Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) NOTICE: YOU MAY SWAP EXAM GRIDS

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Yohnathan

What came up in Constitutional? I'm unsure myself?

• Registered Users Posts: 15 xBell123

What are peoples thoughts on leaving out institutions for EU? I cannot get my head around it and its massive.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 GF612

I'm thinking of including Institutions, actually doing notes on it right now - but it's a mess!

Would also be interested if anyone is leaving this out / what people are thinking of leaving out for EU. The course is too big to get everything covered!

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Joanneom

xBell123 wrote: »
    What are peoples thoughts on leaving out institutions for EU? I cannot get my head around it and its massive.

A question on the institutions has not been on the paper since October 2017, so it could be due a run and looking at the questions in the exam papers it seems to be a rather nice question. Article 17 TEU onwards might be helpful in that it outlines the powers and functions of the institutions and the TFEU also sets out further powers and the QMV process- so that may help reduce what you need to know, that's how I have cut out so much from it. Most of the questions, which I have looked at, seem to focus on Lisbon changes or the legislative power of that body- so just knowing Pre-Lisbon might being helpful. But again, I've only looked at a few questions on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭Vegetarian2017

hi all

can anyone who sat today's exam tell me what came up ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 xBell123

GF612 wrote: »
    I'm thinking of including Institutions, actually doing notes on it right now - but it's a mess!

Would also be interested if anyone is leaving this out / what people are thinking of leaving out for EU. The course is too big to get everything covered!
    Joanneom wrote: »
    A question on the institutions has not been on the paper since October 2017, so it could be due a run and looking at the questions in the exam papers it seems to be a rather nice question. Article 17 TEU onwards might be helpful in that it outlines the powers and functions of the institutions and the TFEU also sets out further powers and the QMV process- so that may help reduce what you need to know, that's how I have cut out so much from it. Most of the questions, which I have looked at, seem to focus on Lisbon changes or the legislative power of that body- so just knowing Pre-Lisbon might being helpful. But again, I've only looked at a few questions on it.

Thanks both! I'm making notes on it now, trying to improve on my old ones as I find them confusing. I just can't get my head around it and its really throwing me.

Without Institutions I've got:

General principles (proportionality, subsidiarity, supremacy)
    Fundamental rights
    Direct and indirect effect
    Member state liability and infringement
    Preliminary reference procedure
    Judicial review
    Equality
    Free movement of workers and Citizenship
    Free movement of goods
    Articles 101 and 102

Would that be enough?

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭sapphire309

Can anybody give me a brief explanation on the Rosengren and Familiapress decisions in relation to FMG? Think it's to do with marketing restrictions

GF612 wrote:

I am planning on covering as follows
    institutions
    general principles
    impact on national systems
    member state liability
    judicial review
    prelim ref
    infringe proceedings
    fms/fmw and freedom capital
    citizenship
    equality
    comp law
    state aid

can i ask how others are preparing? I have a set of condensed notes but no sample answers. plan to learn off but then struggle on how to apply.

xBell123 wrote:
    General principles (proportionality, subsidiarity, supremacy) Fundamental rights Direct and indirect effect Member state liability and infringement Preliminary reference procedure Judicial review Equality Free movement of workers and Citizenship Free movement of goods Articles 101 and 102

Looks like we are roughly the same. how are you approaching study are u just learning off notes or are you reading sample answers
    I have very little material for Eu. Has anyone who passed before just passed using notes and looking at past papers or is it crucial to be reading sample answers and learning off?

Any advice would be appreciate. Thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭user115

Hey! Hope exams going well for you!

I'm doing the same as you only haven't done competition yet and must do equality tonight. I haven't gone down the route of learning off essays....I don't think it would work for me. I just do extensive notes mostly based on manual and then if I can find few other things, I narrow down notes to 5 pages and then do a 1 pager for each. I think if you have a good handle and understand all aspects, focus on previous exams qs i.e could you have answered it in all forms previously you should be grand. I wouldn't get too caught up in learning off sample answers, id say its very rare the qs are phrased the same and for myself if I was just relying on them and then it didn't come up very similar it would really throw me.... Sample answers might be useful for some but for me i think it would just completely blinker how I learn something off, would prefer to understand all major parts and then I can apply it to whatever comes up.

I have been going through EU and its very similar stuff they ask on certain topics year in year out....I prob shouldn't say that now will totally change!! I think direct effect, judicial review, FMG, FMP/students citizenship and TCN almost always make an appearance. Prelim ref hasn't been up in ages so really hoping for that. I'm dreading doing competition is so big might just cut it down strategically...but that can be risky
    Looks like we are roughly the same. how are you approaching study are u just learning off notes or are you reading sample answers
    I have very little material for Eu. Has anyone who passed before just passed using notes and looking at past papers or is it crucial to be reading sample answers and learning off?

Any advice would be appreciate. Thanks :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 42 frankiejoepat

Constitutional today: (these are the topics as I read the paper at least, would appreciate others view on it)
    Q1 Problem Q. Challenge to an international agreement that Ireland is entering into.
    Q2 Essay Q. Mallack v Minister for Justice.
    Q3 Essay Q. Referenda. Mc Kenna (2) and Mc Crystal represent inappropriate interferences with politics.
    Q4 Case Note Q. M v Min for Justice and Equality (2018); Meadows v Minister for Justice; Re Art 26 and the Employment Equality Bill 1996; Persona Digital Telephony v Min for Public Enterprise.
    Q5 Problem Q. Blood sample taken from Paula by Gardaí after road traffic accident turns back a negative and no charges are brought. Years later she applies for a job as a teaching assistant and is turned down because it says the Gardaí informed the school that she was likely to have been under the influence of alcohol. Advise Paula in context of the retention of the blood sample and the disclosure of information. I wrote about the right to privacy and the right to earn a liveihood mainly. Not sure if that was the right tack. Tricky one.
    Q6 Prob Q. Betty's house is searched by Gardaí. Gun found. Warrant was wrong and Gardaí knew that. I wrote about unconstitutionally obtained evidence here.
    Q7 Essay Q. That the Irish constitution gives an unusually strong protection to property rights is overstated and the Oireachtas actually has quite some latitude.
    Q8 Problem Q. Michael wears a cross overtly to work every day in the dept of agriculture. The dept issues a circular saying that such jewellery of any kind. Constitutional recourse for Michael. Religion and the Heaney proportionality test were relevant to this question in my view.
    I thought it was a fair paper overall. Further evidence that the case note question is a waste of time. Basically had 7 questions to work with. The case note question is often a shaft in constitutional and is almost always a shaft in EU in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 laurar2019

lads how are ye all staying motivated.. ive only one left and im pooped did nothing all day but watch netflix and eat pasta :(

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭Tommybojangles

laurar2019 wrote: »
    lads how are ye all staying motivated.. ive only one left and im pooped did nothing all day but watch netflix and eat pasta :(

I've one left and said f*** it and went on the beer😂 so you're not alone

user115 wrote:
    I'm doing the same as you only haven't done competition yet and must do equality tonight. I haven't gone down the route of learning off essays....I don't think it would work for me. I just do extensive notes mostly based on manual and then if I can find few other things, I narrow down notes to 5 pages and then do a 1 pager for each. I think if you have a good handle and understand all aspects, focus on previous exams qs i.e could you have answered it in all forms previously you should be grand. I wouldn't get too caught up in learning off sample answers, id say its very rare the qs are phrased the same and for myself if I was just relying on them and then it didn't come up very similar it would really throw me.... Sample answers might be useful for some but for me i think it would just completely blinker how I learn something off, would prefer to understand all major parts and then I can apply it to whatever comes up.

user115 wrote:
    I have been going through EU and its very similar stuff they ask on certain topics year in year out....I prob shouldn't say that now will totally change!! I think direct effect, judicial review, FMG, FMP/students citizenship and TCN almost always make an appearance. Prelim ref hasn't been up in ages so really hoping for that. I'm dreading doing competition is so big might just cut it down strategically...but that can be risky

Thanks a mill, that is really helpful. I just see so many sample answers being asked for I'm thinking am i missing something or us that were i am going wrong. You see i can learn the topics but i find my weakness is how to put them down on paper in compare answers or essays when I've revised a certain way in my head lol. I will have to try stick to problem questions!

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Legal_Eagle_95

Dear god it’s difficult! I had tort and company first, and my next are contract and EU...the wait is killing me I just want to be done! Thought I’d love the extra time to cram but the jealousy seeing my mates be done is intense haha

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Amanda226

Hey all,just wondering what topics people are covering for contract?

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭LawGirl3434

Amanda226 wrote: »
    Hey all,just wondering what topics people are covering for contract?

Me too!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 GemmaS97

Offer & acceptance
    Consideration
    Estoppel
    Consumer contracts
    Exemption clauses
    Mistake
    Misrepresentation
    Damages
    Have notes done up for intention to create legal relations and capacity
    Would be able to do an undue influence question based on the chapter I have covered for equity

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭bigtophat13

I'm done today, it was so hard to stay motivated. Just keep thinking by the hour every hour that it's a means to an end and you'll get there.

And don't worry about the Netflix and pasta, you deserve some recuperation and 99.99% likely need it even more than you deserve it. It'll stand to better the study that follows afterwards!

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭user115

For things like compare answers or critical evaluation I think basically you say something works well or not and why, I wouldn't even think the why has to be that well developed. Then load in all the stuff you know so that supports your answer.

For institutions and legal sources might be helpful to have a sort of skeletal done already so you know exactly what you want to get down on it. From the exam reports it seems like he is looking for the same information on topics every year, like same cases and legislation. So do some kind plan and learn that off and then really try a remember the layout and then pick relevant stuff out on the day like try not throw down the whole lot of it just relevant stuff so it looks as though you really get it.....Thats prob way easier said then done though, things usually do come back to you like its very rare you are gona go 100% blank. Maybe come up with anagrams or something, I find that helps me.

If sample answers have worked for you though I don't want to put you off them but I find them a waste, like spend that time understanding something well and then you can handle whatever is asked.

I honestly think he is very sound marker for EU, when I saw the pass rates like they are unreal compared with some other ones that you prob already have passed so it's just really the amount of info that so intimidating but put some order on it and it'll come back to you.
    Thanks a mill, that is really helpful. I just see so many sample answers being asked for I'm thinking am i missing something or us that were i am going wrong. You see i can learn the topics but i find my weakness is how to put them down on paper in compare answers or essays when I've revised a certain way in my head lol. I will have to try stick to problem questions!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46 FE!student

Can anyone confirm if I am correct in saying that the only areas of Estoppel that need to be covered are in relation to proprietary estoppel, and the following:
    Assurance
    Reliance
    Detriment
    Unconscionability

There's other categories in my manual on unilateral mistake, imperfect gifts and common expectation.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭lisac223

For the three certainties, if certainty of objects fails does the trust property revert to the trustee (like it does for the other two certainties), or does it revert into the estate?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Kallyann1

For equity, I’m thinking on covering:
    Injunctions
    Specific performance
    Rectification
    Constructive trusts
    Express trusts
    Resulting trusts
    Charitable
    Trustees

Leaving out: estoppel, undue influence, rescission, satisfaction and secret trusts.

Risky? Or should be covered...

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭LawGirl3434

FE!student wrote: »
    Can anyone confirm if I am correct in saying that the only areas of Estoppel that need to be covered are in relation to proprietary estoppel, and the following:
    Assurance
    Reliance
    Detriment
    Unconscionability

There's other categories in my manual on unilateral mistake, imperfect gifts and common expectation.

That’s all I have!

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭sapphire309

Kallyann1 wrote: »
    For equity, I’m thinking on covering:
    Injunctions
    Specific performance
    Rectification
    Constructive trusts
    Express trusts
    Resulting trusts
    Charitable
    Trustees

Leaving out: estoppel, undue influence, rescission, satisfaction and secret trusts.

Risky? Or should be covered...

I'd say so. It makes sense to choose to omit those topics from your study. Both undue influence and estoppel have been up the last 2 sittings so they are due a skip this paper. Secret trusts also up last time and it's not a regular one. Feel like rescission and satisfaction often come up as note Qs anyway so you wouldn't necessarily be missing out on a whole question if one of them did appear!

• Registered Users Posts: 35 BemusedKettle

Where to buy the legislation for contract?

Could anyone tell me what came up in EU last sitting?

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭kasey0123

For EU:

FMOG/ FMOS
    FMOW/ citizenship
    Equality
    Institutions
    General principles
    Judicial review
    Direct effect
    Prelim ref procedure
    Member state liability
    Legislative procedures
    Sources of law

Taking the executive decision to cut competition law, development of EU, mergers, state aid.

Is that leaving myself a bit short ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭z6vm1dobfnca3x

Would I be mad to ignore all injunctions bar Quia Timet and Anton Piller?

I've struggled with the whole departures from the Campus Oils Principles bullsh*t since college and I don't want to waste the next 4 days wrapping my head around it again? It's such a dense area.

I have 14 other topics covered:

Quia Timet & AP
    Charitable Trusts
    Non-Charitable
    Cy-press
    Rectification
    Specific Performance
    Undue Influence
    Recission
    Satisfaction
    Trusteeship
    DMC
    Three Certainties
    Strong v Bird
    Advancement

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭kasey0123

Would I be mad to ignore all injunctions bar Quia Timet and Anton Piller?

I've struggled with the whole departures from the Campus Oils Principles bullsh*t since college and I don't want to waste the next 4 days wrapping my head around it again? It's such a dense area.

I have 14 other topics covered:

Quia Timet & AP
    Charitable Trusts
    Non-Charitable
    Cy-press
    Rectification
    Specific Performance
    Undue Influence
    Recission
    Satisfaction
    Trusteeship
    DMC
    Three Certainties
    Strong v Bird
    Advancement

You kind of need campus oil principles for a Quia Timet Q anyways! Mareva 4th time running? Probably not haha

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement