Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anti-vaxxers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭TheRepentent

I am married to a GP and while he privately supports our stance, he would be crucified if it was publicly known he was against vaccines. A number of his colleagues feel the same way.

Cool story bro..........

Wanna support genocide?Cheer on the murder of women and children?The Ruzzians aren't rapey enough for you? Morally bankrupt cockroaches and islamaphobes , Israel needs your help NOW!!

http://tinyurl.com/2ksb4ejk

https://www.btselem.org/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭batgoat

My view of people with autism? What are you talking about?
    You would rather endanger the lives of children because of the baseless assumptions that vaccines cause autism. Autism is bad enough to risk your child's life? That's how I've made the conclusion. In addition, you're now claiming to be married to a GP as if that adds credence to your argument, it doesn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭wobatkicker23

I suspect the fact that you would prefer your son to die from measles than risk him becoming autistic.

Ask your husband how many children become brain damaged from measles etc.

I would take slight brain damage over severe autism any day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

Who said it would only be slight brain damage?

My husband.

• Advertisement

My husband.
    lol

Wanna support genocide?Cheer on the murder of women and children?The Ruzzians aren't rapey enough for you? Morally bankrupt cockroaches and islamaphobes , Israel needs your help NOW!!

lol

Oh ok you know more than a doctor now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭batgoat

Roald Dahl's daughter died as a result of encephalatis via measles. Wrote this letter in relation to it.

https://www.roalddahl.com/roald-dahl/timeline/1960s/november-1962

Oh ok you know more than a doctor now.
    What doctor?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

https://www.cdc.gov/measles/about/complications.html
    Common Complications
    Common measles complications include ear infections and diarrhea.

Ear infections occur in about one out of every 10 children with measles and can result in permanent hearing loss.
    Severe Complications
    Some people may suffer from severe complications, such as pneumonia (infection of the lungs) and encephalitis (swelling of the brain). They may need to be hospitalized and could die.

As many as one out of every 20 children with measles gets pneumonia, the most common cause of death from measles in young children.
    About one child out of every 1,000 who get measles will develop encephalitis (swelling of the brain) that can lead to convulsions and can leave the child deaf or with intellectual disability.
    For every 1,000 children who get measles, one or two will die from it.
    Measles may cause pregnant woman to give birth prematurely, or have a low-birth-weight baby.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,108 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Slight ? Believe you me I know its not slight . I have nursed children brain damaged from measles encephalitis and it is not by any stretch slight . Its is devastatingly horrible

batgoat wrote: »
    Roald Dahl's daughter died as a result of encephalatis via measles. Wrote this letter in relation to it.

https://www.roalddahl.com/roald-dahl/timeline/1960s/november-1962

Without her dying we wouldn’t have gotten The BFG.

Obviously not saying her dying was a good thing necessarily but everything happens for a reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Spleerbun

I don't follow this vax debate much as I find it so ridiculous, but I wonder is it one of the few topics where both those on the left and right side of the political spectrum can down tools and come together on? And as a result weed out the proper retards among us (ironically yes, the biggest retards of them all) who are anti vaccinations?

Or does this debate debate also have a left Vs right political element to it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭francois

I am married to a GP

No you are not

Looks like we have a real live troll here: new account, few posts...don't bother feeding

francois wrote: »
    Looks like we have a real live troll here: new account, few posts...don't bother feeding

Oh right I’m a troll now because I don’t tow the vaccine line.

And you wonder why people are afraid to question the status quo.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,108 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

No , because you are spouting rubbish

Fart

Yup. Posting history with a few cliched CT tropes. Not particularly original,but you got a few responses.
    *golf clap*
    4/10 for effort

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭Mike Oxlong

I don't think it's slight

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

Spleerbun wrote: »

Or does this debate debate also have a left Vs right political element to it?
    It has been politicised, but I would be hesitant to attach a left-wing or right-wing label onto it. You will come across anti-vaxxers of all political persuasions and none. The common denominator of those leading the anti-vaxx conspiracy theories is that all of them are making money out of it in some, way, shape or form. They see a market for scaremongering, selling "herbal cures" and "think yourself well again" self help books and other new age quackery. Sure look at Wakefield, the man responsible for these new measles outbreaks. He wasn't anti-vaccination, he just wanted his vaccine to be used so he could make a fortune.

When it comes to people on the ground that buy into all their anti-vaxx quackery, I don't think you could divide them by left or right either. We are talking more about personality type IMO. You can usually split them into two camps, the belligerent ones that "don't want to do what the man tells them to". The second would be more naive and believe everything they see on Facebook is true. The former will usually always have other "theories" regarding chemtrails/flouride/insert other and think of themselves as "outside the box" and "in the know." The latter will go from barmy idea to barmy idea without ever being a true believer. If it wasn't anti-vaxx they would be taken in by something else.

Look at it this way. All political parties from The Workers Party to Solidarity/PBP to SF, Lab and Soc Dems to FF and FG are all pro-vaccination. Those against it are usually Independents and a few scatterings of backbenchers from one or two of the main parties. It is one of the few issues that all (well most) of the TDs in Dáil Éireann would agree on.

This has political and medical consensus. Even the Catholic church are fine with them! But the internet is a funny place. The message is uncontrolled and this makes it easy to whip up fear. It's like the old saying that “a lie travels halfway around the world before the truth puts its shoes on.”

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭sullivlo

Without her dying we wouldn’t have gotten The BFG.

Obviously not saying her dying was a good thing necessarily but everything happens for a reason.

I don’t even...

Eh...

No. Best not.

What a moronic post. Horrible.

I know how vaccines work. I have a PhD in the field, and I worked as an immunologist dealing with immune responses to vaccines. So my years of research and work probably mean I know what I’m talking about.

Vaccines are safe and a benefit to society. You are neither.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Some of the sheeple on this thread are outrageously niaeve. None of you have an understanding of how vaccines work or the side affects they may incur but are happy to brand anti-vaxxers as loons.

I haven’t vaccinated my son and won’t be doing so in the future. Look into it before you declare judgement.
    So you're risking your son's life based on anti scientific nonsense and wootube videos. Well done.

sullivlo wrote: »
    I don’t even...

Eh...

No. Best not.

What a moronic post. Horrible.

I know how vaccines work. I have a PhD in the field, and I worked as an immunologist dealing with immune responses to vaccines. So my years of research and work probably mean I know what I’m talking about.

Vaccines are safe and a benefit to society. You are neither.
    In the field?

What’s your thesis on?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,732 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

The burden of proof is on you.

You're making the assertions. I'm not doing your work for you.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭sullivlo

In the field?

What’s your thesis on?

A more relevant topic than yours.

I have worked on the immune response in different types of cells, from the immune system being over active in disorders like rheumatoid arthritis, to drug resistant bacteria and how our bodies respond to them, and most importantly: vaccine development.

No work was funded by NWO or any other tinfoil hat group.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,919 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

I am saying that there are question marks. They haven’t been proved safe.
    There are no question marks about the risks to health of preventable disease.

There are no question that some diseases can be completely eradicated.

In healthcare the burden of proof lies with the side who are saying it’s safe.
    So you are saying that millions more people should die because you refuse to accept survey after survey shows that autism is not correlated with vaccine use.

The burden of proof was met.

Continuing to deny evidence does not make it go away, it does not refute it.

I am married to a GP and while he privately supports our stance, he would be crucified if it was publicly known he was against vaccines. A number of his colleagues feel the same way.
    Yeah, right .

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,732 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

You're not questioning anything. You're posting nonsense that even you can't be bothered to elaborate on or substantiate. It's simply getting an appropriate response.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 25,449 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Talking from personal experience?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

The burden of proof is on you.

What? That's not how it works at all.

There are thousands of peer reviewed and confirmed studies proving there is -no-link between autism and vaccinations.

You're claiming there is a link, so you need to prove it. The burden of proof is on you.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement