Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) NOTICE: YOU MAY SWAP EXAM GRIDS

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Fe1hayes

Breacnua wrote: »
    Wondering the same

Yeah it's actually been set to come up by city college so I'm doing it it's quite short.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭Breacnua

Smiley283 wrote: »
    I'm doing the same as you but with the addition of intention to create legal relations and another poster on boards.ie advised me to cover privity as it is a common enough essay and didn't come up in the last paper

Discuss the need to reform doctrine of privity was Q 7 spring 18

It's been said probably not to come up only minor. If you're doing a reform essay recommended to do capacity for Minors.

Thanks a mill - will call them tomorrow! Also anyone got any info on the contract examiner - what's the pass rate like, are they strict and what do they like to see? Thanks :)

Pass rate varies but Is around the 60% from what I can gather

Fe1hayes wrote: »
    It's been said probably not to come up only minor. If you're doing a reform essay recommended to do capacity for Minors.

Is it common for reform areas to come up in some area of the course ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭holliek

Does anyone have the report for 2018 - don't have anything on privity reform

Yeah it's actually been set to come up by city college so I'm doing it it's quite short.

Do you know any other predictions?

holliek wrote: »
    Does anyone have the report for 2018 - don't have anything on privity reform

Just says some good and and weaker candidates didn’t discuss reform.
    Prob won’t repeat two in a row as an essay ? Maybe in prob Q?? Who knows
    She loves to surprise

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Amanda226

Hi all, just short of time and wondering If had to choose between mistake and misrep which one would be best to leave out?

• Registered Users Posts: 20 FE1s2018

Could anyone share some past equity sample answers or papers/reports from 2018/2017? Thanks

• Advertisement

Amanda226 wrote: »
    Hi all, just short of time and wondering If had to choose between mistake and misrep which one would be best to leave out?

I’d say mistake misrep it came up two qu last year maybe just know uberafide thing for insurance sorry about the spelling .

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Amanda226

I’d say mistake misrep it came up two qu last year maybe just know uberafide thing for insurance sorry about the spelling .

So to mistake is it? Thanks a mill, does anyone have any other predictions running out of time, is reform on capacity of minors tipped to come up?

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭user115

EU
    For MS liability are the majority of cases preliminary ref and then the issue goes back to MS to determine if all factors present? Or do ECJ determine MS liability, my understanding is that it can be implemented at national level so it does go back to MS but just a bit mixed up from reading a few of cases in booklet

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭LawGirl3434

Amanda226 wrote: »
    So to mistake is it? Thanks a mill, does anyone have any other predictions running out of time, is reform on capacity of minors tipped to come up?

Hope not, all I have is an LRC report from 1985 haha

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Pyggg

For consideration, my manual has performance of existing public duty, existing contractual duty etc under the heading of “ consideration has to be sufficient” but in my friend’s manual from another college it has them under the heading of “past consideration”. Anyone know which one it’s meant to be under? I would have thought it’s consideration must be sufficient but honestly no clue. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭LawGirl3434

Pyggg wrote: »
    For consideration, my manual has performance of existing public duty, existing contractual duty etc under the heading of “ consideration has to be sufficient” but in my friend’s manual from another college it has them under the heading of “past consideration”. Anyone know which one it’s meant to be under? I would have thought it’s consideration must be sufficient but honestly no clue. Thanks

Hey - my manual has them under neither, just as general rules around what is and isn’t consideration.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Pyggg

Hey - my manual has them under neither, just as general rules around what is and isn’t consideration.

Thanks - appreciate it!

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Fe12017

lisac223 wrote: »
    Yes they still need to have a public benefit under s(3)(2) 2009 Act: "A purpose shall not be a charitable purpose unless it is of public benefit."

And also yes, Biehler notes that the "poor relations" and "poor employees" cases will rarely be applied in Ireland going forward except under the very limited section in s(3)(7) 2009 Act "having regard to the nature of the purpose of the gift".

So basically verrrry limited re future poor & need relatives cases in Ireland. Seglemen dcd was English though so I don't know if the same can be said for England & Wales. Feel free to correct me if I am wrong!

Thanks very much!!

For problem qs for EU how are people planning on going about them? I'm kinda dreading them, I know my stuff but I reckon I could easily so over time on them, there are always so many issues in them, do you think you have to deal with every single sentence or just the main issues?

I always hate problem qs, can never stick to the IRAC method

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭sapphire309

user115 wrote: »
    For problem qs for EU how are people planning on going about them? I'm kinda dreading them, I know my stuff but I reckon I could easily so over time on them, there are always so many issues in them, do you think you have to deal with every single sentence or just the main issues?

I always hate problem qs, can never stick to the IRAC method

I'm quite worried about this too. Only learnt Citizenship and FMG so far, but even with the latter there are so many tests you have to apply before you can begin to deal with the actual issues in the Q. I'm not covering many topics so won't have the option of choosing essays, I'll be confined to my 5 questions... Would really appreciate guidance if anyone has any words of advice!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭scooby321

I'm quite worried about this too. Only learnt Citizenship and FMG so far, but even with the latter there are so many tests you have to apply before you can begin to deal with the actual issues in the Q. I'm not covering many topics so won't have the option of choosing essays, I'll be confined to my 5 questions... Would really appreciate guidance if anyone has any words of advice!

Can I ask which topics you've chosen to cover?

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭sapphire309

scooby321 wrote: »
    Can I ask which topics you've chosen to cover?

This is what I'm hoping/praying for:

Q1 - institutions or general principles
    Q2 - direct effect and/or MS liability
    Q3 - FMG
    Q4 - Annulment action (going to have a glance over preliminary reference too)
    Q5 - Something relating to citizenship/workers/equality.

Taking a bit of a gamble, but time is a luxury that unfortunately I do not have

I think they are really solid choices, Direct effect always up, FMG and FMW with citizenship. With some luck there'll be q on institutions.

Direct effect and MS liability always asked together so be sure and know a little on MS liability, I'm just going over it amt. Basics of liability is Franovich and then Factortame- i.e. 3 criteria that needs to exist. Maybe also have a quick read over principle of Equivalence and effectiveness as he asks them very often.

Q3 - FMG

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭scooby321

user115 wrote: »
    I think they are really solid choices, Direct effect always up, FMG and FMW with citizenship. With some luck there'll be q on institutions.

Direct effect and MS liability always asked together so be sure and know a little on MS liability, I'm just going over it amt. Basics of liability is Franovich and then Factortame- i.e. 3 criteria that needs to exist. Maybe also have a quick read over principle of Equivalence and effectiveness as he asks them very often.

Q3 - FMG

Thank you both! I'm in the same boat, only covered up to Direct Effect so far and have Equity to sit on Wednesday so it will just be a glance through some topics and hope for the best! Will be cutting it extra short

• Registered Users Posts: 10 gfettig

has anyone got a copy of the october 2018 examiner's report they would be willing to share? i'm happy to provide what i can in exchange.

gfettig wrote: »
    has anyone got a copy of the october 2018 examiner's report they would be willing to share? i'm happy to provide what i can in exchange.

is an essay on SP in equity more or less the same in contract if asked ?
    send me ur email

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭jewels652

Eu

I have a summary guide from the lawschool.ie and it says that preliminary reference is not popular with the current examiner and that the last time it came up was in September 2014. It also lists that the following topics are of high risk to come up:

1: institutions
    2: principles
    3:direct effect and ms liability
    4: judicial review
    5: Eu citizenship
    6: equality
    7: free movement of workers
    8: free movement of goods

As a result I have made the decision not to cover competition law and just stick to these 8 topics and hope for the best.
    Am I mad not to cover competition???

what is predicted/due to come up for equity?

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Charles OCK

In what form has the Anton Pillar come up in the past? Essay or Problem?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 Naddy666

jewels652 wrote: »
    Eu

I have a summary guide from the lawschool.ie and it says that preliminary reference is not popular with the current examiner and that the last time it came up was in September 2014. It also lists that the following topics are of high risk to come up:

1: institutions
    2: principles
    3:direct effect and ms liability
    4: judicial review
    5: Eu citizenship
    6: equality
    7: free movement of workers
    8: free movement of goods

As a result I have made the decision not to cover competition law and just stick to these 8 topics and hope for the best.
    Am I mad not to cover competition???

Not at all this is exactly what I am learning too. Far too much in competition to cover.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement