Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread Part 3 **MOD NOTE POST 1***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭C__MC

Who will get of Leinster folks now with Dublin’s revival?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭Powerhouse

Hawkeye6 wrote: »
    Interesting.
    So who do you say will win the 2019 All-ireland senior Hurling Final then?

Not sure if your post deliberately has a tone of "well, you know it all so tell me who'll win the All-Ireland". Really my opinion (on the destination of the All-Ireland title) is not the reason I replied.

I'm just applying facts to the discussion. Had a look at a bookmaker's website just now and I see that Galway are 11/4 to win the All-Ireland while Wexford are 25/1 so the idea that there are 7/8 counties locked together is not an opinion shared by people looking at it objectively.

The League table is what it is and might give the impression of equality but chances are we'll end up with a Galway-Limerick League final in the end, same as last year's All-Ireland.

For what it's worth my opinion would not waver from that of this particular bookie which would be that the All-Ireland title is unlikely to go outside Galway, Cork or Limerick.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 157 ✭✭Hawkeye6

Powerhouse wrote: »
    For what it's worth my opinion would not waver from that of this particular bookie which would be that the All-Ireland title is unlikely to go outside Galway, Cork or Limerick.

Thanks for that, but people here are able to surf to bookies websites themselves.
    Even at that in your argument against levelling off, you have 30% of the participants have a chance. (Ok if you want to be pedantic and lower that include, the McDonagh Cup winners)
    Thought with your original reply you had opinions of your own. Your bookie pal then gives no hope to Kilkenny, Tipperary, Waterford, Clare or Wexford. I wonder how highly they rated Limerick this time last year. Anyway this is a conversation that serves no purpose and offers no insight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭Powerhouse

Hawkeye6 wrote: »

Your bookie pal then gives no hope to Kilkenny, Tipperary, Waterford, Clare or Wexford.

Who said the bookies give "no hope" to these counties you mention? They just give them less of a chance than others. If you surfed to bookies' websites more often you'll find that they are more than happy to take money for mugs who want to back Kilkenny or Tipperary for the All-Ireland. At no stage will they tell you they have "no hope". Then again they'll probably also give you odds on Elvis being the Grand Marshall of next year's Saint Patrick's Day parade.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

Ballyhale some outfit.

Great performance

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭kk.man

There has been much talk of Offally demise and Carlow's rise in hurling however I think Kilkenny should be causing more headlines.
    I stand corrected but Kilkenny got relegated once in the last 40 odd years of the league. When they did they bounced back but I would have fear on this occasion it might not be as simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭brookville

Ballyhale some outfit.

Great performance

Great win for them.colin had one of those days when everything went right for him.i thought darren mullen hit a lot of ball and is very intelligent on the ball.maybe he needs to tidy up his tackling a bit although the foward made the most out of the penalty incident.
    Adrian if his giving any space will punish teams.
    Fair play to henry he had them moving well and its a fair achievement giving the big turnover over the last few years.A great club congratulations to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Topcat32

kk.man wrote: »
    There has been much talk of Offally demise and Carlow's rise in hurling however I think Kilkenny should be causing more headlines.
    I stand corrected but Kilkenny got relegated once in the last 40 odd years of the league. When they did they bounced back but I would have fear on this occasion it might not be as simple.

Not sure what you mean, there is no relegation this year and no such thing as promotion next year unless your in division 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

Whatever you do don't take off that tin hat.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭gobo99

For Kilkenny to be relegated we would have to finish bottom of our group below Laois and Carlow and then lose a relegation play off to Westmeath. That would make a few headlines alright.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭dobbs2210

Conor O'Shea has left the Kilkenny panel today.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭kk.man

gobo99 wrote: »
    For Kilkenny to be relegated we would have to finish bottom of our group below Laois and Carlow and then lose a relegation play off to Westmeath. That would make a few headlines alright.

I'm not saying that we will get relegated but just that we got 'relegated' from the A to the B. We have nearly always been in the A in my 40 odd years following Kk when all other teams have not had the same longevity.

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭conor05

7th All Ireland Senior club title for Ballyhale. What an achievement for a rural club.

I’d say Cody will take a look at the Mullen’s and maybe Evan Shefflin.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭kkclubhurling

Great win for Shamrocks, they’ve a sharp turn around now with three weeks until the first game of KK club season.

In some ways it’s a shame none of their players will get a chance to play for the county until May, it’s a potentially big call but I really think Adrian Mullen could be parachuted into the first 15 against Dublin, TJ and Colin are certainties and I think Joey might get into the backs especially with Delaney out. I’d not be one bit surprised to see Evan Shefflin feature in match day 26 come the summer!

On a side note I wondered during the game today, was it a bad day at the office for Thomas’, in my opinion the majority of senior clubs in the county would have put up a greater fight vs Shamrocks today. A lot of people are worried about a potential drought or whatever you want to call it but for me when you see Kilkenny clubs consistently in the business end of club competitions (especially at junior and intermediate ) and the competitiveness of our senior and intermediate club grades it’s hard to imagine Kilkenny will be away from the top table for too long.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭savannahkat

What a great performance from Ballyhale Shamrocks the Kilkenny and now All Ireland senior club hurling champions. Not only did they win today they won looking back. So much for the detractors who bemoaned the standard of club hurling in Kilkenny all through the year. The Shamrocks did not win any of their Kilkenny championship games even remotely as easily as they won this one. The young players from the Shamrocks were outstanding today not one of them did not perform.
    With Tj Reid, Colin Fennelly, Eoin Cody, Adrian Mullins, Joey Holden Darren Mullen all more than capable of playing to the highest inter county standard Kilkenny will not remotely look like the Kilkenny team who played through the league. That Ger Alyward and Ritchie Hogan also mssed the majority of the league and with the possibility of Cillian Buckley being back I fail to see what in the name of all that is holy are those who say Kilkenny will be lucky to return from Division 1B in the foreseeable future or cannot win an AllIreland in the foreseeable future Along with the experience gained by the likes of Leahy, Donnelly, Ryan, Blanchfield, Lawlor, Walsh and Delaney in the league Kilkennys cup is a whole lot fuller than the empty vessel some on here would have us all believe. Well done to the Shamrocks and weel done to Brian Cody for the way he used the league.

dobbs2210 wrote: »
    Conor O'Shea has left the Kilkenny panel today.

Not suprised with this or conor martin.I thought conor might have made the breakthrough a few years ago has size and strenght but he got a lot of chances.i thought he was never aggressive enough and probably lacked a bit of pace.thanks for their services but with a lot of the shamrocks lads to come in and the injureds to come back it was going to be hard for these lads to get in.
    Id like to get darren and adrian mullen into the set up both have great potential.

Are you actually serious?? :eek:

In fairness that cannot be classed as a relegation. That was a nothing game. Nothing at stake. Kilkenny are still in the top division and both 1a and 1b are of equal weight.

Actually this suits Kilkenny because they now have two games they can try a good few new players in (all due respect to Laois and Carlow)

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭dobbs2210

Pat Lyng dropped from the Kilkenny panel by the management team.

dobbs2210 wrote: »
    Pat Lyng dropped from the Kilkenny panel by the management team.

When the 2 of them came off at half time yesterday it didnt look good.ger malone will do well to hold on id say.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,319 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Congrats to Ballyhale today. They won it so, so easily... maybe a combination of Ballyhale being so good, and St. Thomas having a really bad day at the office. It looked like the Shamrocks had a good few more gears available if needed.

As another poster said, Colin had one of those days where the majority of things went his way and he caused his marker(s) a huge amount of trouble. TJ was a level above everyone else as usual. And I really like the look of Adrian Mullen... I could see him in the senior team very soon. A few others should make it on to the panel too.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 157 ✭✭Hawkeye6

I'm not saying that we will get relegated but just that we got 'relegated' from the A to the B. We have nearly always been in the A in my 40 odd years following Kk when all other teams have not had the same longevity.

You are struggling big time here.
    THERE WAS NO RELEGATION.

I know a few posters have tried to tell you and against my better judgement I will try too (I think you could be taking the you know). Here's a few facts to help you understand.

Wexford finished 2nd in Division 1A - In 2020 they will be in Division 1B - Did they get relegated too.

Clare finished 3rd in Division 1A - In 2020 they will be in Division 1B - Did they get relegated too.

Dublin WON in Division 1B - In 2020 they will be still in Division 1B - Did they NOT get promoted.

Do you understand whats happening yet???
    Do you understand why people were saying yesterdays game against Cork was the most farcical to take place in the history of the National League?

Please let people know you understand at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,870 ✭✭✭Brian017

I can't believe people are going on about our "Relegation". It's simple of teams had finished in a different way we could have had a Group A consisting of all the teams in Group B and a Group B of all the teams in Group A. Division 1A and 1B are no longer hence the term "Group". It's just the way things worked out that Group B is the weaker one so it looks like a relegation into another division.

Congrats to the Shamrocks today, they are a huge outfit that could dominate Kilkenny and beyond for many years if they have the hunger to

What a great performance from Ballyhale Shamrocks the Kilkenny and now All Ireland senior club hurling champions. Not only did they win today they won looking back. So much for the detractors who bemoaned the standard of club hurling in Kilkenny all through the year. The Shamrocks did not win any of their Kilkenny championship games even remotely as easily as they won this one. The young players from the Shamrocks were outstanding today not one of them did not perform.
    With Tj Reid, Colin Fennelly, Eoin Cody, Adrian Mullins, Joey Holden Darren Mullen all more than capable of playing to the highest inter county standard Kilkenny will not remotely look like the Kilkenny team who played through the league. That Ger Alyward and Ritchie Hogan also mssed the majority of the league and with the possibility of Cillian Buckley being back I fail to see what in the name of all that is holy are those who say Kilkenny will be lucky to return from Division 1B in the foreseeable future or cannot win an AllIreland in the foreseeable future Along with the experience gained by the likes of Leahy, Donnelly, Ryan, Blanchfield, Lawlor, Walsh and Delaney in the league Kilkennys cup is a whole lot fuller than the empty vessel some on here would have us all believe. Well done to the Shamrocks and weel done to Brian Cody for the way he used the league.

Could be wrong but I'd doubt Eoin Cody will be on the senior panel this year, he is still in secondary school, not a given that he wont be involved but very unlikely. Adrian Mullen will be involved and I'd love to see Darren on the team, just wish he was a bit taller.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭dubcat51

Colin fennelly was unmarkable today.reminded me of the 2016 semi replay v waterford when he destroyed coughlan.joey tj colin and the 2 mullens should all make the panel I M O

• Registered Users Posts: 1,964 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

Going on wikipedia ballyhale have 7 county titles sense 2006 which has yielded 5 leinster's and 4 all Ireland's, theres obviously a special culture and belief in that club.

Reminds me of Wales in the rugby who when they smell a grand slam close out the deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭conor05

Going on wikipedia ballyhale have 7 county titles sense 2006 which has yielded 5 leinster's and 4 all Ireland's, theres obviously a special culture and belief in that club.

Reminds me of Wales in the rugby who when they smell a grand slam close out the deal.

And also the seed has been planted with all 10, 11, 12 year olds and upwards from Ballyhale who were up in Croke Park today looking at their heroes that they too can someday emulate their heroes.

Tradition is great but a winning tradition is like gold dust.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭Grats

Congratulations to Ballyhale Shamrocks on their brilliant win today. Wonderful ambassadors for Kilkenny hurling down through the years, continues with their latest crop. Can only be good for the hurling scene in Kilkenny.

I agree with a lot of this.we have given a huge amount of gametime to a lot of players who have very good potential
    I liked the look of brassil saturday.michael cody tried hard it was a fair baptism to inter county marking kingston or lehane but hopefully he can learn.
    ballyhale winning has given us a lift and putting up big scores during the year.
    The only criticism i would have is after the leauge there is alot of question marks over who will be 3 or 6 or alot of positions.The bhale lads will probably get a week or 2 off then we have club matches then maybe 2 weeks prep for leinster.Its not much time to work with alot of players to come back.we have seen previously its not as easy integrate lads back in and playing to a system or style.
    I always liked the look of darren and adrian mullen and i wouldnt be afraid throw either of them in the summer.
    Its probably a pity we didnt unearth a few scoring fowards during the league or ball winning fowards but cody is working on donnelly,leahy and billy ryan hopefully they become consistent performers.
    If you throw tj in along with colin,wally,hogan things should look different we're hoping aylward and these lads come back from injury but i wouldnt be suprised to see adrian mullen thrown in against dublin and the one thing he carries is a scoring threat something we've being lacking.

I know a few people on here get a little annoyed when posters start picking teams but just for something to do on a Bank Holiday Monday morning I'd see the below as our first team right now, excluding Buckley on the basis of the uncertainty of his return date from injury

Eoin Murphy

Paul Murphy Huw Lawlor Joey Holden

Padraig Walsh Paddy Deegan Conor Delaney

Conor Fogarty James Maher

Adrian Mullen TJ Reid Walter Walsh

Richie Hogan Colin Fennelly Ger Aylward

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭dubcat51

Topcat32 wrote: »
    I know a few people on here get a little annoyed when posters start picking teams but just for something to do on a Bank Holiday Monday morning I'd see the below as our first team right now, excluding Buckley on the basis of the uncertainty of his return date from injury

Eoin Murphy

Paul Murphy Huw Lawlor Joey Holden

Padraig Walsh Paddy Deegan Conor Delaney

Conor Fogarty James Maher

Adrian Mullen TJ Reid Walter Walsh

Richie Hogan Colin Fennelly Ger Aylward
    Like the 6 forwards
    My other 9
    1.E murphy
    2P murphy
    3H lawlor
    4.j holden
    5.P walsh
    6.P deegan
    7.E morrisey
    8.J maher
    9.R leahy.

Think delaney will be suspended for dub game(I maybe wrong)if buckey fit would play him instead of morrisey.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement