Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread Part 3 **MOD NOTE POST 1***

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

Comerman wrote: »
    I didn't mention the manager. Shouldn't you be out celebrating "moderator" . Goodnight now.

Great comeback alright. Not sure what the moderator in quotation marks means. Nor why I'd be out celebrating a game in March. But sure if this is what you're reduced to after losing, then great.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Ompala

True, the ref was running up the field for the free. IF Delaney should of been red carded then why wasn't O'connor red carded for his two handed plus hurl high tackle on John Donnelly or for slapping Maher into the face guard? Wexford played well and Kilkenny were poor but the referee was diabolical and had no control over the game, for example one or two wexford players warming their hands (swinging like a windmill) in front of every free. Plus the crowd heckling Murphy on the frees was scandalous.

https://www.tg4.ie/ga/sports/gaa-beo/
    If you go to about 1:17:10 the red card is in the next few seconds. Seemed one that was harsh as there are worse tackles, but the correct decision from a deliberate strike rule. Its more the inconsistency with these ones that annoys people than anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭therealdonster

Grats wrote: »
    Welcome back! God knows we took plenty of stick over the years from various quarters, such as your one. We had to take it while the players got on with winning. You'll have to learn to do the same. With success comes criticism. Enjoy the success.

"Success?"....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭Joe Daly

bruschi wrote: »
    He made a meal of getting a butt of the hurl in the chest by what? Walking away doing nothing? He made no gesture to the ref, didn't fall down or dive, he literally did nothing but give away a free, get jabbed and walked away. If it was a harsh red card, it had nothing to do with Dunbar "getting" Delaney sent off.

As for the posts now going into grounds of wexford bully boy tactics and getting in at Kilkenny, there must be some seriously short memories for some of ye. It's about time wexford had a backbone.

Why was O Conner not sent off then Seoirse Bulfin name one kilkenny mentor that carries on like him .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭brookville

Topcat32 wrote: »
    brookville wrote: »
    yea it was blanch who got caught for the goal and infairness to him he was one of our better performers.
    as others have said we do look a good bit behind others in the s&c but i suppose this just takes time.
    im obviously very dissapointed with today but we have to give wex credit they pushed limerick all the way,beat tipp,lost to clare by a point and beat us handy enough in the end.Im sure davey is anxious to try win this league obviously we were aswell but last year tj carried us through the league.The one concern i do have and it was evident at times last year we are not getting enough from our fowards.I just hope the few lads can return later in the year and trouble the scoreboard.
    finally now that we exit the league and heading into the championship unfortunately we havent got a settled line which is dissapointing but it was important to try blood lads.

Definitely see your point about the forwards during the league but I still think if we get players fit we are better off in the forwards than the backs, Reid, Hogan, Fennelly, Walsh, Aylward and one other from Blanchfield, Leahy, Ryan, Donnelly is a decent forward line on paper, you could possibly add Adrian Mullen to that, whereas even if we get all our backs available we are still short by quite a bit I think.
    yea your probably right but theres a very unsettled look to our team going into the summer. very dissapointed to see us going back to route one in the 2nd half when things were slipping away from us but as others have said there was a lot of inexperience there today.Donnelly and maher havent being as good which might be a worry but its a completly different ball game in 2 months time when the ground gets hard.i hope we learn from today but wexford are definitly becoming our bogey team.
    next saturdays match will only be a challenge so hopefully all the subs today will start.id like to see wallace and michael cody corner back,browne wing back,leahy and maher mf and probably be last chance saloon for a few players before its cut.
    its a pity lads like scanlon who had a decent league last year is injured but i dont think today would of suited him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭davidx40

Very poor league in my opinion .....none of players have beefed up much over winter its very noticable compared to other teams ....People on here saying when we get ballyhale lads back and aylward .......tj best days are well behind him ...same with ritchie hogan ...colin fennelly should be let go in my opinion ...and ger has only ever really hurled well for 9 months for kk .....id wonder would we be better starting afresh without tj , ritchie and colin and go with balyhale youngsters ..just my opinion

davidx40 wrote: »
    Very poor league in my opinion .....none of players have beefed up much over winter its very noticable compared to other teams ....People on here saying when we get ballyhale lads back and aylward .......tj best days are well behind him ...same with ritchie hogan ...colin fennelly should be let go in my opinion ...and ger has only ever really hurled well for 9 months for kk .....id wonder would we be better starting afresh without tj , ritchie and colin and go with balyhale youngsters ..just my opinion

TJ remains one of the best if not the best hurler in the country and is in great shape so I don't know what you're smoking but I'll have some please...

Cody's team selections have left a lot to be desired. Picking Martin Keoghan as a corner forward is beyond belief and is no slight on the chap who is evidently a tryer. I'm not sure he has the pace for this level and don't think it is a S&C with him as he is a big strong chap.

You would have to question the line too. We don't seem to have improved at all in the last 2 years in my opinion and are just muddling along. I think we have much better talent available than the likes of Wexford but the sum of their parts is better. Other sides are better drilled, know what they are about and have a clear identity - could you say the same about us?

If you were to name our strongest 15 right now you wouldn't have a clue (probably maybe get 6-7) which is also a major worry - I can never recall a team winning an AI that didn't know probably 12-13 of their starting team at the beginning of the year.

The best of luck to the shamrocks on paddys day.

TJ remains one of the best if not the best hurler in the country and is in great shape so I don't know what you're smoking but I'll have some please...

Cody's team selections have left a lot to be desired. Picking Martin Keoghan as a corner forward is beyond belief and is no slight on the chap who is evidently a tryer. I'm not sure he has the pace for this level and don't think it is a S&C with him as he is a big strong chap.

You would have to question the line too. We don't seem to have improved at all in the last 2 years in my opinion and are just muddling along. I think we have much better talent available than the likes of Wexford but the sum of their parts is better. Other sides are better drilled, know what they are about and have a clear identity - could you say the same about us?

If you were to name our strongest 15 right now you wouldn't have a clue (probably maybe get 6-7) which is also a major worry - I can never recall a team winning an AI that didn't know probably 12-13 of their starting team at the beginning of the year.
    i know there'll always be doom an gloom after a defeat but i hundred percent agree with your last bit about the line.Im not one for running cody out after a league match but i think we made a mistake not injecting freshness into the backroom team who's familar with the modern game.Theres no doubt we're stuck in the times a bit.cody is a great motivator and gets every last drop out of lads but the game has evolved alot over the last few years.We have a couple of months to try get a few key players back and hopefully have learnt from the league.i still think we will be very competitive during the summer
    Hopefully the shamrocks do the business next weekend and well done to the girls today and comer yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭The_Ghost

Don’t really know what to say about today. Their young full back gifted us a lot of scores in the first half and we gifted them 3 or 4 points from playing short in the first half with a gale force wind behind us and that really cost us I felt. Worrying that we still don’t have a clue what our best team is after 2 years of rebuilding. Wexford seemed faster stronger, Better in the tackle, better in the air and won most rucks which is very worrying and we looked very tired in the second half. Even our goal came from Malone taking way to long to hit the ball and got hooked.

Scruff missed a lot of frees today.
    Paul Murphy didn’t do much same with Delaney, Walsh was poor enough today i felt with that being said Harry kehoe or McDonald did absolutely nothing.

Fogerty bad again I felt poor everywhere. Deegan not a center back very bad today, cleere seemed very slow and immobile today. Chin and O’connor Ran riot and were given the freedom of the park.

Just play Paudie Walsh in his best position. Thought Alan Murphy was. Good in spells today got 2 great points good on the frees but he’s a terrible tackler and just fouls lads.

Donnelly bad today although few big hits, Wally I thought was decent. Ger Malone didn’t do much beside the involvement of the goal.

Billy Ryan poor didn’t strike any ball. Keoghan very hard trier And not in his position. Besides the goal I thought blanch went very well even caused Ryan problems when Ryan went to 3.

Leahy or Hogan didn’t strike a ball. Two players who you’d be thinking will be big players for us. Tj is still one of the best. Colin fennelly is apparently going very well and him and alyward will give us some strength at least. Wexford arnt very good in my opinion and would not fear them one bit. Dublin and Galway at home will be close and we’ll beat Carlow but we need to improve greatly and some the younger lads will have to stand up now and play. Donnelly Ryan and leahy especially have always been inconsistent and that has to change. League was always going to be tough and hopefully we’ll peak for championship.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭gmurphy70

True, the ref was running up the field for the free. IF Delaney should of been red carded then why wasn't O'connor red carded for his two handed plus hurl high tackle on John Donnelly or for slapping Maher into the face guard? Wexford played well and Kilkenny were poor but the referee was diabolical and had no control over the game, for example one or two wexford players warming their hands (swinging like a windmill) in front of every free. Plus the crowd heckling Murphy on the frees was scandalous.

Cmon enough is enough, very unlike Kilkenny to be complaining about been bullied. There was nothing dirty about Wexford today,complaining about their intensity? That is what Kilkenny Hurling was built on for the last 20 years as well as having some of the best hurlers ever seen.Kilkennys intensity won more games and blew away teams in the past,don’t complain about Wexford upping their intensity levels. Sending off shouldn’t of happened ,a yellow of best,but he wasn’t sent off for nothing either. BS about Wexford getting players sent off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭Village87

Kilkenny half back line were terrible today. Padraig Walsh has to go back there. I got dismissed when I said Fogarty made a mistake for the goal. Looking back on the highlights on RTE they clearly showed Fogarty getting easily turned over for the goal. Jason Cleere very one paced, will not cope with pace of championship hurling in the summer. Paddy Deegan doesn’t have the hurling. All 3 poor in the air, slow today and mistakes and distribution very poor. Lee Chin, Rory o’connor and Paul Morris ran through them far to easily. All good teams need a strong half back line

• Registered Users Posts: 11,115 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

For a county that prided itself on the abrasive nature of their defending during their golden era and beyond (we all hear about the revered no.3 jersey), I find it ironic how some supporters are complaining about Wexford's physicality today. I would have thought only scoring twice against the wind (Wexford managed four times that playing in similar conditions), and seemingly lacking the same hunger and desire as the hosts, and indeed tactical systems stuck in a previous age, would be far bigger concerns.

Someone mentioned earlier too that Wexford were celebrating as if it was their All Ireland final. Well when you were down in the doldrums for as long as we were, and were shipping severe hammerings to the Cats over the last decade, when on occasion it seemed that Henry outscored Wexford on his own, then yeah there is going to be a bit of joy at the upturn of fortunes.

I admired that four-in-a-row team for their class and hard edge-they were phenonemal- but it seems to me to be a certain contingent within the county that aren't too gracious when things aren't going as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭lim4ev

From a neutral perspective I can't understand how anybody could suggest the wexford player got Delaney sent off I would have said he didn't showboat one bit he got the butt of the hurley what was he supposed to do other than what he did??

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭gmurphy70

Joe Daly wrote: »
    He made a meal out of it, even John Mullane was giving out about the sending off.

Hey Joe,just watched the highlights on the game as I didn’t see the incident in real time,where did he make a meal out of it? John Mullins was saying it wasn’t a sending off but Dunbar certainly didn’t get him sent off and can’t see why you would of said this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭Powerhouse

I would agree with the substance of this. Hogan definitely has his best days over. Lovely hurler and all that but hard to imagine him as a 70 minute force anymore. Fennelly is just not good enough to start in a team with All Ireland ambitions, he just doesn't do enough in general play, and his bursts are less often and less effective. Aylward threatens more than he does.

But on the other hand should Kilkenny not pick its best team rather than what it thinks will be its best team two or three years down the road? What you are saying has a certain logic but is not very practical. A bunch of young players would be blown away with the way S&C has gone. When you see Wexford man-handling Walter Walsh around some of the lighter young lads have no business at that level. Reid, while the old egg-timer is not in his favour and he'll hardly see All Ireland final day again with Kilkenny, remains a great man and looks indispensable to the team's prospects.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Gentleman Off The Pitch

lim4ev wrote: »
    From a neutral perspective I can't understand how anybody could suggest the wexford player got Delaney sent off I would have said he didn't showboat one bit he got the butt of the hurley what was he supposed to do other than what he did??

Agree with this. Based on a few incidents from Wexford games last year, I was surprised he didn't make more of it

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭droppingball

Village87 wrote: »
    Kilkenny half back line were terrible today. Padraig Walsh has to go back there. I got dismissed when I said Fogarty made a mistake for the goal. Looking back on the highlights on RTE they clearly showed Fogarty getting easily turned over for the goal. Jason Cleere very one paced, will not cope with pace of championship hurling in the summer. Paddy Deegan doesn’t have the hurling. All 3 poor in the air, slow today and mistakes and distribution very poor. Lee Chin, Rory o’connor and Paul Morris ran through them far to easily. All good teams need a strong half back line

It was blanchfield that was turned over for the goal, not fogarty

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭Road-Hog

What was a no 14 doing back in his own full back line......new ‘sweeper’

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭droppingball

Road-Hog wrote: »

What was a no 14 doing back in his own full back line......new ‘sweeper’

In fairness to him he tracked wexford sweeper the whole way when he went forward but made an awful decision to take on two wexford men with ball on the hurl with no kilkenny man to support him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭Village87

In the build up to the goal under the new stand, Fogarty went back on his own and fumbled the ball got turned over easily, ball was recycled and played in and Blanchfield intercepted, then he again got turned over as he thought he was back playing under 12 for Bennettsbridge.

My argument with a lot of Kilkennys play in the backs is the mistakes, Fogarty could have played that out rather than messing up and leading to Kilkenny attack rather than the other way around. To many mistakes, turnovers poor first touch and general lack of hurling from the backs.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Rochelle

For a county that prided itself on the abrasive nature of their defending during their golden era and beyond (we all hear about the revered no.3 jersey), I find it ironic how some supporters are complaining about Wexford's physicality today. I would have thought only scoring twice against the wind (Wexford managed four times that playing in similar conditions), and seemingly lacking the same hunger and desire as the hosts, and indeed tactical systems stuck in a previous age, would be far bigger concerns.

Someone mentioned earlier too that Wexford were celebrating as if it was their All Ireland final. Well when you were down in the doldrums for as long as we were, and were shipping severe hammerings to the Cats over the last decade, when on occasion it seemed that Henry outscored Wexford on his own, then yeah there is going to be a bit of joy at the upturn of fortunes.

I admired that four-in-a-row team for their class and hard edge-they were phenonemal- but it seems to me to be a certain contingent within the county that aren't too gracious when things aren't going as well.

Great post Castletownman, unfortunately a lot here don't know the first thing about hurling, round on anyone who criticises Cody or the county board & blame the ref/nasty opposition for everything.
    The way Village87 gets hounded out of it for speaking unpalatable truths sums up the sorry situation here.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭silverview

Joe Daly wrote: »
    He made a meal out of it, even John Mullane was giving out about the sending off.

Don't understand that one, he didn't fall to the floor???

Grats wrote: »
    As you said, Wexford fully deserved the win but the antics from their players and management team we could do without. Clearly refs are falling for it, for now!

What are you talking about??

Today was their All Ireland (going by the crowds reaction) at the final whistle

Can you blame us for celebrating a win? What do you want us to do at full time, go down to the kilkenny supporters and say sorry?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Gentleman Off The Pitch

I noticed Donal Og gave Harnedy a glowing character reference " a top class player, fantastic captain for Cork, he's a key part of the forward line," while they were showing his groin height swipe to the balls of Barry on League Sunday, suggesting that it was a case of a great man that made a mistake and knows he did wrong, yet he didn't hesitate to discuss Delaney's offence in detail and get a dig in about 'manly' hurling at the same time "using the butt of the hurley and pushing it in your oppnonents ribs".."no place in the game, i know you hear some commentary about it's all part of the manly aspect of the game but there's nothing manly about that in my opinion"

Rochelle wrote: »
    Great post Castletownman, unfortunately a lot of the gimps here don't know the first thing about hurling, round on anyone who criticises Cody or the county board & blame the ref/nasty opposition for everything.
    The way Village87 gets hounded out of it for speaking unpalatable truths sums up the sorry situation here.

Well why don't you find somewhere else to post if the "gimps" on here offend you so much? Anyone using that term will be treated with the contempt they deserve. Maybe I shouldn't be so harsh - You are probably 12 years old and secretly post this tripe on mommy's smart phone when she is not looking.

I noticed Donal Og gave Harnedy a glowing character reference " a top class player, fantastic captain for Cork, he's a key part of the forward line," while they were showing his groin height swipe to the balls of Barry on League Sunday, suggesting that it was a case of a great man that made a mistake and knows he did wrong, yet he didn't hesitate to discuss Delaney's offence in detail and get a dig in about 'manly' hurling at the same time "using the butt of the hurley and pushing it in your oppnonents ribs".."no place in the game, i know you hear some commentary about it's all part of the manly aspect of the game but there's nothing manly about that in my opinion"

Would never really take that man seriously after all he gave a reference for a paedophile who ruined peoples lives that says enough about the man. If cody or any of the kilkenny mentors carried on like Seoirse Bulfin they would be abliterated by that man above, surely Wexford will have to get fined for his pitch incursions yesterday and his abuse to every official was in wexford park yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭laneykin

Kilkenny v Cork set for Saturday 16th March at 2pm in Nowlan Park

• Advertisement

laneykin wrote: »
    Kilkenny v Cork set for Saturday 16th March at 2pm in Nowlan Park
    hopefully all the fringe lads are tried as cork will probably do the same.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement