Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway GAA Discussion Thread #2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,044 ✭✭✭threeball

RMAOK wrote: »
    This is the same ****e that went on last year with the Wexford game below in Wexford park.

Considering the distance between Galway and Waterford (or Wexford), would it not be a good idea to make the 'final call' on these matching at 10 or so in the morning.

I'd be saying the same thing if either of them counties had to travel to pearse stadium.

If they put money into decent pitches rather than white elephant stadiums whose stands are empty 8758hrs per year then people wouldn't have to put up with this crap. Every county ground in the country should have to have a Croke park quality pitch first and foremost, then worry about stands. Might reel in the ridiculous spending and we'll end up with nice 15,000 seaters rather than 45,000 capacity wind and rain tunnels.

Two points against a stiff breeze.

Absolutely no understanding or work done on playing a short game which is needed not alone against a strong wind but also a sweeper.

Seems MoD didn't learn from the AI last year so lets hope today was the wake up call and that you can't just play a long game and nothing else.

Waterford played the game that was available and had worked on some things ie short puck outs and the line ball
    We persisted with playing a game that was only on for 35mins and bar the big swing in the weather we may never pulled away when we did.

Thank god they restructured the league or it would have been three years straight blowing big leads.

Wexford at home next week so at least we got a home game as compensation :D

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭brendanwalsh

jr86 wrote: »
    Looks like sunday could be a wash out

Will be a right mess for clubs in April if there's more postponements

Is johnny glynn to be jnvolbed at all this year.?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

Is johnny glynn to be jnvolbed at all this year.?

He's back in a few weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Cathalachs

Will it be a double header or will the football be moved?

• Advertisement

Cathalachs wrote:

Would be great although for some reason there seems to be talk of it on bank holiday Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,212 ✭✭✭✭RMAOK

Would be great although for some reason there seems to be talk of it on bank holiday Monday.

Possibly to facilitate tg4. Also the fact that there's no floodlights in the stadium.

Sunday will be left clear for the all-ireland club finals.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭GS11

Absolutely no understanding or work done on playing a short game which is needed not alone against a strong wind but also a sweeper.

Seems MoD didn't learn from the AI last year so lets hope today was the wake up call and that you can't just play a long game and nothing else.

Waterford played the game that was available and had worked on some things ie short puck outs and the line ball
    We persisted with playing a game that was only on for 35mins and bar the big swing in the weather we may never pulled away when we did.

Thank god they restructured the league or it would have been three years straight blowing big leads.

Harsh to say there is no work done, they are trying to play the short game but aren't very good at it. It could take a few years to become good at it, too late for some of these players. I think we might be as well sticking at what we are good at.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭MfMan

Not true. They have been playing the short ball game throughout the league, moving away from the long-ball tactics employed in the latter half of last year's c'ship. For two reasons I think; a) because both Cooneys and Glynn are currently unavailable b) as an antidote to Limerick's current power game, no harm to have a Plan B when next we meet.

Don't get too carried away with yesterday's defeat. It was on a horrible day for hurling in a ground where the hosts are seldom beaten. We were the only unbeaten team going into yesterday's final series of games and lost only to an injury-time goal.

MD does though need to show more trust in his younger players; Kevin Cooney, Ja Mannion and Jack Coyne can be good enough if given the opportunity. Bleaheane on the other hand isn't yet a good enough hurler so this year mightn't be his time. Good though he has been in modfield, Cathal Mannion may yet be needed further forward; Niall Burke is making a claim again for a starting spot but Flynn, alas, just can't get a good run going. It does look as if Padriag Mannion is going to be no. 6 this year, I'd say mgmt just don't trust GMac's more basic skill levels. Pity Joe Cooney won't be around to fill a spot in this line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

MfMan wrote: »
    It does look as if Padriag Mannion is going to be no. 6 this year, I'd say mgmt just don't trust GMac's more basic skill levels. .

And Harte at 4

Which I don't understand tbh

• Advertisement

Cathalachs wrote: »

Yep. Double header next Saturday in pearse stadium. The hurlers play Wexford at 1:30 and the footballers play Roscommon at 3:30

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Stationmaster

And Harte at 4

Which I don't understand tbh

And where will GMAC be if Mannion stays at 6?

And where will GMAC be if Mannion stays at 6?

I think Mac is a 6 or nowhere tbh. Don't think the wing suits him.

Personally I'd have Mannion 5, Mac 6 and harte 7 with Fintan Burke 2 or 4 for now. There may well be an avenue for Burke to move out the field as the summer goes on however

• Registered Users Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

RMAOK wrote: »
    Yep. Double header next Saturday in pearse stadium. The hurlers play Wexford at 1:30 and the footballers play Roscommon at 3:30

Interestingly, there is a D1 football league game scheduled between Mountbellew & Michaels at 430 in Mountbellew. Leitir Mor also play Menlough in D3 at 330.
    Seems strange that they are scheduled in a direct clash with inter county football match.

Interestingly, there is a D1 football league game scheduled between Mountbellew & Michaels at 430 in Mountbellew. Leitir Mor also play Menlough in D3 at 330.
    Seems strange that they are scheduled in a direct clash with inter county football match.

Clubs might have agreed to play them saturday if lads away Monday or something? Most games are fixed for Monday

That said they could have put them on earlier Saturday alright

Personally I'd have Mannion 5, Mac 6 and harte 7 with Fintan Burke 2 or 4 for now. There may well be an avenue for Burke to move out the field as the summer goes on however

Would agree with Mannion and Gmac at 5 & 6, with F Burke and Harte at either 4 or 7.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭macslash

Was Hanbury playing yesterday? Thought I heard his name mentioned. Is Touhey injured?

Hanbury came on at the death for R Burke, I think they scored the goal after that.

Tuohy is injured.

GS11 wrote:
    Would agree with Mannion and Gmac at 5 & 6, with F Burke and Harte at either 4 or 7.

I think Shane Cooney will push our current half back line hard for a spot (maybe even harder than Fintan Burke who I rate highly) Jack Grealish had a super game yesterday and is improving a lot. On form it will be hard take a corner back slot off him. Hopefully when the entire squad is back in a few weeks Galway can really push it up a level. Hard to know will they have enough for next weekend. Another couple of games would be great but the round robin does give a certain amount of room for minor experiment.

Agree re Grealish, had a great game.

Thought Hussey looked good as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

GS11 wrote: »

Was he not attacked by a fan?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭leestone

Ya fans were pleading for change after the final and in many ways we have it new goalkeeper corner backs etc this bodes well in many ways as the more regular faces have competition when they come back. I don’t see the other teams trying out players as much as we have

GS11 wrote: »

Very true - loved the rattle he struck on one of the Bennett's in the first half.

leestone wrote: »
    Ya fans were pleading for change after the final and in many ways we have it new goalkeeper corner backs etc this bodes well in many ways as the more regular faces have competition when they come back. I don’t see the other teams trying out players as much as we have

Wouldn't say Flannery covered himself in glory for their goal, another soft one conceded, still think that's a problem position, I'd hope Callanan would give us one more year.

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Stationmaster

As an outsider looking in, I'd agree fully with that. He always struck me as a number 6 only. Don't think he'd feature anywhere else on the present team ye have anyway.

Clubs might have agreed to play them saturday if lads away Monday or something? Most games are fixed for Monday

That said they could have put them on earlier Saturday alright

Michaels/Mountbellew has been moved to 1130 alright

They've moved a fair few games from Monday to Saturday now. Proper order imo, let lads enjoy their Patrick's Day/bank holiday.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

Michaels/Mountbellew has been moved to 1130 alright

They've moved a fair few games from Monday to Saturday now. Proper order imo, let lads enjoy their Patrick's Day/bank holiday.

Noticed that alright. Also moved venue of Mountbellew match to Galway city. Dont really understand why any league matches fixed for Monday, should all be at 11 or 12 on Saturday. I am sure there must be some reason for it.

Noticed that alright. Also moved venue of Mountbellew match to Galway city. Dont really understand why any league matches fixed for Monday, should all be at 11 or 12 on Saturday. I am sure there must be some reason for it.

I see they've fixed hurling matches now Monday. I'd imagine most will be postponed to week after though

• Registered Users Posts: 17,336 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Galway team v Roscommon

Ruairi Lavelle
    Eoghan Kerin
    Sean Andy O'Ceallaigh
    David Wynne
    Gary O'Donnell
    John Daly
    Gareth Bradshaw
    Tom Flynn
    Ciaran Duggan
    Peter Cooke
    Shane Walsh
    Johnny Heaney
    Danny Cummins
    Michael Daly
    Antaine O'Laoi

Galway team v Wexford

Flannery
    Grealish
    Killeen
    Harte
    Morrissey
    P Mannion
    G Mac
    C Mannion
    Loftus
    N Burke
    Canning
    Bleahene
    Whelan
    Concannon
    Monaghan

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭I says

Canning is some player with the way the game is going, he is probably the last of the modern greats, he has it all enjoy while we can because we will never see his like again.

Advertisement