Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread Part 3 **MOD NOTE POST 1***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭kk1970

Grats wrote: »
    I was in Wexford Park yesterday as were about 3000 other supporters. We all paid our entry fee. If the weather is okay next Sunday I imagine there'll be up to 7k there, and possibly even more if it's free. Why should the thousands, who didn't attend yesterday, get in for free? I don't think they'd even expect to get in for free as they had the good sense to stay at home yesterday.

Same team again so

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭Comerman

kk1970 wrote: »
    Same team again so
    A few New sub though

• Registered Users Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭brookville

Comerman wrote: »
    kk1970 wrote: »
    Same team again so
    A few New sub though
    3 comer men on the panel nice to see wallace making the squad a very good club hurler.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭kk1970

brookville wrote: »
    3 comer men on the panel nice to see wallace making the squad a very good club hurler.

Who's gone from the last day?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭Joe Daly

Luke Scanlon, Michael Carey,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭sitkaspruce

Is Lawlor still injured? Happy to see Liam Blanch starting, hope he can find the back of the net!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

Comerman wrote: »
    Murphy
    2.Paul Murphy
    3.Conor Delaney
    4.Tommy Walsh
    5.Conor Fogarty
    6.Paddy Deegan
    7.Jason Cleere
    8.Padraig Walsh
    9.Alan Murphy
    10.John Donnelly
    11.Walter Walsh
    12.Ger Malone
    13.Billy Ryan
    14.Liam Blanchfield
    15.Martin Keoghan

Subs
    Enda Morrissey
    Conor O'Shea
    Conor Browne
    Michael Cody
    Richie Leahy
    Richie Hogan
    James Maher
    Pat Lyng
    Conor Martin
    Ciáran Wallace
    Niall Brassil

Really like the look at the defense (given that Buckley is still a good bit away from being back by all accounts).

Would have loved to see Conor Browne in at midfield & Richie Leahy in the forwards (probably with Alan Murphy and Mossy dropping to the bench).

• Registered Users Posts: 10,850 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Any reason Leahy is on the bench? Didn't think his performances this year warranted being dropped. Good to try different personnel I suppose and we have a strong bench.

Anyway I'm less interested in who starts than seeing if we actually have a plan for dealing with the sweeper. We usually seem to play as if we've been ambushed by a completely unexpected tactic against Wexford.

Is Lawlor still injured? Happy to see Liam Blanch starting, hope he can find the back of the net!
    lawlor has being unlucky to get injured after starting the league well.Ideally we needed aylward,kevin kelly,sheehan getting a good league in but the positives are cleere is getting gametime,hogan back on the bench.Leahy seems to be better coming and can be hot and cold but on his day his very classy.Hopefully tommy walsh and cleere become good options.Deegan is growing into a leader.Padraig should give us something different.Hopefully delaney keeps going ok i think his our best option at 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭laneykin

Not really sure what time to head down to Wexford today. Had planned on going early to get into the stand but with the rain that fell last night, do people think it will go ahead at all today? Forecast for the day is pretty grim too. What are other people doing?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33 PooPooPooPoo

I would think the match will go ahead, nothing on either the Kilkenny or Wexford Twitter to say it will be cancelled. I'm going to head down around 12, can't imagine a massive Kilkenny crowd attending.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭dubcat51

Westher bright in dublin at the moment ,whats it like in kilkenny.thinking of leaving about 10.30

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭laneykin

dubcat51 wrote: »
    Westher bright in dublin at the moment ,whats it like in kilkenny.thinking of leaving about 10.30

Bright in Kilkenny, sun is out and it’s dry. Forecast for Wexford says bright and dry too.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭dubcat51

Tks.hitting the road now

• Registered Users Posts: 5,987 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Lovely sunny day here 2 min walk from Wexford park. Cold though.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭therealdonster

Desperate performance in the second half. The team has no shape or make to it, especially in the forwards, which is a major worry after 5 league games and 2 years of supposed rebuilding.

It's a league game in March but nearly every other team are beginning to motor and we appear to be going nowhere. Perhaps we are just not good enough. The lack of forwards who can either win their own ball and or score is killing us.

To be honest I couldn't believe we lined out as selected, had assumed that the team was just named that way due to the quick turnaround between last week's game. Red card was never a red card either. This was the worst performance in 2 years bar the first half vs Clare last year.

People keep talking about the ballyhale lads but who bar TJ is going to make much of a difference scoring wise? Wexford are average and wont win anything yet were better than us today so where does that leave us? Worrying times ahead..

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Garyp88

What were the conditions like didn't see the game but 2 points in a second half is ridiculous. The team seems to go backwards after a decent game

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭sitkaspruce

That was very poor today, that great performance in thurles seems like years ago compared to that showing. Maybe a regroup whilst we await the return of TJ and Joey Holden to steady the ship is the best.

That was very poor today, that great performance in thurles seems like years ago compared to that showing. Maybe a regroup whilst we await the return of TJ and Joey Holden to steady the ship is the best.
    very dissapointing end to the league.2 points in the secound not good enough at any level.Donnelly,malone and billy replaced tells the story of our fowards.Conditions were the same for both teams.wexford got to grips with us before half time after a very good start.
    No matter what way we look at it teams like wexford are further down the line than us and had a stronger team than us on paper but theres no guarantees tj,colin,joey,buckley have a magic wand.We're hoping aylward can get back.we're hoping kelly can get back his form.
    the league was always going be up and down cork 2 weeks ago were very good and awful today so i dont think this match will define our season but it is very dissapointing to score so little.
    Hopefully the shamrocks give us a good lift next week and when the ground starts to harden up hopefully the injured lads start to come back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Catman 1993

Lads. A bit of perspective here. There’s a lot of delusion about where we are currently at. We are for the last year or two and for the next few going to be a poor county team. We just don’t have the quality to compete for trophies at this time. How can we expect to be in any other position considering how poor we have been at u21 and minor level for years now. Sure we’ll have a few Shamrocks players to come back but as was said here already apart from TJ who’s going to be a scoring threat. Also it has to be remembered he is now 30 and can’t be relied upon to do everything. Yes with everyone on our day we might pull off a surprise result but we just don’t have 15 good enough players never mind a strong panel. A less than 50% win rate since the 2016 all Ireland final tells its own story. Maybe in a few years we might be back seriously competing but we need to be realistic where we’re at at the moment. Winning Leinster is miles away from us at the moment never mind an all Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭usualstripes

Lads. A bit of perspective here. There’s a lot of delusion about where we are currently at. We are for the last year or two and for the next few going to be a poor county team. We just don’t have the quality to compete for trophies at this time. How can we expect to be in any other position considering how poor we have been at u21 and minor level for years now. Sure we’ll have a few Shamrocks players to come back but as was said here already apart from TJ who’s going to be a scoring threat. Also it has to be remembered he is now 30 and can’t be relied upon to do everything. Yes with everyone on our day we might pull off a surprise result but we just don’t have 15 good enough players never mind a strong panel. A less than 50% win rate since the 2016 all Ireland final tells its own story. Maybe in a few years we might be back seriously competing but we need to be realistic where we’re at at the moment. Winning Leinster is miles away from us at the moment never mind an all Ireland.

Here's my view after just landing home. I don't think people are delusional as to where we are at and to say winning leinster is miles away for us currently is more delusional than how you think others may view us.
    The fact is yes it was as poor a performance as we have had in a long time, especially in the 2nd half but we just did not play to our strengths. We got horsed out of most of the 50/50s and our fielding of the ball was very poor. We allowed wexford to tear us asunder when we were in possession. We have to be faster moving the ball to the right areas and our distribution today was poor to say the least. We don't at the minute have the speed to get away from the opposition but better distribution and passing will help. Very few of our lads actually hurled well today and getting caught in possession is criminal the way it happened today but it's not the end of this team.
    They have so much more to offer but they have to work on an awful lot between now and championship. Padraig needs to be back in the half back line as his distribution from there is better than fogartys. Donnelly struggling at the minute but Leahy and hogan need to have sustained runs in the team imo. Fogarty caught out badly for the goal.
    Anyone know how far away Buckley is from playing?

Leahy and either fogarty or Maher in the middle for me.
    Tough conditions today but it was the same for the wexford lads. We need a leader in there but come the business end of the season if we are ok with injuries I absolutely expect the lads to be in a quarter final and from there who knows.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭C__MC

Mick Dempsey is a top coach by my god Kilkenny strength and conditioning is mediocre at best in comparison to other team

• Registered Users Posts: 4,775 ✭✭✭kksaints

Terrible second half performance from us. Forwards didn't win a tap. Questions have to be asked as to why there is an insistence on playing high ball into the forwards when it is fairly obvious that it isn't working.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭mullinr2

Shocking stuff in the second half. We have optimistic posters on this forum who still think we can mix it with the top teams. We are miles off the standard of Limerick, Clare and Galway. Even though we bet them a few weeks ago, Tipp have a much better team than us

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭Village87

kksaints wrote: »
    Terrible second half performance from us. Forwards didn't win a tap. Questions have to be asked as to why there is an insistence on playing high ball into the forwards when it is fairly obvious that it isn't working.

Basic lack of skills for the goal. Fogarty mistake of not being able to pick the ball led to a turnover. Mistakes like this all match and poor striking makes it very difficult for quick efficient ball. Skill levels at on all time low

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Anyway I'm less interested in who starts than seeing if we actually have a plan for dealing with the sweeper. We usually seem to play as if we've been ambushed by a completely unexpected tactic against Wexford.

At least you got that question answered.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,775 ✭✭✭kksaints

Village87 wrote: »
    Basic lack of skills for the goal. Fogarty mistake of not being able to pick the ball led to a turnover. Mistakes like this all match and poor striking makes it very difficult for quick efficient ball. Skill levels at on all time low

The goal was very preventable. Ball should have been cleared instead of running into 2 Wexford players first of all. After that the Kilkenny player on the line should have tapped out for a 65 when under pressure instead of trying to rise it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭Powerhouse

But it wasn't a great performance in Thurles. The result in the end might have made it appear so but over a 15 minute period during the second half in Thurles they went from 0-13 to 0-9 up to 0-15 to 0-13 down and Tipperary missed two scoreable free during that time. Kilkenny got out of jail really.

There's a lot of bi-polar stuff that goes on here where huge amounts are read into wins which are no big deal, ordinary performances by young players are exaggerated into feats of incredible promise and then it's the end of the world when a defeat is bad. Likewise far too much was read into last year's League final win. Kilkenny have an uphill task ahead and it will take time, possibly in the context of actually winning All Ireland titles a very long time. That's probably the reality irrespective of performances in individual games.

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭conor05

This Wexford team does not fear Kilkenny one bit. Most of their panel were beating Kilkenny for a few years at under 21 level and that hasn’t carried into the senior team on a few occasions since 2017.

I think the fact we have to play our last LSHC game in Wexford Park in June is a tricky one.

Winner of that probably plays Galway in the Leinster final.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Topcat32

mullinr2 wrote: »
    Shocking stuff in the second half. We have optimistic posters on this forum who still think we can mix it with the top teams. We are miles off the standard of Limerick, Clare and Galway. Even though we bet them a few weeks ago, Tipp have a much better team than us

I don't think there are many posters who feel we are all Ireland contenders, they just want to be somewhat positive about the team they support, maybe some wishful thinking going on about some of the players but I guess some posters dont just come on here after a loss.

Having said that I just don't see an inter county future for Alan Murphy and Ger Malone, Conor Martin has barely been seen and unfortunately isnt a division 1 senior hurler, Martin Keoghan and Tommy Walsh are way too light at the moment and I dont see Keoghan as a natural forward, Paddy Deegan isnt a central back and Jason Cleere hasn't progressed since he got on the panel. The rest of the younger lads have mixed the good with the very ordinary, often in the same game. Positive points are that we are at least trying to solve the full back issue and the younger lads will learn from this experience.

If we get TJ, Richie, Colin Fennelly, Ger Aylward into the forwards and if at all possible Buckley into the backs we can make the quarter finals and put up a decent showing but that's probably about the height of where we can go this year.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement