and when they say that anti vaxxers are one of the 10 biggest threats to human health in the coming years that says it all.

These are the same "experts" who recommended the swine flu vaccine

https://www.thejournal.ie/pandemrix-narcolepsy-link-study-1447040-May2014/

Dr Brown wrote: »

Fair enough “Dr” Brown, like I said I don’t know much about it, so are you saying I should ignore the advice of the worlds largest body of health professionals??

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭sullivlo

Fair enough “Dr” Brown, like I said I don’t know much about it, so are you saying I should ignore the advice of the worlds largest body of health professionals??

Yes. Yes he is.

There is no logic to antivax.

You should be skeptical the so called "experts" are not always right.

Just like in Ireland 12 years ago when all the mainstream "economists" said there would be no housing crash in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,285 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Just like in Ireland 12 years ago when all the mainstream "economists" said there would be no housing crash in Ireland.

Do you know who are never right? the anti-vax crowd.

Unless you are an idiot you will understand the logical sense of herd vaccination.

Pity you have chosen to besmirch the name of Dr Noel Brown.

What kind of world would we live in if we all decided to ignore the experts in every field.

Do you know who are never right? the anti-vax crowd.

Not in the case of the Swine Flu vaccine or the HPV vaccine.

Centres were set up in Denmark to treat girls who were damaged by the HPV vaccine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭WinnyThePoo

The level of stupid is utterly fascinating and terrifying behind anti vaxxers.

The damage Andrew Wakefield caused for the pursuit of money is horrifying and a long jail stay would be what he deserves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Centres were set up in Denmark to treat girls who were damaged by the HPV vaccine.

Any links to that?

That is not on a holistic blog site?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement