Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) NOTICE: YOU MAY SWAP EXAM GRIDS

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15 marc24

user115 wrote: »
    I think you have it all covered, only other ones I can think of are Consumer Rights Directive 2011 and Consumer Sales Directive 1999. The Sales Directive was transposed via European Communities Directive 2003. This question came up for me last year had a lot prepped on it. I didn't go into any case law as the question never asked for it and examiner commented that I should have so be sure and throw in a few cases to make sure your well covered. Last year it was essay and then you could have applied Unfair Ct terms to another problem question so consumer law def worth doing, she definitely really likes consumer law qs

Does anyone have any cases for the EU directives section? I have a couple for the SOG but couldn't find any cases for the EU stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭Wonderstruck

Contract - can anyone confirm/ correct this? So confused

Undue Influence:

Class 1 - actual - need to show relationship of trust and transaction of no personal benefit/ manifest disadvantage
    Class 2A - presumed - e.g. doctor/ patient - just need to show relationship then evidential burden shifts and don't need to prove unfairness of the bargain
    Class 2B - de facto - need to show relationship of trust/ confidence but once you do evidential burden shifts and you do need to prove unfairness of the bargain

Thanks!

Yeah that's how I'd see it, 2a and 2b have opposite burdens of proof ie there is no assumption in class 2b but in 2a there is a clear suspicion there... Class 1 there could also be straight up bullying etc so you don't necessarily need manifest disadvantage see CIBC Mortgages v Pitt.

sbbyrne wrote: »
    Can someone explain Initial/Subsequent failure with regards to Cy-Pres doctrine please? I keep getting the two confused, even though i dont think its that complicated! :)

Thanks!

(I know there was a post a few pages back but i can't seem to find it again!)

Initial failure something like a trust for the prevention of smallpox right now in 2019 when it has been cured, that fails as there is no such disease.

Subsquent failure something like a trust is 1950 set up to prevent small box, then when smallpox was cured in the 1970s what can one do with the money left? Go to court and the court can use Cy pres so that the money can be used for something else eg malaria prevention.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭sbbyrne

Initial failure something like a trust for the prevention of smallpox right now in 2019 when it has been cured, that fails as there is no such disease.

Subsquent failure something like a trust is 1950 set up to prevent small box, then when smallpox was cured in the 1970s what can one do with the money left? Go to court and the court can use Cy pres so that the money can be used for something else eg malaria prevention.

That's a great way of explaining it, i get it now, finally! Thank you so much that's really helpful!

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭SwD

That's a great way of explaining it, i get it now, finally! Thank you so much that's really helpful!

Agreed. Very helpful.

Can someone confirm in what context the Charitable question came up in the last sitting. Problem q, pure cy-pres, etc?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭sapphire309

SwD wrote: »
    Agreed. Very helpful.

Can someone confirm in what context the Charitable question came up in the last sitting. Problem q, pure cy-pres, etc?

Essay question asking the circumstances in which cy-pres doctrine is invoked, referring to initial and subsequent failures of charitable purposes.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Legal_Eagle_95

EU

Think I might swap free movement of workers for private international law but not sure that's a wise choice. I've bit the bullet and learned competition law so just don't have time for the full internal market chapter! Just feel there is so much to do for EU it's impossible to get it all covered, hoping it's a sound paper

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭scooby321

EU

Does anyone happen to have the Independent College predictions for EU? I haven't covered half of the course yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Smiley283

Does anyone have a case summary of king v dubrey? Only roughly making up notes for DMC now

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭nimcdona

I'll have time to do estoppel or recission, anyone any thoughts on which one might hold more importance?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭jus_me

For EU I’ve covered;
    Institutions
    Enforcement proceedings (258&260)
    Article 263
    FMOG
    General principles
    Equality
    Competition 101 &102
    Supremacy
    Direct effect
    Citizenship
    Free movement of workers
    Freedom of establishment

Anything marjorly important I’m forgetting??

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭SwD

nimcdona wrote: »
    I'll have time to do estoppel or recission, anyone any thoughts on which one might hold more importance?

Estoppel, plus cases are simple. Test is straightforward: assurance; reliance; detriment.

nimcdona wrote: »

Estoppel came last time really easy q too... idk if recission did (I didn't study it as far as I remember). Yeah see poster above, it's on like 3 different FE1 exams, four if you want to count legitimate expectation so you might as well cover it! I'm presuming you're talking about the equity exam.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭lisac223

Estoppel, plus cases are simple. Test is straightforward: assurance; reliance; detriment.

Agree with this, this is what I'm doing, leaving our rescission (mainly because I keep mixing up the mistake and misrepresentation cases with the same defences to SP :pac: )

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭lawlad101

Contract law - covering:

Offer and Acceptance
    Consideration
    Promissory estoppel
    Capacity
    Terms
    Exemption clauses
    Consumer
    Misrepresentation
    Mistake
    Duress
    Undue influence
    Discharge
    Damages

Surely enough??

Lads probs too late now but I emailed the OPW on Friday to see about buying a copy of the Consumer legislation - heard nada then or today (I know it's a Bank Holiday) but just wondering is that the correct procedure? Or is there another way to buy it?

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Supermax1988

Lads probs too late now but I emailed the OPW on Friday to see about buying a copy of the Consumer legislation - heard nada then or today (I know it's a Bank Holiday) but just wondering is that the correct procedure? Or is there another way to buy it?

Think they only email you back to tell you to ring the office! I'd say ring them first thing tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭sbbyrne

Think they only email you back to tell you to ring the office! I'd say ring them first thing tomorrow.

I think they're fairly quick for posting things out so you should be ok!

Thanks a mill - will call them tomorrow! Also anyone got any info on the contract examiner - what's the pass rate like, are they strict and what do they like to see? Thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Charles OCK

Small bit random but would anybody have a case to illustrate the Doctrine of Election?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭jewels652

Eu

Would it be safe to leave out preliminary reference proceedings and all of competition law?? Covering everything else

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Smiley283

lawlad101 wrote: »
    Contract law - covering:

Offer and Acceptance
    Consideration
    Promissory estoppel
    Capacity
    Terms
    Exemption clauses
    Consumer
    Misrepresentation
    Mistake
    Duress
    Undue influence
    Discharge
    Damages

Surely enough??

I'm doing the same as you but with the addition of intention to create legal relations and another poster on boards.ie advised me to cover privity as it is a common enough essay and didn't come up in the last paper

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Fe12017

Hi all. I have a question regarding Trusts for Prevention or Relief of Poverty which hopefully somebody might be able to clarify.

Is it still the case that any of the charitable purposes also need to have a public benefit?

Given that s.3(8) of the Charities Act 2009 provides that a limitation on the persons who may benefit will not be justified where any of the intended beneficiaries have a personal connection with the donor, does this now mean that the poor relations case law will no longer apply? And if a future trust presents facts such as that in Re Segelman (gift for poor and needy members of a class of testators relations), would this trust not be seems as a charitable trust?

Would appreciate any opinions!

Cheers

I think they're fairly quick for posting things out so you should be ok!

They couriered mine in 2017 (i ordered everything at once) which was a disaster as unlike the postman they had no clue where my mum lived down the country so my acta ended up languishing in the local shop for 2 months until my mum went it to get milk and that were like someone left a bunch of laws here??? So very quick! But even regular post shouldn't take more than 2 days within Dublin, it's rarely even three days down the country (I send a lot of post!)

Fe12017 wrote: »
    Hi all. I have a question regarding Trusts for Prevention or Relief of Poverty which hopefully somebody might be able to clarify.

Is it still the case that any of the charitable purposes also need to have a public benefit?

Given that s.3(8) of the Charities Act 2009 provides that a limitation on the persons who may benefit will not be justified where any of the intended beneficiaries have a personal connection with the donor, does this now mean that the poor relations case law will no longer apply? And if a future trust presents facts such as that in Re Segelman (gift for poor and needy members of a class of testators relations), would this trust not be seems as a charitable trust?

Would appreciate any opinions!

Cheers

Yes they still need to have a public benefit under s(3)(2) 2009 Act: "A purpose shall not be a charitable purpose unless it is of public benefit."

And also yes, Biehler notes that the "poor relations" and "poor employees" cases will rarely be applied in Ireland going forward except under the very limited section in s(3)(7) 2009 Act "having regard to the nature of the purpose of the gift".

So basically verrrry limited re future poor & need relatives cases in Ireland. Seglemen dcd was English though so I don't know if the same can be said for England & Wales. Feel free to correct me if I am wrong!

Small bit random but would anybody have a case to illustrate the Doctrine of Election?

Just two tiny ones:

Williams v Mayne: the court said when the donee obtains a benefit he cannot relinquish the burden.

Cooper v Cooper: court noted there is an obligation on the donee to give full effect to the instrument which bestowed his benefit.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Charles OCK

lisac223 wrote: »
    Just two tiny ones:

Williams v Mayne: the court said when the donee obtains a benefit he cannot relinquish the burden.

Cooper v Cooper: court noted there is an obligation on the donee to give full effect to the instrument which bestowed his benefit.

Thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭holliek

Does anyone get mixed up with proprietary estoppel and rectification for equity??

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭holliek

Are people covering illegal contracts for contract?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭Breacnua

holliek wrote: »
    Are people covering illegal contracts for contract?

Wondering the same

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement